Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Am i an unreasonable person?

First of all i'm a healer, a holy priest to be exact. Today i decided to do some Grim Batol HC in hopes that the second boss would drop the healing wand.

So i queue wait 1 minute and get a group 4 people from the same guild. I think "oh shit i hope this wont be another one of those" but proced with healing anyways. The group consists of a rogue, affliction warlock, mage and protection warrior. You would think that with all that cc the trash would be a breaze, but no i offtank 1-2 mobs every pull whenever my fade is on cd.

Bit angry at this point i keep my calm and continue to the first boss hoping that things will be better here. To put it short the purple trogg was alive for ages hitting on dps and mincing them to pulp. Other three troggs were hitting me and i had to fade/fear them away from me every cd even tho i was standing less than 10y from the tank. My mana drops to 20% from all the self healing i had to do, so i calmly walk back towards the exit and let them die.

Ofcourse i was yelled at and kicked.

Next group i joined to was a retri pala, boomkin, mage and a warrior. Now while you read this you think to yourself sure the warrior was the tank BUT NOOO he was a friend of the mage and he queue as a tank to get him an instant queue and left shortly after. Mage ofcourse calmly expected us to requeue and get another tank in couple of minutes.

I was furious not because of myself, hell 1 minute queue is nothing. But when i think of all the dps waiting for 40+ minutes just to get their spot taken in such a low manner. Interestingly enough the 2 DPS which i though would be quite mad didn't and were angry at me for not wanting to requeue till the mage leaves.

Am i expecting to much of people to act like they would if they were not hidden behind their PC screens? Am i expecting to much when i join a group which claims to know the tactics then fails miserably? I would gladly explain them if they would just admit they don't know what to do...

Or is there really such a large base of people who are incompetent, exploitive or simply don't give a flying f**k?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rega View Post

Or is there really such a large base of people who are incompetent, exploitive or simply don't give a flying f**k?
    ^ This sums it up.

Welcome to the internet.

People are not held accountable for any actions they take. That allows them to be total douche bags.
    NO LOOT FOR YOU!

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh...I'm with you I guess in the 2nd case, but in the first not at all. When an encounter is not going well ditching midstream does not help. If things aren't going well discuss adjustments in positioning and strategy. These fights may be old to you, but cata is relatively new and not everyone knows the fights through and through yet. If you are doing a fight you consider easy and the group is struggling you can impart the wisdom of your experience before the next try. Leaving in the middle of an encounter and letting the group die does not make you better than them, no matter how poorly the encounter is going. If after trying you are convinced it is a waste of time you can politely say so between attempts and excuse yourself.
    Last edited by shokter; 2010-12-28 at 11:29 PM.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    If you are doing a fight you consider easy and the group is struggling you can impart the wisdom of your experience before the next try.
    I did not "ditch" the fight till it was painfully certain it was a wipe, 3 live adds whailing on a healer with 20% mana left and boss above 50% hp and 1 dps dead from not moving away on a charge is a 100% guaranteed wipe. And before anyone goes there i normaly finish that fight without any mana problems.

As for the advice i would be glad to explain to them that you can CC the purple trogg for the duration of the entire fight and he won't respawn (remember shaman could hex and lock could fear) if they didn't just blindly pull and later insisted they know the fight inside out and don't need my advice.

As a dps, one thing I learned quickly with cata heroics is that some people just suck. I was really only running pugs whenever guildies were unavailable but now I wont be playing heroics unless its a guild group. Theres really nothing you can do about it since there is no punishment to deter people from being inconsiderate.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfootball79 View Post
    Welcome to the internet.

People are not held accountable for any actions they take. That allows them to be total douche bags.
    And yet people complain about things like RealID which would help alleviate that thinking.

Thats a good idea that mage had. Have a tanking class friend get you the insta queue. Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfootball79 View Post
    Welcome to the internet.

This is exactly it. With the increased difficulty of Cataclysm dungeons it seems people have taken it upon themselves to be utter and complete douchebags. So far nearly everyone I've run into in a dungeon has been some screaming asshole from some "hardcore raid guild" yelling at people because they don't know all the mechanics of a dungeon the first time they're there.

I cringe on behalf of the Warcraft players of the world who do not dedicate 12 hours a day to this game.

Deleted
    i calmly walk back towards the exit and let them die.
    You answered your own question. Two wrongs don't make a right. If you can't put up with how they're playing, tell them or leave.

This is how I feel as well. And it's hilarious how the same trend of complete asshole-ness is prevalent both on US and EU.

If things don't get better I may actually cancel my subscription simply because I do not have the time or energy to play with such utter jerks, and most of my guild are not the best, being a social guild.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your story, though interesting, leaves me with a few questions. First, though you were pulling healing aggro, were you letting the tank know that you were gaining excessive aggro from the mobs, so that he might change how he was tanking? Did you suggest that the group CC, admittedly it should be obvious to the group that you need to CC (perhaps they were new to heroics,) or they simply thought that you were comfortable fading, and capable of healing through the excessive, and unnecessary dmg.

Did you in any way voice constructive criticism?

I only ask since it might have salvaged the run.

Walking away from the group towards the exit, as you stated you did, was an intentional dickish move. An action that was uncalled for, especially if you communicated your issues with the group up to that point. In fact, dropping group would have been a better solution than walking to the entrance, as you had aggro on the boss and mobs...you weren't really expecting to live and not get flak for leaving the fight while people were alive, were you?

As for the tank leaving and your refusal re-queue till the mage left, well that was just arrogant. I know dps who've used that method, and other dps in my experience do not mind, as they know that group will get the next tank that queues, rather than having to wait another 40+ minutes. Your consideration for those DPS is admirable, but you should of queued with them when you saw that they were ok with it. You actually caused more of a delay for that run to get underway by refusing to queue than the mage did by having his friend queue as a tank, and get him in a group.

Yes there are people who don't know how to play their class. There are people unfamiliar with the difficulties of heroics, and there are people who might have tunnel vision, as to not know when mobs are attacking the healer, instead of the tank. Constructive criticism goes a long way, and not only can help your run, but future runs they have. In addition, you never know, you might actually end up in another group with them.

Having an elitist attitude, and assuming everyone knows how to play their class as well, or better than you know how to play your class is going to cause you a lot of frustrations.

Now, if you did communicate with them, suggest CCing targets, letting the tank know that adds were consistently on you due to healing aggro, and he refused to change his tanking tactics, well then, you were still in the wrong for running to the entrance of the instance. You should of simply dropped group, and re-queued with your 1-4 minute queue time.But they were in the wrong as well.

Instance etiquette seems to have all but disappeared with the LFG tool. Anonymity on the internet is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rega View Post
    As for the advice i would be glad to explain to them that you can CC the purple trogg for the duration of the entire fight and he won't respawn (remember shaman could hex and lock could fear) ...
    Or the mage could sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by runeb1980@hotmail.com View Post
    This is exactly it. With the increased difficulty of Cataclysm dungeons it seems people have taken it upon themselves to be utter and complete douchebags. So far nearly everyone I've run into in a dungeon has been some screaming asshole from some "hardcore raid guild" yelling at people because they don't know all the mechanics of a dungeon the first time they're there.

I cringe on behalf of the Warcraft players of the world who do not dedicate 12 hours a day to this game.
    There is a big difference between not knowing an encounter and being a bad player. I have no problem if a person asks for a fight to be explained but when they stay silent and then die to a very obvious fight mechanic which leads to a group wipe then it gets me a little worked up. A lot of time is not needed to understand basic mechanics of the game which a lot of people seem to lack.

...about sums up my feelings on the Dungeon Finder. If you want to develop long term decent relationships with people who will have an incentive to play well and help you out - then make your own PUG on your own server. But you won't because you like the instant queues. So enjoy the results of that.

Deleted
    This is exactly why I haven't done any hc in two weeks.

In the first case you were unreasonable. If you don't say anything how can you expect people to change their behavior to what you want it to be? A reasonable person tries until the fight is over and makes observations and assessments based on the wipe. For all you know they were just poor players that convinced their friend to try tanking for a shorter que. You complain about people being terrible but give up on them when you have a perfect chance to make an attempt to help coach them. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was reasonable for them to kick you either, but people are quick to lash out at others instead of solving conflicts with words.

In the second attempt I understand where everyone is coming from. Yes the mage is a dick for line hopping, but the others were justified to be angry that they had to wait their time and had it potentially ruined. It probably could have been handled better with diplomacy; "this guy is the reason why queues are 40 minutes, lets vote kick him and requeue."

There are a lot of jerks in the world, and when people don't have consequences for their actions and are essentially anonymous even normal people can act like jerks. Not everyone in the game is a jerk but you seemed to have a bad string of luck running into a few. If you lose it and act unreasonable it will just make things escalate. If you stay calm and try to work things out you may just remind people that they aren't jerks and shouldn't act as such just because there are no immediate consequences.

Lots of people are idiots. Sometimes people make honest mistakes, but in pugs...yeah....expect idiots. Thats why I usually just keep my mouth shut in pugs instead of being a smartass, even if I'm right, but I suppose this is pretty easy to do as a dps because 99% of the wipes are blamed on either the tank or the healer. Why, just the other day we were doing a H Stonecore mostly guild run and the only thing we had to pug was the tank. Needless to say, when we were on Ozruk and we asked if he knew what to do, he listed the abilites for the *last* boss and proceeded to pull and die to getting hit by shatter, to which he said after we told him why he died, 'the healer is bad'. I told him to kindly check the deathlog which stated that he was hit for 130k in one hit. I normally have patience for shit but sometimes people just piss me off. Moral of the story is, people are douchebags until proven otherwise.

Deleted
    I rarely ever pug but the pug heroics I have done have usually fataled due to the DPS. I have enough gear now to not go OOM even if the tank sucks and forces me to spam every party member with regrowths. Literally EVERY pug dps Ive played with so far struggles to push higher than 5-6k dps on a boss. I can do that much damage spamming wrath in Resto spec.

Its embarassing really

I don't agree with you at all on either point. If the group is having issues, talk it over with the group. If they won't listen THEN Get upset- don't get upset first. You'll never help people like that.

As for the second point- dps have 30 to up to an hour long queue. Some people simply don't have 4 hours to do a heroic. I don't think it's too much to let the people who have friends not mind getting deserter let them get an insta queue. If you have a problem with this, complain on the forums, not here.

Sounds to me like if things don't go the way you want them to, you start insulting people/making runs complicated. Yes you're being unreasonable- you're not the center of the universe. Being friendly and helping people goes a long way.