Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Their story is over.
    They are done, they won't be back unless it's for a special one-off episode like Rose does occasionally, but it's unlikely she will return now that Tennant is gone.

Good riddance.
    They were both great, and I loved them, but why the hell would Doctor Who just change how it operates?
    It's not about the companions, it's about the Doctor and his alien butt-kicking.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    Their story is over.
    They are done, they won't be back unless it's for a special one-off episode like Rose does occasionally, but it's unlikely she will return now that Tennant is gone.

Good riddance.
    They were both great, and I loved them, but why the hell would Doctor Who just change how it operates?
    It's not about the companions, it's about the Doctor and his alien butt-kicking.
    Like any fiction, I just want a good story, and the idea that the Doctor chose in that moment is a pretty awesome intro to a great story. It would be a crime to just drop it and move on.

The way to make a great story is to create interesting characters and torture them for 300 pages. What is being suggested here is that Moffat waited until page 300 to get to the meat of the story where the torture begins. Now, I want more! I want to see how this affects everything! Its very interesting.

I want to see how this decision affects the Doctor, his relationship with Amy and Rory. I want to see how this affects Amy and Rory. Its true torture. A permanent decision, blasting a hole in their relationship. This is what truly great stories are made of. Its like Moffat didn't have the guts to write a gripping tale involving the Doctor and the Ponds until the very end.

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 05:12 PM ----------

Here's some ideas on where this could go:

Amy get PISSED because the Doctor LIED to her. The Doctor could have gone and picked her up in the past after all, but chose not to because its really best for himself. Meanwhile, Amy never gets to see her parents again. Rory never sees his dad again. Their parents never get to see their kids again. And why does all this happen?

Because the Doctor hates goodbyes.

That is a plotline that can run a long way, delving deep into the Doctor's soul. But no, let's just move on to the next companion instead? That sucks!

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 05:16 PM ----------

I would love to see Brian Pond have to rummage through the blue flat where Amy and Rory once lived, having to pack up all the cherised memories into cardboard boxes forever. He has to go through that painful experience. And then the TARDIS materializes, the Doctor pops out, and says "Oh! So sorry, I left them back in the past. I could go get them, but I hate goodbyes! So sorry you can't see your kids ever again."

I want to see the Doctor look Brian Pond in the eye and say that.
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2012-12-08 at 01:17 AM.

I firmly believe (and this stands so long as they do not write amy and rory back in the series at any point) that the events that occurred, between trying to resolve a paradox, and the doctor needing to invade several points in time to reach rory the first time around. That perhaps the locations arent compromised, but amy and rory themselves are. Crossing your own time stream is messy, but now its across multiple realities. On top of that the Doctor stands at the mercy of the TARDIS. As it is so eloquently put in the doctor's wife:

The Doctor: You didn't always take me where I wanted to go.
    Idris: No, but I always took you where you needed to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS READ AT YOUR OWN RISK @_@

ok so apparently someone was spotted on set doubling for Patrick Troughton @_@ because apparently the series 7 finale leads right into the 50th anniversary specials so this could either be horrible or it might be AMAZING @_@

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 02:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Like any fiction, I just want a good story, and the idea that the Doctor chose in that moment is a pretty awesome intro to a great story. It would be a crime to just drop it and move on.

The way to make a great story is to create interesting characters and torture them for 300 pages. What is being suggested here is that Moffat waited until page 300 to get to the meat of the story where the torture begins. Now, I want more! I want to see how this affects everything! Its very interesting.

I want to see how this decision affects the Doctor, his relationship with Amy and Rory. I want to see how this affects Amy and Rory. Its true torture. A permanent decision, blasting a hole in their relationship. This is what truly great stories are made of. Its like Moffat didn't have the guts to write a gripping tale involving the Doctor and the Ponds until the very end.

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 05:12 PM ----------

Here's some ideas on where this could go:

Amy get PISSED because the Doctor LIED to her. The Doctor could have gone and picked her up in the past after all, but chose not to because its really best for himself. Meanwhile, Amy never gets to see her parents again. Rory never sees his dad again. Their parents never get to see their kids again. And why does all this happen?

That is a plotline that can run a long way, delving deep into the Doctor's soul. But no, let's just move on to the next companion instead? That sucks!

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 05:16 PM ----------

I would love to see Brian Pond have to rummage through the blue flat where Amy and Rory once lived, having to pack up all the cherised memories into cardboard boxes forever. He has to go through that painful experience. And then the TARDIS materializes, the Doctor pops out, and says "Oh! So sorry, I left them back in the past. I could go get them, but I hate goodbyes! So sorry you can't see your kids ever again."

I want to see the Doctor look Brian Pond in the eye and say that.
    NO you are missing what this entire show is about CHANGE they are gone GONE rtd ruined rose by bringing her back and karen and arthur have both said they refuse to ever come back nomatter how much they would love to because they arent going to ruin that moment of goodbye like rose did.

also amy and rorys adopted son already told brian that they would never see him again
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but could anyone give me a quick answer to a question? I've been wanting to watch Doctor Who but just wondering if i need to watch it from day 1 to understand it or can i just jump in when a new doctor starts?

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought of that as well, but I just don't think it works because how they ended the Pond's story gives the appearance of invalidating the PRIMARY plot point of season 6, which is stupid. Furthermore, if that's what Moffat really was shooting for, that the Doctor was truly making a choice to let them live out their lives there, then that's something that deserves to be explored in depth. That's actual character development which is sorely lacking in Doctor Who, and to just leave it unexplored is a crime.

That's an actual reason to explore how it effects the Ponds. I'd want to see how they live their lives with this decision. You've made them interesting again. Probably more interesting than they've ever been. This is a reason to keep them in the show, not just end it and move on to the next companion. So even if you are correct, its incredibly annoying to see them misuse the idea.
    If I'm not mistaken, aren't they getting a spinoff?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

[/COLOR]Here's some ideas on where this could go:

Since the beginning of the Reboot of Dr. Who both RTD and Moffet have made this very clear, your disappointment is a reaction to how little the Doctor really cares. As long as he is exorcising his demons, as long as he keeps moving it's ok, the second he has to wait, sit around, be normal he goes nutters. Amy and Rory have really caused him to sit around and live day to day more than any companion since Susan (his grand daughter). The whole story line has revolved around his hatred of goodbyes and his guilt. So yah it sucks but not because we wont see Amy any more but because the Doctor is falling into madness.

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 06:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hamhead223 View Post
    I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but could anyone give me a quick answer to a question? I've been wanting to watch Doctor Who but just wondering if i need to watch it from day 1 to understand it or can i just jump in when a new doctor starts?
    Yes and no, You can get away with reading up on all the past Doctors, and then jump into Mat Smith, but I highly recommend you watch several episodes first.

Background episodes
    Doctor.Who.S01E02.The.End.Of.The.World
    Doctor.Who.S01X.Christmas.Special.The.Christmas.Invasion
    Doctor.Who.S03E02.The.Shakespeare.Code

This really starts the Mat Smith story line:
    Doctor.Who.S04E08.Silence.in.the.Library
    Doctor.Who.S04E09.Forest.of.the.Dead
    Doctor.Who.S04E12.The.Stolen.Earth
    Doctor.Who.S04E13.Journey's.End
    Doctor.Who.S04X.Special.The.End.Of.Time.Part1.720p
    Doctor.Who.S04X.Special.The.End.Of.Time.Part2.720p

These episodes I would say you should see before starting Mat Smith.

Deleted
    I was intending to start with David Tenant and go from there, but didnt think he was the first doctor

10+ Year Old Account
    Start with Eccleston, I say. His style eases you into the fantastic madness that is Doctor Who, and I genuinely believe Tennant is made better by being your second Doctor.

'sides, Eccleston has my favourite quote, and it's in the very first episode^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Since the beginning of the Reboot of Dr. Who both RTD and Moffet have made this very clear, your disappointment is a reaction to how little the Doctor really cares. As long as he is exorcising his demons, as long as he keeps moving it's ok, the second he has to wait, sit around, be normal he goes nutters. Amy and Rory have really caused him to sit around and live day to day more than any companion since Susan (his grand daughter). The whole story line has revolved around his hatred of goodbyes and his guilt. So yah it sucks but not because we wont see Amy any more but because the Doctor is falling into madness.
    thats not what its about at all O_o his guilt isnt about him wanting to leave them its about him wanting to stay with them yet he knows they will end up dead or lost or forgetting him. the storyline was about how hes selfish hes lonely and even though he knows they will probably die he brings them anyways he tries to trick himself by saying he asked them but even he says in the god complex that he knows its still his fault its the equivalent of handing candy to a baby.

the doctor cares about every companion deeply they are all he ever remembers but the doctor is the type of person who tries to push all their sadness away hoping that if they try to ignore it it will go away. the doctor hates himself because he blames himself for everything that happens to his companions he hates to see them age or change because hes selfish and hates goodbyes.

thats the main reason the doctors always saving people and planets and things sure he does have a good soul and he does want to help them just to help them but theres a huge part of him that does it because he thinks maybe if he saves these people it might in some way atone for what he feels hes responsible for.

the companions, the master, the time war. in the doctors head there all his fault and everyday he wracks his mind about how he could somehow fix or atone for them.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 07:45 AM ----------

am i the only one who thinks this song was written about the tardis O_O

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    thats not what its about at all O_o his guilt isnt about him wanting to leave them its about him wanting to stay with them yet he knows they will end up dead or lost or forgetting him. the storyline was about how hes selfish hes lonely and even though he knows they will probably die he brings them anyways he tries to trick himself by saying he asked them but even he says in the god complex that he knows its still his fault its the equivalent of handing candy to a baby.

the doctor cares about every companion deeply they are all he ever remembers but the doctor is the type of person who tries to push all their sadness away hoping that if they try to ignore it it will go away. the doctor hates himself because he blames himself for everything that happens to his companions he hates to see them age or change because hes selfish and hates goodbyes.

thats the main reason the doctors always saving people and planets and things sure he does have a good soul and he does want to help them just to help them but theres a huge part of him that does it because he thinks maybe if he saves these people it might in some way atone for what he feels hes responsible for.

the companions, the master, the time war. in the doctors head there all his fault and everyday he wracks his mind about how he could somehow fix or atone for them.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 07:45 AM ----------

am i the only one who thinks this song was written about the tardis O_O

lol sounds like the song was made for that. i actually really liked that episode where the tardis goes inside a human being.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Well it's 5 hours until the next episode, so I want to say Merry Christmas, and make sure to have fish sticks and custard.

Deleted
    Well, that episode was amazing. I'm looking forward to the upcoming episodes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamhead223 View Post
    I started with the ninth doctor and I thought that was a good place to start. If you watch netflix it will be listed as season one. Anyway I still haven't gotten to the newest doctor but I am liking this one a lot.

Amazingly hilarious episode, looking forward to the next one.
    Playing since 2007.

Amazing Christmas special this year, IMO. The new companion is looking good. Can't wait for the new series.

Quote Originally Posted by Eximess View Post
    Amazing Christmas special this year, IMO. The new companion is looking good. Can't wait for the new series.
    Not really a new series, just there was a mid series break. Something imported from the states that i detest.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye I really liked that special, thought it was VERY funny, with a decent story and I really like the new companion (okay she's no Amy Pond, but she's not bad at all ).

I also really like where they're going with the new girl, as it seems she's some kind of endlessly reincarnated being , but one who has memories of the future... wait what?

bring on the second 1/2 of the Season!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Aye I really liked that special, thought it was VERY funny, with a decent story and I really like the new companion (okay she's no Amy Pond, but she's not bad at all ).

I also really like where they're going with the new girl, as it seems she's some kind of endlessly reincarnated being , but one who has memories of the future... wait what?

bring on the second 1/2 of the Season!

only thing that dissapointed me was i was looking forward to the new companion having a victorian accent

---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 01:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eximess View Post

oh was that why the last series was only 5 episodes long?

when do the new episodes start?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Not really a new series, just there was a mid series break. Something imported from the states that i detest.
    dont worry, we hate it here too.