Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Mage forum guys. Both Ret and Fire specs have issues now and Blizzard is looking into them, but having a pissing contest over who is 'more RNG' here does no good. Let's stay focused on the issues of fire mage RNG please.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammythefox View Post
    The point is its not possible, its common, especially with fight mechanics being so elaborate, and also if we don't get a hot streak it prevents the use of combustion & so forth, if you don't get art of war, you don't get art of war, 'sabout it, and you havn't evaluated the base probabilities of either spec just 'not getting procs' because the problem here is its much more common for the one.
    Lol. If ret doesnt get art of war, they cannot use exorcism which not only accounts for their #1 (or 2nd) source of damage, but it is single handedly the only ability that makes Inquisition worth using. If ret got no AoW procs they'd lose a HUGE portion of their total DPS. 'sabout it? You an e-gangster now or something?

With ret having multiple RNG abilities that all collide and clash with each other you have to wait for stars to align for things to happen for you. With fire you have 1 ability, and 1 cause/effect as a result. Also, fire's RNG only effects a few instant fire spells, and about 50% of the effectiveness of a 2 minute cooldown ability. The RNG ret experiences effects all of their abilities to the point where if they don't get any they literally sit there and do nothing. At least fire can poop fireballs.

---------- Post added 2011-01-04 at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    Mage forum guys. Both Ret and Fire specs have issues now and Blizzard is looking into them, but having a pissing contest over who is 'more RNG' here does no good. Let's stay focused on the issues of fire mage RNG please.
    Sorry, just saw this post. I was just trying to explain things to someone i felt was misinformed as i've had experience with both classes, at level 85, in heroic-ish gear. I'll stop though if there's no interest in discussing it. I'll just agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    The first part of your post sucks to read. Use .'s please.

The base cast time of Fireball used to be 3.5 seconds, which could be lowered to 3 seconds with talents. At some point, the Fireball glyph lowered the cast time of Fireball by 0.15 seconds (which comes down to 5% haste; (3/100)x5=0.15) instead of 5% crit. Then, at the end of WotLK, as the new talents were introduced, the base cast time of Fireball was lowered to 2.5 seconds.

To compensate for this change, they also changed Pyroblast!. It would proc less, but you would cast far more Fireballs. At the end of WotLK, I went from critting 50% of my Fireballs to 25%. A lot less Pyroblast! procs, but my DPS increased. Mana wasn't an issue due to gear. You couldn't really see the effects of the change because you had insane stats. Now, as your stats are low, you hardly crit and your Fireball casts are 2.25-2.37 (opposed to 1.7-1.8 in WotLK). Not to mention that no crits means no 30% refund.

No more Fire crit chance increase either.

I feel this changed Fire too much. It's just a shadow of what it once was. Fire was fun because you had to plan your Pyroblasts, you had to manage them. Now, I go entire fights without a Pyroblast proc, wasting Combustion in the process... Even in WotLK I thought you didn't get enough Pyroblast! procs (Our DPS was fine, but that was simply because you could do a lot more Fireballs; and even that is gone now, not because you'd crit more).

@ Haldurion: I don't see have you afford to spam Flamestrike while it costs 5k mana.
    The OP didn't ask for a Review in how Fire was in the past! We all know that.....

On topic: I would suggest to add 2 points in Improved Flamestrike instead of Cauterize... in that way, cast Blast Wave when it is off cd to have an extra Flamestrike to double your chances to get an Impact.
    Your critical rating is very good imo for your item lvl but I find your Spell Power a bit low.
    Leveling your JC will help you a lot to raise your intellect as you will get the +67 intellect gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphamage View Post
    The OP didn't ask for a Review in how Fire was in the past! We all know that.....

On topic: I would suggest to add 2 points in Improved Flamestrike instead of Cauterize... in that way, cast Blast Wave when it is off cd to have an extra Flamestrike to double your chances to get an Impact.
    Your critical rating is very good imo for your item lvl but I find your Spell Power a bit low.
    Leveling your JC will help you a lot to raise your intellect as you will get the +67 intellect gems.
    Thx for the tips i will try it out definetly, and ye need to level JC, the thing is i picked in my opinion best 2 professions for a mage, jc and ench but the thing with jc is i needed to finish lvling mining on my alt and then il level it since its a bit too expensive without mining.

I would like to point this out..

At THIS point.. Fire is very RNG based, however, the better gear you get, the less RNG : ) (better gear = more crit for the dumbs who didnt understand that)

Some RNG is always welcome because without it, playing would be following some rotation 1:1. However, as a fire mage, I feel that getting unlucky with RNG can really screw me up. Bad luck with crits means no hot streaks and no fat ignites, which further on means that combustion is not worth spending. With multiple targets getting inferior or terribad combustions amps up the DPS loss to a whole new level. Let alone if you get unlucky with impact procs.
    Waiting for considerably more crit or redesign, because currently it feels that the damage output fluctuates a bit too much depending on how lucky RNG I'm getting. "But your gear level is still pretty low (~350)" is a poor excuse. Also not having the option to spec for different dps spec for raiding is a bit meh. And it's not the first time mages are in the situation of having 1 pve spec and 1 pvp-spec, end of.

Deleted
    Dear Paladins,

Paladin forum so you can cry ------> that way

Mages get to cry here.