Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea a bit confusing, a bit disappointing, but no matter what I am so sad at the end of Matts reign. Capaldi...I just don't know. Doesn't seem right for the Dr. now but maybe he will grow on me like Eckelson did.

I liked it to be honest, sure it was slightly disappointing because of all the hype around it BUT a good episode nonetheless. As for the regeneration itself.. The regeneration wasn't the *snap* moment, he regenerated at the Clock Tower but he kept his face which then he changed in the TARDIS in front of Clara.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think i may be watching a different tv show to the rest of you, it answered tons of questions i had, was a lovely send off featuring a certain person, the regeneration was dramatic, surprising and warm felt all at the same time... yeh it was a little quick i didn't really gather my emotions in time for that bit ;p

The regeneration was too quick, it just happened in a flash and I didn't really get any idea of how Capaldi will be.

Deleted
    Really good episode in my opinion, although the regeneration was a bit meh. The build up was good, but the actual switch didn't really do it for me.

Deleted
    Sort of spoilers I guess: While I thought the episode in general was kind of meh I think I understand why the regeneration was so fast. Moffat got a lot of stick (even from David Tennant) for hamming up the last one and dragging it out so much I guess he decided to drop a new Doctor in our laps without a big, flashy regeneration scene this time (which we technically got but I guess they didn't want the last we saw of Matt Smith to be a wrinkled old man).

So how old does that make the Dr now?

Quote Originally Posted by pyroadi View Post
    So how old does that make the Dr now?
    Well he was around 1200 when he landed on trenzalore, then 300 years passed untill the next time he saw Clara, then more time, so possibly 2000?

ive still got 4.5 hours to wait

Deleted
    Paled in comparison to the 50th anniversary episode. Sloppy structure, ( Clara's gone, now she's back, she's gone, now she's back again) under defined location (there was nothing to Christmas or it's inhabitants beyond the name), muddy concept (kind of leading off day of the doctor but too many enemies without focus) - spreading it over hundreds of years gave it a big montage feeling and the musing that it is all pointless. The main threat is neutralised by one person's plea after hundreds of years of causing the problem, and ended by an explosive regen. It's just too unbelievable.

Compare it to the end of day of the doctor that created a plausible and neat solution to a really harrowing problem and there's no contest. This special was just not very good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stripeyhat View Post
    Sort of spoilers I guess: While I thought the episode in general was kind of meh I think I understand why the regeneration was so fast. Moffat got a lot of stick (even from David Tennant) for hamming up the last one and dragging it out so much I guess he decided to drop a new Doctor in our laps without a big, flashy regeneration scene this time (which we technically got but I guess they didn't want the last we saw of Matt Smith to be a wrinkled old man).
    Russell T Davies was responsible those episodes, but it is likely they consciously chose to do the opposite as a result of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nungamunch View Post
    Russell T Davies was responsible those episodes, but it is likely they consciously chose to do the opposite as a result of it.
    Oh, really? I thought Moffat had taken the reins by then. Fair enough, I just remember hearing about how Tennant (and many others) disliked the "I don't want to go" line and thought it should have been done in silence. I can't help but think they overdid it with the Capaldi regeneration though. I enjoyed the Amy cameo but what would have been nice is something more like the Eccleston regeneration which I thought was great.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NonameXADX View Post
    I liked it to be honest, sure it was slightly disappointing because of all the hype around it BUT a good episode nonetheless. As for the regeneration itself.. The regeneration wasn't the *snap* moment, he regenerated at the Clock Tower but he kept his face which then he changed in the TARDIS in front of Clara.
    He didn't regenerate at the clock - as he himself said - that was just the regeneration cycle reset. So he got a fresh cycle of 12 regenerations now. And the old cycle's 13th doctor had to regenerate into 1st new cycle doctor - that he did in the tardis (glowing hands, remember?).

The snappiness of regeneration may be tied to the first phrases Capaldi's Doctor says "I have new kidneys now?" and especially "do you know how to fly this thing?" We will have to wait till next season to see what that means. I heard that they want to reveal how Doctor gets new faces - from where they come - tying it to previous Capaldi appearances on the show. I suppose this regeneration went somewhat wrong and Capaldi's Doctor retains some previous "host" memories. Apparently he was dying of kidney failure, died of kidney failure.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2013-12-25 at 10:44 PM.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    He didn't regenerate at the clock - as he himself said - that was just the regeneration cycle reset. So he got a fresh cycle of 12 regenerations now. And the old cycle's 13th doctor had to regenerate into 1st new cycle doctor - that he did in the tardis (glowing hands, remember?).

The snappiness of regeneration may be tied to the first phrases Capaldi's Doctor says especially "do you know how to fly this thing?" We will have to wait till next season to see what that means.
    I think its more because he hasn't fully regenerated yet, just like the 9>10th regen. The first episode of next season is what i'm really looking forward to

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    I think its more because he hasn't fully regenerated yet, just like the 9>10th regen. The first episode of next season is what i'm really looking forward to
    Did you see those bursts of light that destroyed all Daleks over Christmas? How's that "not a complete regeneration" IF that was a regeneration? It doesn't even begin to compare to 9>10 regeneration in power.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    my god that sucked big time. The writing had better get a whole lot better, or even an actor with Capaldi's skill won't be able to redeem it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    once again moffat displays his inability to write interesting stories
    yep, that man is so up himself its unbelievable.....thinks he's so clever when really its just inane crap that he thinks is profound.

Total waste of an hour....at least Smith is gone, thats positive at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Amy was sexy, Rory was cool, Clara is sexy and Cool.
    Amy was not sexy, I had this urge to headbutt the TV whenever she came on, totally annoying.

Rose was better, even though I cant work out what the fuck was going on with that accent!

Still, Clara was pretty good, I prefered Martha, but the best "companion" was definitely River in my opinion. Or possibly jack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... Not sure about Doctor Who...

Skipping the ending and the whole Deus Ex Machina "don't worry have more regens lol", the story just seemed unfinished...

I mean, the whole point was all of the Doctor's enemies gather on Trenzalor and have an epic scrap.

and then they all die offscreen because... Daleks... So what was the point of them being there in the first place?

The regeneration scene was ok, not quiet "I don't want to go" but it was nice to see Emilia/Amy Pond again and Peter Capaldi's line was pretty epic.

Bring on the next season, let's see what he can do!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Hmm... Not sure about Doctor Who...

Skipping the ending and the whole Deus Ex Machina "don't worry have more regens lol", the story just seemed unfinished...

I mean, the whole point was all of the Doctor's enemies gather on Trenzalor and have an epic scrap.

and then they all die offscreen because... Daleks... So what was the point of them being there in the first place?

The regeneration scene was ok, not quiet "I don't want to go" but it was nice to see Emilia/Amy Pond again and Peter Capaldi's line was pretty epic.

Bring on the next season, let's see what he can do!

I agree, but the begining was good, but they kind of lost it at the middle. It lost it's epicness then, it could have done better.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    not one to give into disappointment but wow, I really am disappointed. perhaps it was the hype build up and expectation. expected more from the transition between matt and capaldi. didn't create the same feeling and connection as with eccleston & tenant. disappointed by the "siege of trensalore".didn't feel epic whatsoever. Hopefully Sherlock will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul360 View Post
    not one to give into disappointment but wow, I really am disappointed. perhaps it was the hype build up and expectation. expected more from the transition between matt and capaldi. didn't create the same feeling and connection as with eccleston & tenant. disappointed by the "siege of trensalore".didn't feel epic whatsoever. Hopefully Sherlock will be awesome.
    My feelings, apart from Sherlock since I don't follow it. It felt really really rushed....
    ~ stuff, the best thing ~

They tried to do too much with the 1 hr simple as that, an episode with that much happening you expect to carry over to the next episode at the least. What we were left with was a nice start with a build up to something, a 600 year or w/e battle crammed into the middle, a bit of emo dialogue when the cyber head died, and a ridiculous ending. I was waiting for the writer to crawl out of my tv and spit in my face. "oh look clara spoke to the crack and now regenerations are flying out of the sky, btw did you guys know regenerations can blow up an entire dalek army? GG!"
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.