Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crapapelada View Post
    Soooooo true! Especially if your name is non-English related. I first called my priest Crapapelada, which means "bold head" in my Italian dialect (and still is my username here on MMO). Well, I changed it yesterday because everyone I found around (cities, raid pugs, wherever) that was not Italian obviously shortened my name --> Crap
    HAHAHAHAHA this is such an awesome example!

Quote Originally Posted by deathtrigger View Post
    i have to say i must have the best names on wow :P

Trigger - paladin
    Avarice - rogue
    Oblivion - mage
    Aeris - priest
    Scorpion - dk (GET OVER HEREEE!! xD)
    Since when did "best" become a synonym for unoriginal and boring?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PyroGhozt View Post
    Since when did "best" become a synonym for unoriginal and boring?
    I thought exactly the same thing.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

10+ Year Old Account
    Traversing through The Luminiferous Aether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellent View Post
    Grid's name settings says hi.

4 letters is just the default setting, it will show all 12 if you want it to... I use 10.
    some folks are too lazy to change defaults.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    My character's name is Bear.

Top that. I dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by SanderZammy View Post
    Nice guide! First half seemed a bit obvious (not calling your char Lëgollàss etc.) but the second half, especially the names per race looked like you really spent some time thinking about it. Definitely worth coming back here if I'm ever bored enough to make a char on a RP server ^^
    Many of the name suggestions here would not actually work on an RP server if you actually intend to RP that character (unless their backstory has a really good reason for them being named something like "coolstorybro").

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    I thought exactly the same thing.

Same here actually.

OP; you also failed to take into accounts Blizzards own naming policy. here.

I don't want to sound overly negative about your posts guys, but I do believe that naming the character is up to each and every individual, and people that whine about others having "silly and not roleplay hurrtarted names durr" are incredibly childish, and should feel bad. But that's just my personal opinion. On the other note, OP's guide is pretty nice for people who are having problems with naming their chars, I often did in the past as well.
    Just sayin'
    Kabukage 85 Tauren Shaman - Ahn'Qiraj EU
    Gandalug 85 Dwarf Paladin - Emerald Dream EU

Deleted
    Wow, thx for the link on first page ! \o/

Also, thanks for the warm feedback, and sorry to those who didn't like it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuvassinhellfire View Post
    Deceitful?? Excuse me but since when?
    Gnomes are crafty little bastards, we all know this :P

I recommend one should make a name that means something to him/her, that way one will get better connection with the character. Also knowing the origin of your name goes a long way. Random name generators might give neat results, but one should use them only for getting a basic idea how names can sound like. Unles ofc you get a name that satisfies at least one of two conditions mentioned above

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    My character's name is Bear.

Top that. I dare you.
    Indeed, that's pretty badass.

In Greek mythology, the river Phlegethon (Φλεγέθων, English translation: "flaming") or Pyriphlegethon (Πυριφλεγέθων, English translation: "fire-flaming") was one of the five rivers in the infernal regions of the underworld, along with the rivers Styx, Lethe, Cocytus, and Acheron. Plato describes it as "a stream of fire, which coils round the earth and flows into the depths of Tartarus."[1] It was parallel to the river Styx. It is said that the goddess Styx was in love with Phlegethon, but she was consumed by his flames and sent to Hades. Eventually when Hades allowed her river to flow through, they reunited.

In Dante's Inferno Phlegethon is described as a river of blood that boils souls. It is in the Seventh Circle and is guarded by centaurs, who force souls to remain at their level. Here are punished the shades who committed crimes of violence against their fellow men (see Canto XII, 46-48). Here are murderers and tyrants: men who through their violent deeds in life caused hot blood to flow and now themselves are sunk in flowing, boiling blood. Dante sees Alexander the Great up to his eyebrows in it.
    They call me Phleg.
    I think I did well...

My hunter is called shikar.

Deleted
    I went for "Skyhowl" for my Worgen Warrior, which I think is pretty awesome.

My Deathknight was a bit of a boring name "Knightmare"

Deleted
    Loving the guide. Have a friend who has a hunter on as many realms as possible with names with as Bowjob, Bowjob and...yeah, bowjob. Plus "Worgenfreeman". Sigh.

I try and keep my char names as easy as possible. My Paladin is Nilan, which came from Nylan, which came from Dylan. Was listening to the RATM cover of maggies farm when I rolled him. My warlock (also Human) is Sobai, an Anagram (sort of) of the In Flames song SOBer And Irrelevant. Draenei priest named Vilka - Female. Sounded a bit scandanavian. Playing on a mainly finnish server I get constantly asked if im finnish.

Did once have a Rogue called Gori - Gory (An old CS nick) was taken. Only for an Indian guildmate to inform me it means basically "White Woman" in Hindi (I think).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    I hate to be "that guy," but do you realize that many of your suggestions directly violate Blizzard's naming policy? Specifically, you are not allowed to combine multiple words. For example:

Yeah, all of those are violations.

See: http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...=20368#partial

That said, MANY people get away with names like this, but everyone should be aware that if they catch a GM in a fussy mood, a forced name change could be incoming.
    I guess they ban 'sentence' names as an easier way to avoid offensive names? It's harder to be obscene or discriminatory with just one word than it is with two or three or four to play around with. Though their example of "welovebeef" in the T&C always makes me laugh.

---------- Post added 2011-01-18 at 12:20 PM ----------

Oh and the best name I ever saw was DeathandDK ^_^

Very nice guide though, well done on encouraging some creativity with names. Anyone else get annoyed when they see someone name all their alts as variations of their main? Like if your main was Nodds, your alts might be Noddsy, Nodders, Noddery, etc. >.< More imagination please!

10+ Year Old Account
    I always used Phantoms, then took that alias and made character names based on fun things about myself and the interactions I had with friends in the game.

For example:
    My main's name is Phantoms, everybody knows me as "Phantom(s)"
    My friend's name is Plantiller, everybody knows him as "Plant."

Lo and behold, I made my gnome warlock, and his name was Plantoms.

Thoughts on name blending like that, OP?

You forgot to put undeads on your list
    Btw really a good job. Thumbs up.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Love my DK named Pessimist, though im changing it to Fanzworth or Oak soon as I get the professor title
    DÅRKÅRTHÅSLO still the worst name one could take.

For over 10 years I've used the name Rohendar in various games. My very first WoW char was thus named Rohendar. People shortened it to Roh. A while ago I started naming all my chars after this theme. I now have:

Rohendar
    Roh
    Rohyourboat (my personal favorite)
    Brohmance (my current main)
    Rohgue
    Rohlingstone