Thread: Excorcist Spec

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Excorcist Spec

God help me I know I'm about to get flamed all to hell, but... I keep staring at the talents, then the glyphs. Then the talents again. Then the glyphs again. And... I have to ask.

Is the Excorcist Spec (This http://wowtal.com/#k=7suzGFLg.a8t.paladin.-xWozQ ) possible as a dps spec by any stretch of the imagination?

Someone out there has to have tried it. Please god tell me I can be a holy mage.

I tried it on my Holydin right before Cata launched, without the glyph, in 232~ gear about 8k dps* single target(So a bit more than the 'average WoWer').. Not tried at 85 but for a guess it'll just be a mana drain and wont be enough... Go test it?
    *(Just spamming Exorcism until my finger ached, really.)
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2011-01-06 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drewfasta View Post
    Please god tell me I can be a holy mage.
    The word your looking for is shockadin. And i'm pretty sure it's not viable. There's no way it can pull competitive numbers. But it would make for a fun leveling spec nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Urt View Post
    The word your looking for is shockadin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMUKPUjxmF4

Not when you can EXCORCIIIIIIISE THE DEMONS.

---------- Post added 2011-01-06 at 05:15 AM ----------

Quick Follow up-
    It obviously has alot of erm... downfalls

-Lack of AoE
    -Lack of CC
    -Lack of a way to get holy power without healing or using crusader strike (which really, the latter wouldn't be that bad)

But you'd be a hell of a backup healer if someone went down. Plus it looks like a friggin blast.

You might as well just roll Arcane Mage, do more DPS and have the AoE/CC, just not be a back-up healer. Most people in a random would probably kick off and want you out anyway if you were to go as a Shockadin... And you wouldn't be a viable dps in a raid(for a guess, not tested obviously:P)

The damage dealt is actually ok if you got the right talents. However, the lack of cc and aoe dps makes it very bad in cata dungeons. I use an exorism heavy build when leveling through wrath dungeons, and in boss fight i can smoke every dps while still healing the tank.

For solo leveling it is very good and quite long lasting for mana.

Ahhhhhhh!

Once again, the "shockadin" spec is exactly the talents I'd take for a Holy PvP spec. 80% of the time, heal. 20% of the time, supply burst DPS. It's a great spec, just not in PvE.

10+ Year Old Account
    As belf has said its a great pvp spec because it has nice burst & tons of healing potential, however it cant pull good enough numbers for pve. Then again it at least pulls more consistent numbers the ret
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    As belf has said its a great pvp spec because it has nice burst & tons of healing potential, however it cant pull good enough numbers for pve. Then again it at least pulls more consistent numbers the ret
    I've been doing Arena in the "shockadin" spec and it's seriously good. Like, beyond comprehension good. At least in 3s. I'd say we're above and beyond other healing specs by quite a bit.

So is there a leveling build to use this? Just dump points into Holy?

I feel like I'm kinda hijacking but..
    Retribution doesn't have aoe or cc either.

Ret paladins don't spec into Divine Storm anymore. Even if they did it does not do competitive aoe dps.

In 5 mans Repentence is really a vain talent point as well.
    Early on when we didn't have heroic or raid gear sure we used it, only after being very very careful not to break it.
    Now in 5 mans if we need CC we use a warlock, mage hunter etc.
    If you want to do a 5 man and you have Repentence, instead of even bothering the potentially CC'ed add is just tanked.

Shockadin is only missing better scaling to be "viable" if what you call viable applies to retribution as well.

Why Seals Of the Pure in the spec? I thought this talent only increases seal damage, but not Judgement damage, and you aren't going to hit things in melee.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

Ive done it, its cute, but its not truly competitive.

On an average mostly tank and spank fight, I pull roughly 7-9k in full heroic gear blues. On an undead or demon boss i can easily pull 14-15k. This is mind you in full heroic blues. By this point most other classes are 3-4k higher then the DPS i pull by default.

You can still play retribution bad, and pull higher dps then a shockadin atm, it is however great fun in PvP.... ^-^

Quote Originally Posted by Kueson View Post
    [..]You can still play retribution bad, and pull higher dps then a shockadin atm, it is however great fun in PvP.... ^-^
    I've had two Rets in my groups in the last few days doing 1k - 2.6k dps.. Are you sure you can play Ret 'bad' and still come higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobley View Post
    I feel like I'm kinda hijacking but..
    Retribution doesn't have aoe or cc either.
    You know 'shockadins' are bad when they're comparing themselves to the worst PvE DPS spec in the game.

you were close, but i fixed your talents and glyphs a little bit.

http://wowtal.com/#k=7j-K0SuAt.a8t.paladin.-ziZEl

Glyphed divine favor instead of judgement, increasing your damage CD. You don't want glyph of judgement, because it hardly does any damage to begin with, its mostly there to get mana back, and for the haste buff provided by judgements of the pure. Added aura mastery and took some of the healing talents you had in holy out.

took all points out of prot because seals of the pure only help when meleeing because of the seals it affects, and you will want to be using seal of insight, because when you judge its gona give you mana back.

For ret tree after crusade and improved judgement the rest of the points don't really matter, so I just put the points in what i thought would be most usefull

Also took out crusader strike glyph for divine plea, so you can get more mana back, since you wont be crusader striking anyway

Rotation is as follows, Judge as needed to keep your haste buff on at all times, plus it gives you mana back. Rest of time you are using holy shock whenever it is off cooldown to get holy power, and Exorcism the rest of the time.

When HP gets to 3 pop Inquisition, and try to keep it up as much as possible.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2011-01-06 at 08:58 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

You have to heal with hs to get hp. So useing cs to get the three needed hp is a much better idea.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

wrong, unless they changed holy shock, i was getting HP from it fine last week
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I could be wrong. Don't think I've used an offensive hs yet. I don't heal much ATM. If offensive ones do grant hp than cs will indeed be useless.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

One thing to consider while trying this out is that you really should do this outside of pug dungeons/raids(<-- Idk who would even bring a person with this spec). With the low dps that you put out, it's essentially giving the shaft to everyone in your group.

Test it out on dummies and play around with different set ups.