Thread: Mana. My job?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    As someone who has been a healer of all classes for a long long time I can tell you that we really appreciate a tank that notices his party, and that waits til everyone is ready to go. This doesn't have to be typed out in a "I need mana" or "are you ready" kinda way. Its easy to tell when a healer is ready. Everyone is at full health and the healer is not sitting down drinking

It's also just a glimpse at the healers mana-bar which takes 0.2 seconds.

In addition knowing your encounter, how hard a certain pack is, will let you know how much mana is needed. but it is the healers job to not slack on drinking, so you can just follow the above tip and you'll always know when your healer is ready.

Another thing that's nice is if your tank notices if you are there before pulling and not round the corner up the stairs with full mana cos that's where you sat down to drink after last fight before everyone else took off

I'd also like to mention that things are certainly different with this expansion and for reference in heroics I like to always be at 100% before a pull cos you never know what might go wrong with the cc / interrupts / silencing and before you know it you have to panic heal and mana becomes very vital

PS) please don't stamina stack
    Last edited by Aylasita; 2011-01-02 at 02:46 AM.

1)Enter dungeon
    2)Put healer on focus
    3)...
    4)Profit
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Kael'thas and Kil'Jaeden are actually quite similar. For one, both names start with the letter K, which is short for...kuhraaaaazy. Second, both had a hard-on for the color red and blood-elf girls. Third, they both were defeated at the Sunwell. Lastly, they both hate people who make threads comparing things that are as different as bananas and grape drink.

Deleted
    One simple thing to solve your problems. Ask before the pull if people are ready, or even simpler, do a ready check.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    When I tank, I like to check the healers mana simply because I dont want to wipe... It's nice to assume he will call it out, but I prefer to be in control and check anyway.

Party frames have manabars, it's not that far to look.
    This is the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorados View Post
    One simple thing to solve your problems. Ask before the pull if people are ready, or even simpler, do a ready check.
    Well the thing is, its acutally quite annoying after some runs when tanks ask at any pull if you are ready (from a healer alt PoV). Whats so hard on checking the mana of the healer while you tank ? my mana > 50% and you pull trash in not aoe manner, go for it. My mana > 80% go for a boss directly. My mana <25% you might want to take it slow and also you will see if I pop my mana cds so that i will have more mana than beforeyou pulled them two roaming trashmobs.
    The concept is really not hard if you think of it imo.
    This concept involves ofc not fully incompetent players and or very badly geard tanks/healers or dps.
    Yes dps is quite an interesting variable since higher dps >>> shorter fights >>> easier on mana for the healer.
    Just when you see your first pulls of the instance, you can see on your recount(dmg meter of choice) how your group is doing, how your healer is doing with his mana and how much you can deal with in packs of mobs or a need of cc.

If you are using a Scrolling Combat text, it will also tell you what heals the healer is using and hence you can judge how the quality of your healer is, which also helps you in coordinating that.

I hope the later lines helped alil.
    Last edited by chuck123; 2011-01-02 at 02:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Kael'thas and Kil'Jaeden are actually quite similar. For one, both names start with the letter K, which is short for...kuhraaaaazy. Second, both had a hard-on for the color red and blood-elf girls. Third, they both were defeated at the Sunwell. Lastly, they both hate people who make threads comparing things that are as different as bananas and grape drink.

As a frequent heroic healer, I have to say its really not challenging to say "mana" if you're going to want a break after the pull. You should know well before the pull ends whether or not you'll need a break, and can type that during a basic heal or big heal cast time.

It really all depends on the healer you get, though, some of them still haven't gotten used to cataclysm, and don't understand that not everyone needs to be topped off at all times. I'd say start off as you normally do, mark each pull and then go, and take time to loot and mark again before you pull once more, and if you notice your healer asking you to stop for mana frequently, make it a habit to check his pool before each pull. If not, let him worry about it (and feel good, he's probably not terrible )

Even if you were recklessly chain pulling, wotlk-style, it's only your fault if you don't listen when the healer says stop.

you should take a quick look at mana before pulling, and if you have a halfway decent ui it should be easy, and no it doesn't need to be at 100%. However, it's also the healers job to immediately drink upon leaving combat. when i see healers standing around, i assume they're good.

its ours job. both healer and tank.

its stupid to pull as fast as possible nowadays because you can get combat bugged still preventing from drinking IMMEDIATELY like guy above said. if the healer's moving toward the next pack its safe to assume he's ready.

All you have to do is glance over every now and then to see if the healers mana is good. It's not THAT difficult.

In a word: yes.

If one is initiating a pull, typically one ensures the participants are ready before doing so.

I always check healer mana. That's MY life insurance, so the more the better. How is this even a real question or issue?

Healers should always mention. But at the same time tanks should always check. As some others pointed out, it's very easy to see mana bars on the party frames, and a good player, regardless of role, should always be aware of their fellow party members. Anyways the point is, it's called team work for a reason. Work together on this.

How fucking difficult is it to look at their nameplate and see how low their mana is? Or to look and see if they're sitting and drinking?

Quit being lazy and wait for the guy keeping you from dying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Having played both tank and healer, I'd say as a tank you should be keeping an eye on the healer's mana and don't start pulling if they look low (<50% is low) BUT it is completely their responsibility to ask you to stop if they need.

Well as a healer if I'm sitting down drinking you prob don't want to pull. Esp not run out of range and pull... If I'm standing around with HoTs rolling on you, keep going.

Before you pull it is your job as a tank to check that:
    1) The healer is present.
    2) The healer has mana.

It is your job to survive, and you cannot survive without a healer, can you? It's not like it's hard anyways, Blizzard's raid frames can display mana and if you're used to Grid like me, there's an addon called GridManaBars. Don't pull until everyone's ready, preparation is half the battle.

As a healer I don't call out for MBs.

I'll either sit on the floor after a pull or I'll jump around spamming water shield on myself. If you don't see me sit, then that's the tank's problem and he'll probably die.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.