42 12.57%
  • PC and I play US.

129 38.62%

Thread: Mac or PC.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    PC. UK.

I use the computers at college for coursework, so my PC is used solely for gaming.

Deleted
    Mac EU
    My dad has always bought mac and now I'm familiar with it. Don't really like the pc's with all their viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ojzan-Grokx View Post
    Don't really like the pc's with all their viruses.
    That's what you call a marketing technique success. Anybody with half a brain can completely avoid viruses in a PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canada, 24" iMac. I understand PC's are cheap and highly customizable compared to their Mac counterparts but for someone who is a computer retard I find the mac set up easy to navigate, easy to maintain and very intuitive. I haven't gotten past the first page yet but I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a flame war.

Off topic question: If I have a PC, is it possible to run it straight off of OSX without boot camp? Basically a Mac in a PC body without bootcamp or something similar.

---------- Post added 2010-12-31 at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    That's what you call a marketing technique success. Anybody with half a brain can completely avoid viruses in a PC.
    That's me, I killed my HP laptop in 6 months :P.

---------- Post added 2010-12-31 at 07:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Worchild View Post
    PC + US

A friend and I went into business building PC's so it makes sense for me to build + use my own system.

How well does WoW run on Mac? I used to hear of people having trouble with it. (BC era)
    I have never personally had any issues other than it just being old hardware trying to run mid day dalaran on way to high of graphics settings lol. The biggest issues I've had with my mac in WoW was during the cata beta which were simply bugs.

Edit: Well after getting further through this thread it's clear this thread has begun to deteriorate into a flame war.

So I will also leave you Mac bashers with this. You act like Mac and their users are personally attacking you and it is your duty to insult and bash them, their product, and the people who use them. The most ironic part about it is half the time you claim that Mac users are smug assholes who deserve it. This thread shows just the opposite. Just like what you like and be done with it.
    Last edited by deathtakes; 2010-12-31 at 07:20 PM.

Deleted
    PC EU here, never really wanted to buy a mac, woulda cost me nearly double for a Mac with same specs as my PC and i jsut dont have that sorta money :P built my PC myself so was extra cheap

15+ Year Old Account
    It's strikingly easy to close threads. The OP was correct in his post saying to post what you use.

If this delves further into a flame war it will be closed

Post what you use. I don't care why you don't use the other or why you think the other sucks, that wasn't the question. The question was what do you use, so keep your answers short, sweet, and to the point.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by Oblesidon the Kingslayer View Post
    AMEN brother lol i hate the Mac snobs who condone the whole macs don't get virus's thing
    I wouldn't call them snobs, I just think they bought in to the marketing. That's apple's biggest strength, their marketing techniques are miles beyond anything PC could ever dream of.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have been a Mac user for the passed 4 years and hated the last 3 of it VERY VERY much my biggest problem with it the HUGE lack of games (Of course) and just general software, ill also say that every problem I have had with it would have been MUCH MUCH more easy to fix on a pc and a crap load less expensive. 2 Weeks ago my iMac finally called it quits and died on me about 2 hours after hitting 85 and getting enough gear to start heroics... My new bad ass monster pc should be here in the next 2 weeks.... I'm very anxious.

If your doing basic web surfing/editing or media editing I would say Mac is good Mac 4 years ago VS Vista I will say Mac spanked Vista in term of performance even for wow, but now with Windows 7 I really see no point or advantage to having mac. Pay more to do less. That being said the iPhone and iPad are way cool and a must have for any geek, ill also admit I had MUCH less problems with virus security for my Mac. If you're going to get mac I must strongly recommend avoiding their lap tops and iMacs. They are notorious for heating issues and the way they are built its hard and expensive to fix/replace parts especially the iMac. If the ONLY game you play is WoW mac may not be a bad choice as it is a VERY light OS but it also does have problems with SOME vent servers if they lack GSM codecs.

Deleted
    Moderators are allowed to have opinions.
    That's nice, if I were to call him that thing he used, would I be banned - I wonder?

If this delves further into a flame war it will be closed
    Just close it, it won't get any better. It will just degenerate further into "Mac users are noobs", "Mac users are snobs","Mac users are stupid" etc.

As a side note, I bet I've done more work with computers and IT than pretty much anyone in this thread in the last 15 years. I've delivered machines that cost more than your apartment yet today I use a Mac. Why? Because I got tired of spending my time patching together various components and nowadays I just want to get the job done.

Also, Macs work fine with Unix mainframes and Linux/BSD/SunOS-Solaris so it's an obvious choice for anyone in my line of work, or rather my ex-work since I'm nowadays doing something completely different.
    Last edited by mmoce1e4d9dec7; 2010-12-31 at 08:06 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtakes View Post
    Canada, 24" iMac. I understand PC's are cheap and highly customizable compared to their Mac counterparts but for someone who is a computer retard I find the mac set up easy to navigate, easy to maintain and very intuitive. I haven't gotten past the first page yet but I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a flame war.

Off topic question: If I have a PC, is it possible to run it straight off of OSX without boot camp? Basically a Mac in a PC body without bootcamp or something similar.

---------- Post added 2010-12-31 at 07:01 PM ----------

That's me, I killed my HP laptop in 6 months :P.

---------- Post added 2010-12-31 at 07:05 PM ----------

I have never personally had any issues other than it just being old hardware trying to run mid day dalaran on way to high of graphics settings lol. The biggest issues I've had with my mac in WoW was during the cata beta which were simply bugs.

Edit: Well after getting further through this thread it's clear this thread has begun to deteriorate into a flame war.

So I will also leave you Mac bashers with this. You act like Mac and their users are personally attacking you and it is your duty to insult and bash them, their product, and the people who use them. The most ironic part about it is half the time you claim that Mac users are smug assholes who deserve it. This thread shows just the opposite. Just like what you like and be done with it.
    Sorry for the DP.

Back in BC I had an issue with my Mac that caused me to crash my modem every time I was on the stairs in Kara only when I was using wireless. Everybody in my house would insta DC.

And to the first part of your post, that's exactly what Mac is great for, simple sweet and straight forward. Its why their phones are so good.

The biggest problem I had with my iMac is most the hardware is soldered to the motherboard, so when something breaks you have to unsolder it witch can be very risky, NO WORRIES you say!? I have the apple care protection plan! I sent my mac in 4 times because the wireless went out, the Ethernet port burned out, and my graphics card died, First time I sent it back they didn't fix anything.... second time they got my wireless working. third they FINALLY fixed my graphics card and my ethernet port was never fixed even when I sent it in the 4th and eventual 5th time for JUST that issue, no other issue just the bad port and it never got fixed. My current problem is my HDD just burned out and because I'm not a mac genius I'm apparently to stupid to be allowed to open the case to MY comp and fix it myself without some silly little key or the possibility of breaking it more, the cost to send it in and repair it you ask? Without the apple protection plan. A whopping 870 bucks.... I paid 2 grand for this thing 4 almost 5 years ago....

As far as "Smug Apple Owners" go, id say its on both sides of the fence, we have a name for those people, they are called Fan-Boys, and we should all hate them.

Please don't take me wrong, not hating on Mac or Mac users, just had a bad experience myself, but they do certainly have their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    That's nice, if I were to call him that thing he used, would I be banned - I wonder?
    You mean slimy motherfucker? Because that's what I see him as, and I would never contribute to his business model. A multimillionare that does not open a single philanthropic division for his company is exactly that: a slimy motherfucker.

But no, you wouldn't get banned. If you were to insult people for buying apple, then yes you would get banned.

There's a surprising amount of people playing on apple computers, more than I'd think.

That doesn't change that it's still something I'd rather not have to worry about at all on a machine that my livelihood depends on. My computer being compromised at almost any time could cost me days of work, often work that cannot be redone. It's not worth the hassle of dealing with. Windows is still a fairly poorly designed OS. The way it handles installing and removing programs is absolutely terrible. The registry is a completely failed idea that makes the OS significantly less stable than it would be otherwise. It doesn't defragment as you go. The "window as program" design is dated and inferior. The insistence that windows be maximized is counter-intuitive to multitasking. The way Windows handles hardware is absolutely horrendous, especially USB and Firewire devices. What finally drove me from the OS was constant issues with external audio interfaces. In OSX, these devices almost universally work when I plug them in, and stop working them I unplug them. In Windows, there were endless driver issues, crashes, and the OS was constantly confused about what I was doing.

Simply put: It's a poorly thrown together operating system, and the primary reason for this is that they keep going from the ground up, instead of iterating on their designs until they get somewhere. Every new release is basically a whole bunch of new things getting thrown at the wall and hoping some of them stick, but in the process they keep clogging it up with worthless features that they insist on shoving in your face. In this respect, I simply prefer the design of OSX. I find it more fluid for everyday use, and the features I don't use are tightly tucked away where they don't get in my way.

This doesn't mean OSX is better for everyone, but it is better for me. If you prefer the Windows interface, or need programs that only work in Windows, that's great for you and I wish you well. However, I think I got my money's worth with my Mac. Sure, I could get a similarly powered PC for way cheaper, but it wouldn't have half the features my Mac has. I could get a car as powerful as a BMW 7-Series for way cheaper, but that doesn't mean it would have the same bells and whistles. My Mac has numerous convenience features that I use frequently, such as the giant touchpad with click-anywhere, the magsafe, the extraordinarily well done backlighting, the wide viewing angle screen, Firewire-800, an extremely sturdy but light shell, and on top of all this it has the OS I prefer, which runs the software I need, and is compatible with all the external hardware I need to have access to.

From a Mac user, go PC. Unless you want to spend almost 2 grand on a computer, PC is the way to go.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    There's a surprising amount of people playing on apple computers, more than I'd think.
    This may surprise you but despite us owning a certain brand product, it doesn't mean we go shouting it on every street. If someone asks, I'll tell them - other than that, I'll just keep quiet about what I'm using.

I think it's pretty obvious that most of the repliers are young - many of you weren't there to see the bullshit of Intel+Microsoft in the 80s and early-mid 90s and the business practices they had and still do in many ways. If you were and you had experience with dealing with them in real life and in business sense, you might have completely different opinions about them.
    Last edited by mmoce1e4d9dec7; 2010-12-31 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    That doesn't change that it's still something I'd rather not have to worry about at all on a machine that my livelihood depends on. My computer being compromised at almost any time could cost me days of work, often work that cannot be redone. It's not worth the hassle of dealing with. Windows is still a fairly poorly designed OS. The way it handles installing and removing programs is absolutely terrible. The registry is a completely failed idea that makes the OS significantly less stable than it would be otherwise. It doesn't defragment as you go. The "window as program" design is dated and inferior. The insistence that windows be maximized is counter-intuitive to multitasking. The way Windows handles hardware is absolutely horrendous, especially USB and Firewire devices. What finally drove me from the OS was constant issues with external audio interfaces. In OSX, these devices almost universally work when I plug them in, and stop working them I unplug them. In Windows, there were endless driver issues, crashes, and the OS was constantly confused about what I was doing.
    Which OS are you talking about, Win7? I've had absolutely no issues with Win7 whatsoever, in fact I'd say it's easily their most stable operating system to date. Almost everything about Win7 flows very nicely, is clearly organized and easy to use. The only driver issue I've had was with ATI Catalyst and youtube videos playing while WoW was on another screen, but it turns out that was a faulty update from ATI and had nothing to do with windows compatibility.

This doesn't mean OSX is better for everyone, but it is better for me. If you prefer the Windows interface, or need programs that only work in Windows, that's great for you and I wish you well. However, I think I got my money's worth with my Mac. Sure, I could get a similarly powered PC for way cheaper, but it wouldn't have half the features my Mac has. I could get a car as powerful as a BMW 7-Series for way cheaper, but that doesn't mean it would have the same bells and whistles. My Mac has numerous convenience features that I use frequently, such as the giant touchpad with click-anywhere, the magsafe, the extraordinarily well done backlighting, the wide viewing angle screen, Firewire-800, an extremely sturdy but light shell, and on top of all this it has the OS I prefer, which runs the software I need, and is compatible with all the external hardware I need to have access to.
    I won't deny that OSX isn't awesome, because it is. The folks that put together Snow Leopard definitely deserve a Christmas bonus for the work. It's a fantastic OS that, well, works. The biggest problem is they don't get driver updates quick enough to put state-of-the-art hardware in their systems. In terms of usability, OSX is great. I'd put it even with Win7.

Now my biggest issue, aside from Jobs, is the price they demand for their products. They buy all their materials from the same Korean company that most other computer companies do. They opt to use laptop GPU's for their iMacs to save on size, which increases heat and decreases performance. They solder components on motherboards to size down their products, which in turn makes fixing it yourself damn near impossible unless you really know what you're doing. That practically forces you to take Applecare. I could laundry list problems, but I don't feel that's too constructive. Really the only thing superior about them is sound engineering software. Unless you're in the music industry, you're really getting jipped for money.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Id also like to clarify to the "I use macs so I don't get a virus" Its not that Macintosh is Virus proof, its that 80%+ of the world uses Windows so a hacker would be smarter to hack the larger portion, and imo its not a fair trade when you think about how few programs Mac has in comparison to PC and the over all cost of a mac and the mait cost of a mac.

It doesn't defragment as you go.
    Windows 7 Does.

The way Windows handles hardware is absolutely horrendous, especially USB and Firewire devices.
    I have zero issues with all the hardware I use.

In Windows, there were endless driver issues
    This is a hardware manufacture issue. Not windows.

If you prefer the Windows interface, or need programs that only work in Windows, that's great for you and I wish you well.
    You could say the same thing about Mac's.

I personally prefer the PC. Allows me to customize however I want. And of course cheaper.

15+ Year Old Account
    No love for Plan 9

Which OS are you talking about, Win7? I've had absolutely no issues with Win7 whatsoever, in fact I'd say it's easily their most stable operating system to date. Almost everything about Win7 flows very nicely, is clearly organized and easy to use. The only driver issue I've had was with ATI Catalyst and youtube videos playing while WoW was on another screen, but it turns out that was a faulty update from ATI and had nothing to do with windows compatibility.
    You may not have had any issues with Win7, but try getting multiple audio interfaces to work at the same time, and enjoy pulling your hair out. That's my main issue.

I won't deny that OSX isn't awesome, because it is. The folks that put together Snow Leopard definitely deserve a Christmas bonus for the work. It's a fantastic OS that, well, works. The biggest problem is they don't get driver updates quick enough to put state-of-the-art hardware in their systems. In terms of usability, OSX is great. I'd put it even with Win7.
    Win7 is clunky, imo, by comparison. It's a step up from their previous offerings, but it doesn't hit the level of simplicity and depth OSX has OSX has a nice balance between the two, while Win7 sacrifices everything for a kind of pseudo-depth, where they mistake shoving features down your throat for versatility. Look at how Windows handle its options, for example. You have a choice between a ridiculously dumbed down set of options that treats you like a 2 year old, or an overly complicated set of options which will almost entirely never be used by 99% of the population. OSX manages to walk a very nice line between these two things.

People who enjoy working with computers have the tendency to forget about the fact that they ENJOY working with computers when they talk about this subject. I don't enjoy working with computers. I used to, but these days I see the computer as a tool that I want to do the job as efficiently and simply as possible. I don't want to futz around with menus and customize and blah blah blah; I want the machine to do the job when I plug it in. That's it. Every minute screwing with the machine, which YOU might enjoy, I find to be a terrible waste of time and a pain in the ass. I understand the enjoyment of wrangling the machine, because I used to be really into that stuff, but those days are long gone, and once they were it finally clicked for me why people had issues with things that didn't seem like a big deal to me before.

Now my biggest issue, aside from Jobs, is the price they demand for their products. They buy all their materials from the same Korean company that most other computer companies do. They opt to use laptop GPU's for their iMacs to save on size, which increases heat and decreases performance. They solder components on motherboards to size down their products, which in turn makes fixing it yourself damn near impossible unless you really know what you're doing. That practically forces you to take Applecare. I could laundry list problems, but I don't feel that's too constructive. Really the only thing superior about them is sound engineering software. Unless you're in the music industry, you're really getting jipped for money.
    We are talking about laptops and all-in-one machines. For all intensive purposes, the issues you are describing are identical in both the normal PC and the Mac market. We have to compare apples to apples here (wow that's a terrible pun that I noticed while rereading this). As far the price issues go, you can't compare two machines of equal power and pretend all other things are equal. They aren't. The Macs come in extremely well designed shells, and have all the bells and whistles I listed above. Yes, I can get a PC with some of those similar features, in a nice shell and everything, but once I do that we are actually looking at roughly similar prices anyway. To use the same analogy I did above: You can't compare twi cars with similar engines and pretend there are no other differences. I need a car that goes where I need it to go reliably, and I'd like luxury features aside from that, not power. More power beyond what I use is worthless to me in both computers and cars. I like the heated seats, the cruise control, and the high end stereo, and I'd pay a premium for all of those things in a slow-moving car any day, because it's more important to me than power I simply won't use.

---------- Post added 2010-12-31 at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Windows 7 Does.

I have zero issues with all the hardware I use.

This is a hardware manufacture issue. Not windows.

You could say the same thing about Mac's.

I personally prefer the PC. Allows me to customize however I want. And of course cheaper.
    Do you use external audio interfaces, often from four or five different companies at one time? I do. Trust me, it's a nightmare in Windows. If these were simply hardware manufacturer issues, well then I find it curious that these issues don't exist when I use a Mac. Of course, there is a reason for this and it's two words: Core Audio. Windows doesn't have a comparable base for audio. Period.