Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Silithus Quarry New Battleground Ideas

Many of the suggestions on this board have been for new character classes, but there has hardly been any suggestions for other aspects of the game (apart from complete expansion sets). As I mainly play WoW for the PvP aspect of the game, it’s logical for me to come up with a new battleground, rather than coming up with new dungeons or raids.

Every expansion, new battleground show their faces. At first, in vanilla, we had Alterac Valley, Arathi Basin and Warsong Gulch. With TBC came Eye of the Storm, which roughly could be considered a mix of Arathi Basin and Warsong Gulch. The Lich King came, and brought us Strand of the Ancients, and Isle of Conquest. The second would appear to be pretty much a mix of Arathi Basin and Alterac Valley. In Cataclysm, we received two ‘new’ battlegrounds. We got Twin Peaks, and the Battle for Gilneas. These two are pretty much reskins of two of the original battlegrounds, Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin, respectively.
    In essence, we have four battlegrounds with truly original objectives: Warsong Gulch, Arathi Basin, Alterac Valley and Strand of the Ancients.

It’s time for a new, original, battleground.

I would like to present to you:

Why Silithus? I personally like battlegrounds that are based on a place in Azeroth. I never liked Eye of the Storm, Isle of Conquest and Strand of the Ancients, solely because they feel out of place for me, like they’re not a true part of Warcraft lore. I always felt like Isle of Conquest was created without any thought.
    Silithus has always been a world PvP zone, but it’s feeling awkwardly empty right now. You only need 19 quests to receive the questing achievement, to give you an idea how empty such a big zone is. Adding in a battleground could give the zone more flavor.
    Also, the zone comes with the ‘Silithyst’ ore, which could be used as part of the objective, as I’ll explain below.

What would the battleground look like?
    The battleground would be shaped somewhat like an oval or a rectangle, much like Warsong Gulch. Both the Alliance and the Horde have built a base at one of the sides – the Alliance at the top of the map, the Horde at the bottom.
    Most of the battleground will have the same kind of terrain as Silithus, only one of the side will be stylized like Un’Goro Crater. At the Un’Goro side of the map, harvestable wood can be found. At the other side of the map, Silithyst ore can be gathered. At both sides, a limited amount of nodes can be found.

Quick mock-up of the map.

What are the objectives of Silithyst Quarry?
    The main objective of this battleground is a big wink to the original Warcraft games. Gathering resources, creating an army and destroy your opponent. But hold your horses, people, you will not control this army. We have enough battlegrounds featuring vehicles, and it takes the PvP out of PvP in my opinion. You’re not the siege tank, destroying everything in his path – no, you’re the peon gathering resources.

So, how do you play?
    Both sides have to gather wood from the Un’Goro area, and Silithyst ore from the Silithyst area. Everyone is able to carry one resource at a time. Upon handing it in, the resource count for the resource handed in will increase by 50. When your faction’s resource count reaches 200 wood and 200 ore, a catapult will be built. These catapults will fire at the other faction’s base, slowly destroying it.
    Where is the PvP part, you ask? As both sides are aiming for the same resources, you’ll bump into the other faction quite a lot. Much like in Silithus, when you kill someone who’s carrying Silithyst or wood, the resource will be dropped on the floor, and can be picked up by everyone else. It can be a tactic not to gather yourself, but wait for the other faction, and steal the resource they were carrying.
    The catapults your faction creates cannot be controlled, they just fire in a set time. They can, however be destroyed by the opposing faction, trying to save their own base. That, however, can be a risky maneuver as the graveyard is very close to the catapults of the defending faction. A maximum of five catapults can be up at once.

Winning this battleground is achieved by balancing offense, defense and gathering resources. The faction destroying the other faction’s first, will be declared the winner.

Why would the Horde and Alliance decide to battle here?
    Let me put out a quote directly from the Orcs’ introduction video:
    With Durotar’s natural resources nearly depleted, Garrosh seeks to take whatever his people need to survive, regardless of who stands in his way.
    Much could be said for the Alliance, who have same issues, and are in dire need of new resources.
    Silithus Quarry is strategically located, near precious ore that can be used for vehicles and structures, while still near a tropical forest, where loads of wood could be harvested.

Q & A (or statements and replies, for that matter):

Q. This idea sucks.
    A. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but please, elaborate why you think it’s a bad idea.

Q. You suck.
    A. Thank you.

Q. What factions will winning give reputation to?
    A. There will be two new factions, representing the Horde’s and Alliance’s gathering forces.

Q. This looks too much like …
    A. If you mean that this idea is too close to other people’s ideas, let me tell you that most of the ideas in this thread come from my personal head. Also, to quote Gsusnme in the Warden thread:
    I have nothing to GAIN from "stealing" an idea, as I am not getting paid for this, it's simply for fun and the whole "What-If" factor.
    I would like to give credit to someone for giving me the base of this idea, but unfortunately, I forgot his name. It was some German guy, who posted his idea for a Warcraft-based battleground on the old official forums. I did, however, tweak all of it to fit my vision - his idea was very different from this one.

Q. What would appear at the top of your screen?
    A. Probably the current state of the bases, and the resources gathered. The amount of active catapults could be seen on your map.
    Last edited by Count Splatula; 2010-12-29 at 10:31 AM.
    New Class: Runemaster
    New Alliance Race: Furbolg
    New Horde Race: None yet.
    New Zones: None yet.
    New Battleground: Ruins of Eldre'Thalas, Silithus Quarry, Taurajo Fields, Sorrows Training Grounds
    New Dungeon: None yet.

Deleted
    Seems like a nice idea indeed some times I wish some from mmo-champion were devs...

Wasn't sure when I read the title, but I really like this idea.

Some will ofc find if boring, but its different from the rest of the current BGs.

AV used to have the resource element (might still be there, but noone uses it) and I loved doing that because it felt more like you were contriubting to a larger goal than just "kill [insert opposing faction here]".

Good work that man!

I would enjoy this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellorkleft View Post
    The Lich King tried that, too. Unfortunately, his doors had one weakness. And Tirion exploited that weakness.
    A Battering Ram.

Sounds like it could be a lot of fun, better than the 2 reskins we just got at least.

My only problem is the Silithus theme.... man I hate that place.

Sounds awesome.. I just got the urge to pvp

I rarely ever actually log into my account on mmo to post on a thread.

I love this idea.

Love
    it.

Blizz should see this

Deleted
    Looks like you put a lot of thought into this one, very nice.

Seems like it could be fun - as long as there aren't a million bugs throughout the BG like Silithus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I began to despise pvp during wrath, being as IoC and SotA were unoriginal and thus, boring.

This is awesome; an original idea that's well thought out. The concept of gathering things in order to bolster your offences/defenses reminds me of AV back in vanilla, where handing in armour scraps to improve troops actually made a viable difference. I'd actually begin to enjoy pvp again if there was something like this, it's about tactics, tactics. ^^

Shame blizzard don't surf this site, I wish they could see this.

Shinydemon(85) Kuricos(85) Akros(85) Seraphus(81) Ritsura(85) Anathama(85) Arelia(85) Aaurala(66) Solanáa(49) Myasma(60)

Deleted
    Brilliant idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the idea! Just lower the resource amount needed from 200 to maybe 100 or even 50, or make the BG 40 vs. 40, since otherwise it would take too long to even build 1 catapult with the factions nuking each other while everyone can carry just 1 resource.

If the idea was to make a BG to relive long BGs though, and if it was meant to be very long, then no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    Good fight Thrall, oh btw, your wife is pregnant. SURPRISE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migari View Post
    Anyone good at drawing? I suddendly want an awsome pic of a Night Elf battleing a Goblin in Silithus
    I suddenly want one too, but I'm no good at drawing either. But I suppose that'll give me something to attempt tonight. :P

Back on topic: what would the two main races be at either faction base? (like WSG had NE and Orcs) I can understand Night Elves for the alliance because they have strong ties with the area already. But what about Horde? Could be goblins like Migari said, could on the other hand be tauren (although the only tauren in the area seem to be cenarion so I'm not sure they'd attack the night elves).
    Then again: it could always have Dwarfs/Blood Elves, like an Explorer's League Vs. Relinquary thing; it seems to make sense being heavy archaeological mass to uncover there, with AQ and all.

Shinydemon(85) Kuricos(85) Akros(85) Seraphus(81) Ritsura(85) Anathama(85) Arelia(85) Aaurala(66) Solanáa(49) Myasma(60)

15+ Year Old Account
    Damn fine idea, too bad it'll never see the light of day.

Deleted
    You should definitely post this on the official forums aswel

Thank you all for replying!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadock View Post
    I love the idea! Just lower the resource amount needed from 200 to maybe 100 or even 50, or make the BG 40 vs. 40, since otherwise it would take too long to even build 1 catapult with the factions nuking each other while everyone can carry just 1 resource.

If the idea was to make a BG to relive long BGs though, and if it was meant to be very long, then no problem.
    I'm not too sure how it would be balanced properly, without making it too long to play.

It wasn't the idea to create a long BG (never been in one, not a vanilla player).

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Back on topic: what would the two main races be at either faction base? (like WSG had NE and Orcs) I can understand Night Elves for the alliance because they have strong ties with the area already. But what about Horde? Could be goblins like Migari said, could on the other hand be tauren (although the only tauren in the area seem to be cenarion so I'm not sure they'd attack the night elves).
    Then again: it could always have Dwarfs/Blood Elves, like an Explorer's League Vs. Relinquary thing; it seems to make sense being heavy archaeological mass to uncover there, with AQ and all.
    I reckon an Explorer's League vs Relinquary battleground would be nice, but the theme of Silithus Quarry is gathering resources.
    I do believe all the Night Elves is Silithus are Cenarion Circle. That being said, pretty much all of the NPCs currently in Silithus are Cenarion, thus neutral.
    This makes me believe that the battleground could be worked out in such a way that it's the two races that need the resources most. Or just plain Horde vs Alliance, thus having Orc and Human architecture.

Something other that might be nice is having the two tinker races, upon finding out what Silithyst can be used for, battling over it.
    There'd be Gnomes vs. Goblins.. Most people probably wouldn't like that, as their architecture isn't that nice, but I think the idea behind it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    You should definitely post this on the official forums aswel
    I've been thinking about doing that, but I'm Dutch, thus I would be stuck to the EU boards.
    Posting it there wouldn't be all that =/
    New Class: Runemaster
    New Alliance Race: Furbolg
    New Horde Race: None yet.
    New Zones: None yet.
    New Battleground: Ruins of Eldre'Thalas, Silithus Quarry, Taurajo Fields, Sorrows Training Grounds
    New Dungeon: None yet.

Deleted
    reminds me of the RTS game i like it

Deleted
    Awesome idea.

I'd like to point out that I think your concept is cool, but personally for me the Silithus area uncool. I dislike the swarm stuff, dislike to have sand like Tanaris and I've seen enough of Silithus back in the days when everyone was spawncamping eachother and raiding AQ.

Thumbs up for the idea, but I rather see it at a different location, but with the idea to collect supplies. But what about people who are not here to have to collect wood for 20 minutes? Have you tought about other strategic locations at the map? Perhaps some kind of workplace to increase wood gain by 1? So that you can carry 1 more supply everytime?
    Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.

Sounds a lot more interesting than the crap Bliz is thinking up these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    This idea might actually make me care about PvP even the slightest bit.

I like the idea of PvP to fuel your army as it breaks down the enemy's walls. Kind of reminds me of the old Aeon of Strife / DotA style maps from WC3, where your actions helped support a huge army of NPCs while you focused largely on the enemy heroes.

I also like the idea of it being Silithus with a bit of Un'goro crater - would make for nicely varied visuals.