* Note : I posted this guide on the wow-forums aaaaages ago, just after the introduction of the LFG tool. At that time I got a lot of appreciation for my writings, and people have suggested me to participate in this contest.

Guide: Don’t spank the tank !

Many people have been asking questions regarding the shortage in tanks.
Therefore I have decided to make a short “guide” on what “prevents” people from tanking/scares tanks away,
and how we ALL can work on the solution (in other words increase the number of people who are willing to tank) , or at least decrease the number of tanks that we scare away.

Targeting and knowing the way in an instance:
A tank is expected to mark the targets. But occasionally it happens that the tank doesn’t know which mob is priority. In this case the tank either pretends to know and dashes in, hoping no one will notice so he won’t get flamed.
Or, the Tank admits he doesn’t know, with a huge chance of getting negative responses. The exact same goes for not knowing the way in an instance.
Those negative responses can easily scare away the tank. Those responses really are unnecessary.
Instead of flaming the tank, let him/her know that it’s good to admit to not know something, and help out. If you have been a Wow-player for a long time, you probably know the instance and the mobs in it by heart, so how much effort and trouble will it be to lead the way, and (help) mark the mobs ?
And you might feel it is not your job to “take over Tank tasks” , but it is your job to work together as a team, and clear the instance as a team.
Nobody benefits from flaming the tank and not helping out.

Not much experience and aggro:
Nobody has instant experience, we all need to learn how things work, and yes we fail at times but eventually will grow. That goes for tanks as well.
Unfortunately, tanks are expected to have instant experience. They are expected to be an expert in holding aggro, taunting of mobs the dps pulled etc.
When a tank admits not to have much experience, don’t flame him ( and most certainly do not vote kick him ). Give the tank the chance to earn the experience.
Here are a few tips (things players should know, but apparently don’t know).
-Don’t pull the mobs, just let the tank pull them. Yes, a tank has abilities to taunt it off, but you’ll make tanking a lot harder.
- Give the tank a couple of seconds to get solid aggro before you attack (wait even longer before using aoe attacks).
- Attack the same target as the tank (if the mobs are not marked, keep an eye on your threat meter, switch mobs if your threat level almost reaches the tank’s level ).
- Manage your aggro : Cut down on the dps (don’t look at your dps meter, not important. I mean would you choose high dps over massive repair bills ? ), or use threat losing abilities if you have them.
- If you do get aggro, don’t run away with the mob chasing you. There is (almost) no way the tank will be able to taunt it off you. Just stay or get closer to the tank, so he/she can taunt it off. And stop attacking that mob, to make sure you don’t surpass the taunt.

“Low” gear and hitpoints :
Nobody starts off in full epic gear, and most instances do not require it either. Still the tank gets made fun of when he/she has some blue gear.
Instead of flaming the tank, help out a little if you think the tank may have some trouble staying alive.
- If you are a full epic and experienced healer, you should have no trouble to keep up a lower geared tank.
- Dps with some healing abilities can throw in a heal as well if needed ( don’t look at your dps meters, not important).
- Use abilities to lower the damage caused by the mobs.
- Use crowd control.

“Gogogogogogogogogogogogogo”:
This actually enrages basically every tank, it’s pushing and annoying, and could easily be replaced by: “I’m ready ” or “Pull when you are ready”.
- If you want your tank to accidentally let you die, use gogogogo.
- If not, just use a more friendly way to let the tank know you want to move on.
- Give the tank some time to get ready, find out what is the best way to pull the mobs, regain mana/rage etc.
- Keep in mind that the Tank might be waiting for the healer to be on full mana.
- Don’t pull. And by that I really mean, don’t pull. If you’re out of luck, the tank and healer will just let you die.

Don’t blame the tank, if:
- the instance doesn’t load.
- Your dog ate your homework.
- The healer forgot to heal.
- The dps pulled and wiped the party.
- The dps attacked an entirely different mob and dies.
- The dps used aoe 0.1 second after you pulled and dies.
- The healer went afk.
etc.

Conclusion : Your tank is your friend, be kind and friendly and help out. If you are an imba WoW-player, or one of those players that thinks Wow has become to easy, go do instances with starting tanks, and help out.
You will find the instances more challenging that way, that is the right way to show how imba you are (instead of tearing down someone else), get more people willing to tank, and you won’t cause Tank tears on the other side of the screen.
You’ll be a Hero !