Thread: Survial pets

Deleted

Survial pets

i'm looking to see whats the best hunter pet to use for hc's raids anything really. i have had the same pet from lvl 10 but i see alot of hunters with different pets and i'm not sure what is best to pick

Scrapbot Was Here.
    I was asked a simple question in school today; 3 men walk into a bar, 1 orders a Margarita, 1 orders a Screwdriver, and the third orders the largest glass of Guinness he could get. Which on is gay?
    My answer: The one who bought the Guinness because he gave it to me.
    my teacher looked at my answer and laughed. i got bonus points because of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I took the dog from SM Library all the way to 85...its actually really good for heroics because it adds a limited CC ability (lock jaw)
    You may be smarter than me but I inherited a multi-million dollar enterprise.

There are 3 types of pets; tenacity, cunning, and ferocity. These types determine the pet's talent tree. There are guides to pet talent specs in the sticky thread at the top of the hunter forum.

For pet families and special abilities as well as to find a skin you like try http://www.wow-petopia.com/

There is no "best" and you should have several pets at the ready depending on the makeup of your group. I have a cat, wolf, fox, and beetle at all times (though the beetle is for soloing purposes) and switch out the last one based on how I'm feeling that day. Rule of thumb, be prepared to bring what the group is missing.

"Best" pets (the difference is pretty slim between all of the types now so it comes down to buffs)
    These are the 5 I carry:
    Cat: AGI/STR buff
    Wolf: 5% Crit buff
    Dragon Hawk: +8% Magic Damage
    Sporebat: Casting speed debuff
    Beetle: Emergency Tank - Taunt/shield/last stand/mend can hold even raid bosses for a few swings so that a battle res can go out or a tank can get healed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifsara View Post
    That's a great diagram, but if I don't know the composition of my raid groups in advance, which 5 pets should I take to cover the most common group compositions?
    Last edited by XAmsterdamX; 2010-12-28 at 05:41 PM.

id say the ones that have the least other classes to provide the buffs.
    Scrapbot Was Here.
    I was asked a simple question in school today; 3 men walk into a bar, 1 orders a Margarita, 1 orders a Screwdriver, and the third orders the largest glass of Guinness he could get. Which on is gay?
    My answer: The one who bought the Guinness because he gave it to me.
    my teacher looked at my answer and laughed. i got bonus points because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by XAmsterdamX View Post
    That's a great diagram, but if I don't know the composition of my raid groups in advance, which 5 pets should I take to cover the most common group compositions?
    Cat and Wolf are the most important. Dealer's choice from there.

Deleted
    the tiny monkey pet, this is the best pet

I have those. And a tenacity pet in case I need to tank. But I can't decide on the other 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    i use a dragonhawk for SV because it gives +8% magic damage which is every single ability other than auto and killshot for sv, a real nice dps increase and one my mage friend really appreciates
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
    They laugh in the face of our pet, they laugh at our traps, they laugh at our slows and backleaps. We have but one final weapon up our sleeve. We can play on their far weaker and feebler minds to impress on them the illusion that we have died! Yes we can confound and befuddle our enemies into thinking we have slipped off this mortal coil. Of course, a fellow hunter knows different. he knows we are simply fooling them into complacency. For it is then, when they belive they have won... we strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Seveer3 View Post
    i use a dragonhawk for SV because it gives +8% magic damage which is every single ability other than auto and killshot for sv, a real nice dps increase and one my mage friend really appreciates
    This. I use a windserpent as the +8% magic buff is amazing (far better than 5% crit wolf, and i always have a DK/warrior/shaman in my groups). This also helps a lot in raids as it buffs EVERYONE'S magic damage (if you don't already have the buff, if you do, choose a differen't pet depending on your raids/groups comp).

Cat is best if you don't have the buff. 549 Agility (before Into the Wilderness/etc) is amazing.

For soloing, it would be a tossup between a cat and a windserpent for me. Your raid group.. well, you can stable more than enough pets to cover any kind of buff now, so you can just pay the stablemaster a visit once you know what you need.

However, if I'm soloing raids or doing Tol Barad dailies, Turtle or Beetle all the way, there is no other decent choice for a tanking pet in my opinion.

Deleted
    Cat, Wolf, Wind Serpent or Dragonhawk, and the other two are up to choice really. I like taking a Raptor or a Serpent in case it's a paladin tank, and a Ravager for the rare +4% physical damage incase every other gap is filled.