Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I as a tank like to tell folks what target that have at the beginning of the run. but if i forget I do always tell them when i do mark whats what. Just to me it is common courtesy in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Xunae View Post

is there some kind of new expectation to just cc a random mark rather than the group leader telling you what he expects?

/end rant

I've actually seen this a lot while healing. There are tanks out there who seem to mark every mob in a pack and as soon as they are done they pull and AoE tank it all. Maybe some people think the marks are some sort of "debuff" they can put on mobs and it will do stuff automagicly.

as a rogue i usually call out what mark i'm going to sap. if no one is marking i mark my sap target.

if for some reason another cc class is obsessed with my mark target, i say i'll sap a different one. easy shit...

marking and cc'ing doesn't need to be all on the tanks.

although if the tank is going to mark everything, he should take the 20 seconds at the beginning to say what mark is what.

on my server it's basicly

moon = sheep
    purple diamond = fear
    blue aquare = trap
    circle = hex

atleast so it seems still he should have told ya

This discussion can go both ways, imo the tank was moronic for not taking 5 seconds to explain which mark is what, ontop of that consecrating on the mobs so you can't cc at all. Though people can say "You should have said you got (place mark name here) for cc it would then be avoided."

Have never ran into these things though because I do guild runs with the same peeps and I already know my mark.

Depends on the people heh.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    When someone puts up a bunch of marks, just say something like I'll cc the moon or w/e. You don't need someone to tell you what to do, you do have a brain of your own (hopefully)...

Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    on my server it's basicly

moon = sheep
    purple diamond = fear
    blue aquare = trap
    circle = hex

atleast so it seems still he should have told ya
    I believe Sheep = moon, Square = Trap, Skull/X = 1st/2nd are pretty common amongst all servers, but the others differ wildly.

Personally I go with Triangle = Hex/Bind Ele (aka Shaman), Diamond = Fear/Banish (aka Warlock), Circle = Sap or MC, depending on your group comp, and Star = in case you need another mark (i.e. 2 sheeps or Fear and Banish or whatnot)

Deleted
    I suppose you were in a pug, so there were no rules as to what symbol means what kind of cc or whatever. Communicate: Ask nicely. If the other guy refuses to give you a satisfying answer in a polite manner, vote kick him. If you care about que times, join a guild that does something together or simply play something else. Social game, end of story.

To expect PuGs to CC on their own is a bit of a stretch, but this is how I play with my guild and friends.

Take some initiative. Claim a mark, and hell, even mark your Hex target yourself as long as the tank agrees.

A group that has to communicate about the little things, is not a very efficient group.

- What was really stopping you from yelling out 'I'm Hexing Circle!'?
    Last edited by Cowt; 2011-01-03 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknot View Post
    I am a tank. I get beat on so others may live and kill the thing that is beating on me. In the words of charles Barkley I am not a ROLE MODEL nor am I a leader.

I dont want to be a leader and there is no rule that says I have to be the leader.

CCing is up to the CCing class. We are a team and I hope my teammates do as I attempt to do and adjust for each other. If there is a mob that needs to be CCd CC it. If the group is going well and there needs to be no CC then dont CC.

I always let the healer know it is their choice if CC is required.
    You are neither responsible for nor required to mark CC-targets. But you are the only one who knows what target ist getting beat on first. You know when you press your charge/hammer/lolgrip/whatsoever. You know best how you will position the mobs and what AOEs you will be using when.

While I agree that there is a responsibility for everyone, the tank is the most suitable for putting up marks. Again, if you're too lazy then let somebody else do it, but don't expect that several CCs in one group will perfectly align without marks.

Since everyone and their mother's goldfish have their own opinion on what mark should be what, the tank should be specific.

In our group, we always have 2 mages and a hunter, then myself healing (disc priest) and my fiance tanking (dk). for us it's cube for freezing trap, moon (blue banana) for monkey, and circle for sheep. If there's ever undead, I just shackle one. But we're also all on vent and the healer and tank are sitting in the same room.

In a random, if you're the only one with CC capabilities, and a mark goes up other than skull, assume that's your cc target. If there's more than 1 person there who can cc the mobs, just ask the tank. If the tank pulls and doesn't explain, it's on him imo. If anything, the healer should be screaming and smacking the tank upside the head since mana is so precious these days

Deleted
    Since he never said what to CC, dodged the question from the mage instead of giving a direct answer, and charged in without giving anyone a moment's notice to understand his orders - he was in the wrong. Either ask for CC proper, or don't expect CC at all. Don't just say "cc something" and then blame everyone else because it wasn't done the way you want it to. That goes for everyone, tank or not. Furthermore, my point is basically proven by his party raging and flaming you instead of admitting something was unclear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
    if you can cc, do it. I agree that the leader doesn't have to mark etc. since heroics take long enough as it is. just cc anything as soon as he pulls or when something is loose.
    I disagree with the CC anything when the tank pulls. When I tank, I have as much reason for not asking for CC as I do asking for CC. 9/10 if some cc's an unmarked target when I pull, it either makes the pull take longer than it should, or makes my job of picking up crap harder. Having my just silenced caster get chimera shot is very annoying.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll post the marks I'm used to:

Skull, X - 1st 2nd
    Circle - Root, Hibernate
    Square - Trap, Hex
    Moon - Sheep
    Purple - Fear, Banish
    Star - Shackle. MC,
    Triangle - Hex or 3rd

I know I'm missing a bunch but that's all I can think of. Usually, for raids, it's laid out at the start of a raid. Assigning an icon to in individual and they're responsible for that target. It also depends on group makeup, especially in 5-10mans.

You absolutely should be told which mark is for you. Different tanks will use different marks for each specific CC and expecting you to know which is which without being told is just plain stupid on their part. Some tanks are just plain dumb anyway. The other day I had one say-- "Hunter, sleep the skull". I said "What? sleep? Skull?". There was no answer and he just pulled. Luckily it was just in a regular dungeon and we didn't even come close to a wipe.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

I disagree, unless the dps take responsibility for marking their own targets, or someone else is more familiar with the group, it is the tank's responsibility to control all targets on a given pull, which means if no one else will assign CC targets and you are unable to tank them all, assign CC. You are the only one who knows if you are comfortable taking that damage, positioning them correctly and whatnot, so unless there are other mitigating factors, do your job of controlling the mobs and assign CC.

Also, if the tank fails to put up marks for CC, suggest a CC icon for yourself and the spell you can use to the group if you are pugging. For example, I can Repentance Star if you mark it on the pull. That said, if the tank marks a pull and then doesn't wait to explain the markings, then he or she is an idiot.

i dont wait for anyone to mark. i stealth in and sap right after i get out of combat from the last pull
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

The tank seems to be a retard but I would have assumed the sheep was star and the hex was triangle based off those marks.

If CC is not clearly assigned, you either wind up with none or with frozen sheep. I have seen both many times.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    Every decent tank currently out there does two things by my experience:

1) At the beginning of the instance explains desired kill order markings and assigns CC marks. "My kill order is Skull, X, and Star. Mage sheeps Moon, Shaman hexes Triangle, Paladin reps Diamond and Druid roots the Orange Nipple/Shield/Circle/Condom thingy." Many have a macro set up just to put this out there at the beginning. Many also keybind their marks or have an addon that allows them to do so very quickly and on the fly.

2) Continuously marks the targets that they wish CC'd or killed in the order they wish them killed in. For EVERY PULL.

Hey, they are tanks. Marking the pull is part of their jobs. If they can't adjust to that returned mindset, they are probably gonna suck (HELLO, Wrath!) I would advise leaving early if you are a healer or grunting it out long enough to not take a deserter penalty on top of your 30 minute queue if you are DPS.