Page 1 of 2
LastLast

More Halfus Wyrmbreaker Headaches

Tonight, Halfus left up Slate, Storm, and Whelps.

Raid Comp:

Prot Paladin (myself)
    Prot Warrior

Arc Mage
    Fire Mage
    Surv Hunter
    Unh DK
    Aff Lock

Resto Shaman
    Resto Shaman
    Resto Druid

We tried many different strategies, and the one we settled on was pulling the Storm drake and the whelps at the same time and burning down the storm drake with heroism, but after about 5 seconds of active time on the drake, our MT (Prot Warrior) had 8-9 stacks of the mortal strike debuff. Tank swapping ensued but with the whelps on me (and dragon now on him) I was taking far too much damage from all sources to stay up. Given, one fight we did get the storm drake and all the whelps down, but by that time we had already lost a tank. Overall we wiped about 15 times.

What are we doing wrong? Are the whelps a "must pull"? They seem to take a lot of raid damage out of the picture which is nice, because when we didn't activate them it was a whole bunch of empty health bars and empty mana bars.

Please, save our raid!

Deleted
    That your warr should get 8-9 stacks 5 sec into the fight is..... weird since you dont have the Frenzy on boss.

As i understand you had the OT tank the Storm/whelps and MT only on Halfus. If i were you i would start with MT on Storm and Halfus and you on whelps. Take halfus off the MT when he got 7-8 stacks . So then you tank whelps and Halfus. The Storm should go down any minute. After that AOE whelps and MT wait for debuff to vanish and then taunt. I guess you understand that cooldowns is used in the begining of this fight =) Also remember to have an interrupter on the boss for shadow nova.

We did also release the slate to get the debuff on boss. I guess you dont have to.
    Last edited by mmoc147778e43d; 2010-12-30 at 07:12 AM.

There was another thread asking for roughly the same thing about 2 hours ago.
    But our raid found it easier to Activate storm and the whelps, focus burn the whelps, take out the drake then spank the boss. Our raid set up was different though.

We had
    1 Warrior tank
    1 Paladin tank

Surv Hunter
    Lock
    Spriest
    Rogue
    Myself(feral dps)

Holy Paladin
    Disc Priest
    Holy Priest

We had no lust, the rogue and myself was on Halfus the whole fight for interrupts

Overall this is the best tactic our raid came up with. When we tried focusing Storm, then the whelps, we wiped and wiped quickly after the whelps was released. Releasing the whelps and burning them down first gave us a one shot.

GL in your attempts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    And, on a more hostile sidenote that I can't put in a news post. Seriously, who the fuck takes mmowned as a reliable source to the point where news sites will just repost it without any double check? Now I'm sad, or mad, or both. I don't know. >
    Thanks Boub for this epic sig! lol.

We had the same combo, it's horrible. Was our first time in there too. Though our comp was slightly different.

Blood DK
    Prot Paladin

Resto Shaman
    Disc Priest
    Holy Pally

SV Hunter
    Mutilate Rogue
    Fire Mage
    Shadow Priest
    Fury Warrior

We killed the Storm on first, burned BL/TW to do it since the Rogue/War were busy on interrupts. After Storm goes down we take a few secs to top off and Tanks switch on Halfus. Whelps cage gets opened and we pump as much AE as possible, single target if you can also helps when the tanks switch again. Once the Whelps died we just burned Halfus. Took quite a few wipes but was doable.
    ----------------------------------
    Aorus Xtreme
    5950x
    k|ngp|n 3090
    128g Ballistix
    33 fans

Prot Warrior
    Bear Druid

Holy Priest
    Holy Paladinx2

Warlock
    Unholy Death Knight
    Arms Warrior
    Fire Mage
    Survival Hunter

We pulled Storm and the Whelps together and had our Unholy DK make sure he was spreading diseases onto the Whelps and after our tank had sufficiant aoe threat we had him pop DND while the rest of the DPS burned down the storm dragon, after storm dragon was down we cleaned up the adds while pulling slate (got the Achivement btw) and having our tanks swap positions, after burning down the slate dragon, we burned boss, and got not only the 4th kill for our guild, but the achivement for killing 2 dragons within 10 seconds of eachother (the Whelp pack counts as one dragon)

Deleted
    Your problem is very likely 2 resto shamen as healers. Even 1 is gimping a 10man raid a bit.

I call him the MT and myself the OT only because I wasn't on the boss, but I outgear the warrior tank significantly. We do have a few things to patch up before our guild officially starts tackling things (wipe until it dies approach) next week, and two shaman healers is a rarity. We would typically have a disc priest in there instead (our guild lacks holy paladins), and our Arcane mage is finally realizing that his days at the top are over and exploring different specs.

I guess we'll just see what comp we get next week, here's hoping for slate, time, and whelps! /crossfingers

Thanks for your input everyone!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    your strategy is fine but try this
    stack first MS to 10/12 use BOP to clear them
    /cancelaura blessing of protection
    taunt halfus

note: b4 u bop tank, pull halfus away from the rest of the raid or have a hunter kite him so he doesnt 1 shot anything near by b4 u can pick him back up

We had this same setup 2 hours ago,
    Bear tank pulls Halfus
    Pally tank holds whelps/Storm drake
    AoE fest on the drake/whelps
    whelps died
    drake died
    pulled last drake
    killed halfus.

It is EXTREMELY healing intensive the first 60 seconds, after that its pretty simple.

We finally got our first kill tonight with whelps, storm, slate dragons up.

prot warrior
    prot pally

surv hunter
    surv hunter
    ret pally
    arcane mage
    shadow priest
    demo lock

resto shaman
    resto druid

We pulled the whelps and the storm dragon at the same time, with heroism as soon as the whelps were active. Prot warr picked up halfus, pally the rest, and we did our first tank swap after the whelps were down (about 25 seconds or so, I believe). Shadow Nova interrupts were shared between the prot warrior and the resto shaman until the storm drake was down, when the ret pally took over on interrupts.

We found that it was a fairly straightforward fight once we got the shadow nova interrupts working smoothly.

Indeed, don't be afraid to pop down every CD you have whilst getting the drakes/whelps down to keep the tanks alive - including BL or TW. Once even one drake is down and both tanks are up, the fight becomes a lot more simple... Or at the very least, the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a heavy, solid object accelerating toward you at lightning speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Your problem is very likely 2 resto shamen as healers. Even 1 is gimping a 10man raid a bit.
    I lol'd. You obviously havent got decent shaman healers in your guild then
    I healed one of the tanks in my guild whilst his shield, shoulders and main hand weapon was broken and we had MS aswell. Then Myself and the other resto shaman took it in turns healing as we used Lightning Bolt on the boss with 150% more damage for extreme mana back letting us use our mana recklessly pretty much the entire fight.

Watch it yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5HA8MWMjwo
    I didnt choose the music :P nor edit the vid.

Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    You obviously need more Shammy love in your life, you sound like you have not seen the light yet..

replace one of those resto shaman with a holy paladin.

We downed halfus on our third attempt with a holy paladin (me), resto shaman and holy priest. Had storm rider and Slate dragon, killed storm first then slate.

None of the people in our group had any experience whatsoever with the ecnounter except for those three attempts. Our wipes were because we tried to kill Slate first instead of the Storm Rider. (Tank debuffs stacked way too fast making them pretty much unhealable in the beginning of the encounter).
    Last edited by Theholypally; 2010-12-30 at 12:14 PM.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tilt519 View Post
    We had this same setup 2 hours ago,
    Bear tank pulls Halfus
    Pally tank holds whelps/Storm drake
    AoE fest on the drake/whelps
    whelps died
    drake died
    pulled last drake
    killed halfus.

It is EXTREMELY healing intensive the first 60 seconds, after that its pretty simple.
    Did your tanks ever switch? Also what are healing assignments like, ie:

-Holy Priest on MT
    -Resto Druid on raid
    -Holy Pally on OT

Thanks

Deleted
    bumping this thread as I need some help

Just started raiding with our guild, and was about to try halfus yesterday but felt we had som issues and aren't sure what order to pick.

We got slate, time warden and whelps.

Raid setup:

Prot warr
    Blood DK

Rogue
    Ret pally
    Mage
    Feral druid
    Shadow Priest

Resto druid
    Holy priest
    + random (tried with both holy paladin and resto sham)

What order are we supposed to do this? We were going with releasing slate + time warden and also slate + whelps but wiped. Are we supposed to go slate nuke first? And what other adds should we release then?

do we need to release the whelps at all?

Help appreciated, couldnt find our combo anywhere so

have you considered a bubble/cancel bubble macro to lose the debuff from Halfus? it might buy you the extra time you need

Quote Originally Posted by Ontirektum View Post
    do we need to release the whelps at all?
    I think the whelps are the easiest 'dragon' to down.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen this in this thread yet, but my guild actually uses 3 healers and 3 tanks, and releases 3 drakes at the start and the 4th shortly after (before the first drake is dead).

Did it in heroic in our alt/pug run oneshot this lockout^^ and we used 3 healers and 3 tanks for it and trust me our dps was shti and we still made it with 15 sec left, for example a hunter got the heroic staff and therefore got the superier achievement^^.
    Just use BoP(HoP) and bubble on tanks to remove MS debuffs, and cancel them with cancel aura macros.
    And remember that when all drakes are dead its more then fine for all healers to be more or less oom.

We released everything @ start except slate, we never released him/her.

Cleave whelps down with tanks AoE and dpsrs shouldn't do abilties like "blizzard" or anything like that, just only cleave.
    1 tank on halfus, 1 on storm + nether scion(this tank never tanks halfus). The other one tanks whelps(any tank can have aggro on them) + Time warden which we killed first and that tank took halfus after that(a paly can tank halfus with a BoP to reset stacks to then get taunted off when stacks get to around 8ish
    Last edited by Hots; 2011-03-07 at 05:06 PM.

Your release order is VERY wrong. The most dangerous ability is of course the proto-behemoth's abilities. You always release the time warden first with the whelps. If you have slate, you wait for time warden to die before you release whelps to help cope with the debuff and extra damage. You should burn heroism 10 seconds after the pull to get down 2 drakes ASAP. Trust me, you will not need it once you down all three drakes.

Time Warden -> whelps -> slate. You do absurd damage when you have all 3 drakes dead so no reason to save heroism.