Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Dr. Who is or has ever been a show with any serious world building rules going on. You pretty much just make it up as you go along. That's kind of the fun of it. It's Calvinball in British scifi show form.
    Pretty much this and it's been so since the 60s. Anyone looking for coherent timeline of events with no contradictions are in the wrong show.

Doctor who has from day 1 been basically a kids scifi fantasy with a kind of moral undertone. Where lore has always been messy and everyone forgets about alien invasions on earth the minute after it has ended.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Feels great to be excited for Doctor Who again. I'm both impressed and scared by what Chib might be going for but I'm all for it, we needed a big shake up in the show for some time.
    I agree. Last season, the first 2 episodes did nothing for me and the season just kind of churned along. this season, the first 2 episodes were really good and have set up a storyline I hope they run with throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Where lore has always been messy and everyone forgets about alien invasions on earth the minute after it has ended.
    Lore really hasn't been this messy. It's just never been messy on this massive of a scale. Ironically, the closest it ever got to being that messy was the second-to-final season when they blew up Skaro... which got retconned later.

How many times did Gallifrey get destroyed in Classic? Never - because the storyline stakes never needed that kind of shit.

This is, what, Number 2... discounting all the other times when Time Lords became pseudo villains, a half-assed Rassilon created, ect? Sure makes that 50th anniversary episode feel fantastic now, dunnit!? >_<

Honestly, what's the point of caring for anything in the New-Who universe when they keep blowing it up and/or maybe resurrecting it? >_<

And, no, they didn't "Forget alien invasions on earth the minute after it has ended" in classic, because Alien Invasions NEVER HAPPENED like it did in New-Who!

Cybermen invading in "The Invasion" was an "evacuated London" with an excuse. Same went with the Yeti Invasion in "Web of Fear" - Only UNIT dealt with that, telling the public something about gas leaks if I recall as an excuse to evacuate them.

Zygons didn't "Invade Earth" in Terror of the Zygons. It was just one small ship that blew up in the bottom of Loch Ness, and one dead Zygon at the hands of the Brigadier in a warehouse.

Seriously, the largest one (if you can call it that) that I can think of off the top of my head are maaaaybe the Autons shooting up the small town suburb for a few minutes. But even then, it was plastic dummies as far as people knew.

I can go on and on for each episode how it was set up so that the Earth NEVER knew what was attacking them outside of UNIT.

Only UNIT knew of the threat... likewise with every other UNIT threat durring the 3rd Doctor - it was always contained in small areas controlled by UNIT. They ALWAYS wrote it in a way where civilians (outside of maybe 2 major characters) were never in the know or saw them. There were no giant spaceships in the sky in Classic-Who. Even Axos landing was kept to among the major government super-powers.

Oh... the "Dalek Invasion of Earth" you say? You mean the one set in 2150?? The one where Viki talked about reading in her history books many episodes later? That's right... they kept that shit cannon and DIDN'T forget it - but were smart enough to set it 1.5 centuries later.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2020-01-06 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I agree. Last season, the first 2 episodes did nothing for me and the season just kind of churned along. this season, the first 2 episodes were really good and have set up a storyline I hope they run with throughout the season.
    Honestly, the first season of Dr Whittaker didn't bother me as individual episodes. But that pace kind of seems more like a 'taking a break' episode in a group of faster paced 'regular' episodes. Overall, I don't need super compelling action/drama. Dr. Who should generally be pretty low stakes, light fun. I just want some cool monsters and some scary stuff.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    So the new Master.... is he really between John Simm and Michelle Gomez? Because Missy seemed pretty sure of where she ended up when he regenerated after stabbing herself (himself?) in the back.

So the new Master.... is he really between John Simm and Michelle Gomez? Because Missy seemed pretty sure of where she ended up when he regenerated after stabbing herself (himself?) in the back.
    Think it's presumed he's post-Gomez incarnation - especially considering that Gomez apparently didn't know of any "Dirty Secret" about the Time Lords nor show any desire to wipe them out. Nobody knows, and I honestly doubt they're going to address that - especially considering they didn't bother addressing it in this episode.

This season sounds like a step up from last, but do I need to watch last seasons episodes to not get lost? Or is this season independent so far?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    This season sounds like a step up from last, but do I need to watch last seasons episodes to not get lost? Or is this season independent so far?
    So far, it's independant. Last season as basically all one shot episodes. THIS season, He's clearly building to some kind of big story. So you should be fine too jump in at Spyfall part 1.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    The only part you'd theoretically be lost in is who the 3 main companions are and some of their motivations.

I'd also say you should consider watching the NYE episode from last year, as I'm more than suspecting that they'll follow up that one this season somehow.

looking back last season the only episode i can say truly wowed me was it takes you away.

i didnt hate it or dislike it like some people but it felt very going through the motions.

i dont think ive been this excited for a story arc kicking off since lake silencio (also nervous because it seems to be digging deep)
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I thought Part II was a huge letdown after a decently exciting Part I of Spyfall. The O reveal would have been effective standalone; he really did not need to also be the Master, as that actually derailed the story entirely. And the personality of this Master is wildly inconsistent already.

My biggest complaint about last season was that The Doctor seemed to break her code every so often (generally pacifism) but she never once evaluated the morality of that choice or experienced any consequences. Those moral dilemmas and the aftermaths were always so important in prior seasons. I made an audio on YouTube discussing this hypocrisy if anyone cares to listen:

-snip- This is not a forum for advertising your YouTube channel.

Cheers.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2020-01-07 at 02:32 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    did River Song ever meet the Master? or Missy? that would've been exciting watching those two together

did River Song ever meet the Master? or Missy? that would've been exciting watching those two together
    Eleventh never met the Master, and River Song was only in one Christmas episode with Twelfth, so on the show no.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed almost everything about this special except the aliens. They were scary in that very existential way, but a little uninteresting. I was also really hoping the "multiple earths" was multiple realities, not multiple times, and thought that was what they were gonna pull with the steampunk stuff, but alas. Also, I don't really care what their excuse for bringing The Master back is. An earlier form, somehow they survived killing themselves, other *insert time-lord shenenigans here* I always enjoy the character.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I'd probably enjoy those episodes more if the official freaking BBC youtube channel as well as official Doctor Who Facebook page didn't spoil both Master and Gallifrey reveals before the episodes were even available in my country :/

Screw that, it's easier to torrent the show, than wait 2 weeks till it finally starts airing here :-|

Anyway - I did enjoy the start of the season, much better than previous one. Felt like a genuine Doctor Who adventure to me, even if I still believe there are too many companions and not enough Doctor in the episodes, but well... It's much better than last one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    Anyway - I did enjoy the start of the season, much better than previous one. Felt like a genuine Doctor Who adventure to me, even if I still believe there are too many companions and not enough Doctor in the episodes, but well... It's much better than last one.
    I was actually really hoping they killed Yaz in that scene. Nothing against her character, but I agree there are too many companions. I thought killing a companion right in the beginning would be a good and bold move for the series. We could have a series-long side plot of trying to find them, or of Ryan trying to be a better more capable person and also cut down on the number of companions.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Eleventh never met the Master, and River Song was only in one Christmas episode with Twelfth, so on the show no.
    For TV canon. Maybe in the books and audio?
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Lore really hasn't been this messy. It's just never been messy on this massive of a scale. Ironically, the closest it ever got to being that messy was the second-to-final season when they blew up Skaro... which got retconned later.

How many times did Gallifrey get destroyed in Classic? Never - because the storyline stakes never needed that kind of shit.

This is, what, Number 2... discounting all the other times when Time Lords became pseudo villains, a half-assed Rassilon created, ect? Sure makes that 50th anniversary episode feel fantastic now, dunnit!? >_<
    Actually, number 3 if you count the BBC books.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

I’m just going to leave this steaming turd here and walk away. This is why you never try to please these people, you end up with a horrible product and they still complain. It’s a complete waste of time.

Too Woke? Nope - Doctor Who is more offensive than ever

It’s gonna be a long two more seasons until we can get rid of these two...

Quote Originally Posted by Fabray View Post
    I’m just going to leave this steaming turd here and walk away. This is why you never try to please these people, you end up with a horrible product and they still complain. It’s a complete waste of time.

Too Woke? Nope - Doctor Who is more offensive than ever

It’s gonna be a long two more seasons until we can get rid of these two...
    Politics is constantly shifting ground. What is OK one year is offensive and obsolete the next. Or month. That makes it impossible to keep up. A TV show is always going to lag behind and look dated. That's generally why you can't win when you inject politics into it. The only way to really do it is if it was broadcast live on stage.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.