View Poll Results: Are your parent's like this? And do you agree with what they are doing?

Voters
15. This poll is closed
  • They are exactly like that, but i don't agree with them!

3 20.00%
  • They aren't like that, but i don't agree with them.

3 20.00%
  • They are exactly like that, but i agree with them!

1 6.67%
  • They aren't like that, but i agree with them.

5 33.33%
  • Kinda?

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Angry My parent's are too much for me. (Parent's Post)

This will be quite a long post, so bear with me (and please dont flame or anything, i really want this post up so i can discuss with people):

I'm 19, on my way to 20 next year.

1- The school system here (portugal) is terrible (imo, ofc). You have the 1st to the 12th grade, and from the 10th to the 12th grade, grades really matter, since their GPA determine if you enter college. And on that time, if you flunk one chair, you can keep on going as long as you do what you flunked (ie.: I flunked in the 11th grade on quemistry but i already got my 12th grade).
    This last year, i tried to take quemistry again. I did well on the going of the year, finished with a decent grade, but i flunked on the last exam. I went too nervous, and though i knew everything that came in the exam, i just blew it. I had a second chance at it, but yet agian, complete fail.

2- I dont play many games nowadays (WoW-wise, CS, CSS, GW, CoD, etc), but im a casual player that eventually play's a bit wow. Some dailies here, some random HC's there, whatever. At max, i play 1 hour a day, 2 at best.

3- I smoked pot for the first time of my life. We only live once, and though i already hated the stuff, i wanted to try it, as i do want to try everything at least once in my life. I hated it and swore on my Electric Guitar's grave that i would never smoke it again. I puked twice, everything was spinning. Bleh.

What do i want to say with all this?

Basically, to talk about my parent's and to know if it's normal.

As of my age, i believe that everyone MUST make mistakes in their lives, severe, or otherwise, and learn from them.
    I'm not going to college this year like my parent's wanted. I hate the course i'm at and i'm too late to change it (i only hate it because of what i flunked, chemistry). And i don't see myself passing it, ever. I just plain hate it. But my parent's dont understand this, they rather rant on and on on "YOUR NEVER GONNA BE ANYONE", and along those lines.

I may not be the best person in the world, but let me talk a bit about myself:

I'm humble, I hate to feel like i'm a quarter stone or a rock in the shoe of anyone. I take nothing from no one, i rather die in a gutter than to accept to go to someone else's house to leech room, water, what ever, to be a nuisance.
    I'm an honorable person, if i say "i will try, i will do it", i actually try and do it, even if it kill's me. I'm kind, and i always take care of my next of kin (friend's, i don't like anyone in my family except my brother and my grandma).
    ^ This is psychologically speaking

I'm also considerably smart, and i adapt very well to about every situation. If i have to get up to work, i might have only 2 or 3 hours of sleep out of 2 or 3 days, but i WILL go to work and i will do it right (i dont got any work... yet... but i do know that i can do that). I have the normal pc skills (word, excel, etc), i have something a liiiittle more advanced-ish, like building PC's from scratch, system-restoration, etc. I also know my way through Photoshop and i already done some publishing work. (AND! i learned English way faster than my native language. I had the universities equivalant to the first year when i was 12)
    ^ Those are my skills

What happen's with my parent's?

They still live in Salazar's era (a dictator here in portugal, prior to the Democratic revolution). They think i should have a troop-like hair cut, study 24\7, have a school boy's look (like AC\DC's Angus Young, except way less perverted). The first three topics, the pot, school and Video-Games... They disagree with them all, for them i should have entered college 2 year's ago, i never should try drugs, i shouldn't play because it doesn't help me in anything.

What?! People aren't ALLOWED TO MAKE MISTAKES?!

Drugs are bad, sure, i hear that all the time, but i want to experience WHY they are bad. Is it THAT stupid to want to feel in the flesh why its bad? In my opinion, no it's not.

I flunked school twice, not because i was dumb but because i couldn't control my nerves, why cant they ******* understand that?

And i don't play that much, i just spend allot of time in front of the pc talking to people, making wallpaper's in Photoshop.

SO WHY DO THEY TREAT ME LIKE A KID?!

I have yet much to learn, i'm looking for a job (though my parent's said no one would ever hire me, i already got 2 job offers that pay reasonably well), i swore that i would never do drugs again and only stick to smoking tobacco and i don't play much. I know life is hard and it will only get harder, but i WANT to go through those hardships, I WANT TO FEEL ON MY SKIN THE BURN THAT MAKES US HUMAN. I don't want my life easy like most rich snob's, i have no intention of skipping anything hard, i want to fight and be a man.

I'm on my way to get a job (already said that) and i'm going to split a house with a friend. Half the expenses, food, electricity, etc. I'm (finally) going to be independent and no more curfews (yes, almost 20 and i got curfews.)

So the reason to all this, now that you know the mess with my parent's im in, tell me:

AM I THE ONLY GOD ******* ONE?!

Excuse my language, i hope that i'm not breaking any rules. i saw allot of people in allot of post's that really posted the swearing, so i assume that using the ****** is alright?

And though i'm agnostic, i got a question for Christians: "honor thy father and thy mother", one of the ten commandments. If I've been good all my life, never hurt anyone etc, will i still "go to hell" for leaving home w\o my parent's consent? I'm asking this out of pure curiosity, i don't want to derail the threat.

Just a note: i like how most votes are from people that dont got this kind of parent's and agree with them.
    Last edited by mmoc0cc82eba6d; 2011-08-12 at 10:40 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I skipped this whole wall of text to tell you that you are still a kid... also you should divorce your parents if they are driving you mad!
    Other than that... Move out if you want to live by your own life decisions, work your own job, finish your own education... and in due time you will grow up to be a man.
    That's basically it... unless your parents are personally holding you by the hand and giving you access to the career path they want you to take, you are free to follow your own and do the mistakes all humans are do growing up. and I'll just go with "Meh" as my poll post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you mean "chemistry" instead of "quemistry"?

Quote Originally Posted by methanar View Post
    yo dood, im not sure but it may be how itz spll'd in portugese,

also, i see ur sig,cwatididabove?
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

SO WHY DO THEY TREAT ME LIKE A KID?!

I have yet much to learn, i'm looking for a job (though my parent's said no one would ever hire me, i already got 2 job offers that pay reasonably well), i swore that i would never do drugs again and only stick to smoking tobacco and i don't play much. I know life is hard and it will only get harder, but i WANT to go through those hardships, I WANT TO FEEL ON MY SKIN THE BURN THAT MAKES US HUMAN. I don't want my life easy like most rich snob's, i have no intention of skipping anything hard, i want to fight and be a man.

I'm on my way to get a job (already said that) and i'm going to split a house with a friend. Half the expenses, food, electricity, etc. I'm (finally) going to be independent and no more curfews (yes, almost 20 and i got curfews.)
    Good , your on your way to be a man. Life experience is the only way to learn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by methanar View Post
    In Portuguese, CHemistry is spelled "quimica", its force of habit.

Well, to be honest I'd sympathize with you if it weren't for the fact that you have no drive to finish Chemistry.

Most things in life don't necessarily take great skills to do, just the perseverance. You need to have that drive to succeed. You're essentially in a rut because you want to be right now, there's nothing holding you back but yourself.

You need to just wake up one day, grit your teeth, and bust your ass in that class.

EVERYONE has something they don't like doing, but sometimes you just need to learn to suck it up and do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL OP just be thankful your not my kid because at 19 years of age you would do one of the following 1.Be in Collage 2.Join the Military 3.Get a Job and help pay bills around the house or you would be out on your ass.It is your parents house they make the rules period end of story.Also a big LOL at pukeing from Pot that is just too damn funny.
    You try and you fail,but the only true failure is when you quit trying.

TO OP:

Dude. You're a freaking kid. By the time i was 17 i was already earning my own money and paid my bills. You're 20 and you all worked up because you cannot finish school cause your big bad parents freak you out. Get real dude, you have the privilege of getting to study with no job up to 20 YO. If you don't want to follow a career, then find something you want to do and do it. Just don't be there complaining about life when your parent's pay for your everything and you just LEECH their money.

If you failed chemistry a second time does that mean that you still have not graduated high school? I think you parents just want the best for you. As someone else said, things like high school just take a little bit of effort, not much else. If you’re as smart as you say you are, high school courses should not be an issue. Maybe you should reassess your priorities. Of course, you’re 19; you should set your own standards. Although I don’t believe a high school dropout (if so) is going to have an easy life for the next 60 years or so.

Deleted
    You're not alone OP, my parents are the same. Live away from them but visit them often. That way, they can't set rules on you, and you keep close to your family!

10+ Year Old Account
    I laughed at the bit about you puking from weed bahaha

And why are you angry? You moved out, and like you said your independent. No worries.

Also you aren't gonna go to Hell for having drama about your parents. That part made me laugh hysterically.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamatayan View Post
    LOL OP just be thankful your not my kid because at 19 years of age you would do one of the following 1.Be in Collage 2.Join the Military 3.Get a Job and help pay bills around the house or you would be out on your ass.It is your parents house they make the rules period end of story.Also a big LOL at pukeing from Pot that is just too damn funny.
    that's why i want to leave home once i get a job, smartass.

and you find it funny? good. as an anarchist, i applaud at you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsilver View Post
    I'm also considerably smart, and i adapt very well to about every situation. If i have to get up to work, i might have only 2 or 3 hours of sleep out of 2 or 3 days, but i WILL go to work and i will do it right (i dont got any work... yet... but i do know that i can do that). I have the normal pc skills (word, excel, etc), i have something a liiiittle more advanced-ish, like building PC's from scratch, system-restoration, etc. I also know my way through Photoshop and i already done some publishing work. (AND! i learned English way faster than my native language. I had the universities equivalant to the first year when i was 12)
    ^ Those are my skills
    If you don't have work, how do you knkow you can do that?

Also, bear in mind, parents are all part of a conspiracy theory to take over the universe with their oppresive manners.

But realize, without them, you wouldn't be alive. For 19 years, they've taken care of you. They've fed you, they've paid your tuition, they've bought you clothes, etc. One day, when you're a parent, you'll probably have the same expectations for your kids.

@OP: Either finish school and go to college or get a job, no point complaining, they are telling you what you are trying to say you want to do here.... You're 19, not 12. They treat you like a kid because you're acting like one, I guess. Sure, mistakes are meant to be made... But school > purposely going looking for said mistakes.

TL;DR for everyone else ~ OP is complaining that his parents want him to do something with his life because he's mooching off them at 19. He says he's "considerably smart" yet continues to flunk "quemistry"(Chemistry?).
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2011-08-12 at 10:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerfish View Post
    If you failed chemistry a second time does that mean that you still have not graduated high school? I think you parents just want the best for you. As someone else said, things like high school just take a little bit of effort, not much else. If you’re as smart as you say you are, high school courses should not be an issue. Maybe you should reassess your priorities. Of course, you’re 19; you should set your own standards. Although I don’t believe a high school dropout (if so) is going to have an easy life for the next 60 years or so.
    I believe they want the best, i just dont believe that stressing me out to make me get what they want isn't the way. And there are thing's that people just plain don't understand, and chemistry is one of them. for two years, ive been "busting my ass" at it. even if i don't understand everything and i get just enough to pass, the nerves i get on the final exam because of my parent's is just too much for me to concentrate.

it may not look like it, but i do like my parent's. i just cant put up with them and their attitudes.

Lol anarchy.

Ye, gl on that boy.

What did pot have to do with anything is what i'm trying to figure out. And as for the Chemistry part, i freaked out about my final exam because the teachers stressed how amazingly difficult it was suppose to be. Having a bad teacher the entire year didn't help, but all I needed to do was spend sometime studying what the teacher couldn't teach. If you put time into studying as you should with a difficult topic then you would've been fine. And fyi, i guarantee you smoked too much, but let me not derail the thread.
    Last edited by wilzax; 2011-08-12 at 10:21 PM.
    'murica

10+ Year Old Account
    Why did you post this on a WoW related site's forum? What do you expect, OP? Are you really going to listen to advices that random people give on the Internet? Well, THAT, would be childish.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Zoth View Post
    If you don't have work, how do you knkow you can do that?

Also, bear in mind, parents are all part of a conspiracy theory to take over the universe with their oppresive manners.

But realize, without them, you wouldn't be alive. For 19 years, they've taken care of you. They've fed you, they've paid your tuition, they've bought you clothes, etc. One day, when you're a parent, you'll probably have the same expectations for your kids.
    I know all that. and i know i can because i often do that for school. i stay up late studying and wake up 2-3 hours later. and if im getting up to get paid later, the more fired up ill be.

Also, i know they did all that, but bear in mind that i dint ask for anything like that, or even to be here for that matter. i could start talking a little deeper about myself, but i would just be called emo, because i have a darker\worst way to look at life.