Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    First season with him was a tremendous adjustment. It literally felt like a different era, with Amy and all that...it was a very strange shift to be honest. Going back and watching it over, it still feels more significant thatn the shift from Eccleston to Tennant, but it definitely felt *right* the 2nd go around.
    That's because Tennant picked up right where Eccleston left off, whereas Smith started over fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I don't know that completely eradicating the validity and connection with a character who is becoming so world-wide popular is a great move. Something tells me this is a completely bogus assessment. I don't doubt that we'll learn more soon, with the 50th anni and all, but I doubt it's like the Doctor is some renegade chronic liar hell bent on fooling everyone about his murderous history.

I mean, that would be right up there with letting the real Peter Parker die right after switching bodies with Doctor Octopus...oh...that happened you say? Eff...we are so screwed.
    Rule 1, The Doctor lies But I seriously doubt that everything he has said about his past will turn out to be a lie. Hell we know that the bit about locking the Timelords and Daleks away during the time war is true due to "The End of Time" episodes and we also know it is true that at that point the timelords (aside from his mother and one other timelord) were mad (as in crazy). So no, everything won't have been a lie, but it also wouldn't be surprising to find out that it all wasn't exactly the truth either.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    That's because Tennant picked up right where Eccleston left off, whereas Smith started over fresh.
    I think it also helps when you have a previous companion continuing and just a new doctor because the companion goes through the whole process of learning about the new doctor and what he's like with you. It's like you have a partner in rediscovering the Doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me it felt like the drastic change from david tennant to matt smith was because steven moffat didn't like the previous storylines/ characters. It doesn't exactly encourage me to like his new creations when he basically says the story and characters you were devoted to in the past are not worth the time and effort -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Rule 1, The Doctor lies But I seriously doubt that everything he has said about his past will turn out to be a lie. Hell we know that the bit about locking the Timelords and Daleks away during the time war is true due to "The End of Time" episodes and we also know it is true that at that point the timelords (aside from his mother and one other timelord) were mad (as in crazy). So no, everything won't have been a lie, but it also wouldn't be surprising to find out that it all wasn't exactly the truth either.

I think it also helps when you have a previous companion continuing and just a new doctor because the companion goes through the whole process of learning about the new doctor and what he's like with you. It's like you have a partner in rediscovering the Doctor.
    i dont really think they were mad... just kind of... way to proud to ever lose
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i hope Jack comes back too, he said he wants to so it's down to the producers etc.

I like the new TARDIS interior, less whimsical and more Timelordy.

Gives me hope that the next season will be more serious, not that I don't enjoy the charm of the shows brand of comedy. I just liked how the 9th and 10th doctors would have those really gritty dark moments interspersed within. The 11th hasn't really delivered in that area yet for me.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    To me it felt like the drastic change from david tennant to matt smith was because steven moffat didn't like the previous storylines/ characters. It doesn't exactly encourage me to like his new creations when he basically says the story and characters you were devoted to in the past are not worth the time and effort -.-
    hes never said he didnt like them, the only thing i remember him saying anything negative about the old series is he felt they overused the daleks and relied to much on the rose storyline which is true, and while i feel hes slightly doing that with river song even though i dont really like river song even i have to admit atleast river song coming back alot makes sense unlike "i crossed all teh timelerns and universes foar yous" and seriously pretty much every series finale was "daleks do stuff"

but other than that he has never said anything bad about rtd era he just felt like his needed a fresh start which is why rtd tried to tie up all the loose ends in the end of time

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Yeah i hope Jack comes back too, he said he wants to so it's down to the producers etc.
    hes already confirmed jack is doing SOMETHING for the 50th but it could be anything, could be a comic book, an audio drama, he may make a tiny cameo in the tv movie, who knows but hopefully its something on screen
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the episodes he wrote with Tennant and other characters like "Donna Noble has left the library, Donna Noble has been saved" and also River Song, it doesn't seem that way at all to me. He had his hands in some really great episodes before he was properly steering the ship.

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 04:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    hes never said he didnt like them, the only thing i remember him saying anything negative about the old series is he felt they overused the daleks and relied to much on the rose storyline which is true, and while i feel hes slightly doing that with river song even though i dont really like river song even i have to admit atleast river song coming back alot makes sense unlike "i crossed all teh timelerns and universes foar yous" and seriously pretty much every series finale was "daleks do stuff"

but other than that he has never said anything bad about rtd era he just felt like his needed a fresh start which is why rtd tried to tie up all the loose ends in the end of time
    Agree, even though Rose and the Doctor are all hearts forever for me. Obviously from my signature I like that era and Eccelston, lol. Say what you want about him, but that finale was fantastic. (pun intended)
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Who blew up the tardis and why?
    Why did the silence warn amy about her being pregnant?
    Why did the tardis cause the cracks when it has blow up in the past and didn't cause problems?

Why did the tardis cause the cracks when it has blow up in the past?
    the silence blew up the tardis, the cracks were caused by the silence they just made it look like it was caused by the tardis so they could get the other species to put him in the pandorica.

its not really fully explained but the entirety of series 5 was basically the silence first plan to prevent the doctor from ever turning into whatever causes the war they are trying to prevent or something... wibbly wobbly timey wimey. im hoping it has something to do with the valeyard

Why did the tardis cause the cracks when it has blow up in the past and didn't cause problems?
    They answer to all of those questions is wibbly-wobbly timey-whimey stuff.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i dont really think they were mad... just kind of... way to proud to ever lose
    Honestly when you have reached the point where you are willing to end all time and creation just so you don't lose.... I think that is in itself madness.

While I loved David Tennant as the Doctor I truly Belive Matt Smith is a lot better. I was all ready to hate him at the beginning because I didn't think anyone could replace Tennant. The wonderful thing about Smith though is that he's got a lot of range. Tennant did to some extent but he always seemed more broody to me. Smith has the insanity that I expect from The Doctor but if you piss him off...I think he seems a lot more menacing when he's angry because he's so goofy most of the time. They're not going to end him too soon either, he's got a contract to play The Doctor until at least 2014. I for one hope they reup it after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that it is very, very hard for NuWho's to accept is that, while the actor changes, they are still playing the same character; The Doctor. *However* it is still The Doctor, who inherits traits from all of his other regenerations.

For instance, Matt Smith channels some MAJOR Second, Third, Seventh and Tenth Doctor during the last few seasons.

Tennant mostly channeled the Fifth Doctor, the energetic action hero.

Eccleston channeled the Eight Doctor and the Sixth Doctor during his post-regeneration period.

I am extremely interested in seeing this new generation of fans reaction to the Ice Warriors btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    i was reading up about "the other" and rassilon last night, i really hope they continue that. back on the 7th doctor i think it was they started building a story up for it, but the show was cancelled before it played out.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Other_%28Doctor_Who%29

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    One thing that it is very, very hard for NuWho's to accept is that, while the actor changes, they are still playing the same character; The Doctor. *However* it is still The Doctor, who inherits traits from all of his other regenerations.

For instance, Matt Smith channels some MAJOR Second, Third, Seventh and Tenth Doctor during the last few seasons.

Tennant mostly channeled the Fifth Doctor, the energetic action hero.

Eccleston channeled the Eight Doctor and the Sixth Doctor during his post-regeneration period.

I am extremely interested in seeing this new generation of fans reaction to the Ice Warriors btw.
    thats one of the arguments i tend to use when "x IS TEH BES" arguments get out of hand "there is no best doctor they are all the same man just different aspects of him"

also in alot of interviews matt and steven says that when matt was rewatching old who to try to get into the character that the one he most connected with was the 2nd doctor and i think that shows

i also think that its kind of funny how the one matt connected with the most was in a very similar situation as him, both had to follow a very tough part, patrick being the first ever "new" doctor and having to convince the audience that it could continue on and matt having to follow david tennant who for alot of people was their first doctor and was one of the most well liked and loved
    Last edited by Immitis; 2013-03-21 at 09:10 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    That's only sort of true. While yes, The Doctor is still The Doctor no matter who the actor, the actors all play him differently so he really does seem like a totally different character at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    That's only sort of true. While yes, The Doctor is still The Doctor no matter who the actor, the actors all play him differently so he really does seem like a totally different character at times.
    yeah but they still have certain guidelines they have to follow. its not like they get free reign to do whatever.

one of the reasons eccelston left is because he wanted to take the character in a direction they wouldnt let him

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...christmas.html

Looks like we'll be getting a new one, hope it's someone awesome.

Would quite like Benedict Cumberbatch to become the new Doctor tbh, could be played really well.
    Last edited by Solidito; 2013-03-22 at 02:41 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...christmas.html

Looks like we'll be getting a new one, hope it's someone awesome.

Would quite like Benedict Cumberbatch to become the new Doctor tbh, could be played really well.
    Aww wtf NO?! I'm very sad if this is true. I didn't get the vibe that he wanted to leave from that interview, just that he couldn't publicly comment on it.

And no on Benedict. People keep throwing this around because of his prolific rise with sherlock, star trek, the hobbit, but no. He is not right for this part at all. In fact, Matt Smith got chosen as the doctor because he wasn't quite right for Sherlock, which also means the opposite would be true.

Edit:
    I hope they don't do anything ridiculous like have an American Doctor now that it's popular over here, or try and have a female bi time lord. Not that there's anything wrong with that on it's own, I just don't want the identity of the doctor to become pandering to specific audiences just to be PC.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-03-22 at 01:50 PM.
    BAD WOLF