Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    can you only put one Audio file on the video in Virtualdub?

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    can you only put one Audio file on the video in Virtualdub?
    That's actually a good question, and one I learned the answer to long ago but I seem to have forgotten. XD I think you can only use one.

To mix or merge audio files together, you can use a program like GoldWave (which I use the trial version for because I'm a cheap punk), or any other audio editing program. I wanted to add this information into the guide, but felt it would increase the length of the guide to an unmanageable amount where people would start going "where's the TL;DR version?".
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2011-04-03 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    That's actually a good question, and one I learned the answer to long ago but I seem to have forgotten. XD I think you can only use one.

To mix or merge audio files together, you can use a program like GoldWave (which I use the trial version for because I'm a cheap punk), or any other audio editing program. I wanted to add this information into the guide, but felt it would increase the length of the guide to an unmanageable amount where people would start going "where's the TL;DR version?".
    thanks for the information
    currently making a "test video" to try it off and see how my UI looks. stupid UI problems...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oo, link it here when you're done, I wanna see! :3

Oo, link it here when you're done, I wanna see! :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrkJO26CCL0

some stuff i saw myself:
    Spell Tooltip is a bitch, and it has been hidden in combat.
    Recount is too big i guess.
    Omen might be too big, and maybe should be moved.
    i guess there is some other stuff, but hey, thats why we got feedback!
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2011-04-03 at 06:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spell Tooltip is a bitch, and it has been hidden in combat.
    Recount is too big i guess.
    Omen might be too big, and maybe should be moved.
    i guess there is some other stuff, but hey, thats why we got feedback!
    Good stuff! I'd recommend scooting around your DBM a bit. Put your main timers more to the left of the screen, under the raid frames, and maybe scoot the upcoming frame down a touch? Omen can stay there, but honestly I prefer to recolor it so that it's less obnoxious; the parchment color is really distracting.

I personally don't like having Recount up while I'm raiding, but having a hunter alt, I totally understand :P Placement of Recount seems fine.

Here's an example of what I mean with DBM and Omen:

You might choose to alter your combat text with something like Mik's Scrolling Battle Text, but that's entirely personal preference. I think it makes for a cleaner video in the end, personally.

thanks for the feedback, my UI have been changed!

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for the feedback, my UI have been changed!
    Good deal, glad to help :3

i wonder, can i add text to the videos through Virtualdub?
    have planes to make a machinima for fun, is VirtualDub completely bad for doing that?

10+ Year Old Account
    i wonder, can i add text to the videos through Virtualdub?
    have planes to make a machinima for fun, is VirtualDub completely bad for doing that?
    You can, technically, via a filter you can download from the VirtualDub site for SSA (SubStation Alpha) captioning. I found it to be fairly complex, though, so proceed with caution. XD

My captions are edited in with something called Camtasia Studio, but the software is rather expensive, so I wouldn't recommend you trying to get it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a couple questions

When i record with fraps, when the videos save in my C:\Fraps\Movies folder, they save as DVX, and instead of one continuous clip, they save in multiple 3 minute clips. This is a pain in the ass as its hard to find the start and finish of the one recording i want to use for my raid video. Is there a way to change it so it saves in one clip, instead of multiple 3 minute clips?

The second question I have is I want to record the vent chatter on the last 5% or so of the boss health. Is there a quick way to turn on recording vent so i dont have to alt tab and manually turn it on?

Quote Originally Posted by Seahippo View Post
    I have a couple questions

When i record with fraps, when the videos save in my C:\Fraps\Movies folder, they save as DVX, and instead of one continuous clip, they save in multiple 3 minute clips. This is a pain in the ass as its hard to find the start and finish of the one recording i want to use for my raid video. Is there a way to change it so it saves in one clip, instead of multiple 3 minute clips?

The second question I have is I want to record the vent chatter on the last 5% or so of the boss health. Is there a quick way to turn on recording vent so i dont have to alt tab and manually turn it on?
    ooo! ooo!
    i think i can answer your first question. no, you cant make it stop doing that, but i dont find it very difficult myself to put them together. they normally got names you can sort them on.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    ooo! ooo!
    i think i can answer your first question. no, you cant make it stop doing that, but i dont find it very difficult myself to put them together. they normally got names you can sort them on.

I record more than 1 boss fight a night, and they save by the dates. If I record 5 boss fights thats like 25 or more little clips all labeled the same. I have to manually go through each clip and find the start and end of each fight, which is fucking annoying.

if i wanna use Virtualdub for machinima, is it then impossible to make use of WoW Model Viewer? like, making scenes with stuff taken from WoW Model Viewer, like a guard crying in Stormwind?

10+ Year Old Account
    if i wanna use Virtualdub for machinima, is it then impossible to make use of WoW Model Viewer? like, making scenes with stuff taken from WoW Model Viewer, like a guard crying in Stormwind?
    VirtualDub is only an editor for video. It won't record anything. Are you trying to record, or edit what you're recording?

I record more than 1 boss fight a night, and they save by the dates. If I record 5 boss fights thats like 25 or more little clips all labeled the same. I have to manually go through each clip and find the start and end of each fight, which is fucking annoying.
    Viewing these as thumbnails helps a lot with that. Right-click on an empty area where the videos are and choose View>Thumbnails.

Unfortunately, the multiple-clips thing isn't really avoidable. Fraps does that because not every computer can handle opening files that are 38 GB in size.
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2011-04-04 at 06:56 PM.

VirtualDub is only an editor for video. It won't record anything. Are you trying to record, or edit what you're recording?
    im not trying to record. with Fraps, i suppose im able to record what i need.

lets say i use fraps to record a place in Stormwind ingame, for a few seconds. then i got one video, or part of one.
    then i go to WoW Model Viewer, and record a guard that, lets say, dance. then i got another video, or part of one.
    can i then go into VirtualDub, and edit it in a way so the guard will dance, with the background being the Stormwind video? like, two tracks on the same time?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for clearing up the multiple clips. Any advice on the vent question?

10+ Year Old Account
    im not trying to record. with Fraps, i suppose im able to record what i need.

lets say i use fraps to record a place in Stormwind ingame, for a few seconds. then i got one video, or part of one.
    then i go to WoW Model Viewer, and record a guard that, lets say, dance. then i got another video, or part of one.
    can i then go into VirtualDub, and edit it in a way so the guard will dance, with the background being the Stormwind video? like, two tracks on the same time?
    Sadly, I don't think VirtualDub is advanced enough for that.

I used to use a video editor a long time ago called Zwei-Stein. I don't even know if it still exists, but if it does, try it--last I checked, it was free, and it had tons of neat effects.

Thanks for clearing up the multiple clips. Any advice on the vent question?
    Unfortunately no. I don't record sound with Fraps. If I were to try something like this, I'd have GoldWave recording in the background. It's a very lightweight program. You could then splice it in wherever you needed to.

(Trial version is free and mostly unrestricted. It just limits you to a certain number of actions each time you use the program. If you run into this, close and reopen it.)
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2011-04-04 at 07:20 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds good, ill look into that. Thanks for all your help

So my guild is going to be raiding either this week or next. Better late then never I say. Anyway, I wanted to record our first kill of each boss, possibly post them on our website etc, so that folks in our guild about to raid can see exactly how WE do it, as apposed to some variances elsewhere.

(The actual question-->) What does the Codec actually do? Is it turning the small little files that seahippo and Arrow were talking about into a more manageable AVI file?

Also, I think I have access to Windows Live Movie Maker. Is this program inferior by miles compared to VirtualDub?

Thank you for the guide.