Talking Shadow priests need to spec in to mastery?....

Can some one help me out here. Are Shadow priests the only class that has to "spec" in to specific talents in order to be able to use their mastery?....

I'm trying to think of another class that has to but i can't. This, to me, kinda feels like a disadvantage.

now say if the mastery actually involved "your SW:P and Mind Flay have x/y% change to proc shadow orbs" that could leave that talent space open for something more exciting... And perhaps a talent that is less passive?

Spread your thoughts on my canvas of riddles and quizzicles. =D

Deleted
    I'm afraid that I'm missing the point of this thread, which talent are you discussing?

10+ Year Old Account
    erm .. i dont see where this is coming from , the mastery for a shadow priest is an extra 1.5% damage ( p/p ) on your shadow orbs. Its not linked with any talents or skills

Shadow Orbs is not a talent, it's a passive ability you get for spec'ing into the Shadow tree, what are you talking about?

We don't spec into our mastery, other than choosing the Shadow tree, which is how every mastery in the game works. We can spec into increasing the chance for Shadow Orbs to proc, but that's about it.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    We don't spec into our mastery, other than choosing the Shadow tree, which is how every mastery in the game works. We can spec into increasing the chance for Shadow Orbs to proc, but that's about it.
    Ahh, this is where I was getting confused, cheers for the insight =D

if you dont pick up 2/2 in Harnessed Shadows then yOu only have a 10% chance to proc orbs from your Mind Flay and SWP . go ahead and skip them 2 talent points and watch your up time On shadow orbs drop like a rock... That is what the op is talking about because not only is mastery are worst stat we have to waste 2 talent points to make it not any worse than it already is
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

Deleted
    use those talentpoints cause u need the shadoworbs to gain the 10% extra shadowdps buff. but the masteryrating itself in the game is for a shadowpriest a bit useless

Quote Originally Posted by draenoio View Post
    but the masteryrating itself in the game is for a shadowpriest a bit useless
    Be careful with the word useless.....perhaps it's effectiveness isn't as strong for shadowpriests at the moment due to gear restrictions and low item levels. Lets see 3 or 4 months from now if mastery is still "useless" as you put it!

mastery on a lot of classes is new and probably doesnt work right, the shadow priest is one of them. blizzard has already said they believe damage might be low for shadow priest class, i still enjoy playing as im a big believer that blizz will fix and not just leave hunters at the top again.
    i hope it wont take a few months.

Deleted
    Worst thing about my mastery is the friggin' RNG. I went throught first 5-15% of multiple raid bosses before getting first shadow orb. I had the empowered shadow drop off at the worst possible moments. Uptime of empowered shadow on my last Al'akir kill was 75%... It's damn infuriating.

I wish they gave us one CD ability to get a set of orbs quickly, to at least fix the problem of initial orbs not proccing. Something along the lines "4 min CD, instant, you get a full set of 3 orbs to use however you wish". That would fix SO much, at least for me...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Worst thing about my mastery is the friggin' RNG. I went throught first 5-15% of multiple raid bosses before getting first shadow orb. I had the empowered shadow drop off at the worst possible moments. Uptime of empowered shadow on my last Al'akir kill was 75%... It's damn infuriating.

I wish they gave us one CD ability to get a set of orbs quickly, to at least fix the problem of initial orbs not proccing. Something along the lines "4 min CD, instant, you get a full set of 3 orbs to use however you wish". That would fix SO much, at least for me...
    I agree, I feel that my DPS is just based on when I get my shadow orbs.
    Starting my rotation and doing 3 mind flays and a VT refresh before getting a shadow orb is just pathetic.

Our DPS atm is based on Shadow Orbs RNG and I hate it.
    Either increase the chance of a proc or give us a CD giving us 3 shadow orbs.

Or to make our rotation interesting; Give us a similair ability to a warlocks Life Tap; Converting Mana into a Shadow Orb.
    That would make our rotation alot more interesting and you have ot think before using it.

Mastery should increase our chance of proccing a shadow orb , that would kinda solve the issue. The damage it adds should also be drastically increased. Even if they doubled it , it would still not be near haste in terms of benefit to us.

each point of mastery increases the chance to proc a shadow orb by X amount. done deal.
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

Quote Originally Posted by jonish View Post
    Mastery should increase our chance of proccing a shadow orb , that would kinda solve the issue. The damage it adds should also be drastically increased. Even if they doubled it , it would still not be near haste in terms of benefit to us.

each point of mastery increases the chance to proc a shadow orb by X amount. done deal.
    The problem with that is that it would then be possible to hardcap mastery. While I do agree that the chance to proc orbs needs to be increased, that isn't the ideal way to do it.

Deleted
    Having had my empowered shadows fall off at the start of heroism on atramdes, and not proccing the next shadow orb until after heroism I was nerd raging just a little bit.

The idea of a cooldown to give us orbs is a very good one, I'd point in the direction of dark archangel, just add a: 'instantly gives 3 orbs' to the cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Twizzlers View Post
    The problem with that is that it would then be possible to hardcap mastery. While I do agree that the chance to proc orbs needs to be increased, that isn't the ideal way to do it.
    well , the only way to fix the current issue is to give us something that increases the chance for shadow orbs to proc, ALOT, and if you do not like the idea of the mastery increasing the proc chance then that emphasizes the shittiness of the actual damage shadow orbs themselves add. Mastery is godlike for feral as an example since I have a feral druid yet it is unworthy of being taken on even a single piece of gear if it is avoidable as a Spriest. that is a big big problem to me. It seems to be a running theme with all dot classes in actuality.
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

Deleted
    Hmm. Im too lasy to read all the things that u are typing in here
    Soo. As a shadow priest "pvp" would u go for haste, mastery, crit?

Our mastery sucks, I keep waiting on the day they over buffed the crap out of it and then i QQ because of all the mastery gear I let get DEd