Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Wink Creating A Ventrilo DJ

Step 1: Download Virtual Audio Cable (VAC).
    It may have you restart your computer, so obviously you should if it asks you to.

Step 2: Open up the VAC Control Panel by going to "Start - All Programs - Virtual Audio Cable - Control Panel".
    Make sure all the settings are just like the picture, especially that the volume box is checked.

Once it's all done hit "Set" and then exit the Control Panel

Step 3: Open your "Playback Devices"

Set "Line 1" as your Default Playback and Recording Device

Step 4: Create a New user in vent. Mine is named "DJ-Dank". To be able to open 2 Vents at the same time, you must change your shortcut to this "C:\Program Files\Ventrilo\Ventrilo.exe" -m

Step 5: Log into the server with your DJ and click "Setup". Set your settings exactly how mine are in the picture below.

Step 5: Open another Vent and use your main user. Put both users into the same channel and play some music. You will have to fiddle with the volume and stuff, because it might be too loud or too soft. Have your friends set up Vent Normalization if they're having problems.

Other things you can do:

• If you use iTunes, Winamp, Windows Media Player or Foobar (see below if you're a foobar user) you can set up Vent to integrate with those players to display your current song as a comment.

• Foobar users should download this plugin and then select "Winamp" as your player if you want Integration to work.
    • If you want to listen to music whilst being in another channel altogether, you can put a Phantom in the same channel that the DJ is in (if your Vent admin hasn't disabled them)

The End Result: (you can now log out of the other user and leave the DJ running for as long as you want.)
    Last edited by chaud; 2011-01-10 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Used offical trial

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn nice. Something I have been thinking of doing for a while, this guide will probably get me to do it ^_^

When I change my playback setting to Line 1 I lose all sound in my headset >_> anyway to fix that?

Sig by Visenna

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow excellent, this is a rare find for me and one that I'm very happy with ^^
    I'm going to fizzle with this tomorrow when I wake up - atm im a bit uncertain on how to run 2 vents at the same time but I guess I'll find that out tomorrow.
    For now thanks a lot <3

Beaconz and Beacs - Dentarg horde

Grunt
    15+ Year Old Account
    Same problem as Piptooth. Any way to work around it?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit. Somebody else who listens to April. I think I'm in love.

my guilds GM is notorious for being a vent DJ haha.

I am Druid - Play Free Online Games

Quote Originally Posted by shiryo View Post
    "Whats your ilvl? cuz that ass is epic"

Yea I got it fixed. Having winamp makes it easy. and Using 2 lines instead of one so you don't hear yourself echo.

Sig by Visenna

Quote Originally Posted by Piptooth View Post
    Yea I got it fixed. Having winamp makes it easy. and Using 2 lines instead of one so you don't hear yourself echo.
    Would you mind explaining me how you fixed that? I'm using winamp myself but can't figure out anything atm.

---------- Post added 2011-01-09 at 06:50 PM ----------

Alright looks like I can't edit my post.

So I figured out how to make my DJ work while still being able to talk and hearing stuff coming out from the second vent account but thats it.
    I can't hear anything else coming out of my headset unless i'm in the same channel as the DJ.
    I'm wondering if it's possible to make the sound come out from both lines? Because now it's one or the other so if anyone has any hints that would be greatly appreciated.

The best way to utilize VAC for this purpose is to download and install WinAmp. Skip step 3 in the tutorial and do the following in WinAmp:

1. From the WinAmp menu goto Options -> Preferences
    2. Under Plug-ins select Output
    3. Select the Nullsoft DirectSound Output from the list and click Configure
    4. Under the device tab use the dropdown menu at the top to select "Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)"

This will solve many of the "echo" effects people are reporting. This essentially ties only your WinAmp client to the VAC instead of the sound from all your programs.
    Last edited by chaud; 2011-01-10 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Removed warning

Last time I checked the drivers required to do this were not signed by windows 7 and you had to disable certain windows functions to get it working on a windows 7 OS. If this has changed and the driver is signed then its not an issue. If its still an issue you may want to add it to the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroGhozt View Post
    Last time I checked the drivers required to do this were not signed by windows 7 and you had to disable certain windows functions to get it working on a windows 7 OS. If this has changed and the driver is signed then its not an issue. If its still an issue you may want to add it to the guide.
    I have windows 7 64-bit, and using both 64-bit VAC and vent, with the winamp settings listed by Thobias instead of step 3, this works just fine.

this is gonna work good for me..assuming i dont buy a piece of crap computer next week.

Been looking for a guide like this for a while, thanks again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Great information, I was just thinking about doing this today...
    but - is there anyway to get the awful VAC trial edition from not spamming "TRIAL!" in ventrilo? Or do I have to pay $30?
    [R] [80:Lingzhichen:2]: why is never peeple who are smart of the fighting
    [R] [80:Lingzhichen:2]: every time raiding
    [R] [80:Lingzhichen:2]: people are wheels on chair

(( Manapaws ))

Whatever is on that trial download really messed up my machine.

Nice guide, I will try this out. All the other guides I have read mentioned choosing a loopback device in vent, rather than using other software to achieve this, unfortunately my sound card doesn't have a loopback device built into the driver.

Hopefully this is a functional workaround for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekerdud View Post
    I have windows 7 64-bit, and using both 64-bit VAC and vent, with the winamp settings listed by Thobias instead of step 3, this works just fine.
    Good to know.

The colour in the OP's post hurt my eyes :<

Teal on white is easy on the eyes and comfortable to read