Thread: Hdd 2.5''

Hdd 2.5''

Hello, I'm going to build a new computer and I was wondering if I should buy a new 3.5'' HDD or if I can just use the 2.5'' HDD from my "dead" laptop.
    Basically will I lose anything (performance-wise) by using a 2.5'' HDD instead of a 3.5'' one.

Below are the specs of the 2.5'' HDD I'm talking about:
    WD Scorpio Black 320 GB SATA 3 Gb/s Hard Drive
    Rotational Speed 7,200 RPM (nominal)
    Buffer Size 16 MB
    Average Latency 5.50 ms (nominal)
    Read Seek Time 12.0 ms
    Track-To-Track Seek Time 2.0 ms (average)

Thanks

Deleted
    Well I have a scorpio 2.5" stripped from my laptop, I use it for media storage on my desktop.
    I do not reccoment putting games on it though, It's about half the performance my WDC Black gives me (And these are dirt cheap aswell).

Deleted
    I just lay mine on top of my DVD drive, works like a charm.

Deleted
    Whats the Case you're buying with your new system? Some cases allow you to mount 2.5" HDD. Also the specs of that HDD seem fine, the real time performance of the drive is something you need to benchmark. I've not used any professional benchmarking tools in ages and cannot recommend any freeware software to do so. So apologies about this. Good luck with your new build.

Just pickup a SSD mounting kit if you can lay it flat on an existing drive.

Deleted
    thats not a bad drive at all even when 2.5", but since HDs in general are so cheap i would simply buy an even better and keep the 2.5 for storage and throw your swap file on it.