Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I'm waiting for the next part to form an opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very..fillery , the Yaz-Doctor relationship feels forced as hell, nice Riversong reference.

Hopefully the next episode gives her a good fair send off and doesn't further descend into a twisted mess of plot holes and retcons.

Looking forward to the breath of fresh air Russel T Davies will bring back to the show after the past few years of Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Very..fillery , the Yaz-Doctor relationship feels forced as hell, nice Riversong reference.

Hopefully the next episode gives her a good fair send off and doesn't further descend into a twisted mess of plot holes and retcons.

Looking forward to the breath of fresh air Russel T Davies will bring back to the show after the past few years of Chris.
    Along with the awfulness that Moffat did to the show post Matt Smith as well, although the damage begun from series 7 onwards really..

I've been watching Doctor Who on Amazon Prime but they still haven't offered me the Sea Devils episode. There is an offer to watch it if I try AMC+. Not doing that. Maybe it'll show up in a few days or weeks on Prime.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

This is far-fetched but possible.

Yaz will have been in every 13th Doctor story and the 13th Doctor regen story will involve the fob watch. That means it is possible Yaz is actually the Doctor and the fob watch was used to switch identities when we weren't looking.

Puts a bit of a twist on why Yaz started out wearing a police uniform yet obviously doesnt act like a cop nor has cop skills ... she came from a police box!
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2022-04-19 at 11:07 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The next Doctor will be Ncuti Gatwa.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/08/docto...metrouktwitter
    well I guess this will make the people who have spent the last few years complaining that the Doctor can't be a woman happy, right? right...?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vindicator View Post

No one being honest can look at the first 12/(13) Doctors and the last two and seriously say they're the same character now; it simply isn't the Doctor anymore
    that's the thing though, it totally is still the Doctor.

Eccleston was dark and mature and it almost sank NuWho out the gate.

Tennant got goofier with angry undertones, Smith was outright childish most of his runs with some sadness. Capaldi was an old, tired Doctor trying to be young again by wearing sunglasses and playing guitar and generally goofing around. Didn't see much of Whittaker's run, but my impression is she was trying to be the Doctor who was youthful and invigorated again.

While the Doctor can be black, a woman, etc., given the current climate where there's obviously an enormous backlash at leftist social politics, its really a poor choice. 20 years ago, picking a woman or a black person would have been no problem (and in fact, Joanna Lumley playing the Doctor in a 1999 special brought no backlash whatsoever to prove the point.) In fact, the Brigadier chose a female scientific advisor to replace the Doctor as seen in Liz Shaw in Spearhead From Space. She was, in fact, the first female Doctor. But it didn't cause a stink because gender issues weren't linked to politics back then to anywhere near the degree it is today. TODAY, it just doesn't work as it invokes heavy heavy politics. (whereas Lumley's selection didn't).
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2022-05-08 at 04:59 PM.

as long as the person can act well and the writing isnt crap. i am fine with whoever the doctor is.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

But when you look at historically how competitive and difficult it was to get such a iconic role; and look at Gatwa's body of work - it's an extremely odd decision, he's only been in one popular show and even then; he's very young
    The same could have been, and was, said about Matt Smith.

- - - Updated - - -

No one being honest can look at the first 12/(13) Doctors and the last two and seriously say they're the same character now; it simply isn't the Doctor anymore
    Every Doctor is a little bit different than the one that came before.. but they are all the Doctor.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't enjoy him in sex education, hopefully he's better in Doctor who.

I trust Russel T Davies, i just hope the BBC keeps its grubby fingers out of it this time compared to the past few years.

As long as Chris Chibnall and all his idiotology is gone and at MINIMUM the timeless children discarded into a void of non existence I wouldn't mind returning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

The actor is actually just a small part of it.

The writing is where it's all at. I think most halfway decent British leading role actors could do a great Doctor if they were given good writing. And, conversely, even the greatest actors couldn't salvage a Doctor if the writing was shit.

That's not to say the actor is irrelevant of course, but it kind of goes hand in hand with the writing: good writing gives an actor a way of playing out the role in a way that fits, while bad writing ties your hand and at best causes a grating disconnect and worst a complete train wreck (hi there, JW).

I'm willing to give any actor a try, but it's not really what I'm focused on - that is and always will be the writing.

I was hoping for Idris Alba. Maybe he was going to be to busy when he takes over as James Bond though.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I was hoping for Idris Elba. Maybe he was going to be to busy when he takes over as James Bond though.
    Probably too A-list at this point, and they couldn't afford him with a BBC budget.

Personally I cultivate a sick dream of Ricky Gervais as a swearing Doctor who loves animals and just tells everyone else to fuck off.
    Last edited by Biomega; 2022-05-09 at 01:34 AM.

Is that Jessica Alba’s husband or something?
    OOPS. Corrected

Doubly embarrassing because of course the Greek root albos (ἀλφός) means "white"...

Barry White is now deeply offended.
    As I'm sure is Jack Black.

Them's the breaks.

“I’m not black like Barry White, no I am white like Frank Black is.” - Some song from the radio when I was a kid
    Fire Water Burn - Bloodhound Gang (I think that is the title)

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The writing is where it's all at. I think most halfway decent British leading role actors could do a great Doctor if they were given good writing. And, conversely, even the greatest actors couldn't salvage a Doctor if the writing was shit.
    C.F. Peter Capaldi. The man is a brilliant actor. But holy shit I could not get into his run as the Doctor.