Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    My heroic group has not really been too bothered about getting achievements yet, but having a place with some tips for them all has given us the push we have needed, especially since it is getting updated with some good suggestions from this thread.

IMHO The best guide of this competition I have seen yet, gz on your drake and your new riding turtle

There's no need to "exploit" the last achievement in DM HC, you can just have a high dps and do it the intended way.

Quote Originally Posted by skrog View Post
    Repply to the "I Hate That Song" part:
    Difficulty: 1
    Tactic: Make the tank gather the snakes up before the fight, and dont kill any of them during the fight, because they only respawn if you kill them. You don't kill them, therefore none of them respawns downstairs.
    Keep 2 player at each side of the area, and when the boss goes middle to cast it, jump down, and be ready to use the levers.
    Already in the guide, see the quote in the Edit section.

---------- Post added 2011-01-03 at 09:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kultahari View Post
    I found a glitch for Vigorous VanCleef Vindicator. Once Foe Reaper dies during the laser beam phase, allow the NPC being attacked to die. This will cause everyone in your party to wipe. Everyone should run back in and portal to the ship. It is there where one must mount up and charge Vanessa.

This tactic bypasses the entire boat phase.
    If you read the guide you would have seen that glitch explained.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    For the first achievement in the guide, Crushing Bones and Cracking Skulls, you are wrong. You don't need any of those classes. You don't need to have the tank eat the attack otherwise. It is exceedingly simple for the tank to position himself so that he is outside the range of the bosses AOE yet the adds are not. Seriously man, this is obvious to anyone that even read the boss' abilities and thought about the achievement. It's how I did it.

---------- Post added 2011-01-03 at 12:36 AM ----------

Wow, sorry to whoever wrote this guide as this is going to sound rude but the second achievement, Arrested Development, why didn't you mention that the tank can break a beam? Doesn't matter if you have melee or ranged. It's very easy to break the beam as a tank. I do it every time. It doesn't matter if the tank is standing near the evolved add or not because, I don't know if you know this or not because it seems like you don't, Taunt doesn't have to be in melee range anymore. In fact, this change was made years ago. Taunt can be applied from range. Shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    For the first achievement in the guide, Crushing Bones and Cracking Skulls, you are wrong. You don't need any of those classes. You don't need to have the tank eat the attack otherwise. It is exceedingly simple for the tank to position himself so that he is outside the range of the bosses AOE yet the adds are not. Seriously man, this is obvious to anyone that even read the boss' abilities and thought about the achievement. It's how I did it.
    You are a bit aggressive in your corrections but I'll ignore that for now...
    For Crushing Bones and Cracking Skulls yes, you are correct, a tank can position himself out of range while the adds are still in range. However while "exceedingly simple" may apply to a tank of your skill, not everyone has such intuitive distinction of the range of the AoE. Some tanks aren't that confidant and if they miss-judged, the group could be stuck with adds for an entire rotation more, which if you are undergeared could be quite heavy on the healer when combined with the new adds. I would argue it is "exceedingly simple" for the tank to just take the hit, it doesn't hit that hard and every tank has cooldowns - this way the adds are guaranteed to die. But each is unto his own and I stick by my original post.

Wow, sorry to whoever wrote this guide as this is going to sound rude but the second achievement, Arrested Development, why didn't you mention that the tank can break a beam? Doesn't matter if you have melee or ranged. It's very easy to break the beam as a tank. I do it every time.
    Yes, your post is going to sound rude if it blatantly is, you don't need to be and it's quite clear you are trying.
    I didn't mention the tank can break a beam for a few reasons the main being: Tank movement - and I know if you reply you will say you skillfully strafed in a circular motion to avoid the beam without moving the add - isn't advisable in any fight, normally the aim is to try and reduce tank/target movement. I'm assuming from your attitude that you are, or at-least believe you are, gods gift to tanking - however the majority of tanks who use this guide aren't quite as skilled and may get hit from behind while moving - or may pull the add/boss out of range of a DPS who isn't quite on the ball, causing them to miss an interrupt.
    Tank movement is adding a very much unnecessary variable and it would be simpler to just have ranged or melee DPS to take this. But again, this is my opinion and you are free to do the fight as you see fit.

It doesn't matter if the tank is standing near the evolved add or not because, I don't know if you know this or not because it seems like you don't, Taunt doesn't have to be in melee range anymore. In fact, this change was made years ago. Taunt can be applied from range. Shocking
    Sorry, this is a miss-communication. I know Taunt is a ranged ability, thank-you for your concern and the condescending manor in which you conveyed it.
    My reasoning for melee positioning is that after taunting, if the add isn't in melee range, it has to cover ground to get within attacking range of the Tank.
    During this time, ranged DPS may open up and over-take the Tank in agro, causing the add to turn around and go for the DPS. As you have just taunted, taunt is on cooldown and the mob is running further out of range.
    While this may never happen to you SilkforCalde - others may not be as lucky and a DPS may get hit before the Tank gets agro again, so it is generally safer to be in melee range ready to build agro after taunting just in-case something goes wrong.

Overall you had some valid points but your post could have been written in a much calmer, friendly way. Aggression for aggressions sake is pointless and gains nothing. If you are trolling, fair enough - well done, +1 internets to you...

10+ Year Old Account
    @SilkforCalde

Just a gentle reminder: If you find yourself using the phrase, "sorry, but --", then you may need to go back and see if you can't make some changes. ;)
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

Deleted
    I'd like to raise a note on the "Sun of a" Achievement.
    It is apparently important to make sure he doesn't finish a single cast so he doesn't run out of focus? You don't particularly need 2 interrupts though. I have found first-hand that a glyphed kick recharges fast enough to interrupt every single Sun Orb or Leap cast he makes. As long as you interrupt it that is.

Our raw dps output wasn't quite enough, but he didn't get a single cast done on my watch. We'll get that achievement next time.

Deleted
    Worth pointing out that the crocodiles for Acrocalypse Now on the Lockmaw fight can now swim! The achievement has to be done out of the water.

Deleted
    yeah..it has been changed

Lost City of the Tol'vir

* Lockmaw's Frenzied Crocolisks have learned how to swim! In addition, Vicious Poison was doing too much damage and has been reduced slightly.
    Last edited by mmoc53f27fd4cf; 2011-01-04 at 01:12 PM.

Deleted
    Great guide!

Very nice guide, well earned win, bookmarked for future reference!

And SilkforCalde, anger management really sounds like your cup of tea.

Deleted
    pro guide i am now following your tips and doing them just having a prob with jumping and timing it on last boss VP

Deleted
    Very good guide, l'm only 2 achievs from the drake now, your guide helped me and party alot

Deleted
    Awesome guide! Helped me a lot in the search of the achievement. One more achievement to go now

Stood in the Fire PromiscuousPenguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue54 View Post
    yeah..it has been changed
    We just had everyone but the tank stand on top of the crocolisk statues right behind the boss. You can position yourself there without engaging the boss too. Then we just dps'd the boss slowly while waiting for 20 crocolisk to stack up and then just blew them up. The tank takes a bit of a beating but it still remained very easy.

A note on I'm on a Diet...easiest way ever and I'm surprised no one has come up with it yet....Don't click on anything. Makes the fight a bit longer, but if you have hero/good dps, it's not an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raecatta View Post
    A note on I'm on a Diet...easiest way ever and I'm surprised no one has come up with it yet....Don't click on anything. Makes the fight a bit longer, but if you have hero/good dps, it's not an issue.
    As a healer, I can tell you why: AoE damage.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

Great guide.

I have every achievement except "Headed South". Definitely a challenge and my friends arent really too interested in helping me out. /sigh

Very helpful guide, btw, thanks....certainly saved time for my group in quite a few places.

Anyways,did the vast majority of these with my guild in the past couple of weeks, and I can say a lot of these can be made easier through creative use of the hunter class...so if you are looking to do these and don't have the ideal comp, it might help.

For Arrested Development, if you have a hunter, you don't need two tanks or two healers or even all epics....have the hunter's tenacity pet tank the boss and have your tank only pick up the adds....this helps alleviate the damage a shit-ton and the hunter can easily keep the pet alive themself by keeping mend pet up 100% of the time (though both glyph of mend pet and glyph of misdirect are pretty much required).

Second, for "To the Ground", have everyone but the hunter take the boss to the courtyard asap. The hunter traps one add on the pull and either have the tenacity pet go right for the other add if there is no CC or have someone else CC it for a smooth start. Same two glyphs help here. Pew pew whatever adds you can't cc to alleviate pet damage but make sure you MD all new adds onto the pet and keep mend pet up. The rest of your group will need to be able to kill the boss relatively quickly as the hunter will start to get overwhelmed after a couple minutes as the pet will start to take lots of damage etc etc. Even if the hunter dies early it still takes time for the ads to get to the boss. We one shotted it with this strat. And no, you don't need to be BM or anything special.

Just wanted to say thank you for this guide!
    Just got my drake last night, and this guide (along with a few others) helped so much.