Thread: Hunter Damage

Hunter Damage

Not a QQ post. I could care less who is beating me in the meters in heroics/raids. The more dps someone in my group does the faster the fight ends.

What this post is, is just a question.

Why is Hunter damage (Survival in particular) so high? What change happened from Wrath to make it this potent (in PvE). I've seen nobody come close to the damage potential (granted i've only seen heroics and Baradin Hold DPS) to that of a Survival Hunter. I messed around with a Hunter in Wrath, so i know a little about them, but i stopped keeping up with the changes that happened over beta, and i can't even begin to figure this out.

Cobra shot and shot scaling happened. We were at the middle, struggling, after patch 4.0.1 in wrath. Our scaling from 80-85 "fixed" it though, we now scale so well with attackpower that its freaking insane.

Because they are so bad at PvP right now that blizzard had to make sure an entire class didn't quit the game?

They buffed the damage on a lot of the shots when they changed their resource from mana to focus, because focus is a finite resource so they could balance the damage around how much of the resource they had.

Also, Hunter damage isn't as great as non-Hunters try to claim. My main is an Arms Warrior and we do ten mans and our Rogue and Mage are always within 1K of the Hunter. I'm usually pulling up the rear on DPS(which doesn't bother me at all; I don't know why other people are so worried about what other classes do all the time. If your guild won't let you raid because you're not a flavor of the month class then you really need a new guild) and even being last or second to last on DPS I'm only 2.5K behind the Hunter. You just either don't group with other high damage classes or the ones you do group with are bad.

Survival Hunters are like the Arcane Mages of Cataclysm. Not quite as facerolling as Arcane was, having to watch Lock and Load procs and whatever, but it's not so much that they're the highest damage class. It's that they're the EASIEST to do that damage with.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    They buffed the damage on a lot of the shots when they changed their resource from mana to focus, because focus is a finite resource so they could balance the damage around how much of the resource they had.

Also, Hunter damage isn't as great as non-Hunters try to claim. My main is an Arms Warrior and we do ten mans and our Rogue and Mage are always within 1K of the Hunter. I'm usually pulling up the rear on DPS(which doesn't bother me at all; I don't know why other people are so worried about what other classes do all the time. If your guild won't let you raid because you're not a flavor of the month class then you really need a new guild) and even being last or second to last on DPS I'm only 2.5K behind the Hunter. You just either don't group with other high damage classes or the ones you do group with are bad.

Survival Hunters are like the Arcane Mages of Cataclysm. Not quite as facerolling as Arcane was, having to watch Lock and Load procs and whatever, but it's not so much that they're the highest damage class. It's that they're the EASIEST to do that damage with.
    In Baradin Hold, the Hunter was at 16k the next highest was a fire mage (me) at 12k. But thanks for the answers guys, so it's all just a scaling issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vutar View Post
    Because they are so bad at PvP right now that blizzard had to make sure an entire class didn't quit the game?
    This, PvP is in a horrid place for us right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Karshda View Post
    In Baradin Hold, the Hunter was at 16k the next highest was a fire mage (me) at 12k. But thanks for the answers guys, so it's all just a scaling issue.
    Just because your gap was that large doesn't mean that's the normal, however. That's actually extremely low for both of those classes in a raid setting.

Deleted
    Hunters are probably the top damage right now, but as other people have said before, most other classes are always near hunters on the dps meters, there is always a class thats a little bit better in damage than others, thats how its always been. also quite nice because PvP is shit for hunters so let them have their PvE dps to be a little bit higher than others

also the hunters that are playing right now are almost always good players, most nub hunters rerolled because of focus.
    Last edited by mmocc0cd18ad5c; 2010-12-26 at 01:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    In naxx it was the same way hunters 'seem' to have really high damage. Then blizzard nerfs if and once other classes get better gear blizzard will say we thought hunter's were to low.

We seem to scale the best with entry level gear and drop off after. Hopefully some of the shot changes will fix that.
    If only i could learn to be sneaky like the damn Fel Reavers

Deleted
    As other ppl have posten, if blizzard would "fix" our dmg to the same level as everyone else, my guess would be that 90% of all current hunters would just reroll because of the horrid possition in PVP. Why play a hunter that does the same dps as everyone else, and then suck horribly in PVP.