Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Glory of the Cataclysm Hero Guide

I'd like to go through how my group and I received our Volcanic Stones Drakes. The biggest tip for all of these achieves is interrupt as much as possible, avoid as much damage as possible and any class which can help cleanse, dispell or decurse please do so. I'll go through each dungeon at a time.

My group was made up of :
    Prot Warrior
    Ret/Prot Paladin
    Marks/Surv Hunter
    Fire/Frost Mage
    Holy Paladin (me)

Blackrock Caverns
    - Crushing Bones and Cracking Skulls
    A simple enough achievement. We waited for enough spawns of adds, for memory it's two packs. He does his Skullcrusher ability at 66% and 33% so you can kill the adds during either of those times. Avoid any AoE abilities so you can be sure you've got all 10 of the adds alive.

- Arrested Development
    I found this one to be really healing intensive. Everyone needs to avoid as much damage as possible because the tank will be taking a lot! We had our Hunter on the left beam and our Mage on the right. To avoid getting mind-controlled, every 80 stacks they stepped out of the beam, waited for the debuff to run out and then step back in. We left the middle add to evolve first and used all dps cooldowns on him. The tank needs to manage their cooldowns well and communicate with the healer so they know when they're about to drop off. Interrupts are essential as if a fear gets off on the healer it's generally a wipe. Each add casts Shadow Strike straight after they have evolved which also needs to be interrupted. After the first add is down, let the second add evolve. This is when we blew Time Warp so by the time we were ready for the third add our DPS cooldowns were up again.

- Too Hot To Handle
    We originally thought Steelbender had to be killed on 15 stacks of Superheated Quicksilver Armour to get the achieve, but this is not the case. He just needs to get up to 15 stacks during the fight, and then they can drop off and you can kill him. This should be a lot easier to heal as the debuff now lasts 17 seconds instead of 12. It's best to take 2-3 at a time and let the healer heal everyone up before you go in again.

- Ascendant Descending
    We had our Mage spec Frost for this and kite the adds around during this fight while our hunter put down frost traps and DPS'd the boss. Just remember the boss will swap places with one of the adds so don't kite the adds too far away and the tank needs to be ready to pick the boss up asap.

Throne of Tides
    - Old Faithful
    An easy achievement here. We CC'd the two caster adds as normal and killed the melee first, then killed one of the casters. The geysers spawn on a random party member so we stacked with the add and got her to around 10-15%. When you see the geyser spawn on the ground, everyone runs out and the add dies. Remember to stay out of the water tornados Lady Naz'jar sends out during that phase too.

- Prince of Tides
    We got our tank to pick up the Unyeilding Behemoth and killed everything else as normal. In phase two our tank kited the Behemoth as well as the other adds. Once we got the buff in phase three we killed the Behemoth straight away and then switched to the boss. Be aware that it seems only 1 Unyeilding Behemoth spawns so don't kill the first one and expect another to come out like we did.

Vortex Pinnacle
    - Extra Credit Level
    Probably the easiest achieve in the list. As you make your way through the instance keep an eye out for floating golden orbs. When you hover your cursor over the orbs you need to collect it will come up with the loot icon. Sometimes you'll have to jump off the edges to reach them. You'll know how many you have collected as it comes up on the top of your screen.

- No Static at All
    We all thought this was going to be horrible, seeing how we had Australia and New Zealand pings. However we eventually found that you can just spam jump and it works. Asaad casts the static straight after chain lightening so as soon as we saw chain lightening being cast we all started jumping. As a healer I put Asaad on Focus so I could see when he was casting each spell. If you wanted to be even more cautious you could just jump throughout the entire encounter as healing is incredibly easy during this fight (so long as people spread out for the chain lightening) so it doesn't really matter how long it takes, but the quicker you kill him the less chance you have to fail.

Lost City of Tol'vir
    - Kill It With Fire
    This achieve is moderately difficult. During phase two the DPS and I stood between the pheonix and the fire trail he leaves on the ground. When an add spawns, just wait until it has walked through the fire and double check he has the Burning Soul debuff on him and kill him. Do that twice more, then kill the boss and you have your achievement. Please remember to stay out of all solar beams and as soon as you come out of phase 2 make sure your tank hits a cooldown. Makes it 10x easier for your healer. Also if there are any other classes which can cure disease please help your healer out and do so during this fight.

- Acrocalypse Now
    Another moderately difficult achieve. Each wave only has four crocs spawn so you need to wait for five waves before killing them. We used two tanks for this. One tanking the boss and the other tanking the waves of crocs. The other two DPS and I stood on the ledges behind the boss where the crocodile statues are. I put on Righteous Fury and healed the tank as much as I could, this made a lot of the crocs agro on me but they can't attack me while I was on the ledge. The croc tank will be taking a lot of damage so make sure you keep all cooldowns ready for the last wave or so to stay alive. Once we had all the crocs up, we used ring of frost and the DPS killed them asap. We wiped but got the achieve which is what counts!

- Headed South
    The hardest achieve in Glory to the Cata Hero. At the moment you cannot do this for all party members. The best way to do it is 2-3 members at a time, the damage is just too intense for any healer to keep up while trying to get it for all your party.
    Ranged DPS - Your job is to kill the ranged minion adds and get straight back onto the boss to get him down as much as possible with his shield on. Try to get the ranged minions to die around the edge of the platform as they drop the green storm on the ground when they are killed.
    Melee DPS - Stay on the boss and get him down as much as possible with his shield on. We had our tank call our Ret Pally over to get the melee adds to about 50% health and then he went straight back to the boss.
    Tank - Kite the melee adds and mark a kill order for them. You should kill the last of the three melee adds first which puts the fight into phase two, so mark accordingly. We put Circle on the first add, Cross on the second and Skull on the third.

Decide who you are getting the achievement for. Once decided those people have to stack on the Skull when it dies to get the debuff. After Skull dies it will go into phase two and will get thrown around the room. Once that finishes, those going for the achievement need to head straight under Cross and kill him so your debuff doesn't wear off. Once Cross dies we blew Time Warp and got the boss down as much as possible, then about 8 seconds before the debuff ran out, those people getting the achievement stack on Circle to get the third debuff, kill Circle and then back on the boss. If you don't have three stacks of the debuff you won't get the achievement, so you must make sure you are standing under each marked add when they die.

There's not a lot of room for error here. We get the adds down to 50% in phase one to make it quicker to kill them while the pressure is on. There's no point in keeping the fight in phase one for a long time either as the green swirling storms from the ranged minions flood over the platform making them impossible to avoid.
    This requires the most time, patience and co-ordination. And be nice to the rest of your group, go back and get the achieve for those who missed out the first time!

Halls of Origination
    - I Hate That Song
    We had our Ret Pally go Prot and pick up all the snakes on the ground so they had no chance of interrupting the switch clickers, then just before Anhuur cast his hymn our Hunter and Mage jumped down and was in position to click the switches with our Prot Warrior ready to interrupt. The second time the hymn was cast I jumped down and helped heal everyone on the way back up. Very easy with two tanks.

- Straw That Broke the Camel's Back
    Very easy achievement. Simply fight the boss while on one of the camels which are just before the boss. I'm pretty sure this has been fixed but we had to melee the boss a little bit while on the camel to get the achievement. So if you don't get it while just being on the camel, next time melee the boss and you should get it.

- Sun of A...
    The trick to this is to interupt as many of Rajh's abilites so he doesn't use his energy and you get more dps time on him before he recharges. He walks to the centre of the room when he recharges so we tanked him in one of the corners of the room to allow for maximum DPS time. Once he starts walking to the centre we blew Time Warp and all cooldowns get him down asap. We also used all consumables just to make doubley sure we'd get it.

- Faster Than the Speed of Light
    We also used consumables for this achievement as well. You only get one shot per lockout for this, so we wanted to make sure we did it right! The only thing to do here is to minimise the amount of troggs you agro while moving to each boss, otherwise it's just a DPS race and should be done as normal moving to each boss carefully and quickly.

Grim Batol
    - Umbrage For Umbriss
    We CC'd the first Malignant Trogg and continued to kill the boss and other Troggs as normal. Once we got Umbriss low enough, the tank taunted the CC'd Trogg and killed it which gives Umbriss the needed buff. You then have 20 seconds to kill Umbriss and he'll hit 50% harder so pop cooldowns to ensure no one dies.

- Don't Need to Break Eggs to Make an Omelette
    This was our first heroic we did and got this achievement without actually going for it. Stunning doesn't work on the adds but all forms of slowing does. We had our Hunter frost trap and our Mage blastwave to slow them down while we put as much DPS on them as possible. You cannot let the adds start casting onto the eggs or the achievement has been failed. A Druid's roots and a DK's chains of ice etc are great too.

The Deadmines
    - Ready for Raiding
    Another one of those achieves you don't actually need to go for, you should get it anyway. Stay away from the fire wall and avoid the icicles. These are clearly marked on the ground so there's no excuses to not get this.

- Rat Pack
    Easy to get and you don't have to get it in one go. When we decided to do the achievement, all of us had already killed 10-13. Each time the Oaf does his charge it spawns rats on the ground that you have to kill.

- Prototype Prodigy
    Another easy one. Whoever is controlling the Reaper, stay down on the ground floor and stun the adds. We then take the boss up the ramp and kill him there, far away from the Reaper so it doesn't take any damage. Remember to stay on the ramp and not at the very top which is flat, LoS can become an issue.

- It's Frost Damage
    This can be annoying but luckily only one person in your group needs to survive to get the achievement for everyone in the party. Do not DPS the Vapors and allow them to cast Coalesce. It hits extremely hard so try to keep cooldowns for the second or the last one to try to stay alive. You can use LoS to help keep out of damage but it can be difficult. We had our Mage iceblock at the perfect time which got us the achievement.

- I'm On A Diet
    Don't eat the green meat! It's as easy as that. You can eat one piece but not another one until the debuff on you has worn off, it lasts about 24 seconds.

- Vigorous VanCleef Vindicator
    Probably the second hardest achievement in the list as you only get one shot per lockout. I have heard that you can wait half an hour and try again once the note respawns, but we just left it for the next day. We all used consumables to help out as well.

When you first enter the nightmare, you need to check where the exit door is and jump off the ramp and run there as quickly as possible before the fire erupts. Once everyone is there you need to keep out of the ice dropping from the roof, this is the hard for melee but if you need to stop dpsing to get out of it, then do it. It hits hard! It's better having you alive than dead and having to run back. Saying that you can still do the achievement if someone does die, they just need to teleport to the correct place.
    Once you're at the next part, the lightening lines, you need to do this calmly and quickly. Don't rush in ahead as you'll most likely die. There is a 'safe point' on the left before the last two lines which is where we killed the boss.
    The next part with the worgens is a DPS race. DPS go nuts and the healer makes sure each victim stays alive. When you're on the last pack and about to kill the last mob, let the healer know and they will run up and stand right where Vanessa spawns. Doing this ensures max DPS is on the adds and as soon as the last add dies, Vanessa spawns and you're already there waiting.

The Stonecore
    - Rotton to the Core
    We had our tank engage the Azil without killing any of the disciples standing in front of her. Once engaged, the Tank used cooldowns and we AoE'd all the disciples. Ring of frost also helped contain them.

Shadowfang Keep
    - Pardoned Denied
    This is mostly a healer fight, although interupts are the most important. We had our Tank interupting Pain and Suffering, our Ret Pally interrupting Stay of Execution (which is the heal that cannot go off) and our Mage interupting Mend Flesh. After the Baron does his AoE channel, Asphyxiate which leaves everyone on less than 5% health you'll need to get everyone up to say 35k hp, keep them there so you're not wasting excess mana, try to keep the tank topped off however. Also straight after the Asphyxiate is when he starts casting his AoE heal Stay of Execution. Wait until you see him casting it before you interrupt it. If one tick of the heal gets off the achievement has been failed.
    To ease the healing we had two Holy Radiences and I made sure I had 3 Holy Power before Asphyxiate for Light of Dawn straight after. I also had one of the DPS let me know when he was about to go into his Archangel Form which does an AoE tick for 5k. I popped all cooldowns I had and tried to keep everyone topped off until he dies.

- To the Ground!
    Not terribly difficult. We did this in the boss room, with a hunter trap on one side to slow the add down and we stunned and killed the add coming from the other side. Rinse and repeat.

- Bullet Time
    We used the stairs to help us out on this achievement. The ranged DPS and healer stood up the stairs which lead into the boss room and have the tank at the bottom of the stairs. Our tank was able to face the Pistol Barrage ability so it went along the bottom of the stairs so any ghouls who walked passed would be killed. It takes a while to do this so be patient. We had our Ret Pally manually counting how many he saw die, then added an extra couple so we would definitely get the achievement.

I'm sure there would be other ways of doing these achievements, I'm just going by what we did. I hope this helps you getting your Volcanic Stone Drake!

Good Luck!

PS. I have a two screenshots of the drakes but I am unable to link them as I'm a new user.

Thanks
    Last edited by Nokkles; 2010-12-28 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Adjusting and Spelling

Deleted
    cheers for this helpful gide