Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Noticing other WoW players IRL

TL; DR: So I wondered If you've ever had any similar experiences with people irl who you didn't realise/expect to play WoW?

So I'm a Brit and a bit of a closet WoW player, /shame. But I find it great how many other people play this game world wide. My job involves me visiting peoples rental properties for quarterly inspections etc and the amount of times I see the boxes on the shelves or people playing the game is suprisingly large! Nice thing is I always end up with a better relationship with that client afterwards!

Funny thing is the different type of people I notice who play, yesterday in the supermarket I saw a 40-something business man with chic suit and briefcase, tie etc wearing a beanie hat with the Horde symbol on. Had to stop myself stopping next to him and saying "Lok'tar Brother."

The other awesome time I've spent with other players was whilst browing in a GAME shop. Some guy was joking about with his mates looking at Cata (pre-launch) and suddenly one of them just randomly shouted "For the Alliance", this was met by about 20 other people in the shop, almost in union, shouting back "FOR THE HORDE!" was the most awesomely nerdy moment.

TL; DR: So I wondered If you've ever had any similar experiences with people irl who you didn't realise/expect to play WoW?
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Suffer the Consequences View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

honestly some of those stories are truly awesome.

My laptop died four times recently, currently on macbook pro number 5, when i was at the apple store this tough looking asian fella was sat next to me telling the technician about how he wasn't able to play WoW properly on it, we got chatting and I then showed him my DK ( we both play dk's as mains) and we were both banes in mid ICC and had a long discussion about outputs, healing and class mechanics on Light of Dawn, was a really good discussion that helped us with our kills.

Deleted
    There are indeed many different people playing this game. i work in IT myself, and even my boss (and we are talking about a huge company in belgium) plays WoW when he finds the time, my manager, my colleagues...

When I was at a midnight opening of WOTLK, I also talked to many people there and it was stunning how many different professions people had, some you wouldnt expect to even know what a computer is, but still they where there at 12 for their box .

Deleted
    It's almost like some kind of 'secret shame'. We should have some kind of Password/Response that will be totally ignored by non-players

Any suggestions?

really attractive girl on the train who has a horde sticker on the bottom of her bag and have seen her weating a tshirt that says for the horde and can occasionaly hear her talking about wow. was super suprised!

I have a big alliance sticker on the back window of my car.

Was at my girlfriends sister's wedding. With the father of the bride, my girlfriend and her sister in the car with me all dressed up in tuxs and stuff.
    Some guy drove pass seeing my Alliance sticker gets all excited and starts beeping and flashing a horde symbol out his driver side window (I think it was a wallet)

I had to explain that I don't actually know him, that he's horde, my enemy. Not, I'm not in a gang. Its a computer game thing.
    Last edited by skanksau; 2010-12-22 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdofherne View Post
    It's almost like some kind of 'secret shame'. We should have some kind of Password/Response that will be totally ignored by non-players

Any suggestions?
    "WoW" read backwards! Noone will figure it out. EVER!

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in high school, we had boring subjects such as Ancient History and Latin and we had the same teacher for both. These lessons were incredibly dull and boring so I spent most of the time farming mats in WoW on my laptop while taking notes by hand. This worked fine until my teacher, a woman in her early 30's, caught me and spoke out loud: "Oh, I see you're farming mats! What for? That nice healing cloak?" She got me, I was farming mats for Hide of the Wild back in vanilla. I later met her at the midnight release for WotLK and we had a fun, short chat but it was kind of awkward.

Another time, I was called to work even though I had a day off, because I had forgotten to drop a key off the night before and needed to deliver it back. It wouldn't take long, so I didn't bother changing my clothes so I went there wearing a t-shirt with a big, red horde symbol. I wore a jacket over it and when I opened my jacket just before delivering the key, my boss said: "Lok'tar fellow brother of the horde!" I was like: "Uhhhhmm.. Yeah, sure.!"

Quote Originally Posted by skanksau View Post
    I have a big alliance sticker on the back window of my car.

Was at my girlfriends sister's wedding. With the father of the bride, my girlfriend and her sister in the car with me all dressed up in tuxs and stuff.
    Some guy drove pass seeing my Alliance sticker gets all excited and starts beeping and flashing a horde symbol out his driver side window (I think it was a wallet)

I had to explain that I don't actually know him, that he's horde, my enemy. Not, I'm not in a gang. Its a computer game thing.
    Bahahahhaha that is brilliant!
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe

Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdofherne View Post

Any suggestions?
    that'd be cool, "lok'tar" is a good one
    My guild <Rollin Deep> - See one of these guys? Run. Else you will die.

Deleted
    Having worked in GAME I grew accustomed to bumping in to WoW players, they always seemed more surprised that I played WoW than I was at the fact they did. I always enjoyed finding out they did though, it's awesome how quickly you can jump into a conversation with someone whenever you're familiar with the game.

Now I work at a university and I bump into WoW players all the time (yay students) and again, they seem more stunned that the clerical officer plays the game and leans in to listen in to and involve herself in their conversations - I know I shouldn't, I just can't help myself sometimes. >.< I've actually developed a really good relationship with all the WoW Gamers on this campus because of the fact I do play.

Alas, I'm proud to admit I do play WoW. I've always been a gamer and people eventually end up loving me for my quirkiness, at least in my head they do. *Sage nod*

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamyyl View Post
    Lok'tar is good but only for us Horde, problem is it does sound a bit like we're Trekkies speaking Klingan or whatever it is, the dudes with the ridges.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw some graffiti at home in Bristol (UK) that said DEATHWING IS COMING or something. At first I was like -_- but then I grinned.

I have an "Original Ganksta" rogue tee that I seldom where (like you said, closet WoW player) and every now and then I'd get a response from people that you wouldnt expect to play WoW

That being said, my buddies GRANDPARENTS log more hours than he does, being retired and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderoni View Post
    I saw some graffiti at home in Bristol (UK) that said DEATHWING IS COMING or something. At first I was like -_- but then I grinned.
    Small world mate, I'm sat in work in an office in Clifton!

My best WoW story is kind of a rather personal one. As a child who went through a divorce at a young age, I didn't know my biological father until I was nearly 20 (about 4 months ago, 20 in 11 days, hell yeah!) I got the sudden urge to find his number and call him a while back. We got talking, he found out I was interested in computers, and asked if I played WoW. Turned out that my server at the time, Emerald Dream, was in the same battlegroup as his, Durotar. It was kinda nice to know that, while I barely knew him at the time, I could tell we'd have a lot in common.

Deleted
    SO i'm jsut gonna share my story.

I was returning home from university and stopped by a traffic light. Two guys were speaking beside me. At first i didn't recognize what they were saying, the discussion was quite general. Then the magic word. "Yeah, it's like in Alterac Valley, you push like an idiot and takes 6 hours to win". Laughters. I started laughing aswell and they looked at me, seeming upset. I pulled out my trollface.jpg and said "Guys, if you don't cap IB with a stealth group, you're going to suck ass forever". It was back in the vanilla days. The guys were hordelings from another server.

It's the best sensation ever to find someone that shares your interests in a place you would never expect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grelsha View Post
    Small world mate, I'm sat in work in an office in Clifton!
    haha the graffiti was in Clifton Village. Maybe it was you...?

Yeh a couple of friends of mine I'd known for quite a while before I realised they played WoW.. It's kinda cool I guess, if it is a secret then you can be more open about it which is always good :P it's never been a secret personally (Well maybe the first year I played but I'm now in year 4 of playing..)

One thing you'll learn though, it'll be all sorts of people that play.. Not just your stereotypical geeks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firen
    You do realize that this statue has 4 ears?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    We are no loner that funny racist uncle, we are the uncle that abused you as a child.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishamyyl View Post
    But a little one-sided

Small Alliance/Horde lapel pins would be cool, does anyone know if anyone does enamel ones?