Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fire Mage optimization help please.

Hi all. I am looking for a bit of help. If you would please look at my toon on NathrezimUS(It is the same as my user name) and give me any tips you may have on Optimization for my fire raid spec. All constructive help is appreciated.

The few things i will say is about my belt is due to prices of the new buckle on my realm i will not be using it till i get my Dreamless belt in the next few days. As well as not having Access to the highest level wep enchants.
    Last edited by Magicmagnets; 2010-12-31 at 02:52 PM.

1) use real gems (blue qualitiy)
    2) get arena dagger, you only need to win 6 match per week for 2 weeks to grabb an elite weapon (or farm trashes in Blackwing descent for the boe sword)
    3) up your reputation for epic gloves and epic neck
    4) get crafts for leggs and belt
    5) walkspeed enchant on boots, even a Wotlk one

6) read this http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t110326-...ge_compendium/

7) get hit capped
    8) get haste capped
    The Haste "Soft Cap" refers to the value required to reach +12.5% Haste raid buffed.

* The soft cap with 3/3 Netherwind Presence and 5% Raid Haste Buff is: 516 Haste from gear. Due to rounding errors, you may need to have a couple more Haste rating than this ingame. Click here to see how this value is derived.

* The soft cap with 2/3 Netherwind Presence and 5% Raid Haste Buff is: 646 Haste from gear. Due to rounding errors, you may need to have a couple more Haste rating than this ingame. Click here to see how this value is derived
    9) spec Cauterize !!!!
    10) use glyphs of Pyroblast, conjure and blast wave
    11) use and abuse flasks and pots (1 before pull, one during the fight, @ 35% for execute phase or during burst phases).

there is maybe more but it might be enough at moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
    1) use real gems (blue qualitiy)
    2) get arena dagger, you only need to win 6 match per week for 2 weeks to grabb an elite weapon (or farm trashes in Blackwing descent for the boe sword)
    3) up your reputation for epic gloves and epic neck
    4) get crafts for leggs and belt
    5) walkspeed enchant on boots, even a Wotlk one

7) get hit capped
    8) get haste capped

9) spec Cauterize !!!!
    10) use glyphs of Pyroblast, conjure and blast wave
    11) use and abuse flasks and pots (1 before pull, one during the fight, at 35% for execute phase or during burst phases).

there is maybe more but it might be enough at moment.
    1) Any recommendations there?
    2)Can you link said dagger.
    3)Workin on it
    4) See 3
    5) Is it more helpfull then the hit at this point of gear I'm at?
    6)Thank you
    7) I had logged off while playin with reforges i am hit caped for raids.
    8) As I understand it i am Haste caped for a goblin
    9+10+11)Thanks

Any more input from others would be great.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ Marcellus: What need do you have for cauterize in Raids ? It is no DPS-Bonus and therefore useless when you want to improve a RAID-spec. But a nice talent for pvp nevertheless.

I am using this spec (http://wowtal.com/#k=Zwl9jU3O.a8t.mage.-Az1tv). The one unspend point can be set in either Invocation to get a damage bonus when you have to interrupt spells or Improved Flamestrike, when you have to do ae damage fast. a second point in improved flamestrike would be useless, because you already have to wait for GCD with one Point (my mage casts it in 0.9 secs, way too fast for GCD)

I, personally, wouldn't use the Blast Wave glyph because if you have to kite adds in your raid, you should use a frost-specc. I only use blast wave to support the one kiting adds and then 3 seconds is, in my opinion, enough because you can use other spells as for example Frost Nova or Ring of Frost. I use the Evocation glyph because you can help the healers, Sheep because that one is just brilliant to cc already attacked adds and Blink glyph for more travel distance.

For the last Minor Glyph i already go for SLow Fall (always useful) but that is your choice.

The last thing is reforging. I ALWAYS reforge mastery into hit because i lack a few points to be hitcapped.
    But if you have hit and mastery in an item, for example your neck, i would reforge it into crit (when you don't have the 12.5% haste softcap) because crit is a much better stat than mastery.

I hope i could help.

so long,
    Lévion
    Quote Originally Posted by miekkagoon View Post
    one year ago i lost chance to eat lunch because i was doing instance and my family ate all

1) just keep gemming the way you do it, keep your metagem active but with better quality gems.
    2 http://www.wowhead.com/item=61329 (arena) http://www.wowhead.com/item=59463 (trash loot)
    5) walk speed > anything !

im not sure why you would tell someone who needs hit to get the movement speed enchant to boots when there is a hit enchant. Na dude stick with your hit to boots.

---------- Post added 2010-12-31 at 02:12 PM ----------

ok so looking at what Marcellus was saying i question if he just started playing and if not why you would ever recomend someone get movement speed over hit as an enchant. there is no gain to it. So what if you move a normal speed your a mage if your that worried glyph into blink. Second Cauterize is an optional spec it is of no use to dps
    and IMO if you are that low then you either pulled aggro witch shouldnt happen with our dps as low as it its rite now or you were gonna die anyways and wipe. I put those points into blast wave and imporved Flamestrike so im atleste on the meeters for aoe pulls.

im using a 6/32/3 build and also putting one point into improved fire blast is also a good idea as when your impact procs its an even greater chance of you getting a HS proc also get your last point in Arcane consentration for better mana managment. nothin like a few more free fireballs during molten fury rite!!.
    Subete wa nani mo sa re, shōkyo wa subete, hakai suru koto subete, watashi wa, monsutā o, watashi wa Epyon gozen
    ZeerØ Lvl 85 Fire Mage (Eonar)

because movement speed is the most important enchant for every raid member, since... always... Magicmagnets can get hit in many other ways but movement speed is only on boots. And blink is good only on long distances since it cost a Gcd and since you can cast while moving.

yes, cauterize is definitely a DPS talent, because a dps licking the flood is not dpsing. OK you're not supposed to die, But you will. so spec it !

Mana management comes with stuff, intelligent use of free scorch and a well made evocation. you should no have any problem with this.

btw, see my spec and the way i'm gemmed / enchanted if you still wonder.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rcellus/simple

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hitcap always comes as a number 1 prio if you are gonna raid.
    Crit is the best secondary stat you can go for as Fire.

Movement speed is not that important, atleast not for me. It grants 8%(?) movement speed, and people should be able to avoid stuff as long as they are not too slow. I don't use it and do not seem to have a problem personally.
    Blink can be used in several occations where you have to move every now and then.

As for the person saying that you should use potion when the boss is at 35% health; Wouldn't you want your execute phase to be as long as possible? (This would be as long as the boss does not have an enrage timer or something that becomes unhealable after X amount of time or some similar mechanic).

Quote Originally Posted by Hallto View Post
    As for the person saying that you should use potion when the boss is at 35% health; Wouldn't you want your execute phase to be as long as possible? (This would be as long as the boss does not have an enrage timer or something that becomes unhealable after X amount of time or some similar mechanic).
    Are you suggesting he do less damage to keep the boss in execute range longer?

I think he is.
    Maybe there's something I'm missing but I would have assumed you'd want to stack your damage buffs during execute instead of killing the boss more slowly

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I think he is.
    Maybe there's something I'm missing but I would have assumed you'd want to stack your damage buffs during execute instead of killing the boss more slowly
    He's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Epian View Post
    im not sure why you would tell someone who needs hit to get the movement speed enchant to boots when there is a hit enchant. Na dude stick with your hit to boots.

---------- Post added 2010-12-31 at 02:12 PM ----------

ok so looking at what Marcellus was saying i question if he just started playing and if not why you would ever recomend someone get movement speed over hit as an enchant. there is no gain to it. So what if you move a normal speed your a mage if your that worried glyph into blink. Second Cauterize is an optional spec it is of no use to dps
    and IMO if you are that low then you either pulled aggro witch shouldnt happen with our dps as low as it its rite now or you were gonna die anyways and wipe. I put those points into blast wave and imporved Flamestrike so im atleste on the meeters for aoe pulls.

im using a 6/32/3 build and also putting one point into improved fire blast is also a good idea as when your impact procs its an even greater chance of you getting a HS proc also get your last point in Arcane consentration for better mana managment. nothin like a few more free fireballs during molten fury rite!!.
    Im not that new but I did start with WoTLK ( mind you i love this level of difficulty.) Thanks for all the help guy's keep any advice/tips you may have comin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
    10) use glyphs of Pyroblast
    If you look at logs, Living Bomb does more total damage than Pyroblast glyphed. Pyroblast is very very RNG with these low crit ratings (especially in the OP's blue gear). Living Bomb glyph would be a better way to go. Why would you glyph to boost your 3rd most damage dealing spell instead of glyphing your 2nd most damage dealing spell?

Quote Originally Posted by Hallto View Post
    Hitcap always comes as a number 1 prio if you are gonna raid.
    Crit is the best secondary stat you can go for as Fire.
    Intellect is far more superior than crit. Intellect gives sp, mana and crit. Check the Stickied Fire Mage thread here on MMO on how you should gem

Quote Originally Posted by Queal View Post
    Intellect is far more superior than crit. Intellect gives sp, mana and crit. Check the Stickied Fire Mage thread here on MMO on how you should gem
    Intellect is a secondary stat now?

i personally doubt that the movementspeed is any good anymore. assuming that without movementspeed enchant you have to move 1 scorch casting time longer each time you have to move it won't even effect your overall dps since all it does is shifting the time till your next mana conserving phase a few second to the future. the only time where this doesn't apply is the last few % of the bosses health since ideally you want to end the fight with 0 mana.

also regarding the pyroblast glyph. i think it was stated on the official forums that the instant pyroblast! doesn't benefit from neither the glyph nor the 2p setbonus so it's a complete waste to use right now.

What meta do we use? I have conflicting answers.

Until they change the Chaotic meta requir ( More blue then red gems) , you use the 54 intellect meta and 2% more mana .

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder when the fix is coming for the Meta gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicmagnets View Post
    Im not that new but I did start with WoTLK ( mind you i love this level of difficulty.) Thanks for all the help guy's keep any advice/tips you may have comin.
    your welcome Magicmagnets but i wasnt calling you nub it was marcellus i was callin nub but yea NP!! HFGL!!!

---------- Post added 2011-01-03 at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Qarling View Post
    What meta do we use? I have conflicting answers.
    I am currently using the Ember Shadow spirit Diamond it gives +54 Int plus 2% Max Mana
    but you could use the Chaotic Shadow spirit Diamond that gives +54 Crit plus 3% critical DMG
    i like the extra manna for MF but its a matter of Opinion.

oh and Marcellus no you are incorrect if you have to rely on a minimal 8% gain to movment speed to get out of stuff then your bad. you have blink your a mage and what part of 8% movement gain adds to dps maybe in a last possible effort to get some more cast time out of playing Arc but thats it.

As far as specing Cauterize i said its optional but lets look at not even a Raid boss mechanic, lets go with a Roic Boss Baron Ashbury from roic SFK. we know with this boss healing is an issue as the party needs to stay at 1/4th health the whole fight to insure healer has mana through phase 2, then lets say you get targeted with Pain and Suffering: Inflicting the target with 2260 to 2739 shadow damage every 0.5 seconds then lets not forget the party wide Calamity: Inflicting 4875 to 5125 Shadow damage on all nearby enemies every 1 second. Now that we see the dmg going on healer must get you back up but what if bad RNG happens wich can and does happen in that run, Ok so cauterize goes off saving your life now your looking at 3 possabiltys 1. your alone it proced and everyone else is dead , 2 your alive but now with the Phase 2 aoe and the burn of 12% of your Max health well now your dead again, but not to be mean ill give you your highly rare scinario of healer has some sort of wipe prevention and the tank pops CDs rite and doesnt die and now its you three then yes you win you did more dps gj. hope you learned something about Cauterize today.
    Last edited by Epian; 2011-01-03 at 04:07 PM.
    Subete wa nani mo sa re, shōkyo wa subete, hakai suru koto subete, watashi wa, monsutā o, watashi wa Epyon gozen
    ZeerØ Lvl 85 Fire Mage (Eonar)

Use 6/32/3 for now. Cauterize is for people who can't run from the fire and wipe @ Omnitron.