Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Bandaging > Deathstrike for dps?

Looks like Deathstrike is weak enough to be overtaken by bandages as a method of emergency self-healing for DPS. Especially for Unholy where DS eats runes from 2 strikes instead of 1.

Dense Embersilk heals for 35k over 8 seconds, prevents all actions from the player's character but leaves you with a full set of runes at the end. Deathstrike will be healing 8.5-9k per strike for the average DPS, eating Obliterates if you're Frost and forcing you to do Deathstrike+Blood Strike as Unholy.

Atm it looks like bandages are the best option both for healing AND keeping your DPS up at the same time

Deleted
    One hit in combat will deactivate bandages.

I am very unhappy with DK selfhealing. Back in wrath it was the one thing that attracted me to the class in the first place. Now it seems so gimped. Yes I know lichborn and deathcoil heal. And like you said DS heals for around 7k in my current pvp gear, but since I seem to be able to only get say 1 of these off every 30 seconds while still trying to maintain a damage output it feels very wrong.

I have an 85 warrior 45-50k victory rush are normal, and the healz from being crit seem to happen all the time. DKs will be in a bad place one resil peaks at 4-5k in this season I think as they seem to be at the bottom of the barrel in self healz with anything other then blood spec. And once survivability is kicked up with mucho grande resil and burst doesnt come as hard it will be down to who has the most healz in their pocket.

Deathstrike is built for tanking, not DPS.

it was retooled for tanking and blizz said they may fix it so other specs can get more use out of it

Blizz is aware and has said they want to make it more useful as an emergency heal for Frost/Unholy DPSers.

Sadly, I believe you may be on to something.. you need like 2 ticks (if it ticks each second, i'm not sure) of the bandage to equal the healing of 1 DS. Fortunately for Unholy, a good portion of your dps (ghoul) will still be continuing while you bandage. If you time your bandage so that your runes are on CD, you'll lose even less dps.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Just to let everyone know they are going to buff both Frost and Unholy presence to get additional healing from death strike when you have diseases on the target come next patch so it heals a decent amount more, Blizzard specifically said its not healing enough. However its still better than bandaging becasue it can be done without being interrupted. This change will also make it so it does not effect DK tank heals and make them ridiculous.
    Smile

If this is related to PVE (you mentioned DPS, so I assume so), you shouldn't NEED t oDS, you have IBF, AMS, SOMETIMES AMZ, Ghoul Sac. How much freaking damage are you taking while DPSing? Stop pulling aggro.

Just to let everyone know they are going to buff both Frost and Unholy presence to get additional healing from death strike when you have diseases on the target come next patch so it heals a decent amount more, Blizzard specifically said its not healing enough. However its still better than bandaging becasue it can be done without being interrupted. This change will also make it so it does not effect DK tank heals and make them ridiculous.
    Unless it's specifically ONLY Frost and Unholy that can get the additional benefit, the change WILL benefit DK tanks. For a start, they use Outbreak every minute, which with 2-3 points in longer diseases is a long time where DS will be better. Also if it's a significant buff, then applying diseases may again become the norm for DK tanks, and then you might have "fixed" the other 2, but massively buffed tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerjesus View Post
    Source please?

My favorite button this expansion has been Death Pact.

Buuut yeah... I miss DS from WOTLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Needonboots View Post
    If this is related to PVE (you mentioned DPS, so I assume so), you shouldn't NEED t oDS, you have IBF, AMS, SOMETIMES AMZ, Ghoul Sac. How much freaking damage are you taking while DPSing? Stop pulling aggro.

Unless it's specifically ONLY Frost and Unholy that can get the additional benefit, the change WILL benefit DK tanks. For a start, they use Outbreak every minute, which with 2-3 points in longer diseases is a long time where DS will be better. Also if it's a significant buff, then applying diseases may again become the norm for DK tanks, and then you might have "fixed" the other 2, but massively buffed tanks.
    Hence why I said only Frost and Unholy presence. It will not be a buff for tanks as to they HAVE to be in Blood presence to to their job effectively.
    Smile

Deleted
    the amount of halfassed trollcraft is amazing.
    if there is any kind of movement or AE dmg (where the hell does a dps get his dmg anyway?) the bandage is useless.
    also 8 seconds of doing nothing against sacrificing a strong for a weak attack (runes and GCDs) will never be better for dps, never never never never. no autoattack, no styles, no runic income.
    + there is a 1min CD where you cant do shit.

there is the information you just discarded.

bandage = crap in 85-95% of the cases

Quote Originally Posted by Anthraxxxis View Post
    Deathstrike is built for tanking, not DPS.
    ^what he said, dps have their own spells, use death pact.
    World PVP and Arenas Are Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebes View Post
    ^what he said, dps have their own spells, use death pact.
    Too bad Blizzard already stated they are buffing it for both frost and unholy becasue they think it does way too little. They also said they are addressing the lack of DK mobility in PvP.
    Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stirgid View Post
    One hit in combat will deactivate bandages.
    And one tick of a bandage is about as much as death strike.

Death Strike is nerfed for UH and frost, but blizz told they will fix it. Currently yes, bandages > DS.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    Death Strike is nerfed for UH and frost, but blizz told they will fix it. Currently yes, bandages > DS.
    Even after a buff, a bandage will still probably be better HPS than death strike at less lost DPS, the trade being of course that you need to be in a relatively safe place to bandage yourself.

You should be doing both at the right times. Downtime in the fight is a perfectly reasonable time to bandage, during a random AoE attack death strike will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    No DS is better than bandages in almost all cases, and health pots are better still than both options becasue there is no stopping when you use it. My DK doesnt even have first aid i say its BS I prefer the 200g for a stack of embersilk.
    Smile

10+ Year Old Account
    so, for 35k healing you will need about what, 3 deathstrikes?
    deathstrikes themselves do damage (even if it may be low compared to other abilities) and you will do autoattacks plus use you other runes.
    in 8 sec of bandaging you will lose about 3 autohits, 7 GCDs and a huge amount of runic power that you would get by using abilities.

so no. Bandages are only for situations where you stand around nevertheless, because when you really need the heal, you will be in a situation where you take damage, so you could not even bandage. If you are on the mob and NEED that heal, deathstrike.