Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. If anything I think we need WAY more missy. She's an amazing actress and freakin hilarious. What's not to Love?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeupname999 View Post
    I know the companion will have to be somewhat humaniod cause of the poor actor/actress that will have to play it but in the whole of doctor who history he has never gone around with an actual alien. I know adric, Nyssa, Turlough was aliens but they was all human looking. Now sure the alien doesnt have to look like the blob but damn if Star Trek could get away with sticking some forehead bumps on a actor and calling it a alien iam sure Dr Who could get away with it too!

That whole we need a human as a proxy has been so played out that its just positively boring now.
    I wonder when we will get to the point whereby CGI character will be good and cheap enough to have a completely CGI companion recorded with mo-cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Why? So we can keep our gender bending to a minimum? B/c I mean, how dare such an important character do it! /s
    Pretty much, yeah. It was a poor decision and a poor retcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. It was a poor decision and a poor retcon.
    How is it a retcon? The past hasn't been changed in any way.

In fact the idea that time lords can swap gender has been established for a few seasons now. I'm just glad it was Missy and not the Doctor that swapped.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    How is it a retcon?
    Do you remember Romana the Time Lady? When she regenerated, she had a very different experience than the Doctor did and this was attributed to her gender. She went through several different forms until she found one she liked. Since this was established first in the series, the current regenderation concept is a retcon.

Do you remember Romana the Time Lady? When she regenerated, she had a very different experience than the Doctor did and this was attributed to her gender. She went through several different forms until she found one she liked. Since this was established first in the series, the current regenderation concept is a retcon.

what does that have to do with being a girl? if anything all it means is that if a timelord willingly regenerates they can choose how they look.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    There were Time Lords and Time Ladies. Time Lords regenerated in a utilitarian way in which the process was very quick AND it was largely uncontrollable. Time Ladies had a much longer process in which they could try out multiple forms before deciding. (It was a lot like comparing male and female orgasms, some would say.) Time Lords were a thing and Time Ladies were a thing and they were separate. Now, all Galyfreyans regenerate like the Doctor and the distinctly female regeneration process has been lost to the retcon and to gender politics.

There were Time Lords and Time Ladies. Time Lords regenerated in a utilitarian way in which the process was very quick AND it was largely uncontrollable. Time Ladies had a much longer process in which they could try out multiple forms before deciding. (It was a lot like comparing male and female orgasms, some would say.) Time Lords were a thing and Time Ladies were a thing and they were separate. Now, all Galyfreyans regenerate like the Doctor and the distinctly female regeneration process has been lost to the retcon and to gender politics.
    this was never the case.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol....Regeneration must be kept as misogynistic and heteronormative as possible or else the world ends. Get out of here with your archaic thinking and hiding behind 'lore' and 'retcons'.
    BAD WOLF

This was also back when "male" regeneration involved having a future manifestation of yourself appear and spy on you for a while before merging with your dying body to trigger your regeneration. Which is "canon" that never got re-used for any prior or subsequent regeneration of The Doctor, and was never shown to be used for any other Time Lord, male or female.

There have been several attempts to explain Romana's regeneration sequence in that story. Nothing in the episode itself, however, indicated that Romana being female was the reason why her regeneration was different; that's just an assumption caused by gender stereotypes of the time, assuming any difference must be because of gender, and that only females would try on different new bodies before choosing one they liked (which ended up being the first one they chose after wasting the male's time for half an hour).
    Last edited by Khime; 2016-06-16 at 09:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you remember Romana the Time Lady?
    Whose to say the Master wasn't always capable of this, but simply chose the forms he did because they suited who he was at the time, and then now chose this new form, because it suits her?

Hell, we know from Doctor Capaldi that Timelords have some small control over what they look like as well, if the Doctor can choose to look like he does to send himself a message, whose to say the master couldn't pick his current face to further his goal of fucking with The Doctor at every given chance.

Not sure this counts as a retcon, since we don't know the specifics of The Masters regeneration into Missy.

I mean, for all we know, The Master might have done the same thing that The Doctor did when he regenerated into The War Doctor.

So many possibilities, you can't immediately assume it's the worst case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    There have been several attempts to explain Romana's regeneration sequence in that story. Nothing in the episode itself, however, indicated that Romana being female was the reason why her regeneration was different; that's just an assumption caused by gender stereotypes of the time, assuming any difference must be because of gender, and that only females would try on different new bodies before choosing one they liked (which ended up being the first one they chose after wasting the male's time for half an hour).
    I mean, considering the time period when Romana was filmed, it's quite possible the writers were exactly going for that stereotype on a "meta" level, IE people would "relate" to it even if it was alien within the universe. That doesn't mean modern Dr. Who has to stick with that stereotype, especially since "in-universe" it isn't the norm or explained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    this was never the case.
    And yet there it is, on screen. Canon.

yeah it happened. your claim that thats how all females regenerate or that the doctor wasnt capable of that isnt and never has been canon.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah it happened. your claim that thats how all females regenerate or that the doctor wasnt capable of that isnt and never has been canon.

are you just incapable of reading?

10+ Year Old Account
    are you just incapable of reading?
    That's funny because I was just starting to wonder the same thing about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Do you have any proof of the bold part somewhere?
    I think his proof will be "And yet there it is, on screen. Canon."

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And yet here it is on screen. Retcon.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side