Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Amazing job mate! It is unbelievable that this guide didn't make it into the top 20. You should try and post this on the official forums,if such things are allowed.

In the meantime ill be linking this to all my guildies in the hope that it will enrich their experience of Warcraft. Its sad that a sizeable amount of the player base these days dont know the slightest thing about the Lore that makes up the Warcraft universe,nor do they care. A guide like this can only help the situation though.

Anyways,cheers again for the awesome guide =)

Just Amazing.........
    The Haakmizer...

good overview, a few mistakes (in your section on dwarves you mentioned that they emerged from uldum and named their surroundings khaz modan, this is incorrect as uldum is located in southern kalimdor, not eastern kingdoms where khaz modan lies. the earthen were actually held within ulduar and uldaman, while the tol'vir safeguarded the region, (not a city!) of uldum) here and there but pretty much spot on (on a general basis),

writing style was very poor however and many sentences simply did not make sense. good effort though and it's nice to see other people enjoying the lore.

Deleted
    Awesome, Ive been trying to figure the lore before WC3 for a long time and now I know it all :P

This is truly a great summary, thank you! One point of lore I've always found interesting is that, when Aegwynn sealed Sargaras in his tomb, she warded it against all races on Azeroth; none of the races could open the tomb. This is what motivated Sargaras to bring the Orcs to Azeroth; they were immune to her ward!

Off Topic: Wall of text crits for 1,000,000,000.

On Topic: Very nice, i do like indeed. Thumbs up to you my good Sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karosene View Post
    I'm fairly certain we haven't killed any of the Old Gods, we just sort of poke them in the eye and make them go back into hiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very excellent lore guide, a few things though:

-You said Dalaran was North East of Strom, when it is in fact North West.

- The Dwarves had awoken before when you stated. Dwarves were not just awakening when Medivh had awoken, the Dwarves had ties with the humans far before the birth of Medivh
    Quote Originally Posted by mahpewpew View Post
    I refuse to give away my freedoms to be safe from decisions I make that affect myself.
    Good communities sometimes trump questionable staff.

I am aware sometimes I dont include apostrophes. My work keyboard is missing the button. Let it go.

one word: amazing

Don't let the "Red T-shirt kids" get you down. Nice summary, just ordered my first Warcraft book (Rise of the Horde) two days ago from Amazon so this was perfect timing.

Good work!

All of you people coddling this person's underwhelming effort is analogous to the American Pinchot for participatory trophies. Praising subpar work is counterproductive. Sure, this person summarized Warcraft lore very well. But, all that entails is a series of copy+pasting efforts off of Blizzard's website. The hardest part of this effort is collecting pictures; that does absolutely nothing from a guide-perspective. To make this a worthwhile read as far as a "guide" is concerned, we would need some way for a person to approach this document with a specific need and in turn that person be able to easily come to the information.
    Such as, I have no idea where the Dwarfs came from in Warcraft, so I come to this guide. I am stuck doing a text match through “control + f” to find the information, or I have to read the whole document. I've wasted all my time because in this example I only wanted to know about Dwarfs. If this were a paper at the university level, you'd get an F despite its contents being on point.

---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 09:29 AM ----------

Pinchot is my bosses name, stupid auto correct... I meant penchant...

No one here is saying that this is the most well written, complete or best formatted bit of writing. We're simply showing appreciation for what he did for the community. It was an interesting bit of reading for a lore nub like myself, despite the few technical and grammatical errors.
    If it makes you feel better about yourself to come crap in someone else's thread, have fun. You smell like a troll anyway...

Send from my phone while taking a dump, excuse any typos.

Quote Originally Posted by unimpressive View Post
    All of you people coddling this person's underwhelming effort is analogous to the American Pinchot for participatory trophies. Praising subpar work is counterproductive. Sure, this person summarized Warcraft lore very well. But, all that entails is a series of copy+pasting efforts off of Blizzard's website. The hardest part of this effort is collecting pictures; that does absolutely nothing from a guide-perspective. To make this a worthwhile read as far as a "guide" is concerned, we would need some way for a person to approach this document with a specific need and in turn that person be able to easily come to the information.
    Such as, I have no idea where the Dwarfs came from in Warcraft, so I come to this guide. I am stuck doing a text match through “control + f” to find the information, or I have to read the whole document. I've wasted all my time because in this example I only wanted to know about Dwarfs. If this were a paper at the university level, you'd get an F despite its contents being on point.

---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 09:29 AM ----------

Pinchot is my bosses name, stupid auto correct... I meant penchant...
    Jesus we get it ok. Your first post and your name alone shows that you're not impressed with this guys work,no need to attack the other people,including myself,who think he did an admirable job.Sure,its not perfect,but he obviously put some work into it. Enough work that he deserves some cudos or "coddling" as you so cynically put it.

Also,why you felt the need to take a swipe at Americans with your "participatory trophies" comment is beyond me. It leads me to believe that you are either attempting to troll or are just a mean spirited person with an axe to grind.

This was awesome!!

I've always had trouble understanding the lore/timeline of Warcraft, but I think I may even go buy some of the books now!

Deleted

as*****

I think you did so poorly because you didn't compose this in a very "guide-like" manner. You have a summary of World of Warcraft. If you want it to reflect a guide, your first improvement would be to structure it like a book and not some cheap blog. A table of contents would be my first clue. Nice try, though.
    I cant believe this...this guy worked hard to make this for all of us ''noobs'' which never played Warcraft I,II.And all you can say is ''Nice try,though'' go to hell you and your stupid comments are not welcome here....!!!

And everyone who have stupid comments or comments that insult this persons writing style or even copy pasting style can go F*** OFF!

If you took a moment to read what I posted, you might realize I provided some constructive criticism for what I assume is a developing mind; "tough love" or whatever you want to call it. I acknowledged this individual is on point with their information. Anyone taking offense to the comment about coddling or Americans obviously has some inside experience on being given credit when credit isn't due. Get over it, you got beat by other people. You can lick your wounds and cry about how the big mean forum troll told you it wasn't good or you can step back and observe your efforts and see how to improve upon them. Now, if this author is an adult then they deserve much more ridicule, and should know better than to try to re-invent an article that is already on the internet. Take a few moments to search the internet and you find Lore guides much more deserving of our praise than this effort.

Deleted
    The text is too small for me to read.

Fantastic guide, but theres a problem: a guide should be easy to read. A wall of text with images dotting around and inside, altogether formatted as a huge image is enough to drive people off before they even start reading. Opening your huge images on my tiny 1280x900 laptop screen is truly a PITA. I would recommend you reformat your guide to a more forum-friendly form.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampsuuna View Post
    The text is too small for me to read.
    Hold down "control" and scroll with your mouse wheel. Enjoy the larger text.

Deleted
    Hold down "control" and scroll with your mouse wheel. Enjoy the larger text.
    Im a datanome, i knew that all along. ""

There are a few spelling errors and a couple of typos at the end there.
    A few of you also pointed out some errors on my part:
    ---Dalaran was in fact North West of Strom. that point is moot now that its in Northrend, but still an error nonetheless.
    ---The Dwarves emerged form Uldaman, not Uldum as I posted.
    thanks for pointing these out to me

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 02:07 PM ----------

Also, I started this long before The Guide contest was announced. I took a very long time pouring through the long and drawn-out lore story to try and gleam as much information form it as possible in the shortest of forms. True, its not very 'guidey' but thats because I wasn't going to change my format for the contest when I had already done most of the work. Sure, there was some copy and paste, but this was by no means easy to do. It was not easy to cram so much lore so tightly together. I may have missed a few important details because they didn't forward the story. This is for people who dont know anything of the lore, or are unsure of what they know. If you want more information on anything in this guide, go to Wowpedia.org.