Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Holy fuck am I glad I didn't bother with this season
    Honestly, i've really enjoyed this season - it was much better than the last one (last few for that matter - better than any season of Capaldi's). It could just be a mix of truth/BS, but i guess we'll see.

The current "Timeless Child" arc seems like an update or callback to the old Cartmel Masterplan, a Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) plot convention where showrunner Andrew Cartmel alongside a few other Doctor Who writers and directors intended to deepen the story behind the Doctor so as to restore some of the deeper mysteries of the show which had been revealed over its exceedingly long life on the air. Chibnall seems keen to introduce a variation of this, and I'm thinking this Timeless Child is probably going to be similar to Cartmel's idea of "The Other," one of the Doctor's past selves before he became the First Doctor, and an important part of Gallifrey's past before the establishment of the Time Lords and so forth.
    "Here lies a toppled god.
    His fall was not a small one.
    We did but build his pedestal,
    A narrow and a tall one."

The Lightbringer
    I am interested into how this could change what we know about The Doctor and Gallifreyans in general. The whole Doctor Who lore has been written and re-written so often now it's plausible that anything could really happen.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    The current rumour is that The Timeless Child is The Doctor (the one she's been seeing in the visions) and that the Timelords found her on an alien planet with the ability to never die/regeneration abilities - the Timelords then abusing this and gaining the ability to regenerate/wiped her memory and that she had previous lives/forms before the "first" doctor (which explains Ruth). Idk what to think, but it sounds almost bullshitty enough to be true. It has been said the finale would change what we know about the Timelords etc so i mean.. This came from a source that spoiled The Master + the actor who played him as well.
    Hmm, interesting. Playing off of this and in connection to the Cartnel Masterplan, I would argue that Brendan is actually The Other (who becomes The Doctor). That means the two guys wiping his mind at the end would be Rassilon and Omega, putting the Other through a series of trials to figure out his secret of immortality and claiming it for themselves.

Circling back to my own theory, the Lone Cyberman could very well be either Rassilon or Omega. And we are witnessing the ascension of the cyber-race into the first Time Lords. Maybe. Just spit-balling here. So excited for the finale!
    Matador (pseudonym) is a doctoral student focusing on cultural studies. Their primary research area is popular culture in digital spaces, particularly internet and gaming communities. MatadorMedia.org.

#boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by MatadorMedia View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Playing off of this and in connection to the Cartnel Masterplan, I would argue that Brendan is actually The Other (who becomes The Doctor). That means the two guys wiping his mind at the end would be Rassilon and Omega, putting the Other through a series of trials to figure out his secret of immortality and claiming it for themselves.

Circling back to my own theory, the Lone Cyberman could very well be either Rassilon or Omega. And we are witnessing the ascension of the cyber-race into the first Time Lords. Maybe. Just spit-balling here. So excited for the finale!
    Well, the next episode of called “The Timeless Children” so it makes me wonder if there’s more than one, especially as Brendan was literally found as a child with no note. Makes me wonder if The Doctor or another time lord found them and kept them hidden, and if his dad and that other guy are time lords as well (him and his wife seemed a little suspicious giving each other looks when they said they’d look after him, so I feel like they know *something*). I also don’t get how they didn’t age when Brendan did as well, so yeah, maybe they are trying to find out how to hardness his regenerative abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    just a reminder when Dr was still good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXrqtC81ztA

i was very glad when the guy who opens the portal said "ive never seen it look like that" when it opened up to gallifrey whoosh i was worried
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Holy fuck am I glad I didn't bother with this season
    Yah that would destroy the entire character of the doctor. When the doctor was just some loser renegade Time Lord that was absolutely nothing special and stole a TARDIS trying to explore have fun and set things right, the character is very interesting. Once you make the character special (or in this case *extremely* special) the character is ruined because he/she had an unfair advantage, was born with a silver spoon, played with a stacked deck. Its like watching someone play a video game when set on God mode. Gets boring after 5 minutes. Even worse it can turn into Keeping Up with the Kardashians where people tune in to see someone who has it all do stupid things and ruin themselves, just to feel better about their own life.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the next episode of called “The Timeless Children” so it makes me wonder if there’s more than one, especially as Brendan was literally found as a child with no note. Makes me wonder if The Doctor or another time lord found them and kept them hidden, and if his dad and that other guy are time lords as well (him and his wife seemed a little suspicious giving each other looks when they said they’d look after him, so I feel like they know *something*). I also don’t get how they didn’t age when Brendan did as well, so yeah, maybe they are trying to find out how to hardness his regenerative abilities.
    Oh geez. Might as well make one of the children the Brigadier and have him magically get set down on Earth to help 3 during his exile. Make another child Sarah Jane Smith and also set down magically on Earth to help exactly when needed. Make another child Adric simply to erase Adric's death scene. None of them ever died and at the end of the episode they meet up and get to say hello and see you soon!

Well that was total excrement.

The current rumour is that The Timeless Child is The Doctor (the one she's been seeing in the visions) and that the Timelords found her on an alien planet with the ability to never die/regeneration abilities - the Timelords then abusing this and gaining the ability to regenerate/wiped her memory and that she had previous lives/forms before the "first" doctor (which explains Ruth). Idk what to think, but it sounds almost bullshitty enough to be true. It has been said the finale would change what we know about the Timelords etc so i mean.. This came from a source that spoiled The Master + the actor who played him as well.
    Well... /10char

Well... /10char
    Too bullshit to be true. Right up the BBC's and chibnals street

What a total chunk of shit they've turned this show into.

The last couple of episodes made up for the season as a whole. It go so preachy in the middle. Like, I get it, we're killing the planet, you only have to say that once.

Other than that I think it's interesting how they've made the Doctor not a Gallifrayan and where they go with this. Also the Doctor was never bound by the regeneration limits so the episode on Christmas has kinda gone out the window.
    RETH

The twist overall is sort of whatever. It doesn't change much realistically.

Im just annoyed that once again all the timelords are dead. So the over arching plotline from ninth through twelfth doctors is effectly all for naught. The timelords are all still dead but i guess this time the doctor won't feel guilty.... The Doctor being a different race with more lives to explore could be interesting? But we're back to square one of the revival with the doctor being the last (or missing atleast) their race. Its just not the timelords anymore.

The name for the Doctors mum and the original name for the Gallifrayans both sounded dumb. Minor point but i found it annoying.

holy shit. new whos never eneded on a cliffhanger like that!

im fully convinced jo martins doctor is inbetween 2 and 3 now and i really really like the way this played out compared to the cartmell master plan. although at the moment it feels like a non impactful change.

like they almost played it too safe. anyone worried the doctor is now special or has a "stacked deck" dont really have anything to worry about because the only thing that made the timeless child special was something the doctor could do all along and who they are hasnt changed because the mind wipe still makes the doctor the doctor.

but there is SO many places this could go now.

why did they wipe the doctors mind? why was the doctor abandoned?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    holy shit. new whos never eneded on a cliffhanger like that!

im fully convinced jo martins doctor is inbetween 2 and 3 now and i really really like the way this played out compared to the cartmell master plan. although at the moment it feels like a non impactful change.

like they almost played it too safe. anyone worried the doctor is now special or has a "stacked deck" dont really have anything to worry about because the only thing that made the timeless child special was something the doctor could do all along and who they are hasnt changed because the mind wipe still makes the doctor the doctor.

but there is SO many places this could go now.

All questions that are irrelevant as they wont be answered in a logical sense. Dr who has turned into fan fiction.

Also about 20 other questions need to be answered first aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    The name for the Doctors mum and the original name for the Gallifrayans both sounded dumb. Minor point but i found it annoying.
    Very much agree on that second part... Sounds a LOT like an Aussie work for redneck, had me laughing every time they said it.

Overall, though. REALLY enjoyed this episode, and this season as a whole. Honestly, this was probably my favourite season since Matt Smith left.

The reveals were very interesting and I can't wait to see where they go with them. Really enjoying Dhawan's take on the Master, pure Chaos.

My only real issues, dumb names aside:

1: Was kind of hoping the Cyber Masters would hang around a bit longer. It's been a while since we've had a great new villain and these seemed like they had HUGE potential.

2: That scene with Graham and Yaz was dumb... Where he just randomly starts talking about how awesome she is, and how he thinks she's better than the Doctor. Just seemed like something Moffat would have written for Clara. I mean, he delivered the speech well, and his joke about her response was spot on... but the whole speech just felt weak. As he was saying it, I thought to myself "Oh yeah. One of these two is totally dead." which would have made it a BIT beter... but nope.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Twenty Eight is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and I talk about my new Podcast.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/29-blog-29

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Very much agree on that second part... Sounds a LOT like an Aussie work for redneck, had me laughing every time they said it.

Overall, though. REALLY enjoyed this episode, and this season as a whole. Honestly, this was probably my favourite season since Matt Smith left.

The reveals were very interesting and I can't wait to see where they go with them. Really enjoying Dhawan's take on the Master, pure Chaos.

My only real issues, dumb names aside:

1: Was kind of hoping the Cyber Masters would hang around a bit longer. It's been a while since we've had a great new villain and these seemed like they had HUGE potential.

2: That scene with Graham and Yaz was dumb... Where he just randomly starts talking about how awesome she is, and how he thinks she's better than the Doctor. Just seemed like something Moffat would have written for Clara. I mean, he delivered the speech well, and his joke about her response was spot on... but the whole speech just felt weak. As he was saying it, I thought to myself "Oh yeah. One of these two is totally dead." which would have made it a BIT beter... but nope.
    I think what annoyed me the most about it is Gallifrayans didn't need a new name and the named Gallifrayans could have been called the whatever.

But i agree, i liked the episode itself.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    I think what annoyed me the most about it is Gallifrayans didn't need a new name and the named Gallifrayans could have been called the whatever.

But i agree, i liked the episode itself.
    Yeah, that was kinda dumb... I'd have liked them to explain WHY the Gallifreyans decided to rename themselves. Other than "Because they've been called Time Lords since day one, so we had to include that bit.

I'm really hoping next season is going to be all about answering those questions.

An I REALLY hope he's actually got a plan for it, an doesn't fuck it up...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Twenty Eight is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and I talk about my new Podcast.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/29-blog-29

I feel like the mind wipe was sort of explained when the Master said "they wanted a Founding myth" so any history tied to the truth needed to be forgotten. Since im assuming the Doctor in truth isn't limited by the 12 regeneration thing they needed to wipe the doctor's mind every dozenth regeneration to keep the lie going.

This could mean interesting things for the 11th to 12th generation since the time lords "gifted him that"
    Last edited by WonderZebra; 2020-03-01 at 11:41 PM.