Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    My guess is that he saw dead companions. That's why he made Amy and Rory stay behind when he left on the tardis at the end. That's what I think at least, if he didn't see dead companions then I'd guess he saw himself.
    I don't know, i thought the same but it would probably show dead companions as it isn't something major. I hope it's something that isn't stupid, like daleks or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah he says "Of course... who else" when he opens his door. Could be anyone behind that door, guess we'll have to wait an see, it's a bit farfetched but maybe it's the 12th Doctor? >.> No? Ok. Probably himself :P Also, when Amy asked him if his people ever worshipped a god he looked a bit distressed, anyone got any info on that? It made me wonder.
    Last edited by Ohhai; 2011-09-18 at 11:17 PM.

Deleted
    He either saw himself or less likely perhaps the master?

10+ Year Old Account
    He didn't look scared either, he accepted it and just stood there and even smiled, which makes me think it wasn't one of his enemies. (When he saw the weeping angels, he almost soiled himself)

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't think much of it tbh but now i can't stop thinking, who is it damnit! Hope it's something new that we haven't seen before, doubtful though.

Deleted
    i'd expect that it was either himself, purely because of the destruction he causes and his reaction to the hologram of himself in 'lets kill hitler' episode.

Or possibly riversong as it is she who kills him? and who isnt scared of death

I have only seen two episodes the special on the silence guys. Let me tell you I though it looked low budget but when I saw those monsters I flipped out. This might be a show I get into instead of just all the anime I watch.

Deleted
    11th doctor can't dramatise things very well, I watch him, and I feel like he's still reading the script.
    Facial expressions also K.O me. The story yet great around River Song.

I could watch say The first episode with Matt Smith as the doctor, the very end [ Spoiler ] where he says "Look me up" cracked me up, like "smashes skull" He can't pull that off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KillacrusadeME View Post
    11th doctor can't dramatise things very well, I watch him, and I feel like he's still reading the script.
    Facial expressions also K.O me. The story yet great around River Song.

I could watch say The first episode with Matt Smith as the doctor, the very end [ Spoiler ] where he says "Look me up" cracked me up, like "smashes skull" He can't pull that off.
    I actually only began to watch Doctor Who properly because I liked the mannerisms of Matt Smith's portrail of the Doctor. =)

(Still yet to spend time watching older episodes with David Tennant - Christoper Eccleston as the Doctor doesn't really seem that appealing)

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith is spectacularly dramatic. To the guy (or girl!) saying that he thinks it looks like Matt Smith doesn't know his lines, you silly guy - thats the eleventh doctors endearing mannerism!

One thing I recommend is Doctor Who Confidential. I'm not sure if it comes on BBC America or not but its a great behind the scenes look at each episode of Doctor Who.

If it *doesnt* come on BBCA, you can get it on torrent sites, not something I'd recommend normally because the existence of Doctor Who really REALLY relies on its ratings on the BBC and BBCA *but* its worth watching to see the performances on rehearsals.

-------------------------------------------------------

To my episode review!

The God Complex is a super-clever episode in that it is a double entendre in that the Hotel/Facility is a Complex intended to house a lost civilizations unneeded god, and the Doctors personal God Complex. Love it!

The whole episode manages to be more creepy during the scenes with no monster than many of the creepier episodes of Doctor Who do with.

Also, here is a good question for many of us; How many thought the Doctor, Rory and Amy would be together till the end? I mean with only two episodes left, that addition at the end was a real heart breaker.

At the same time, lets look at the storyline like this; Does "The Impossible Astronaut" begin after this episode ends? I think the answer can really only be yes. Amy and Rory start that episode in the house that the Doctor gives them in this one. Really excellent full-circle storyline going on.

For all the criticism of Moffat, I think we can all agree that he has managed to tie everything in pretty neatly to this point. It's even pretty cool that a writer that didn't do 'Impossible' was able to tie it into that episode so cleanly.

---------- Post added 2011-09-19 at 09:04 PM ----------

Also, who saw the new 'Day of the Dalek's' Special Edition? Man they did a good job restoring and updating that thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't get into this show. I don't know, it just doesn't do anything for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Couldn't get into this show. I don't know, it just doesn't do anything for me.
    It really requires you to jump on at the beginning of an arc to really hook you. I'm gonna recommend the start of the new series (the 9th doctor). Pretty much the beginning of everything Netflix offers.

It's not for everyone, but it is a great show with some good depth and development.

---------- Post added 2011-09-19 at 09:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    I have only seen two episodes the special on the silence guys. Let me tell you I though it looked low budget but when I saw those monsters I flipped out. This might be a show I get into instead of just all the anime I watch.
    This season has been going all out on the budget but yes up until now it has been fairly low budget in comparison to many american shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyaan View Post
    If not, let's see who the new sidekick is. Might be Riversong, since they supposedly spent a lifetime together. It'll fill the gap between her last encounter and her death.
    Would be nice to have more Riversong but I can't imagine they would try to show even half the things she has talked about doing with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyaan View Post
    And regarding these new episodes: I think they're just out to show his darker side. How he has a god complex, how he has to save everyone, how he decides when people die/he robs people of their lives (Amy, and her losing her childhood), and how innocents sacrifice themselves for him (the woman in today's episode). The latest episode really portrayed all of these.
    Which is sort of a theme that was really hinted at back getting near the end of Tennet's time. He was concerned for awhile that all he does is sacrifice people and ruin their lives. That was part of why every companion he visits before he regenerates was in the future, because he wanted to see that things turned out right for them. The only one he couldn't visit in the future was Rose, so he visited her in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    But do we need to see his darker side ? I'm not sure I like the direction the writers are taking the show. It was always obvious that the Doctor had a massive god complex and a need to save everyone which more often than not leaves him alone in the end. (See what happened to Rose : alternate dimension ...)
    Well considering the last regeneration is supposed to be evil, it probably does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    and what happened to the silence? is that it for their story? they built them up so much in the 1st 2, then nothing really happened with them
    True but at the end there was a comment made about even ancient beings shouldn't run from death, and it really freaked The Doctor out and we know his death has to do with the Silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortillagirl View Post
    Well the silence died, whenever anyone saw one of them. they instinctly kill them , and then completely forget about killing them once they look away.

So they had to run and hide.
    Sort of... We were originally lead to believe that the silence were those aliens who the Doctor got humanity to kill (which in hindsight is odd because he is usually not very into wiping out entire species no matter how awful they are). However, this season we have learned that The Silence is actually a religious order.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i was guessing he saw maybe an older version of himself or something, cant imagine he would fear anyone as much as himself. maybe another timelord or something.
    I am thinking most likely an older version of himself. I think he fears what he may become.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    I don't know, i thought the same but it would probably show dead companions as it isn't something major. I hope it's something that isn't stupid, like daleks or something.
    I don't think it would be dead companions. It just doesn't really seem to fit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortillagirl View Post
    Or possibly riversong as it is she who kills him? and who isnt scared of death
    I think this is most likely... or River in the Astronaut suit. He is clearly freaked out by the concept of dying and is in essence running from it (since he now knows he is supposed to die there).

Quote Originally Posted by Triage View Post
    (Still yet to spend time watching older episodes with David Tennant - Christoper Eccleston as the Doctor doesn't really seem that appealing)
    Eccleston was not a great Doctor... but I think to really "get" Tennet's Doctor you have to watch his episodes (it's only one season anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    At the same time, lets look at the storyline like this; Does "The Impossible Astronaut" begin after this episode ends? I think the answer can really only be yes. Amy and Rory start that episode in the house that the Doctor gives them in this one. Really excellent full-circle storyline going on.
    That should happen before this, because Amy and Rory have already watched all that happen. Plus when they meet up with River for that, they don't know yet that River is there daughter, which the do at this point because Amy tell him to tell River to visit her parents sometime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    That should happen before this, because Amy and Rory have already watched all that happen. Plus when they meet up with River for that, they don't know yet that River is there daughter, which the do at this point because Amy tell him to tell River to visit her parents sometime.
    After rewatching the episode last night I am nearly 100% sure that "Impossible" happens after "The God Complex". Same house and it happens two months after the Doctor leaves them. As for Amy and Rory not knowing she was their daughter at that time, chalk that up to them not wanting the audience or the actors to guess Rivers secret. It should be noted that River and the future Doctor are both obviously in on the secret.

Hmmm.... that is quite possible... Wish I could go back and rewatch it too... my fiance has this thing about deleting stuff from the tivo though Though that would explain why that house seemed familiar to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am starting to think that we might be a bit let down by the end of this season. If only because Matt Smith and Karen Gillian are both confirmed to be returning for season 7. I do not think we will be getting the big game changer we are expecting. However, I do not think I have read anything about Rory returning so maybe he manages to sacrifice himself to save the Doctor or something. I did find it interesting in the latest episode where the Doctor mentioned something to Rory about how it did not want him because he has no faith. He is not religious or superstitious and wonder if they was just a comment on his character or if there is some importance to that...

Or maybe Jack Harkness will just show up and save the day. Thats the only thing missing from the 11th Doctors episodes. Needs a little Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I am starting to think that we might be a bit let down by the end of this season. If only because Matt Smith and Karen Gillian are both confirmed to be returning for season 7. I do not think we will be getting the big game changer we are expecting. However, I do not think I have read anything about Rory returning so maybe he manages to sacrifice himself to save the Doctor or something. I did find it interesting in the latest episode where the Doctor mentioned something to Rory about how it did not want him because he has no faith. He is not religious or superstitious and wonder if they was just a comment on his character or if there is some importance to that...

Or maybe Jack Harkness will just show up and save the day. Thats the only thing missing from the 11th Doctors episodes. Needs a little Jack.
    I don't think Jack is signed for anything even up through season 7, there's a petition or something out there somewhere where people are trying to at least get him to come on for the 50th anniversary show.

*spoilers* In the next episode the Doctor knows his death is coming so he goes to visit an old friend from the last season first. Then in the final episode the Doctor goes to Lake Silencio, Utah on April 22nd, 2011...The date of his death. We all know the Doctor won't really die though, but it will still be interesting to see how it will all play out.

Personally, the news of Amy's character being continued just makes me feel disinterested. Amy and Rory were pretty good at the beginning, but imo, it's just become really predictable. As for what was behind door 11, I think it might have been been the personified version of the tardis, as I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to face a future without it.

What about The Master having full control over the TARDIS while watching the Doctor die? That was my first thought in room 11.

just a few days ago i watched doctor who for the first time starting with series 5 (eleventh hour). and tell you what. i watched the whole season in one day and now i am up to the latest episode. the show is amazing. the whole 5th season was great, as a newcomer i had no problems getting into it.

btw the way matt smith stood the whole of the villians of the galaxy down in "the pandorica opens" was soo amazing. "So, if you're sitting up there in your silly little space ships with all your silly little guns, and you've got any plans on taking the Pandorica tonight, just remember who's standing in your way! Remember every black day I ever stopped you, and then, *and then*, do the smart thing! ... Let somebody else try first. "

awesome.

but now that i am watching the matt smith era of doctor who, i am not able to watch the other season of the new doctor who coz they look sooooo cheap compared to the eleventh doctor era.

are the other season as good as this?