Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Good guide, but I think the hunter CC you describe is a bit too simplistic and insinuates you should use trap launcher for every pull. CC'ing a melee target it's often better to place a trap at your own feet and use distracting shot as the tank moves in 1) it allows more time on the cd to tick 2) you know at least 1 mob isn't going to be broken by aoe or bad tabbing 3) it's easier to reapply cc on the correct target if it breaks 4) you have more time to reapply cc or md before it hits anyone 5) far greater chance of trapping the correct mob...downside is a small loss in dps at the start of the fight and it's potentially more troublesome for the tank to pick up if something goes wrong. Anyway, both ways have their merits, just wanted to highlight the options. It's also perhaps worth mentioning using one person to cc multiple mobs should be an option used only out of necessity, rather than as a starting tactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe you considered the warlock interrupt table according to the pet being a succubus, but in the case of the mobs not being humanoids, I think you should've added the Felhunter's Spell Lock to the interrupt table.

EDIT: Even Enslave Demon is an effective CC if a demon in the group is creating a big problem. In some cases, would be better than Banish.

EDIT 2: Last time I checked, Fear doesn't work on Dungeon Undead.
    Last edited by Shadock; 2011-01-09 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    Good fight Thrall, oh btw, your wife is pregnant. SURPRISE!!!

Decent guide, could deal with an additional section dealing with kiting as a form of CC.

As well you're missing turn evil, which is of use in heroic Shadowfang Keep.

In spite of these deficiencies however its a good starter guide for getting people acquainted with the idea of CC and how to use it.

Deleted
    Warlocks have a silencing effect btw, using the felhound. It's useful on the first boss in Halls of Originations. Everyone can jump down the pet stays up and silences.
    Fear does work on a few undead, notably the ones at the begining of SFK

You never mentioned anything about kiting as CC, there are bosses that need kiters, and even trash.
    Nice guide other than that. I never new you could keybind raid targets.
    Last edited by mmoc8dd661cb81; 2011-01-09 at 01:09 PM.

Deleted
    nice guide

Add on your interupt table: Solar Beam. It's the new balance druid interupt spell. (Also unglyphed typhoon, but I still have to meet the first tank that asks for that )

What about paladins turn undead? It works pretty well :<

As a raid leading tank, I will change those marks to what is required for the situation, and to keep players on their toes.
    Thanks, me too. I was in a heroic Ot'R the other day and I said "Aeaeae wielder, commence trepidation!". The poor fellow had no clue, by Eris. I think he will never get to raid LNE.

As for whether it is valid to talk about forms of CC only applicable to opening pulls? I think so. He clarified in the beginning that he would be focusing on interrupts and effective removal from combat, which is practically all you need for successful dungeon clearing. I'd be happy to send any guildy that needed a hand here (other than warlocks or hunters that'd try to CC undead). He skips concussive shot or hamstring kiting because that's largely superfluous to how most dungeon runs go. An explanation of PvP DRs would also be wholly wasted for an article designed for completing heroics... Perhaps it'd be worthwhile to change the title.

Intimidating Shout would never be used on a pull. Imagine the mayhem.
    You point out yourself that psychic scream can be used on pull if glyphed. Intimidating shout is functionally the same, with a longer cooldown.

He gives reasoning why he only discusses targeted CC such as intimidating shout above howl of terror as well.

Shadow priests have Psychic Horror.
    Which is a 3 second CC that'd rarely, if ever, be used on pull. Death coil deserves just as much of a mention.

When you blind a mob it cannot do anything for 10 seconds.
    But blind requires you be out of stealth to cast and thus would never be used on pull. It'd be worth noting that if in dire need a rogue could blind at the end of sap, vanish -> cheap shot, then dismantle, wait, evasion, or cloak of shadows if the tank is still unable to pick up the mob.

They might also use smoke bomb on pull in order to force casters/hunter mobs into the tanks LoS.

rara I'll never gimp my dps to interrupt
    You wouldn't let a rogue, DK or warrior use that excuse, would you?

'ring of frost'... “have everyone do thier CC and find a good LOS point”
    Along with pulling with psychic scream, hungering cold and intimidating shout, this will ruin things for those attempting to sap (wont work in combat) or effectively mind control (will land, but half the fun is being able to use the abilities of the mind controlled mob).

Speaking of which, it may be worth glyphing polymorph and blind to remove DoTs for PvE if you've got a hungering cold happy DK in the group.

As for feet trapping, AoE rend or the tank taunting back ruins it. Though I do find it easier sometimes, especially if the tank has already pulled and the mob doesn't have DoTs on it. Worth making a distracting shot/stopattacking/stopcasting macro too, because I sometimes accidentally whack a mob in the face right after it has been trapped.

Edit: Shadowfury is as much an interrupt as shockwave is, and less than hammer of justice. Hammer of justice can be applied to a single target and have no chance of breaking CC, while shadowfury and shockwave have large radii and will likely break CC.
    Last edited by gamerunknown; 2011-01-09 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omgabear View Post
    Psychic scream from priests for instance.
    But yea, very good guide!
    Kudos
    Great Guide. Playing a Warlock I noticed two things that are incorrect. First, Fear does not affect undead. Second, we have an iterrupt with the Shadow Fury spell. Shadow Fury is gained down the Destruction tree and has a 20 second cooldown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenbug View Post
    Great Guide. What is the best way to pull mob's right after the CC ? Rush them without breaking CC. Sometimes it can be pretty hard.
    If you're pulling melee that's not cc'd just pull back and the tank can grab them, for ranged, interrupt or LOS!

Deleted
    Don't forget "ENSLAVE DEMON" please

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the great guide Raptor. Should help sort out a few people. Wouldn't it be a perfect WoW if there could be a universal understanding of what each raid marker indicated?

I don't see any of you backseat drivers taking the time to prepare something such as thing. How about instead of being one of the sarcastic, snivelling wolves that this fellow has bravely thrown himself to, you simply either say, "Thanks for a great guide!", or nothing at all.

#1 problem with this community is no real accountability for people dismissing common courtesy or kindness for the sake of an opportunity to /flex their little epeen. You mean spirited little trolls that tear apart someone else’s earnest attempts to be helpful should be ashamed of yourselves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJrapter View Post
    Stuns and disorients are not CC's. You would never pull with them, stop trying to argue this point.
    Yes they are ! But i agree you can't pull with them.

Couple of minor issues, but as I have played a warrior since classic I had to raise an eyebrow at the table for Intimidating Shout. Fears do not work on undead (terror is different class of attack) nor do they work on elementals. I hope this oversight is fixed asap.

Deleted
    Psychic scream (when glyphed to stand in place) is worth a mention.
    Although its not long term and not able to be clipped, it has its place as an emergency cc/interrupt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arianrh0d View Post
    Thanks for the great guide Raptor. Should help sort out a few people. Wouldn't it be a perfect WoW if there could be a universal understanding of what each raid marker indicated?

I don't see any of you backseat drivers taking the time to prepare something such as thing. How about instead of being one of the sarcastic, snivelling wolves that this fellow has bravely thrown himself to, you simply either say, "Thanks for a great guide!", or nothing at all.

#1 problem with this community is no real accountability for people dismissing common courtesy or kindness for the sake of an opportunity to /flex their little epeen. You mean spirited little trolls that tear apart someone else’s earnest attempts to be helpful should be ashamed of yourselves.
    But what if it happened to be bad advice he was giving and no one pointed it out? That doesn't exactly strike me as particularly sensible when some people may be using such a thing as a point of reference. Besides which what would be the point of the forum if the only posts were 'yeah this is great.' Can't imagine that being a great read. Most of the posts here are just pointing out things that may have been overlooked or offering constructive information he may find useful if he ever wanted to expand it. Hardly a terrible thing and I think it's slightly hypocritical of you to have a go at people who have taken the time to try and be constructive rather than just leave their feedback as a simple 'yeah, this is great.'

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Hardly a terrible thing and I think it's slightly hypocritical of you to have a go at people who have taken the time to try and be constructive rather than just leave their feedback as a simple 'yeah, this is great."

Constructive critisism is great. You're right.

I'm after guys like this, "Inturrupt table made me lol Lots of typos and info that is not correct o_o"

What did that accomplish?

Hi, i just noticed yo didn't list Psychic Scream but you did list intimidating shout as a viable CC Fix if you can

Quote Originally Posted by sevenbug View Post
    Great Guide. What is the best way to pull mob's right after the CC ? Rush them without breaking CC. Sometimes it can be pretty hard.
    Every tank class has a ranged taunt. Use it to pull so you dont cleave the CC on accident. Also LoS is your friend.

When I buy or considering using a strategy guide, i expect it to not be missing strategies... like this one... /fail.

I would maybe retitle this "PvE Crowd Control 101 Guide". Then maybe expand on it to further include stuns, etc. and PvP tactics.