Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i do like that chibnall undid some of the big changes moffat had previously undone without having to bloody the doctors hands or taint their morality this time
    The Doctor's morality was already tainted back in The Silurians (1970). The Silurians had awakened from their slumber and were in some disagreement as to how to integrate with humans. The Doctor said there must be peace. The Brigadier instead committed a genocide and blew them all up. The Doctor's response was....to continue to be the scientific advisor of UNIT. If you threaten the Doctor with no hope of ever traveling in his TARDIS ever again, his morality goes straight out the window. He needed UNIT to try to fix the TARDIS. So he accepted the genocide.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The Doctor's morality was already tainted back in The Silurians (1970). The Silurians had awakened from their slumber and were in some disagreement as to how to integrate with humans. The Doctor said there must be peace. The Brigadier instead committed a genocide and blew them all up. The Doctor's response was....to continue to be the scientific advisor of UNIT. If you threaten the Doctor with no hope of ever traveling in his TARDIS ever again, his morality goes straight out the window. He needed UNIT to try to fix the TARDIS. So he accepted the genocide.
    im not saying the doctor is infallible im more stating that they dont have to redo a storyline in the exact same way that had already been done over and over again from 9 to 11. they can take parts of it without having to bog the character down by having them be the cause of it while also adding a layer of mystery and a hook.

i wonder if this is the season we finally get omega considering people have been predicting that since series 1 lol
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

OK I might be rusty with Who Lore, but I thought to recall the TARDIS being the explanation as to how they could all speak and understand english.. Now can someone explain how french resistance soldier from the 1940's and a British lady from the 1820's could speak together without it ?
    AM i missing something or is Chibnall writing THAT bad ?

It's always a bit sad and hard to accept the "new" doctor when the actor changes, but last season, I simply didn't recognized the show. They show too much, and leave not enough to the imagination, with their new fancy format and clear picture. I miss the campy doctor, the bigger than life character. This show forgot its soul somewhere, and i'm afraid Chibnall won't get it back in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Echil46 View Post
    OK I might be rusty with Who Lore, but I thought to recall the TARDIS being the explanation as to how they could all speak and understand english.. Now can someone explain how french resistance soldier from the 1940's and a British lady from the 1820's could speak together without it ?

It's always a bit sad and hard to accept the "new" doctor when the actor changes, but last season, I simply didn't recognized the show. They show too much, and leave not enough to the imagination, with their new fancy format and clear picture. I miss the campy doctor, the bigger than life character. This show forgot its soul somewhere, and i'm afraid Chibnall won't get it back in time.
    the masters tardis was there, but this also isnt the first time the tardis has been away or missing and the translation matrix was handwaved or ignored.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Echil46 View Post

To be fair, the french soldier was revealed to be a british spy, so they would both have been speaking English. And generally I just assume any time the doctors talking to someone without the Tardis around, they're just speaking the language of the person anyway as I presume the Doctor nearly every language anyway.

im not saying the doctor is infallible im more stating that they dont have to redo a storyline in the exact same way that had already been done over and over again from 9 to 11. they can take parts of it without having to bog the character down by having them be the cause of it while also adding a layer of mystery and a hook.

i wonder if this is the season we finally get omega considering people have been predicting that since series 1 lol
    Omega might be an interesting take on the old horror story of the invisible man.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Omega might be an interesting take on the old horror story of the invisible man.
    someone mentioned online that the outline of their form is similar to omegas helmet

if they end up bringing in stuff about the other and possibly the looms i could see omega being the big bad of the series

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    To be fair, the french soldier was revealed to be a british spy, so they would both have been speaking English. And generally I just assume any time the doctors talking to someone without the Tardis around, they're just speaking the language of the person anyway as I presume the Doctor nearly every language anyway.
    If you remember, in "The Christmas Invasion" (or whatever David Tennant's first Christmas special was called), the TARDIS was right there by Rose and Jackie's building, but the instant translating didn't work until the Doctor woke up from his nap on the Sycorax ship. So I would imagine it's also something to with the Doctor just as much as the TARDIS.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

someone mentioned online that the outline of their form is similar to omegas helmet

if they end up bringing in stuff about the other and possibly the looms i could see omega being the big bad of the series
    You're talking to the very person that argued against the Other and the Looms and the cartmel masterplan to all the writers on the internet forum back in the early-mid 1990s lol. I thought it was all rubbish and ruined the Doctor because it made him too important. If the Doctor is just some random timelord that rose up and fixed things, it makes him a better character. But if he is one of the founders of Gallifrey, it makes him too special and cheapens the lore.

I have the exact same problem with Azeroth being a special planet in WoW lore. If the people of Azeroth rise up and defeat galactic threats, it feels like a huge accomplishment. BUT, if the planet itself the special because within it sleeps the most powerful Titan, then it cheapens that lore because we are no longer special. We win because we were born with a silver spoon. We tap the powers of the most powerful titan to defeat what others could not.

If they change the Doctor's lore to make him a founder of the time lords, then he's been slow playing the universe this whole time. He always been special, pretty much a god, and he's been playing with a stacked deck this whole time. He's got a silver spoon.

You're talking to the very person that argued against the Other and the Looms and the cartmel masterplan to all the writers on the internet forum back in the early-mid 1990s lol. I thought it was all rubbish and ruined the Doctor because it made him too important. If the Doctor is just some random timelord that rose up and fixed things, it makes him a better character. But if he is one of the founders of Gallifrey, it makes him too special and cheapens the lore.

I have the exact same problem with Azeroth being a special planet in WoW lore. If the people of Azeroth rise up and defeat galactic threats, it feels like a huge accomplishment. BUT, if the planet itself the special because within it sleeps the most powerful Titan, then it cheapens that lore because we are no longer special. We win because we were born with a silver spoon. We tap the powers of the most powerful titan to defeat what others could not.

If they change the Doctor's lore to make him a founder of the time lords, then he's been slow playing the universe this whole time. He always been special, pretty much a god, and he's been playing with a stacked deck this whole time. He's got a silver spoon.
    i have a feeling what theyre doing this time is similar but that it affects the whole species.

the master says they were all lied to, that everything about the founding of gallifrey, the entire backbone of their civilization has been a lie, and then the doctor has a flashback that the master says is hidden inside all of them and has to do with the timeless child.

i think we're going to have a situation where somehow all gallifreyans and timelords are some sort of clone or offshoot of the timeless child/founder of gallifrey

i just hope this isnt chibnalls way of making "timelords are actually just humans from the future" canon

I assumed on that one it was just turned off. I'm literally rewatching the episode Extremis now and the pope keeps swapping back between English and what I assume is Italian, despite being stood 2 feet from the Tardis. So basically, there are no rules to it it seems.

I assumed on that one it was just turned off. I'm literally rewatching the episode Extremis now and the pope keeps swapping back between English and what I assume is Italian, despite being stood 2 feet from the Tardis. So basically, there are no rules to it it seems.
    yeah theres tons of times where people speak multiple languages and other things. the matrix rarely comes up as a plot device unless they want it to (like when donna spoke latin in rome to see what would happen)

- - - Updated - - -

The master was cosplaying as the first doctor in his holovid

- - - Updated - - -

‘We see deeper though, further back, The Timeless Child… we see what’s hidden, even from yourself. The outcast, abandoned and unknown…'

the line about the timeless child last series

I typed "doctor who review" into youtube, filtered by view count and the last month. The most views for any video is just 46k?!?! I know the ratings were way way off but that's pretty bad. Maybe people don't know the show is back?
    people know

people just dont like current iteration of doctor.

thats whole mistery .

Jodie Whitaker was a mistake to be cast - they should have kept Capaldi for 2-3 more years .

10+ Year Old Account
    Really don't like the current writer.

Galifrey was fresh out of the time war, a single renegade tinelord couldn't pose much of a threat to it

spoilers!

Well the secret would have to be something to cause the Master to destroy Gallifrey. I suppose that would have to be one of the following:

1. The time lords have an evil origin that, like a timebomb, will destroy the universe at an appointed time. (maybe they use the black holes to do it. Maybe they serve a supreme Great Vampire buried inside Gallifrey and will unleash him at some point like some galactic version of the Cabin in the Woods)
    2. The time lords are using both the Master and the Doctor as pawns in some greater game that was started as far back as the founding of Gallifrey.
    3. The Master has been recruited by the Black Guardian to assemble the key to time, and Gallifrey happened to be one of the pieces.

I'd like to see the show touch on the Great Vampires, the Osirians, the White and Black Guardians, or the Eternals.

spoilers!

Well the secret would have to be something to cause the Master to destroy Gallifrey. I suppose that would have to be one of the following:

1. The time lords have an evil origin that, like a timebomb, will destroy the universe at an appointed time. (maybe they use the black holes to do it. Maybe they serve a supreme Great Vampire buried inside Gallifrey and will unleash him at some point like some galactic version of the Cabin in the Woods)
    2. The time lords are using both the Master and the Doctor as pawns in some greater game that was started as far back as the founding of Gallifrey.
    3. The Master has been recruited by the Black Guardian to assemble the key to time, and Gallifrey happened to be one of the pieces.

I'd like to see the show touch on the Great Vampires, the Osirians, the White and Black Guardians, or the Eternals.
    all of those would be pretty cool, in the flashback the doctor saw all you can see is a girl looking up to a dark sky. maybe the timeless child is some sort of being locked away since the founding of gallifrey? we've been told the ability to regenerate came from being exposed to the schism but what if its actually from the timeless child? or maybe even has to do with the creation of tardises since theyre alive?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Really don't like the current writer.

Galifrey was fresh out of the time war, a single renegade tinelord couldn't pose much of a threat to it
    they were so afraid the doctor was the hybrid and would destroy gallifrey they locked him in the time dial.

whatever the master found out about the timeless child it infuriated him so much that he destroyed them and the master is probably one of the few timelords who could match the doctor.

we also dont know how he did it. there were probably plenty of items in the omega vault he couldve used to do it, thats where the doctor got the moment.

Yeah, I don't think Dr. Who is or has ever been a show with any serious world building rules going on. You pretty much just make it up as you go along. That's kind of the fun of it. It's Calvinball in British scifi show form.

Well, the lack of translation is actually a clue in the episode that something is not quite right in the world, as Extremis is ultimately revealed to take place inside a computer simulation. I did find it odd English was being spoken throughout Spyfall II despite not having any scientific reason for the translation, but all the characters interacting did actually speak English as a first or second language I believe, which means it was only really awkward in that everyone led with English even in France. I know that The Doctor implanted her usual companions with universal translators last season but maybe she has mind powers over languages now; she seems to have long-distance telekinesis and mind-wiping capabilities all of a sudden, so hey why not?

Quote Originally Posted by MatadorMedia View Post
    Well, the lack of translation is actually a clue in the episode that something is not quite right in the world, as Extremis is ultimately revealed to take place inside a computer simulation. I did find it odd English was being spoken throughout Spyfall II despite not having any scientific reason for the translation, but all the characters interacting did actually speak English as a first or second language I believe, which means it was only really awkward in that everyone led with English even in France. I know that The Doctor implanted her usual companions with universal translators last season but maybe she has mind powers over languages now; she seems to have long-distance telekinesis and mind-wiping capabilities all of a sudden, so hey why not?
    The doctor wiped donnas mind the same way.

the telekinesis thing could have something to do with the rhythm being implanted in the masters mind since she used that to connect with him beforehand.

nothing quite beats rtd era lazerbeams and floaty god 10 using the power of hugs

Feels great to be excited for Doctor Who again. I'm both impressed and scared by what Chib might be going for but I'm all for it, we needed a big shake up in the show for some time.