10+ Year Old Account

need some help with my DPS

Hey guys. Iv been doing the new raids lately and my dps isnt really up there with the others..

So this is my Rotation: VT - DP - SWP - Flay Flay Flay - MB at 2 or 3 orbs and repeat wen dots are down.. i use SWD wen my mana is going down whenever i can. i use arch angel after refreshing my dots.

I am hit capped.. This is my Armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...elpalmo/simple

Please help out if u can. Im doing only 8k on boss fights.

Thanks

Deleted
    are you using MB on at least 1 orb and then refreshing your dots?, using fiend straight away and on every CD?

10+ Year Old Account
    yupp doing all that

10+ Year Old Account
    Might be a silly question but:"Are you hit capped?"

10+ Year Old Account
    yea, i said that

Quote Originally Posted by Elpalmo View Post
    Hey guys. Iv been doing the new raids lately and my dps isnt really up there with the others..

So this is my Rotation: VT - DP - SWP - Flay Flay Flay - MB at 2 or 3 orbs and repeat wen dots are down.. i use SWD wen my mana is going down whenever i can. i use arch angel after refreshing my dots.

I am hit capped.. This is my Armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...elpalmo/simple

Please help out if u can. Im doing only 8k on boss fights.

Thanks
    You actually are not hit capped, the cap is 18% and you are at 16.79%. That 1.21% may seem little but the wasted GCDs you get from not being hit capped add up. Also a couple of your reforged items are a little wonky, atm haste is far and away the best stat for Shadow Priests so any reforging you do should be for haste, then crit, then hit, and I wouldn't reforge mastery at all. And if you are short on hit you can enchant your chest with 50 spirit, your gloves with spirit, your wrists with spirit, and your boots with spirit.

Gem wise don't stack anything atm, you want to go for socket bonuses, 20 spirit/20 int in blues, 20 haste/20 into in yellow, and 40 int in red. Your meta isn't activated either, I would change it to the +54 int and 2% mana meta gem because its requirement is the easiest to meet atm.

Talent wise everything is fine, glyphs you might wanna switch out Spirit tap to either mass dispel or dispel, both are very useful in 10 mans/heroics.

Rotation wise you're mostly correct, the only thing I would do is keep SF on CD and if possible try and time it to come out right before BL/heroism, and only use MB to keep as close to 100% uptime on Empowered Shadows as possible.

Deleted
    Hi,

Checked your armour link.

Your NOT HIT caped - you need 1742 for cap at 85 for raiding
    Your HASTE is to low - Haste dictates your dot ticks
    Your CRIT is to low. - Provides that extra bang on your dps

NB: Check what damage you are doing also this more imprortant than dps, you can have low dps but high damage as your spells are hitting harder.

Priors for reforge are HIT CAP > HASTE > CRIT > MASTERY (very similar to healing IMO)

Looks to me that some devleoper has had a bad few days working on priests and could not be bothered doing two specs for priests and mashed them all togerther and came up with what we have, Poor DPS and Poor Healing.

Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePhan1234 View Post
    You actually are not hit capped, the cap is 18% and you are at 16.79%.
    The hit cap is 17%, not 18%

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
    The hit cap is 17%, not 18%
    The main point remains that he's still .21% below hitcap,

Try reforing some mastery into spirit/hit, otherwise reforge mastery into haste/crit, you should also try farming the rest of your gear from heroics as your still using a green item and a few 333's.
    Last edited by Backreaper; 2010-12-23 at 11:01 AM. Reason: How do i grammar?

The first thing I will say is this: be careful who you listen to. A healthy combination of ignorance and arrogance leads to a lot of misinformation.

Firstly to address your gear. You are still 0.21% below the hit cap. While this is a fairly small amount you might want to pick up the rest of this.

The best way to do this is through reforging. Currently haste is the best stat as a shadow priest after spellpower and int of course. So you are right to try and reforge to haste where you can. Aim for every piece that doesnt have haste to be reforged to haste and still making the hit cap.

Providing you have the talent Twisted Faith, which you do, Spirit is equal to hit so there is no point reforging from spirit to hit as you have done on your bracers for instance.

It would be worth running a few more dungeons to pick up some more haste gear. There is quite a few pieces with haste/spirit which is great entry level raiding gear as a shadow priest. Also worth noting is that currently it is far superior to use a Main Hand and Off Hand rather than a staff as you can enchant your off hand with +100 int.

As far as rotation is concerned there are a few important things you should know. +% damage modifiers are only calculated when you cast a dot spell. This means your Empowered Shadow and Dark Evangelism will only have an effect if they are active when you cast your spells. Dealing good damage as a Shadow priest is about ensuring that your dots are always gaining these benefits of these spells.

This makes your opening a little more complex: It should be something along the lines of:

VT -> SW:P -> DP -> MF (Until one shadow orb) -> Mind Blast -> You should now have 5 stacks of Dark Evangelism and Empowered Shadow so VT -> DP [SW:P is auto refreshed by Mind Flay] -> Archangel -> Then cast MB(At least 1 orb) > Mind Flay.

When Bloodlust is cast, you must refresh your dots to gain the full benefit. If you know bloodlust is coming make absolutely sure you have Empowered Shadow and Dark Evangelism active.

When you use Archangel you lose all your stacks of Dark Evangelism so only use it when you know that you will not have to refresh dots for some time.

When refreshing dots it used to be best to try and time them to land right after the old dot ended. However the way dots work is slightly changed in cataclysm. Reapplying a dot will simply extend its duration after the next tick. Consequentially landing a new DoT and not refreshing the old Dot will mean that you lose the benefit of some of your haste. Always try and refresh your dots right before they run out.
    When you have your level of gear it is important to use Shadow Fiend foremost to regain mana. It does significant damage howeve

Always cast Shadow Word: Pain before DP as whenever you cast an instant spell you can move. Increasing your chance to generate a Shadowy Apparition. (Just wiggling around is fine). Casting SW before execute range is a big dps loss so you want to try and maintain your mana without resorting to using SW.

Once you reach execute range (<25%) however make sure to use your double sw:death on cooldown. You can move while you cast them to generate shadowy apparitions as well. Watch out for fights when you are dealing extra damage - it is very easy to kill yourself .

Lots of information but stick with it. Shadow Priests are in a really enjoyable state right now, in PvE at least, whereby you gain a noticeable amount of damage from good execution of your 'rotation'. In heroics with full heroic gear you should be aiming to be anywhere from 10-11k on bosses. Once you start to get some epics from reputation and move into raids you should be aiming around 14k on a fight like Baradin Hold.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by say10; 2010-12-23 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Backreaper View Post
    The main point remains that he's still .21% below hitcap,

Try reforing some mastery into spirit/hit, otherwise reforge mastery into haste/crit, you should also try farming the rest of your gear from heroics as your still using a green item and a few 333's.
    If you are up to speed with the simcraft results, hit is being evaluated worse than crit... now there is some conjecture about those results but you could certainly deduct from those discussions that being 0.21% under the hit cap isn't a big deal and cetainly won't provide a negative impact on your DPS in any meaningful way.

The main issues for poor DPS usually lie in poor UI's, unwillingness or poor keybinds, inability to track and react appropriately to procs, poor cd usage. Specifically keybinding and using good keybinds will result in higher GCD usage, it's amazing how many players lose a large quantity of possible GCDs to reaction/downtime. The only way a person is going to find the specific issue as to why their DPS is bad is to analyse logs and try to compare their actual peformance against the theoretical best performance. So if an encounter goes for 200 sec did you cast 200 sec worth of spells, if not what was it? If it was 150 sec worth of spells there is something causing you a loss of 50sec of cast time.

Once that issue can be rectified or verified as correct you look at the sources of damage, are you keeping DoTs up close to 100% of the time, is MB being cast with at least 1 orb, whats the uptime of empowered shadows, was shadowfiend used on CD, did you archangel the max number of times, did you line it up with trinket procs and on use abilities. Are you clipping MF ticks?

Once that is rectified or verified as correct then your DPS loss may be a result of a lack of caster friendly buffs, do you have 8% damage up on the target etc. Or look at your spec, does it include all of the DPS talents, did you for some reason not get vieled shadows etc.

Then after all that is verified you look at min/maxing gear... and that should be the very last thing you do because gear makes the least impact in comparison to all the other things I mentioned. For people to simply look at your gear and say you're not hit capped, thats the issue is naive at best. No-one here can tell you what the issue is with any certianty without doing the sort of analysis I mention. I suggest you look at your logs and do that analysis or if you don't combat log start doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I just made the switch from Disc to Shadow and the biggest challenge for me (at first) was getting used to managing my dots under the new system. I recommend getting something like ForteXorcist, EventHorizon or anything else that will track your dots and show the ticks. Once I did that I've been able to jump up there with some of the best dps in my guild.

And to comment on hit cap, 0.21% is so small that with my haste levels (a little low) and 0.21% chance to miss I would average a miss slightly over once every 14 minutes. Pretty much anything under 0.3% miss should be close enough to hit cap that you won't really notice any difference unless you get a bad streak.

Listen to Say10, he is right. The little bit you are under hit isn't that big of a deal but it is worth picking up because missing a 50k swd in execute is a buzz kill.