Haste vs mastery

As the topic says Haste vs mastery what is best of those to stats as holy ? And what is best for yellow slots http://www.wowhead.com/item=52205 or http://www.wowhead.com/item=52208 ?

10+ Year Old Account
    12.5% haste for that extra renew tick, then mastery? (i'm shadow 11/10 times so i could be wrong)

This has been debated to death; see the respective holy and discipline stickies at the top of the page as well as http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Math-inside%29.
    Last edited by Lysdexic; 2011-01-05 at 02:29 PM.

Lol that 12.5% # again....yes.. as it's been said a gazillion times on threads in this forum, 12.5% gives you an extra renew tick. But Haste is still very valuable after that benchmark. There's been a LOT of Haste vs Mastery discussions and the best I can glean from it is that Holy benefits greatly from both stats and alot of the decision on which to "stack" is playstyle. At this low gear level, balancing them is hard so people gravitate towards "do I need this OR this?" when I think we're very lucky to scale so well from both. Personally, I slightly favor Haste when given the opportunity but still hold on to whatever Mastery I can cuz it really is noticeable.

Edit: lol Lysdexic beat me to it...must be typing slow this morning *yawn

10+ Year Old Account
    a mix of haste and mastery is the best answer I don't see why it isn't obvious. After 12.5% haste you need to reach 37% to get a new tick aka unattainable. So after 12.5% mastery it's inefficient to stack haste because priest dont "spam" heals anymore. The 12.5% is purely to get an additional tick w/o sacrificing other stats, after that mastery increases your total HPM.
    "A priest is he who lives solely in the realm of the invisible, for whom all that is visible has only the truth of an allegory."

I'm at 7.48% haste un-buffed, which is just below the 7.5% needed with the 5% haste buff from other classes to reach the 12.5% haste buff. For raid healing this "soft cap" or "minimum" is a good number to reach to get an extra tick out of your Renew spells. When tank healing, it doesn't necessarily matter since you'll be keeping Renew refreshed nearly the entire time anyways.

I'm also at 18.36 mastery rating, which is 22% of my heals as a HoT over 6 seconds. With both this and Renew ticking away on the tank for roughly the same amount (based off of amount healed from Heal spell), that helps out a lot.

Haste will continue to help out all your non-instant cast spells past the 7.5% (12.5%), so there's really no reason to stop collecting Haste at that certain amount.

So it really depends on your play style and your role for your raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have recently checked the armory of Holy priests who ranked on World of Logs and there seems to be a pretty even split between those who stack haste and dump mastery and those who do just the opposite. That tells me that both are viable and may also depend on the particular boss fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Caladia View Post
    non-instant cast spells
    What's the deal here? Haste lowers GCD, it benefits everything you cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysdexic View Post
    What's the deal here? Haste lowers GCD, it benefits everything you cast.
    Well you got me there... didn't think of that. Though you think I would since my alt is a Paladin in ret form right now. My bad, and thanks for the correction.