Thread: Ring of Frost

Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Ring of Frost

It's ridiculous and it's radius and it's duration needs to be nerfed a good bit.
    1. Search feature never works for me 2. No, there isn't a thread answering exactly what I'm asking for

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its fine the way it is. What it should do is put a slow effect on everyone (including casters alignment) to discourage packing inside.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRising View Post
    It's ridiculous and it's radius and it's duration needs to be nerfed a good bit.
    it's a mage ability, they're loaded with automatic abilities that pvp for them

mages got to a point a while back where good mages and bad mages had little separation in pvp, literally all i can come up with is one can use a focus frame to sheep and the other can't

automatic slows, snares, aoe snare when you break ice barrier now PUT SPOT HERE IGNORE for more snaring slowness

I'm not a fan of it, especially in arenas where I am up against a team with a Mage. Everytime I go to attack someone the Mage just drops it on top of their friend and you get frozen in place, kind of silly. Even if it slowed everyone including friendly targets it would still be just as annoying, not to mention it would just basically become another Frost Trap that effects your own team.

And correct me if I am wrong, but once you become frozen inside of it don't you still take damage while also being incapable of doing anything?

Of course I don't know why we are complaining about this, Warlocks Hand of Gul'dan is basically the same exact thing. Only difference is that a Warlocks Felguard charges you to prevent you from moving out of it when they cast it, then the Felguard proceeds to basically stunlock you while you get rolled by whatever wants to attack you. Personally, I do not think pets of any kind should have CC abilities period, they are far more annoying the Ring of Frost or Hand of Gul'dan...

10+ Year Old Account
    it would be nice to also be able to tell if it is a friendly or enemy mage that drops a ring of frost.. i mean how could u possibly tell who did it in a tol barad?

And correct me if I am wrong, but once you become frozen inside of it don't you still take damage while also being incapable of doing anything?
    Any damage breaks the effect.

Also, this ability is so easy to avoid and takes a full 3 seconds to take effect. Stop complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Praestigium View Post
    Any damage breaks the effect.

Also, this ability is so easy to avoid and takes a full 3 seconds to take effect. Stop complaining
    ^ Angry mage. The thing is that it's RIDICULOUSLY huge, so to avoid it, say if you're a melee like me, you have to run around it and by that time they already have frost nova, pet nova, ice block, and blink ready to go. All of that plus it's OP for BGs.
    1. Search feature never works for me 2. No, there isn't a thread answering exactly what I'm asking for

this is the question of a lifetime again. Do you stand in fire?

10+ Year Old Account
    rogue mage in 2v2 is fun, smoke bomb in the middle of a ring of frost, lol, its like they were built for each other

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously it takes three full seconds to trigger and damage breaks it. Learn to not stand in it. In battle grounds just move out of range of the mage, they have to leave their circle eventually.
    If you're a DK, pull them out. If you're a warrior, reflect at them while getting out of range. If you're a rogue, cloak while in it and drill them, or vanish and play the waiting game.
    Seriously not that big of an issue.

Deleted
    I don't PvP much, but I fought a Mage in Tol Barad One Time. It was kind of like playing Wheel of Fortune. Except every space was Bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Seriously it takes three full seconds to trigger and damage breaks it.
    I heavily disagree. I touch it and I get frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
    I don't PvP much, but I fought a Mage in Tol Barad One Time. It was kind of like playing Wheel of Fortune. Except every space was Bankrupt.
    You sir, win. I could not describe it better myself. Except its not only Tol Barad, its everything. I watched a single Frost Mage take on 6 Horde solo in Twin Peaks earlier. Thinking that there would be time before he went down I decide to blow all my CDs and break stealth to help him. Died instantly and watched him proceed to kill 2, maybe 3 of them before I released.

As for people saying to move out of it, here is the problem. I cannot tell if its friendly or not, I cannot tell how long it has been up for, I cannot tell what exactly a safe radius outside of it is because I have been outside the circle and still got frozen. Also, you say damage breaks the effect. When you say this, do you mean damage has a "Chance" to break the effect like Fear, or "Does" break the effect, like Poly? Because I swear I have sit there frozen several times unable to take any action while watching my health go from 100% to empty.

Oh and also, I do not feel like I should have to waste my only reliable defensive CD as a Rogue to avoid the effects of something that clearly is too powerful, same goes for Hand of Gul'dan. I like to use my CoS to remove the 30 DoTs on me, not prevent myself from being frozen and nuked like a damn hot pocket...

Major gripe: impossible to tell which team put down the ring. I hate having to run around all the rings, just to figure out a few seconds later that a friendly mage put it down and I should have gone thru it to save time. Mostly an issue in BGs.

IMO it would be a lot more interesting if it worked on EVERYONE, no matter what faction or team, if you're in it, you get CC'd. Would make it a bit more of a proactive positioning denial tool than "place it on an ally who's being pressured and forget" tool it is now.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    A million times this... Although you'll always have the nay-sayers who'll deffend their OP class to the death. The only time I've been able to avoid the damn wall is when I DGed and silenced the mage and let my buddies beat the crap outta him before he was able to blink to safty.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRising View Post
    I heavily disagree. I touch it and I get frozen.
    If it's already been on the ground for 3 seconds, you will be frozen instantly when you walk into it. But why would you walk into it?

Quote Originally Posted by iamftwlol View Post
    You sir, win. I could not describe it better myself. Except its not only Tol Barad, its everything. I watched a single Frost Mage take on 6 Horde solo in Twin Peaks earlier. Thinking that there would be time before he went down I decide to blow all my CDs and break stealth to help him. Died instantly and watched him proceed to kill 2, maybe 3 of them before I released.
    The mage must have been good and the horde must have been terrible for 6v1.

On topic - ring of frost is very lol

I dont play a mage and even im saying its a joke 3 secs to get out is plenty of time. Although I usually dont run into being used since the mage is usually trying not to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamftwlol View Post

As for people saying to move out of it, here is the problem. I cannot tell if its friendly or not, I cannot tell how long it has been up for, I cannot tell what exactly a safe radius outside of it is because I have been outside the circle and still got frozen. Also, you say damage breaks the effect. When you say this, do you mean damage has a "Chance" to break the effect like Fear, or "Does" break the effect, like Poly? Because I swear I have sit there frozen several times unable to take any action while watching my health go from 100% to empty.

Oh and also, I do not feel like I should have to waste my only reliable defensive CD as a Rogue to avoid the effects of something that clearly is too powerful, same goes for Hand of Gul'dan. I like to use my CoS to remove the 30 DoTs on me, not prevent myself from being frozen and nuked like a damn hot pocket...
    I almost never say this but if this truly happens your terrible rogue, we are ridiculous right now. Not as much as frost mages or feral druids but still can tear shit up.
    Yes its 100% chance to break only thing I can think is lag. Also moving out isnt that hard your reason are more excuses, its not hard to tell how long if it just appears under you it does have a big targeting thing on the ground. Easy way to tell if friendly look around are the any friendly mages or have an addon that shows minimap players as class color. Also in my experience if im attacking someone its targeted at me, if I am being attacked its targeted at them.
    Last edited by Plexiforce; 2010-12-20 at 03:40 AM.
    Rogues don't have loyalties, they have contracts and their blades are purchased in gold.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of annoying as an anti-fun mechanic. You either move, get frozen, get cc'd/are stuck. - Bad Solution

Or you stand there and don't get hit and take the beating from the mage as well as not putting out much damage - Bad Solution

For a melee.

I've always gone off the feeling that every move can be countered in a good way. Now not every class should be able to counter but other than I think rogues all melee are pretty much shut down unless they have some type of ranged cc.

But then again, I'm not sure if warriors can use one of their charges/leaps to get over it but a ret with repent can wait it out, a rogue can shadowstep, really the only hindered melee is shammy come to think of it. Most others have a way out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    Demonology Warlock = Beast Mastery Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Certin View Post
    Funny ... I've never seen a hunter transform into a huge ass gorilla and come and roflstomp ur ass.

Deleted
    mages have so many slows and stuns because once were in melee range we get raped, so sure take away our stuns and slows and we wont be useful at all - the idea of melee is to get in close, range players need to keep people at range in order to kill them

the ring of frost is a 2min deterent to stop melee running in, not as op as it sounds