Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This is absolutely amazing in every way possible, i dont like that some of the older raids are being removed, but everything you have come up with from the new areas too the changes to northrend and it's new story are just golden, wish this was the new expansion. a man can dream i suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Update - Stuff!

This update I present, the Path of War, a new way of leveling characters.

http://www.wowpedia.org/User:GoldenYak/The_Path_of_War

The wowpedia page covers most of the details, but hopefully people can get the gist of it from these images:

Now, some basic points in the form of Q & A:
    Q - Why a new leveling system?
    A - Why not? I'm getting a little bored just grinding away one massive bar of experience for a day or two to get some bulk stat bonus. The Path of War lets people upgrade their characters continually over the course of the leveling process, unlocking different rewards for playing different ways, all the while working towards that sweet, sweet Ding! sound.

Q - What's with the three rows of stuff?
    A - Those are the three paths - Lore Seeker, Dungeon Master, and Warmonger. Each level has these three paths, and playing different ways will unlock the nodes along each path. Once unlocked, nodes can be switched on to grant bonuses.

Q - How exactly do I level up?
    A - Players advance to the next level by activating at least 8 path nodes. Unlocking the nodes depends on which path the node is on - it can be anything from slaying elite monsters in a dungeon to gathering herbs to capturing the flag in battlegrounds.

Q - Why a cap of 93?

A - The Path of War has much more to do per level than previous levels. It also lets players go back and unlock bonuses for previous levels that they've already completed, so each level has tons of rewards to acquire beyond simple advancing. Also, three zones, three levels made sense to me.

Q - Won't some of these rewards break the hell out of the game?
    A - Possibly. I am by no means a game designer, and I have little understanding of WoW mechanics beyond the few that I use to run around and stab/immolate stuff. So it's entirely possible that I've missed some point that will unravel this whole idea. Oh well!

More Monsters

Sylla'ban, Whisper of the Unspoken. The heroic mode only boss of the Doorward Underhalls.

Nerubian Newbreed Spiderlord
    Wholly unlike the darkly noble Spiderlords of the lost ages of Azjol-Nerub, this newest generation of nerubian leaders epitomizes the debased savagery and brute power of the Newbreed. Possessing none of the keen intellect of their predecessors, the Newbreed Spiderlords are little more than living tanks - colossal creatures of armor and bladed limbs that tower over their smaller kin. Only when guided by the Spiderminds do these creatures display any kind of battlefield acumen or military tactics - without that direction, the Spiderlords charge heedlessly into combat, rending their victims asunder with berserk er fury.

Spiderlords are covered in a heavy carapace, and this natural armor is further reinforced with plates of forged saronite, making them impervious to virtually any attack. They storm forwards on four massive legs, with one upper pair of limbs invariably clutching massive swords or axes. Their second pair of upper limbs are mantis-like talons, serrated and powerful enough to snap a fully armored humanoid in two.
    And, because it's not all spider monsters:

Gastrolith
    The immense gastrolith is a disgusting denizen of Azeroth's underworld. Resembling a slug the size of a kodobeast, these slimy beasts ooze their way through caves and tunnels, slurping up anything they can roll over. A gastrolith can be deceptively fast, and make almost no noise as the move, enabling them to overtake much faster prey by surprise. Anything engulfed by the slimy body of a gastrolith will soon find itself sucked into the fleshy beast's stomach and digested with potent acids. When threatened, the gastrolith can spray its digestive juices at a foe. When a gastrolith rears up to attack, it exposes its gaping mouth - a great black tunnel lined with row upon row of tiny, hook-like teeth.

Mole Bear
    The mole bears are one of the deadliest creatures of the underworld. Fiercely territorial, they will attack intruders on sight, carving apart their enemy with their massive taloned paws, while absorbing damage with their durable, rock-like hide. Mole Bears are blind, but their sense of smell and hearing is keen and they have no trouble locating prey, or a threat. Their talons are extremely durable, allowing them to burrow through dirt, rock, and ice. Often these creatures will burrow partially into the wall or floor of a tunnel, covering themselves in a layer of detritus as a disguise, and bursting forth to attack when unwitting prey draws near.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Khonorum View Post
    sorry, i wouldn't like an entire expansion based on spiders as i am afraid of spiders : (
    Quote Originally Posted by Firen View Post
    I'm not particularly fond of spiders and would rather fight unicorns and rainbows
    No wonder the nerubians hate everybody - everybody hates them right back.

Quote Originally Posted by Arakanub View Post
    Write more please, it looks so cool. Wish Blizzard did this after Pandaria.
    Hey, if Pandaria gets its own expansion, no one can say this idea is too far out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumskittles View Post
    This is absolutely amazing in every way possible, i dont like that some of the older raids are being removed, but everything you have come up with from the new areas too the changes to northrend and it's new story are just golden, wish this was the new expansion. a man can dream i suppose.
    Indeed. Thanks for posting.

man you are really good, I've always wanted wow to go darker and more mature and scarier stuff.

I would have liked the next expansion to be almost completely underground so you level from 85-90 completely in the darkness of caverns and underground towns and cities. It could have opened up from Deathwings cataclysm of the Azeroth. I would have loved to see Dwarves and goblins taken on a bigger role as the ones to progress and lead the story and the charge into this sub terranian Expansion. Just as TBC took on an Alien outworld theme, and Northrend a Cold wintery theme. Next expansion should have gone deeper underground into a magical under world.

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 08:20 PM ----------

GUYS!!!! this is CHRIS METZEN! Look at the style of art and the in depth design there is no way some anonymous RANDOM dude could have designs something this awesome!

Its METZEN HIMSELF! trying to propose an alternative Expanison in a grass root populous sort of way. Hes come on here to test the waters and get real world feed back on an alternative Expansion to MOP!

There is no way some random dude can just produce quality game design like this!

GUYS COME ON ITS METZEN!

10+ Year Old Account
    What? No. Tha... that's ridiculous.

((Blue alert! I've been made! Swarm! Swarm! Swarm!))

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post

Man.. your art is awesome, your concepts are awesome, what are you doing here? Blizzard sucks for not hiring you :P

anyway, can you whisp me what programs you use for the concept arts of your monster and how you got into that style etc? I really dig this type of art but i suck at it.

Your skills are amazing. Or ''impressive. Most impressive."

but your pencil style is just like Metzen, I know cuz I've been a fan of his since early warcraft, I used to just stare at all his drawings wishing I could draw that well.

---------- Post added 2011-11-10 at 04:51 AM ----------

ok everyone look at this Golden Yak's threads posts, everything hes posted is very GAME DEVELOPER BASED with seemingly very detailed and in depth knowledge of game design, if he isn't Metzen himself, YOU must be either working at Blizzard or in some capacity a game developing company.

I can't believe no one else sees what i see.

I thought wow players were smart!

Update - Stuff!
    This update I present, the Path of War, a new way of leveling characters.
    Can I have your babies ?

Seriously. There's been talk about removing the 'grind' from MMO's... but this is awesome.

I can see a quest branch, PvE branch, and PvP branch. Like say level 15-16 can be achieved by say... 'be declared a hero of westfall by completing a certain westfall quest hub', 'defeat captain cookie', or 'capture a flag in warsong gulch'. (ok, maybe the pvp objectives would need a little extra work to avoid total exploiting, but I love the concept, and it gives players an incentive to 'finish off' a quest region aside from cosmetic achievements or something.... without making them 'mandatory attunements'.)

I can see the future of MMO's in this system.

just want to point out that yogg-saron and the other old gods are not dead, but are pushed back into confinement under azeroth after their defeat

---------- Post added 2011-11-10 at 12:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    man you are really good, I've always wanted wow to go darker and more mature and scarier stuff.

I would have liked the next expansion to be almost completely underground so you level from 85-90 completely in the darkness of caverns and underground towns and cities. It could have opened up from Deathwings cataclysm of the Azeroth. I would have loved to see Dwarves and goblins taken on a bigger role as the ones to progress and lead the story and the charge into this sub terranian Expansion. Just as TBC took on an Alien outworld theme, and Northrend a Cold wintery theme. Next expansion should have gone deeper underground into a magical under world.

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 08:20 PM ----------

GUYS!!!! this is CHRIS METZEN! Look at the style of art and the in depth design there is no way some anonymous RANDOM dude could have designs something this awesome!

Its METZEN HIMSELF! trying to propose an alternative Expanison in a grass root populous sort of way. Hes come on here to test the waters and get real world feed back on an alternative Expansion to MOP!

There is no way some random dude can just produce quality game design like this!

GUYS COME ON ITS METZEN!
    because no one else can be creative and develop a concept like this?

Signature by Kenz

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, this expansion Idea looks very good... I would play it!

Hell, thats amazing good job ! M8, seriously, you are alone going it better than all Blizzard employees with this all panda shit !

guys this is Metzen!

The path of war, was something he himself already proposed before Cata and I think it was even before Wrath, back then it was called Path of Titans! Come on seriously you guys don't see it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I just got to say I'm loving your expansion and I don't mind going back to Northrend at all and finishing off the rest of the undead and the other stuff that Northrend has to offer.
    I'm looking forward if it happens to go back after Mists of Pandaria and let my Pandaren Monk have the floor with the spiders of this expansion.
    Last edited by rcshaggy; 2011-11-10 at 07:38 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ssviolett View Post
    Hell, thats amazing good job ! M8, seriously, you are alone going it better than all Blizzard employees with this all panda shit !
    This!!! I think that it is indeed Metzen himself but if not then he would make a better expansion than all of the blizz devs together

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    I can't believe no one else sees what i see.
    Alright, you caught me. I admit it. Go forth, tell all who will listen, the next WoW expansion can be found within this thread! By their shared belief, it will be so!

ok everyone look at this Golden Yak's threads posts, everything hes posted is very GAME DEVELOPER BASED with seemingly very detailed and in depth knowledge of game design, if he isn't Metzen himself, YOU must be either working at Blizzard or in some capacity a game developing company.
    It's a lucky many who can turn his hobby into a career, to be sure.

The path of war, was something he himself already proposed before Cata and I think it was even before Wrath, back then it was called Path of Titans!
    The Path of War was indeed inspired by the Path of the Titans. The idea of a way to improve your characters beyond getting better gear was very attractive to me, and I was disappointed when it was cut. I started thinking about ways to revive it for this expansion concept, and it eventually evolved into the Path of War leveling system.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I can see a quest branch, PvE branch, and PvP branch.
    Pretty much. In this case there's some overlap between quest and PvE - the Lore Seeker path involves outdoor questing and zone progression as well as crafting and profession stuff, while the Dungeon Master path involves dungeons and raids. Questing and dungeon running are the most popular methods for leveling, so I felt it worked to give them both separate paths.

Quote Originally Posted by angelx7x View Post
    just want to point out that yogg-saron and the other old gods are not dead, but are pushed back into confinement under azeroth after their defeat
    All the lore at this point indicates that after his defeat, C'Thun has left behind a rotting physical form in the ruins of Ahn'Qiraj, a shell emptied of the Old God's evil power, with a lingering malign essence haunting his chamber. Yogg-Saron currently exists in a similar state.

Deleted
    As much as I loved the whole viking stuff in northrend - it makes 0 sense to re-develop and go over expansions that gave continents (Would be the same with outland but that it getting outdated itself

I love this idea, make northrend useful and cool. I was really dissapointed with how hyped up vykruls were before wrath and then were basically the naga of cata... Would love for the Leader to be a raid boss instead of an annoying heroic farm, There is also a great unused potential with the spider kingdom

It's a lucky many who can turn his hobby into a career, to be sure.

yeah too bad your work doesn't look like someones' "HOBBY" to me at all, too many people these days confuse hobbies and work, I don't make that mistake, I know professional grade quality design and a deep understanding of the game and lore thats way beyond someone's personal hobby.

If Blizz can "test the waters" of MoP through an April Fools Joke, I don't see why they can't do the same with another expansion in this sneaky back doors sort of way.

And a lot of what you propose do seem like what Blizz Devs have been working on, but they seemed to got lazy with Cata and didn't put into the game.

LOL if you take a condescending tone with me I will suspect you're Ghostcrawler! HAHA!

Deleted
    Pretty awesome work. Especially your artwork!

Although it would be pretty boring with an expansion with just spiders.

this is pretty incredible, how much thought you've given to it. nice work.

@ http://www.wowpedia.org/User:GoldenYak/The_Path_of_War

Pretty nice, man .

I have plans to remake Path of the Titans in something like this: you follow each dragon aspect, and become a "prestige" class. Would work similar to Diablo III Runestone effects over abilities.

I must improve it a lot, and even more now you made your system so awesome lol.