Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

  1. #12201
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    im not saying the doctor is infallible im more stating that they dont have to redo a storyline in the exact same way that had already been done over and over again from 9 to 11. they can take parts of it without having to bog the character down by having them be the cause of it while also adding a layer of mystery and a hook.

    i wonder if this is the season we finally get omega considering people have been predicting that since series 1 lol
    Omega might be an interesting take on the old horror story of the invisible man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  2. #12202
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Omega might be an interesting take on the old horror story of the invisible man.
    someone mentioned online that the outline of their form is similar to omegas helmet

    if they end up bringing in stuff about the other and possibly the looms i could see omega being the big bad of the series
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  3. #12203
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    To be fair, the french soldier was revealed to be a british spy, so they would both have been speaking English. And generally I just assume any time the doctors talking to someone without the Tardis around, they're just speaking the language of the person anyway as I presume the Doctor nearly every language anyway.
    If you remember, in "The Christmas Invasion" (or whatever David Tennant's first Christmas special was called), the TARDIS was right there by Rose and Jackie's building, but the instant translating didn't work until the Doctor woke up from his nap on the Sycorax ship. So I would imagine it's also something to with the Doctor just as much as the TARDIS.
    Still calling them out, one infraction at a time.

  4. #12204
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    someone mentioned online that the outline of their form is similar to omegas helmet

    if they end up bringing in stuff about the other and possibly the looms i could see omega being the big bad of the series
    You're talking to the very person that argued against the Other and the Looms and the cartmel masterplan to all the writers on the internet forum back in the early-mid 1990s lol. I thought it was all rubbish and ruined the Doctor because it made him too important. If the Doctor is just some random timelord that rose up and fixed things, it makes him a better character. But if he is one of the founders of Gallifrey, it makes him too special and cheapens the lore.

    I have the exact same problem with Azeroth being a special planet in WoW lore. If the people of Azeroth rise up and defeat galactic threats, it feels like a huge accomplishment. BUT, if the planet itself the special because within it sleeps the most powerful Titan, then it cheapens that lore because we are no longer special. We win because we were born with a silver spoon. We tap the powers of the most powerful titan to defeat what others could not.

    If they change the Doctor's lore to make him a founder of the time lords, then he's been slow playing the universe this whole time. He always been special, pretty much a god, and he's been playing with a stacked deck this whole time. He's got a silver spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  5. #12205
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    You're talking to the very person that argued against the Other and the Looms and the cartmel masterplan to all the writers on the internet forum back in the early-mid 1990s lol. I thought it was all rubbish and ruined the Doctor because it made him too important. If the Doctor is just some random timelord that rose up and fixed things, it makes him a better character. But if he is one of the founders of Gallifrey, it makes him too special and cheapens the lore.

    I have the exact same problem with Azeroth being a special planet in WoW lore. If the people of Azeroth rise up and defeat galactic threats, it feels like a huge accomplishment. BUT, if the planet itself the special because within it sleeps the most powerful Titan, then it cheapens that lore because we are no longer special. We win because we were born with a silver spoon. We tap the powers of the most powerful titan to defeat what others could not.

    If they change the Doctor's lore to make him a founder of the time lords, then he's been slow playing the universe this whole time. He always been special, pretty much a god, and he's been playing with a stacked deck this whole time. He's got a silver spoon.
    i have a feeling what theyre doing this time is similar but that it affects the whole species.

    the master says they were all lied to, that everything about the founding of gallifrey, the entire backbone of their civilization has been a lie, and then the doctor has a flashback that the master says is hidden inside all of them and has to do with the timeless child.

    i think we're going to have a situation where somehow all gallifreyans and timelords are some sort of clone or offshoot of the timeless child/founder of gallifrey

    i just hope this isnt chibnalls way of making "timelords are actually just humans from the future" canon
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  6. #12206
    I assumed on that one it was just turned off. I'm literally rewatching the episode Extremis now and the pope keeps swapping back between English and what I assume is Italian, despite being stood 2 feet from the Tardis. So basically, there are no rules to it it seems.

  7. #12207
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    I assumed on that one it was just turned off. I'm literally rewatching the episode Extremis now and the pope keeps swapping back between English and what I assume is Italian, despite being stood 2 feet from the Tardis. So basically, there are no rules to it it seems.
    yeah theres tons of times where people speak multiple languages and other things. the matrix rarely comes up as a plot device unless they want it to (like when donna spoke latin in rome to see what would happen)

    - - - Updated - - -

    The master was cosplaying as the first doctor in his holovid



    - - - Updated - - -

    ‘We see deeper though, further back, The Timeless Child… we see what’s hidden, even from yourself. The outcast, abandoned and unknown…'

    the line about the timeless child last series
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  8. #12208
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I typed "doctor who review" into youtube, filtered by view count and the last month. The most views for any video is just 46k?!?! I know the ratings were way way off but that's pretty bad. Maybe people don't know the show is back?
    people know

    people just dont like current iteration of doctor.

    thats whole mistery .

    Jodie Whitaker was a mistake to be cast - they should have kept Capaldi for 2-3 more years .

  9. #12209
    Really don't like the current writer.

    Galifrey was fresh out of the time war, a single renegade tinelord couldn't pose much of a threat to it

  10. #12210
    spoilers!



    Well the secret would have to be something to cause the Master to destroy Gallifrey. I suppose that would have to be one of the following:

    1. The time lords have an evil origin that, like a timebomb, will destroy the universe at an appointed time. (maybe they use the black holes to do it. Maybe they serve a supreme Great Vampire buried inside Gallifrey and will unleash him at some point like some galactic version of the Cabin in the Woods)
    2. The time lords are using both the Master and the Doctor as pawns in some greater game that was started as far back as the founding of Gallifrey.
    3. The Master has been recruited by the Black Guardian to assemble the key to time, and Gallifrey happened to be one of the pieces.

    I'd like to see the show touch on the Great Vampires, the Osirians, the White and Black Guardians, or the Eternals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  11. #12211
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    spoilers!



    Well the secret would have to be something to cause the Master to destroy Gallifrey. I suppose that would have to be one of the following:

    1. The time lords have an evil origin that, like a timebomb, will destroy the universe at an appointed time. (maybe they use the black holes to do it. Maybe they serve a supreme Great Vampire buried inside Gallifrey and will unleash him at some point like some galactic version of the Cabin in the Woods)
    2. The time lords are using both the Master and the Doctor as pawns in some greater game that was started as far back as the founding of Gallifrey.
    3. The Master has been recruited by the Black Guardian to assemble the key to time, and Gallifrey happened to be one of the pieces.

    I'd like to see the show touch on the Great Vampires, the Osirians, the White and Black Guardians, or the Eternals.
    all of those would be pretty cool, in the flashback the doctor saw all you can see is a girl looking up to a dark sky. maybe the timeless child is some sort of being locked away since the founding of gallifrey? we've been told the ability to regenerate came from being exposed to the schism but what if its actually from the timeless child? or maybe even has to do with the creation of tardises since theyre alive?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Really don't like the current writer.

    Galifrey was fresh out of the time war, a single renegade tinelord couldn't pose much of a threat to it
    they were so afraid the doctor was the hybrid and would destroy gallifrey they locked him in the time dial.

    whatever the master found out about the timeless child it infuriated him so much that he destroyed them and the master is probably one of the few timelords who could match the doctor.

    we also dont know how he did it. there were probably plenty of items in the omega vault he couldve used to do it, thats where the doctor got the moment.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  12. #12212
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    I assumed on that one it was just turned off. I'm literally rewatching the episode Extremis now and the pope keeps swapping back between English and what I assume is Italian, despite being stood 2 feet from the Tardis. So basically, there are no rules to it it seems.
    Yeah, I don't think Dr. Who is or has ever been a show with any serious world building rules going on. You pretty much just make it up as you go along. That's kind of the fun of it. It's Calvinball in British scifi show form.

  13. #12213
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    I assumed on that one it was just turned off. I'm literally rewatching the episode Extremis now and the pope keeps swapping back between English and what I assume is Italian, despite being stood 2 feet from the Tardis. So basically, there are no rules to it it seems.
    Well, the lack of translation is actually a clue in the episode that something is not quite right in the world, as Extremis is ultimately revealed to take place inside a computer simulation. I did find it odd English was being spoken throughout Spyfall II despite not having any scientific reason for the translation, but all the characters interacting did actually speak English as a first or second language I believe, which means it was only really awkward in that everyone led with English even in France. I know that The Doctor implanted her usual companions with universal translators last season but maybe she has mind powers over languages now; she seems to have long-distance telekinesis and mind-wiping capabilities all of a sudden, so hey why not?
    Matador (pseudonym) is a doctoral student focusing on cultural studies. Their primary research area is popular culture in digital spaces, particularly internet and gaming communities. MatadorMedia.org.

  14. #12214
    Quote Originally Posted by MatadorMedia View Post
    Well, the lack of translation is actually a clue in the episode that something is not quite right in the world, as Extremis is ultimately revealed to take place inside a computer simulation. I did find it odd English was being spoken throughout Spyfall II despite not having any scientific reason for the translation, but all the characters interacting did actually speak English as a first or second language I believe, which means it was only really awkward in that everyone led with English even in France. I know that The Doctor implanted her usual companions with universal translators last season but maybe she has mind powers over languages now; she seems to have long-distance telekinesis and mind-wiping capabilities all of a sudden, so hey why not?
    The doctor wiped donnas mind the same way.

    the telekinesis thing could have something to do with the rhythm being implanted in the masters mind since she used that to connect with him beforehand.

    nothing quite beats rtd era lazerbeams and floaty god 10 using the power of hugs
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  15. #12215
    Feels great to be excited for Doctor Who again. I'm both impressed and scared by what Chib might be going for but I'm all for it, we needed a big shake up in the show for some time.

  16. #12216
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Dr. Who is or has ever been a show with any serious world building rules going on. You pretty much just make it up as you go along. That's kind of the fun of it. It's Calvinball in British scifi show form.
    Pretty much this and it's been so since the 60s. Anyone looking for coherent timeline of events with no contradictions are in the wrong show.

    Doctor who has from day 1 been basically a kids scifi fantasy with a kind of moral undertone. Where lore has always been messy and everyone forgets about alien invasions on earth the minute after it has ended.

  17. #12217
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Feels great to be excited for Doctor Who again. I'm both impressed and scared by what Chib might be going for but I'm all for it, we needed a big shake up in the show for some time.
    I agree. Last season, the first 2 episodes did nothing for me and the season just kind of churned along. this season, the first 2 episodes were really good and have set up a storyline I hope they run with throughout the season.

  18. #12218
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Where lore has always been messy and everyone forgets about alien invasions on earth the minute after it has ended.
    Lore really hasn't been this messy. It's just never been messy on this massive of a scale. Ironically, the closest it ever got to being that messy was the second-to-final season when they blew up Skaro... which got retconned later.

    How many times did Gallifrey get destroyed in Classic? Never - because the storyline stakes never needed that kind of shit.

    This is, what, Number 2... discounting all the other times when Time Lords became pseudo villains, a half-assed Rassilon created, ect? Sure makes that 50th anniversary episode feel fantastic now, dunnit!? >_<

    Honestly, what's the point of caring for anything in the New-Who universe when they keep blowing it up and/or maybe resurrecting it? >_<

    And, no, they didn't "Forget alien invasions on earth the minute after it has ended" in classic, because Alien Invasions NEVER HAPPENED like it did in New-Who!

    Cybermen invading in "The Invasion" was an "evacuated London" with an excuse. Same went with the Yeti Invasion in "Web of Fear" - Only UNIT dealt with that, telling the public something about gas leaks if I recall as an excuse to evacuate them.

    Zygons didn't "Invade Earth" in Terror of the Zygons. It was just one small ship that blew up in the bottom of Loch Ness, and one dead Zygon at the hands of the Brigadier in a warehouse.

    Seriously, the largest one (if you can call it that) that I can think of off the top of my head are maaaaybe the Autons shooting up the small town suburb for a few minutes. But even then, it was plastic dummies as far as people knew.

    I can go on and on for each episode how it was set up so that the Earth NEVER knew what was attacking them outside of UNIT.

    Only UNIT knew of the threat... likewise with every other UNIT threat durring the 3rd Doctor - it was always contained in small areas controlled by UNIT. They ALWAYS wrote it in a way where civilians (outside of maybe 2 major characters) were never in the know or saw them. There were no giant spaceships in the sky in Classic-Who. Even Axos landing was kept to among the major government super-powers.

    Oh... the "Dalek Invasion of Earth" you say? You mean the one set in 2150?? The one where Viki talked about reading in her history books many episodes later? That's right... they kept that shit cannon and DIDN'T forget it - but were smart enough to set it 1.5 centuries later.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2020-01-06 at 06:57 AM.

  19. #12219
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I agree. Last season, the first 2 episodes did nothing for me and the season just kind of churned along. this season, the first 2 episodes were really good and have set up a storyline I hope they run with throughout the season.
    Honestly, the first season of Dr Whittaker didn't bother me as individual episodes. But that pace kind of seems more like a 'taking a break' episode in a group of faster paced 'regular' episodes. Overall, I don't need super compelling action/drama. Dr. Who should generally be pretty low stakes, light fun. I just want some cool monsters and some scary stuff.

  20. #12220
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,572
    So the new Master.... is he really between John Simm and Michelle Gomez? Because Missy seemed pretty sure of where she ended up when he regenerated after stabbing herself (himself?) in the back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •