Question Cataclysm: Single vs. Triple Monitor Setup

Hello folks!

I could really use some advice here... My PC has the following:

Processor: Overclocked Intel Core i7 950 3.8GHz Quad-Core (8MB L3 Cache)
    Memory: 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz (Tri Channel Memory)
    Graphics Card: 2 x 1536MB GDDR5 Nvidia GTX 580 on SLI (Stock)
    Hard Drive: 4 x 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA 6 (RAID 0 on LSI MegaRaid 9260-4i RAID Controller)

I believe my system can play WoW: Cataclysm on ULTRA settings over multiple monitors (3+) with no problems. But since I haven't tested this setup before, I thought of asking while being precise at the same time. With respect to gameplay experience, do you think it is more "entertaining" to:

a) Play on a "single" large LED backlit monitor (24" max) OR
    b) Play on "triple" large LED backlit monitors (24" max each) ??

My conditions are:

1) Money is NOT an issue here.
    2) I RARELY surf the net or do other stuff while playing WoW. I do have a use for multiple monitors outside WoW however.
    3) I'm planning to have WoW running on all monitors, most of the time, if I decide to go with option b). This also means that all THREE monitors will be set up in Nvidia's 2D Surround.
    4) NO plans for 3D single/multiple monitor setup at the moment.
    5) I will play other racing, FPS, RTS and RPG games, but mainly WoW.
    5) Once again, the choice will be based mainly on the fun factor and functionality of each setup. Will option a) remain the best as a WoW setup? Is option b) worth it, or it will get old over time? In other words, I don't want to end up using a single monitor with WoW even after going with option b)!

Guys, your thoughts on this would be HIGHLY appreciated! Thank you in advance for your help.

*Cheers*

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet Swifty knows the answer to your problem or question:P

But i like the idea of having 3 monitors at once:>

Deleted
    Imo you'd have better use with a bigger monitor and a higher resolition. like a 30" with 2560x1600 resolution or something. I think a 3 monitor setup, especially with nvidia will cause a lot of driver bugs. ATI has eyefinity stuff and is more focussed on multi monitor stuff i think. But for a smoother experience (less driver bugs etc i think) i'd just go for one larger monitor. Keep the 24" next to it as a browsing montir or something i don't know

Oddly enough I'm sitting here waiting on my third monitor to be delivered today. (Will be running 3x Samsung BX2450 LED monitors on a radeon 6850 EyeFinity setup) I can't speak for WoW yet; however, my friend's EyeFinity rig was a lot of fun to play around with for first person shooter and racing games. He mentioned sometimes he feels very slight motion sickness though if he plays like this for too long and he's never had a history of that. I'm looking forward to it for WoW only from a pvp perspective to just have a better idea of what's going on in my immediate peripheral area.

I'll let you know how it turns up if I remember to post later. The wait for the UPS truck is driving me insane! >.<

I have a friend who plays wow on 3x37" LCD and he fuckin loves it. The only reason I don't personally have trip monitors is cos of tue clipping between them which is more noticeable he smaller your monitors are. But hell if you wanna do it I do t see any real reason not to, ESP if your gonna be playing more than just wow on it.

I run a nvidia surround setup with 2x GTX 580s and 3x Dell u3011's.

I have ZERO driver issues with WoW at 7680x1600 resolution. nvidia's control panel allows you to compensate for pixel spacing etc.

Since money is no issue, I recommend to you 3x Dell u2410 IPS panel monitors. They have minimal input lag. They are not LED, but who cares, the IPS panel LCD is going to be of much better quality than an LED backlit TN panel.

Now if those monitors do creep out of your price range, I highly recommend the LED Asus 24" monitors.

25-man raids will probably lag even on your computer in 3 monitor setup. Not entirely sure of that though since not many have reported here after trying it. Probably have to drop shadows down a bit at least.

Would be curious to hear how it turns out if you try it
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Well I cant go into the tech stuff but your system can defo play it, My cousin plays with 6 monitors on a desktop and his only real problem is he has to have his window open to stop it over heating because he didnt install a big enough fan or water cooling what ever he used, not sure if its because of the monitors or the system itself tbh, I personnaly play atm with 1 monitor but ive just managed to get my hands on a second one so ill be duo screening myself soon enough I hope but let me know how good the three monitors work I can always un hitch my desktop pc and attach that too into the laptop
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Since money is no issue I would go with the 3.

I have used ATI's eyefinity setup to run wow on 3 20's and it is nice as hell. It did make me dizzy a bit a first though!

A few downfalls(and maybe this is with ATI eyefinity only) you do get some fish eye effect and the text from NPCs is huge. Had to get an addon to fix the text to make it playable.
    Last edited by hambonee; 2010-12-29 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zazelamel View Post
    I have a friend who plays wow on 3x37" LCD and he fuckin loves it. The only reason I don't personally have trip monitors is cos of tue clipping between them which is more noticeable he smaller your monitors are. But hell if you wanna do it I do t see any real reason not to, ESP if your gonna be playing more than just wow on it.
    OT: That is an epic sig. How has KoL turned out?

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    25-man raids will probably lag even on your computer in 3 monitor setup. Not entirely sure of that though since not many have reported here after trying it. Probably have to drop shadows down a bit at least.

Would be curious to hear how it turns out if you try it
    I was seeing 45-60 FPS in 25 man raiding at 5760x1200 res with my i7 980X and 2x GTX 580s at the tail end of wrath with my 3 monitor surround setup.

Now that I switched to 3x Dell u3011's, I'm seeing about 35-43 fps in 25 man raiding in Cata. I won't be upgrading processors until the 8 core Socket 2011's come out.
    Last edited by Naroul; 2010-12-29 at 11:06 PM.

Deleted
    On a side note: can one of you kind souls post some screens of these rigs?
    Because Im being envious on a massive scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Naroul View Post
    I was seeing 45-60 FPS in 25 man raiding at 5760x1200 res with my i7 980X and 2x GTX 580s at the tail end of wrath with my 3 monitor surround setup.

Now that I switched to 3x Dell u3011's, I'm seeing about 35-43 fps in 25 man raiding in Cata. I won't be upgrading processors until the 8 core Socket 2011's come out.
    Average, minimum or maximum? People tend to exaggerage these wildly, but not always on purpose. Most players just do not look at the fps counter during fight when it's lowest.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Average, minimum or maximum? People tend to exaggerage these wildly, but not always on purpose. Most players just do not look at the fps counter during fight when it's lowest.
    Thats my average range. Max raid FPS at the 7680x1600 res with my setup has been 107. Min, was 28. According to my FPS tracker.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 3 monitor set up is nice, but i don't like the idea of monitor heat hitting my body from 3 different angles. Also the risk of turbo cancer. They say you can't get cancer, but in 40 years when everyone develops cancer they'll change their minds, as they did with cigarettes.