Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

15+ Year Old Account

Pretty awesome trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    yeh guess it is around the same amount of episodes as previous seasons..was just expecting it to be 4 episodes because the first "half" was 4 :P
    well the first half only had those few because they wanted the first half to be all about amy and rory, they had already filmed a few more but they wanted them to have an ending then have matt and clara kind of start over on their own
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

15+ Year Old Account
    i just started watching! i gotta go back and watch older seasons first i think tho.

Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    I watched probably half of the first season of the newer Dr. Who, and honestly it looks like it was filmed in a garage for the most part. It looks to have a terrible budget.
    the first season did have a small budget, partially because they werent sure it was going to be successful, the last few times they tried to relaunch who it didnt really kick off that well.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

If you don't like it you don't like it. Watching half of Season 1 is giving it a fair enough chance. Not everyone is going to like it.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    If you don't like it you don't like it. Watching half of Season 1 is giving it a fair enough chance. Not everyone is going to like it.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the conceptual portion....just the presentation is really what gets me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the conceptual portion....just the presentation is really what gets me.
    Well it's the BBC. They have smaller budgets than American studios. The productions values do increase later on, but the cheesyness doesn't reduce until Season 5, and never goes away entirely.

But my point was that sometimes certain franchises just don't gel with certain people. For example people who share my tastes in literature often recommend 'The First Law Trilogy' and 'Malazan: Book of the Fallen' but try as I might I just can't get into them.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Well it's the BBC. They have smaller budgets than American studios. The productions values do increase later on, but the cheesyness doesn't reduce until Season 5, and never goes away entirely.

But my point was that sometimes certain franchises just don't gel with certain people. For example people who share my tastes in literature often recommend 'The First Law Trilogy' and 'Malazan: Book of the Fallen' but try as I might I just can't get into them.

Speaking of literature, I'm on the last book of Wheel of TIme....

Read the entire series in 3 months (14 books since January)

If you don't mind some mid series stalling, I recommend it.

Speaking of literature, I'm on the last book of Wheel of TIme....

Read the entire series in 3 months (14 books since January)

If you don't mind some mid series stalling, I recommend it.
    I was avoiding starting that series because Jordan died. But I'm reconsidering because I love Sanderson. Do you think he stays faithful to the "tone" and "cadence" of the original author?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was avoiding starting that series because Jordan died. But I'm reconsidering because I love Sanderson. Do you think he stays faithful to the "tone" and "cadence" of the original author?
    I hate to say it.... but I actually found me enjoyment of the series increasing with Sanderson at the helm. I was the same as you, I stopped when Robert Stopped, but after much much MUCH bugging by a friend I reread the whole series... And I've gotta say the last few books are AWESOME. He kept everything going incredibly well, with tone, story style, characterization etc. Just with alot less braid tugging, arms crossed under breasts etc etc.

on topic.... SIX HOURS TO GO WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    David Tennant and Billie Piper are back for the 50th, alongside John Hurt !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21980892

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post

*faints*

now just to have them back fully and my life will be complete :S

It's prob gonna be the alternate world doctor/ rose...i really hope it shows them being happy...maybe even a daughter/ son? :P
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-03-30 at 02:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post

I freaked out when I read that. Now we just need them to announce that John Barrowman will do it too, but I think they would have said something by now.
    Formerly The Dwarf Lover (TDL)

10+ Year Old Account
    he keeps his bow tie in a special box >.<

Jordan spent the his last 4-5 books dancing around the plot and when Sanderson took over he shifted the series into high gear.

Sanderson's take is almost the same as Jordan's first 4 books of the series, so it stay true to its style.

imo, Sanderson taking over was probably the best thing for the series. Jordan laid some intricate backstory, roots and character developments and Sanderson brought the fruit to bear.
    Last edited by leafs43; 2013-03-30 at 06:43 PM.

Two things I picked up on this first episode

1. I'm pretty sure that was badwolf bay in the first scene, could be coincidence but I think it has something to do with the 50th special in Nov,

2. When he was scrolling through 101 places to go, and it had the years listed 1 - 24, number 23 was missing, assuming hes going to confront her about her 23rd year at some point and will have no memory of it,

Also can someone remind me who john hurt played, can't seem to put my finger on it,
    Last edited by Rotted; 2013-03-30 at 07:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigimi44 View Post
    I freaked out when I read that. Now we just need them to announce that John Barrowman will do it too, but I think they would have said something by now.
    Barrowman will not take part into the 50th special

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is prob just a coincidence, they do everything on that beach such as the angels episodes and the dinosaur episode

I don't think steven moffat would intentionally make a reference to rose/10th doctor without being forced to do so>.<

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I think it is prob just a coincidence, they do everything on that beach such as the angels episodes and the dinosaur episode

I don't think steven moffat would intentionally make a reference to rose/10th doctor without being forced to do so>.<
    Idk with those two episodes it didnt jump out as ovbious it was the same place where they filmed it, but that jumped out at me the second I saw it

Anyone else notice the little easter egg towards the start?
    The name of the author of that book:
    Amelia Williams.