Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchee View Post
    Do not form your opinions off stereotypes. Pitbulls and Rottweilers are extremely gentle and intelligent breeds. I've seen more aggressive Chihuahuas and Labradors than both of these breeds. It all depends on their upbringing, like any other living being.
    this, i dont want stereotyping up in here

10+ Year Old Account
    came in here wanting to post a picture of my felguard D: im fail

Quote Originally Posted by bobthemonkey View Post
    this, i dont want stereotyping up in here
    except small dogs its safe to stereotype them as thinking they are bigger than they really are
    and rottweilers are amazing family dogs 100% safe with small children if raised properly like all dogs

I am the Warrior. Death is my business. Be it yours...or mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchee View Post
    Do not form your opinions off stereotypes. Pitbulls and Rottweilers are extremely gentle and intelligent breeds. I've seen more aggressive Chihuahuas and Labradors than both of these breeds. It all depends on their upbringing, like any other living being.
    They might be gentle, but their bite can be horrific. If a pit-bull bites someone the chances of it being a fatal bite is higher then that of other dog breeds. I completely agree that there might be more aggressive Chihuahuas, but the odds of that dog breeds bite being fatal is lower then that of a pit-bulls. Not stereotyping just presenting facts. A pit-bulls jaw is like sticking your hand into a steel vice grip with teeth, and clamping it shut. Pit-bulls were bread to not let go, and they also instinctively go for the neck.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pitbull-faq.htm
    Last edited by muto; 2011-01-09 at 07:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    They might be gentle, but their bite isn't as bad as a pit-bulls. If a pit-bull bites someone the chances of it being a fatal bite is higher then that of other dog breeds. I completely agree that there might be more aggressive Chihuahuas, but the odds of that dog breeds bite being fatal is lower then that of a pit-bulls. Not stereotyping just presenting facts. A pit-bulls jaw is like sticking your hand into a steel vice grip with teeth, and clamping it shut. Pit-bulls were bread to not let go, and they also instinctively go for the neck, it's what they were bread to do.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pitbull-faq.htm
    So? It is all about the breeding and proper care. I've seen Border Collies that were vicious and Rotties and Pit bulls that were so gentle they would run from strangers, in fact my Rottie who was 150 lbs (quite large for a Rottie actually) was so gentle that he would hide whenever anyone new came into the house. But he also was very friendly and once he got used to them he loved to get pet!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-5-Most...ogs&id=5240544
    "No One Breed is Dangerous or More apt to Bite Than Another

We need to look at why dogs bite people and other canines. Biting dogs have behavioral problems, not breed problems. Not all canines who bite are aggressive dogs, although they are covered in the real list. Here it is.

Top Five Most Dangerous Dogs

* Are fearful
    * Have no true human leadership
    * Have not been properly socialized with people
    * Have not been properly socialized with dogs
    * Are inappropriately treated like people

Not the list you were hoping for is it? Me either. Unfortunately it puts the responsibility where it should be - with the owner, not the dog.

Let's look at life from a canine's point of view. Dogs need leadership. Few want to be the leader. Why would they? It's a lot of work always making sure other members of the pack are following the rules.

When we don't give our dogs rules and what they consider leadership, they feel insecure and forced to take over. Dogs don't have long verbal conversations; don't send each other to their rooms for time out; and don't take away the cell phone as punishment. Dogs correct inappropriate behavior with a growl, nip, or bite. It's the nature of a dog."

stop blaming the dog a fatal dog attack is always provoked or a dog that was not raised properly so its not the dogs fault

I am the Warrior. Death is my business. Be it yours...or mine.

I'm talking about the severity of certain dog breeds bites, not their upbringing. Rottweilers and Pit-bulls have the most vicious bite of any other dog, and is why they should be banned. I agree that all dogs can be aggressive, and all dogs can be calm including Pit-bulls, and Rottweilers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by warcrimes View Post
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-5-Most...ogs&id=5240544
    "No One Breed is Dangerous or More apt to Bite Than Another

We need to look at why dogs bite people and other canines. Biting dogs have behavioral problems, not breed problems. Not all canines who bite are aggressive dogs, although they are covered in the real list. Here it is.

Top Five Most Dangerous Dogs

* Are fearful
    * Have no true human leadership
    * Have not been properly socialized with people
    * Have not been properly socialized with dogs
    * Are inappropriately treated like people

Not the list you were hoping for is it? Me either. Unfortunately it puts the responsibility where it should be - with the owner, not the dog.

Let's look at life from a canine's point of view. Dogs need leadership. Few want to be the leader. Why would they? It's a lot of work always making sure other members of the pack are following the rules.

When we don't give our dogs rules and what they consider leadership, they feel insecure and forced to take over. Dogs don't have long verbal conversations; don't send each other to their rooms for time out; and don't take away the cell phone as punishment. Dogs correct inappropriate behavior with a growl, nip, or bite. It's the nature of a dog."

stop blaming the dog a fatal dog attack is always provoked or a dog that was not raised properly so its not the dogs fault
    This. The above is completely true.

However, some breeds are harder to raise than the others. Especially Rottweilers, which shouldn never be taken as the first dog.

In Finland the German Shepherd's cause most of the problems. They are rather hard dogs to raise too, but for some reason people keep taking breeds that they admire for their body and colour. This should never ever be the reason to take a dog!

And let's not even talk about those who take certain dogs & raise 'em to be angry to boost their own little egos. Disgusting.

Deleted

That's Spike 5 years ago when I got him. He was few months old on those pictures.

That's a more recent image of Spike.
    And no - he's not siamese, he's at most half-breed

German shepherds have the same rep as pitbulls and rotties. My shepherds (have 3 of them) are the most gentle dogs I've ever had. My mom's shepherds are gentle and loving, too.

It's all in the upbringing. It's like raising a child. They aren't born bad.

Nobody with aquariums? Preferably saltwater! After having been diving near the coasts of Thailand, I've always wanted to get a small piece of that world

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's my little beagle.

She will steal your food, all of it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking about the severity of certain dog breeds bites, not their upbringing. Rottweilers and Pit-bulls have the most vicious bite of any other dog, and is why they should be banned. I agree that all dogs can be aggressive, and all dogs can be calm including Pit-bulls, and Rottweilers.
    http://www.pitbulls.org/article/why-...nd-doesnt-work

please, shut up. you have absolutely no clue about dogs. Preconceptions like yours make me go insane.
    rott's aren't even in the top 5 most dangerous races, neither are pits. That is.. if you ask an expert and not some amateur.

It's people that think like you that make those dogs end up being bad. you stick stereotypes to them and turn them into "evil" dogs, and people who think like you and want a "evil/bad" dog end up picking up these races based on these stupid rumors and misconceptions that arose, guess what, from your/their own foolishness.

Pits are known far and wide amongst dog-trainers and dog-breeders to be a loyal and caring dog. He follows the masters orders almost perfectly and is extremely loving and affectionate. With proper training can even excel at things most dogs are inherently good at. Not to mention pit's and rott's aren't even difficult to train. There are a handful of races out there that are far harder to train.

http://www.pitbulls.org/article/6-re...ake-great-pets

rott's are extremely docile and friendly if trained. In all my years i haven't seen ONE bad rott in the hands of the right person. The only time these dogs were behaving improperly was when their masters had no clue how to raise them, and trust me, i didn't sit by and let them have their way. They lost that dog in no time at all. I always reported bad treatment of animals and i always will.
    Perspective is like a coin. It has two faces, but most people fail to see both.

^^^

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/2...ousdogbreeds_1

Not all of man's best friends are created equal. The Daily Beast crunches the numbers on the nation's most popular breeds to find those most (and least) prone to pounce.

Man bites dog: an adage used to illustrate that the media only reports the extraordinary. Dogs bites man? Well that story tends to get plenty of attention, too, and with good reason. Dog bites and attacks can be traumatic, life-changing experiences, and they account for 386,000 emergency-room visits each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Just last week, attacks on postal workers by stray pit bulls aborted mail service in several Dayton, Ohio, neighborhoods. Despite the real-life example of the classic feud between pooches and postal workers, children ages 5 to 9 tend to be the most vulnerable to dog attacks.

German shepherds, pit bulls, and Rottweilers often get a bad rap. But are these dogs the most dangerous breeds, or are they merely penalized for having a larger population? While dog-attack statistics are notoriously unclear on elucidating why people are maimed or killed by dogs (cruel breeders, bite victims that don’t seek medical attention), the sheer number of attacks should show some commonality across breeds, so The Daily Beast set to clear the air a bit by finding out, on a per-dog-basis, which breeds are more prone to attacking humans.

To rank the most dangerous breeds, we used a report compiled by Merritt Clifton, the editor of Animal People, which lists all of the press accounts of dog attacks organized by breed type. The study tallies the total attacks by dogs kept as pets from 1982 to 2009 in the U.S. and Canada. While it’s certainly exhaustive, it is by no means a complete list. We considered only the statistics pertaining to pure-bred dogs or breed variations for our purposes (example: Shar-Peis were considered, but not Shar-Pei/Rottweiler mixes, but the Belgian Malinois and Belgian Sheepdogs were grouped together as both are variations of the same breed). For each breed, we then tabulated a numerical attack value by adding the total number of attack victims, the number of deaths and the number of maimings. Because the severity of attacks is relevant, incidents of maulings and deaths were weighted two and five times, respectively, as much as each attack victim.

For a final “score” for each breed, we referred to the American Kennel Club’s most recent precise data on dog registration statistics. The numerical attack score was divided by total registered population to calculate the total score for each breed—a metric of incidents per dog, in essence.

To be sure, civilization would be poorer without our canine friends. And these incidents represent a minute fraction of the total number of dogs out there, the vast majority of whom are loving pets. But not all dogs are bred to equal—and one breed, in terms of danger, stands out from the rest. The top 19 most vicious below, and for the full list, click here.

1, Pit Bull Varieties included: Pit Bull, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American StaffordshireTerrier Registered dogs (U.S.): 2,683 Child victims: 661 Adult victims: 519 Maimings: 819 Deaths: 159

2, Chow Chow Registered dogs (U.S.): 1,592 Child victims: 35 Adult victims: 14 Maimings: 34 Deaths: 7

3, Rottweiler Registered dogs (U.S.): 14,709 Child victims: 257 Adult victims: 115 Maimings: 244 Deaths: 67

4, Akita Registered dogs (U.S.): 2,457 Child victims: 34 Adult victims: 14 Maimings: 41 Deaths: 1

5, Bull Mastiff Registered dogs (U.S.): 3,760 Child victims: 17 Adult victims: 20 Maimings: 26 Deaths: 8

6, Greyhound Registered dogs (U.S.): 136 Child victims: 1 Adult victims: 0 Maimings: 1 Deaths: 0

7, Briard Registered dogs (U.S.): 284 Child victims: 0 Adult victims: 1 Maimings: 0 Deaths: 1

8, Malamute Registered dogs (U.S.): 2,124 Child victims: 7 Adult victims: 2 Maimings: 3 Deaths: 4

9, Husky/Siberian Huskies Registered dogs (U.S.): 9,342 Child victims: 32 Adult victims: 4 Maimings: 13 Deaths: 17

10, Australian Cattle Dog Varieties included: Australian Cattle Dog, Blue Heeler, Queensland Heeler Registered dogs (U.S.): 1,499 Child victims: 3 Adult victims: 4 Maimings: 5 Deaths: 0

11, Dalmatian Registered dogs (U.S.): 820 Child victims: 3 Adult victims: 0 Maimings: 3 Deaths: 0

12, Mastiff Registered dogs (U.S.): 6,913 Child victims: 13 Adult victims: 4 Maimings: 12 Deaths: 4

13, Old English Sheep Dog Registered dogs (U.S.): 1,403 Child victims: 1 Adult victims: 1 Maimings: 0 Deaths: 2

14, Belgian Shepherd/Malinois Registered dogs (U.S.): 1,416 Child victims: 3 Adult victims: 3 Maimings: 3 Deaths: 0

15, Great Dane Registered dogs (U.S.): 9,438 Child victims: 6 Adult victims: 7 Maimings: 11 Deaths: 3

16, Border Collie Registered dogs (U.S.): 2,181 Child victims: 1 Adult victims: 1 Maimings: 2 Deaths: 1

17, Doberman Registered dogs (U.S.): 11,546 Child victims: 8 Adult victims: 6 Maimings: 7 Deaths: 6

18, German Shepherd Registered dogs (U.S.): 43,575 Child victims: 52 Adult victims: 20 Maimings: 50 Deaths: 9

19, Shar-Pei Registered dogs (U.S.): 3,261 Child victims: 5 Adult victims: 0 Maimings: 5 Deaths: 0

Stats wouldn't be swayed very much IMO if all dogs were in this statistic and not just AKC registered dogs. The AKC is the most reputable dog organization. If you want a dog with papers (bloodlines), then the AKC is the way to go. Plus most all AKC dogs are top quality in terms of companionship unless you abuse them.

To those calling me stupid, telling me to shut up, etc......I'm not one that blows smoke. I do my homework. Talking out of your ass is stupid, and just shows how incompetent you are, especially after you are presented facts from a reputable organization.
    Last edited by muto; 2011-01-09 at 10:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumpet View Post
    She... scarily looks like my bf's mentally disturbed cat 0_0
    It is....

OT: I don't wanna photograph my fishes since I don't have a good camera and well, yeah...they look like fishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flawks View Post
    It is....

OT: I don't wanna photograph my fishes since I don't have a good camera and well, yeah...they look like fishes.
    Saltwater by any chance?

this is exactly what i mean, you're one of those gullible people that can be brainwashed like the masses with just some numbers.
    Going by your logic we should next ban knives because they are deadly weapons compared to let's say spoons?

Of course a large sized dog will be more dangerous in terms of power compared to a small sized one. Those numbers don't prove that the pit or the rott as a race is dangerous, just that that there are a ton of people out there who know squat all about dogs and how to raise them. The dog isn't dangerous, the person raising it is. There are people who raise these dogs for illegal pit-fights and whatnot.

Also taking the AKC as a final statement means nothing since that only applies to the U.S. What does that mean? it means there's a lot of people who mistreat these animals and raise them the wrong way. It's a known fact that many people choose dogs not based on the needs/requirements of the dog but on looks.
    "i want a pit-bull because it looks mean" is one of the most common and overused phrases i've heard in my years of dog-training and dog-handling. Big people, bikers and whatnot throwing on tatoos of pitbulls because it looks fierce,etc.

Case in point. it is NOT the dog's fault, its the masters'. If you want to ban someone, ban those people that have no idea about dogs and how to raise them properly and ignore to learn about it.
    Perspective is like a coin. It has two faces, but most people fail to see both.

Deleted
    Aggressive dogs aren't being bred, they are raised.

The fighting dogs aren't aggressive. They just love the challenge of the fight. Still, pitbulls for example aren't even bred towards those goals anymore since dogfighting is (thankfully) forbidden nowdays in the western world.