Thread: Ring of Frost

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the ring too.
    Frost mages already had good stuff in BC, I was baffled when I saw shattered barrier in WotLK, thinking "who the hell thought mages need another freeze that they have to do NOTHING to get it off? Frostbite is already lame as hell"
    When I saw Ring of Frost in the Beta, I was only facepalming. So mages really needed ANOTHER slow, PLUS an AoE disable?
    And don´t come with the ridiculous "well don´t stand in it noob lol!" where the hell should I stand when the mage is inside of it spamming frostbolts at me as a melee?
    Things that have to change are
    1. EVERYONE or at least the mage himself should be frozen when standing in it
    2. The 10 sec freeze should ONLY occur after the 3 sec, after that entering the ring should only slow (witch is strong enough already)
    3. The freeze shoud be on a DR with Roots

Druids can not infact shift out of poly, we're just immune to it as long as we're in form. @whoever wondered. ^^

A good mage is the hard counter to a feral, has been so for a long while now, mainly because of iceblock. Once the feral is out of cooldowns, or doesn't have them for some other reason you shouldn't really lose as a mage.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Praestigium View Post
    Any damage breaks the effect.

Also, this ability is so easy to avoid and takes a full 3 seconds to take effect. Stop complaining
    This is not true or it must be bugged.
    In my experience it does not break on damage, atleast not like polymorph.
    I play feral druid and did some 2v2 with a mage friend of mine.
    We could drop people from 100% to 0% in one Ring of Frost, so it deffinetly doesn't break on the first hit.

It's a different version of the frost DK ability. The thing is you can avoid this one. Stop complaining...
    Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    Hi i am any class in the game. To beat me spam icelance and then talk about how skilled you are when the 20k crits roll in.

i love the new ability personally. its great for mass pvp like AV, and dropping it on their back healer/hunter lines and then aoe'ing the front line. its a perfect complement to the ae's we have, which another damage one would've been redundant, and i've always hated how little affect i could have on a back healing line since they easily heal thru my ae these days.

most players at this point should know when there is a circle around them to move out of it just from fighting DK's. the only hard part is distinguishing between it being a teammates or the enemy but honestly if you're half experienced in pvp, and see a circle growing around you, its obvious you should move. you should be conditioned to at this point...

---------- Post added 2010-12-20 at 10:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post
    Druids can not infact shift out of poly, we're just immune to it as long as we're in form. @whoever wondered. ^^

A good mage is the hard counter to a feral, has been so for a long while now, mainly because of iceblock. Once the feral is out of cooldowns, or doesn't have them for some other reason you shouldn't really lose as a mage.

i think the opposite. a good feral is the best counter to a mage. no other class can put pressure on a mage like a feral, and they can bypass almost all of the mages strengths other than deep freeze unless they save their trinket or have it up. there are a lot of ferals tho that aren't the best at movement or shifting, but the ones that can on a dime are some of the most difficult fights for a mage IMO.

most other classes are much more easily kitable.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why don't we all cry about running into a whirl winding wartard. Its three secs before it hits. And if you take more than 3 secs to react in pvp you won't make it very far anyway. I don't get it, ppl want this game to be a challenge but complain when somethings hard.

rant over

And yes Candyass, i agree, a good feral will tear a frost mage apart. Only class I try to avoid in bg's.

---------- Post added 2010-12-20 at 11:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnpaw View Post
    This is not true or it must be bugged.
    In my experience it does not break on damage, atleast not like polymorph.
    I play feral druid and did some 2v2 with a mage friend of mine.
    We could drop people from 100% to 0% in one Ring of Frost, so it deffinetly doesn't break on the first hit.
    Shatter combo, deep freeze repeat. Ive never gotten 2 full shatters off on a RoF target without DFing them.

Only thing that bothers me with this as a melee is that it's so fucking OP when protecting yourself/your healer. As a double melee in 2v2, or even melee + dps, it's so god damn annoying when the healer is getting low and mage casts the ring and the healer just goes to the middle of it and heals to full. I think it should freeze friendly targets aswell, then it would be fine ability IMO.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fear the target out, or death grip them, run in pop trink and nuke the weak healer, lots of ways around this. It will just take time for ppl to learn its weaknesses. And in RoFs defense, Mortal strike will now also put the healing debuff on you as well, there fixed.

I agree it is a bit op, reduce the radius a touch or make it a 4-5sec activate and it will be fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelos View Post
    Only thing that bothers me with this as a melee is that it's so fucking OP when protecting yourself/your healer. As a double melee in 2v2, or even melee + dps, it's so god damn annoying when the healer is getting low and mage casts the ring and the healer just goes to the middle of it and heals to full. I think it should freeze friendly targets aswell, then it would be fine ability IMO.
    I hate to tell you this...but that's the point of the spell: protecting a key point. It's like saying you think a car is OP compared to your boat because it can be used on roads.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Christ View Post
    Ring of Frost is like trolling in spell form. It's almost as good as blowing Time Warp in the AV cave.
    Sig-worthy, imo.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    I hate to tell you this...but that's the point of the spell: protecting a key point. It's like saying you think a car is OP compared to your boat because it can be used on roads.
    Funny thing is that they have ENOUGH shit not to mention they stole Hero/Lust from Shamans.

My fights with mages ALWAYS are...

I attack
    Mage does frost nova
    I use wolves to get out
    Mage uses cone of cold
    Have to wait then get back on mage
    Mage blinks
    I get on again
    Mage ice blocks
    Mage frost novas
    Mage blinks
    Repeat until mage has a friend to come save him

They don't need ring of frost and honestly cold snap should have a 3-5 minute CD and evocation shouldn't heal.
    Last edited by BlueRising; 2010-12-21 at 01:39 AM.
    1. Search feature never works for me 2. No, there isn't a thread answering exactly what I'm asking for

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRising View Post
    Funny thing is that they have ENOUGH shit not to mention they stole Hero/Lust from Shamans.

My fights with mages ALWAYS are...

I attack
    Mage does frost nova
    I use wolves to get out
    Mage uses cone of cold
    Have to wait then get back on mage
    Mage blinks
    I get on again
    Mage ice blocks
    Mage frost novas
    Mage blinks
    Repeat until mage has a friend to come save him

They don't need ring of frost and honestly cold snap should have a 3-5 minute CD and evocation shouldn't heal.
    Let me ask you this: if you're not doing any damage to the mage, as you claim without any actual evidence, then what purpose does the Ice Block serve? Is it, as I believe, just you spouting off abilities that you don't have to bolster an argument disproven by Arena representation and actual gameplay? As an enhancement shaman, use Feral Spirit and spam purge. No Ice Barrier, no Mana Shield, no FoF, no Icy Veins, no Mage Ward, no defense left on the part of the Mage. Hell, CoC and Frost Nova share DR and the mage has no reason to Blink if you're not doing damage. If he is using his defensive abilities, it means he's taking enough damage from you to warrant them.

Lastly, Cold Snap is an eight minute CD, talented down to 6.4 minutes, which means you want to shorten it to help the Mage? Or do you just want to admit that you really have no idea what you're complaining about? Also, L2Wind Shear Evocation, and say hello to Maelstrom Weapon for me will ya?
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Let me ask you this: if you're not doing any damage to the mage, as you claim without any actual evidence, then what purpose does the Ice Block serve? Is it, as I believe, just you spouting off abilities that you don't have to bolster an argument disproven by Arena representation and actual gameplay? As an enhancement shaman, use Feral Spirit and spam purge. No Ice Barrier, no Mana Shield, no FoF, no Icy Veins, no Mage Ward, no defense left on the part of the Mage. Hell, CoC and Frost Nova share DR and the mage has no reason to Blink if you're not doing damage. If he is using his defensive abilities, it means he's taking enough damage from you to warrant them.
    HURR, you're smart.

Why Ice Block? Wait for other CDs. You say PURGE PURGE, but I can't do damage with that son. ALSO, every since BC I think you can't purge off mage and lock shields or half their shit. I get them down to about 20% health and they either 1, run away, or 2, get a friend to help kill me. Btw, cutie, when you pop wolves, they can root me back in place. I can do a fine deal of canceling out most of the damage the mage outputs, but it's near impossible for me to sit on one because when I get on a mage it's either 1, he blinks, or 2, frost novas or something to freeze me in place. Mages can't kill me 1v1, but they sure can easily get away. It's almost like a really annoying boss fight that's easy but takes way too long or resets out of the blue.

Sure, my mistake with the cold snap CD, but it's not as easy as you think to stay up on a mage.
    Last edited by BlueRising; 2010-12-21 at 02:11 AM.
    1. Search feature never works for me 2. No, there isn't a thread answering exactly what I'm asking for

HURR, you're smart.

Why Ice Block? Wait for other CDs. You say PURGE PURGE, but I can't do damage with that son. ALSO, every since BC I think you can't purge off mage and lock shields or half their shit. I get them down to about 20% health and they either 1, run away, or 2, get a friend to help kill me. Btw, cutie, when you pop wolves, they can root me back in place. I can do a fine deal of canceling out most of the damage the mage outputs, but it's near impossible for me to sit on one because when I get on a mage it's either 1, he blinks, or 2, frost novas or something to freeze me in place. Mages can't kill me 1v1, but they sure can easily get away. It's almost like a really annoying boss fight that's easy but takes way too long or resets out of the blue.

Sure, my mistake with the cold snap CD, but it's not as easy as you think to stay up on a mage.
    Well dispel resistance is gone for all classes, and so are trash buffs. Purge is one gcd. Not to turn this into a math lesson, but two purges clears all mage buffs. Mage ward, mana shield, ice barrier, and intellect. So in two gcds, you do the equivalent of 15-20k damage by mitigating shields and significantly reduce their spellpower. The mage can hardly cast on you, when the mage blinks you can frost shock, when you get frozen u can drop grounding to catch deep freeze, you can heal yourself. Mages can't kill you 1v1 so you should just be able to crap on them is the point im getting here? Enh is slightly greater than a mage, pretty even if the mage is a little better than the shammy.

Blizzard love mages, didn't you know!? Don't expect a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Torne View Post
    I hate the ring too.
    Frost mages already had good stuff in BC, I was baffled when I saw shattered barrier in WotLK, thinking "who the hell thought mages need another freeze that they have to do NOTHING to get it off? Frostbite is already lame as hell"
    When I saw Ring of Frost in the Beta, I was only facepalming. So mages really needed ANOTHER slow, PLUS an AoE disable?
    And don´t come with the ridiculous "well don´t stand in it noob lol!" where the hell should I stand when the mage is inside of it spamming frostbolts at me as a melee?
    Things that have to change are
    1. EVERYONE or at least the mage himself should be frozen when standing in it
    2. The 10 sec freeze should ONLY occur after the 3 sec, after that entering the ring should only slow (witch is strong enough already)
    3. The freeze shoud be on a DR with Roots
    It's on dr with poly, pretty sure that's enough as it's not a root. Pretty much you want to make the ability useless. What they should do is make it where it can only freeze you once, then snare you afterwards. It's not like there would be a point at all in giving mages a snare for a new ability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    mages have so many slows and stuns because once were in melee range we get raped, so sure take away our stuns and slows and we wont be useful at all - the idea of melee is to get in close, range players need to keep people at range in order to kill them

the ring of frost is a 2min deterent to stop melee running in, not as op as it sounds
    Yea but once melee get in range and we're like "Phew, finally time to open up a can of whoopass." Mages blink and go "lolubadbro" pew pew game over.

Quote Originally Posted by Praestigium View Post
    Any damage breaks the effect.

Also, this ability is so easy to avoid and takes a full 3 seconds to take effect. Stop complaining
    This quote basically sums it all up. All that needs to be done is charge at the mage when the ring is cast and you have 3 seconds to reach them (easier said then done of course).

15+ Year Old Account
    HURR, you're smart.

The only thing you can't Purge off is Mage/Frost/Molten Armor, everything else is fair game, so again, mechanics are working against you. The main problem with your whole argument is that you ARE forcing defensive CDs which means the mage can't pump out his full arsenal of offense. Basically, it just sounds like you're getting beat and don't want that to happen. The problem with balance usually lies between keyboard and chair, not in lines of code.
    BfA Beta Time

You get 3 seconds before it is active. Only people that stand in fire get caught in ring of frost. STOP BEING BAD
    Just another random troll.