Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Maybe we'll get the Valeyard during the last episode this season. Revealing his great secret, The Doctor could unleash the darker side of himself. What would scare the Silence more than anything? A more sinister version of their already formidable opponent The Doctor, that's what. Or maybe we'll just see a glimpse of the darkness within The Doctor starting to come forward; it could make for an interesting plot to have him battling internal demons to start the next season. The Valeyard is certainly coming at some point down the road, regardless, for continuity.

Deleted
    Well, since River gave the Doctor all her regenerations, it could be that something goes wrong with him and triggers the Valeyard. That'd be pretty cool actually

I wonder if Clara will die again soon, making the Doctor look for a new version of her, revealing something about the mystery surrounding her in the process.

I also just found the site Doctor Who TV. They have some poll where every episode is voted between 1-5 by people, and then a ranking after that.

1. The Snowmen
    2. The Angels Take Manhattan
    3. Asylum of the Daleks
    4. The Bells of Saint John
    5. A Town Called Mercy
    6. Cold War
    7. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
    8. The Power of Three
    9. The Rings of Akhaten
    http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/your-verdic...king-48097.htm

I find that I agree very much with this ranking, and I think I will take it and run away with it. Personally, I think I'd put Hide between A Town Called Mercy and Cold War. Being sorta positive about the Journey to the Centre of the Tardis episode, I think it might go between The Bells of Saint John and Asylum of the Daleks, but I'd not be too disappointed if it ended between A Town Called Mercy and The Bells of Saint John.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-04-23 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    It has always had the holo recording system it is usually used by the Doctor to leave messages to companions. For some reason the TARDIS felt it had to talk to Clara, which is important in answering the question about her. For starters this version of Clara "Oswin" Oswald is her first life, it is made clear she started out just a normal normally intelligent girl, thanks to some melding by bad guys her intelligence is raised, as she travels she is slowly changing next episode she will be exposed to the Heart of the TARDIS, ie the strange thing that happens to her is indirectly/directly the Doctors fault. So yah her difference as a person will come out by the end of next episode.

as to plot holes mentioned, Everything in Doctor Who is a plot hole filled with silliness, the entertainment of the show is not diminished from facts or reason.

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 04:21 PM ----------

I hope not, it is nice to see a strong female character who can get along quit well with out an all important male telling her what to do.

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 04:31 PM ----------

It's all leading up to the Birth of the Valeyard. The ultimate Doctor Villain, his soul spilt evil twin. At a guess they might have John Hurt play him, or even David Tennant. Which would be awesome.

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 04:37 PM ----------

Since the classic show is a much slower paced show Start with the 9th Doctor aka 2005 Doctor Who, however at some point after you become addicted and feel like you can handle the much slower pace of 60's, 70's and 80's British TV get a hold of the classic show, however be aware many episodes of the 1st and 2nd Doctor are missing. Sadly the BBC destroyed a bunch of the early stuff, not realizing the cultural value of the show.
    ive been saying they should bring in the valeyard for years now, with smith getting darker every season i always thought that might be there plan

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 06:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I wonder if Clara will die again soon, making the Doctor look for a new version of her, revealing something about the mystery surrounding her in the process.

I also just found the site Doctor Who TV. They have some poll where every episode is voted between 1-5 by people, and then a ranking after that.

1. The Snowmen
    2. The Angels Take Manhattan
    3. Asylum of the Daleks
    4. The Bells of Saint John
    5. A Town Called Mercy
    6. Cold War
    7. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
    8. The Power of Three
    9. The Rings of Akhaten
    http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/your-verdic...king-48097.htm

I find that I agree very much with this ranking, and I think I will take it and run away with it. Personally, I think I'd put Hide between A Town Called Mercy and Cold War. Being sorta positive about the Journey to the Centre of the Tardis episode, I think it might go between The Bells of Saint John and Asylum of the Daleks, but I'd not be too disappointed if it ended between A Town Called Mercy and The Bells of Saint John.
    i dont care what anybody says, dinosaurs on a spaceship is my favorite episode of all time
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Doctor Who newbie here

What's the difference between the original DW from the 1960s and the one that started running in 2005

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436992/

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhira View Post
    Doctor Who newbie here

What's the difference between the original DW from the 1960s and the one that started running in 2005

Z.
    probably romance and companions are more fleshed out. also story arcs were WAAAAAAY longer.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i dont care what anybody says, dinosaurs on a spaceship is my favorite episode of all time
    What did you like about it? It wasn't completely and utterly horrible, I don't think any episode has been since season 5 at least, but I found it rather weak compared to what else we've got.

What did you like about it?
    all of the dark doctor moments, all of the silly moments.

i thought it was the perfect blend of darkness and sillyness, although i didnt care much for nefertiti or that hunter guy, felt like they couldve not even shown up and it wouldnt have made much of a difference

also this bit

Rory: Did you just have that on you?
    Brian: Of course. What sort of a man doesn't have a trowel? Put it on your Christmas list.
    Rory: Dad, I'm 31 years old. I don't have a Christmas list anymore.
    Doctor Who: I do!!

Doctor Who newbie here

Z.
    The old show is his First-Seventh life, the new show being his Ninth-Eleventh life (and still going). The Eighth Doctor was only shown in a TV movie between the shows.

The new is more modern, the old is rather ancient and crappy TV these days. Biggest difference is probably the fact that Gallifrey, the planet The Doctor and the rest of the Time Lords is from, was part of the old show, but has in the new show been destroyed, leaving The Doctor the last of the Time Lords, and while I'm not sure if it's been a theme in the old show, a theme in the new show is that the Doctor is lonely, and he gets a bit freaky and dark if he hasn't had companions with him for a while.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 12:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    all of the dark doctor moments, all of the silly moments.

i thought it was the perfect blend of darkness and sillyness, although i didnt care much for nefertiti or that hunter guy, felt like they couldve not even shown up and it wouldnt have made much of a difference

also this bit

Rory: Did you just have that on you?
    Brian: Of course. What sort of a man doesn't have a trowel? Put it on your Christmas list.
    Rory: Dad, I'm 31 years old. I don't have a Christmas list anymore.
    Doctor Who: I do!!
    I could almost say that (or something similar) about every episode, but that's up to you.

The old show is his First-Seventh life, the new show being his Ninth-Eleventh life (and still going). The Eighth Doctor was only shown in a TV movie between the shows.

The new is more modern, the old is rather ancient and crappy TV these days. Biggest difference is probably the fact that Gallifrey, the planet The Doctor and the rest of the Time Lords is from, was part of the old show, but has in the new show been destroyed, leaving The Doctor the last of the Time Lords, and while I'm not sure if it's been a theme in the old show, a theme in the new show is that the Doctor is lonely, and he gets a bit freaky and dark if he hasn't had companions with him for a while.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 12:42 PM ----------

I could almost say that (or something similar) about every episode, but that's up to you.
    eh idk all i know is that pretty much the whol episode i was smiling and laughing and having a blast, and when the doctor killed solomon that was one of my favorite moments. i love when the doctor goes dark

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    New Who is a distinctly British, fast-paced, cerebral action show with strong character development. It's like drinking a complex, yet very fresh/new whiskey where you only get hints of it's origins, but it's flavor kicks you in the teeth.

Classic Who is similar, except the action is toned down, the pacing is far slower, and it's very much a refined and more family oriented experience. If you can put your mind in the times when it came out, you will be able to maximize your enjoyment of these episodes. They are like a very aged whiskey, where the flavor might be slightly dull and the barrel tones are much more evident. It's smooth and relaxing, something to sing you a lullaby instead of get your blood flowing.

That's the closest I can get to describing the old show for you. You have to be ok with slowing your brain down, getting in an older mindset, and then they are fully enjoyable.
    BAD WOLF

Biggest difference is probably the fact that Gallifrey, the planet The Doctor and the rest of the Time Lords is from, was part of the old show, but has in the new show been destroyed, leaving The Doctor the last of the Time Lords, and while I'm not sure if it's been a theme in the old show, a theme in the new show is that the Doctor is lonely, and he gets a bit freaky and dark if he hasn't had companions with him for a while.
    Is it ever addressed in the show... as a Time Lord, if he is so lonely, why he doesn't go back to before his planet was destroyed and save the planet, or at least some of the other time lords?

Also, thanks to everyone who gave me a starting point of where to begin watching this show!

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    No chard Space Suit, no evidence of a dead body. In fact it was too normal looking.
    Oooh, so obvious >< Didn't even occur to me, but yea that's weird. I mean it would have happened that way if the computer had already saved her, but then the Screwdriver thing would have been completely pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchaeus View Post
    Is it ever addressed in the show... as a Time Lord, if he is so lonely, why he doesn't go back to before his planet was destroyed and save the planet, or at least some of the other time lords?

Also, thanks to everyone who gave me a starting point of where to begin watching this show!
    the entire timewar and everyone who was in it is timelocked, also if you can help it you are supposed to not try and cross your own timeline (obviously this happens from time to time)

its never explicitly explained how far back the timelock extends for gallifrey but we know the ruins of skaro still exist (the homeworld of the daleks)

the timewar is a pretty big thing that defines the doctor, he had to pretty much destroy his entire race for what they were going to do to end it.

the timewar was a war between the timelords and the daleks, the daleks are a mutant race of squid like beings that are pretty much the embodiment of hatred, they hate everything that isnt dalek and basically want to kill all life in the universe

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because believe it or not, the Time Lords became something more awful than the Daleks. When you get to the last episodes of David Tennant, without spoiling too much for you, someone else is bringing back Gallifrey and the Time Lords and he specifically makes the decision to 'send them back to hell' ie, to the Time War to die again.

So really he made the decision to kill them all multiple times. I think a large part of what he misses about the Time Lords is what they were before the Last Great Time War. Before Rassilon became corrupt.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    An image from Journey to the Center of the Tardis :

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    An image from Journey to the Center of the Tardis :

there was a whole album posted on reddit earlier of shots from the next episode, looks like its going to be exciting the doctor is keeping something in his tardis that he shouldnt be by the looks of it

While the Doctor can be lonely, his relationship with his people is difficult at best

- remember he did steal the TARDIS, actually from a museum (tidbits from the original series as well as "The Doctor's Wife"). Remember in "An Uneartly Child" the Doctor was hiding out on earth.

- he was accused and found guilty of meddling in time, forced to undergo a regeneration and then bansished to earth. Tranisition between the second and third doctor. Eventually the Time Lords forgave him and returned the TARDIS's dematerialization circuit about midway through the third doctors run.

- he was elected president of Gallifrey, a post he did not want, (think this was at the end of "The Five Doctor's"), and several times he stated that if he returned he would be 'forced' to serve as president.

- then there was the bit with sixth doctor, and him begin put on trial (see "Trial of a Timelord" story arc).

Others have answered this as well. It's because the Time Lords became corrupted and released many gargantuan horrors like the Nightmare Child. The Doctor has an extreme hatred for the Daleks, and added to the corruption of the Time Lords, he basically said "to hell with all of you" and destroyed both races then time-locked the entire event so it couldn't be reverted.

As an aside, the only person that has successfully gone back into the Time War is the Dalek Caan; Caan went completely insane as a result but could see all of time and space, and he managed to rescue Davros the creator of the Daleks. It is interesting to note that Caan eventually also massacred the entire race of Daleks, much like The Doctor killed his own people to stop the evil that they had become.

The Doctor has tried multiple times to persuade The Master, his best friend and fellow Time Lord, to join him in his journey through time and space. The Master, however, has chosen repeatedly to be selfish and destructive which made him the arch-nemesis to The Doctor. Currently it seems The Master is again locked in the Time War but I'm sure he'll find a way out again.
    Last edited by MatadorMedia; 2013-04-23 at 04:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post

You'll miss out on tons of great Tennant episodes.
    I don't get this, I simply said you should start with 9th doctor (Eccleston). How does this lead to missing great Tennant episodes?