Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It does not have any significant effect on the levelling/skilling up of the profession.
    Only preventing the hoarding to increase the odds of gaining a specific artifact once you reach the required skill threshold.
    You have to deal with the same RNG just like everyone else, and that is what people are complaining about or calling stupid.
    Actually having to put in the same effort as anyone else who actually utilised the profession as it was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    The same amount of time and energy is wasted in the end though right? Its just the feeling of control that has been lost with this....nerf?
    No. You need a minimum of 450 skill to even have the opportunity to have a chance to get Zin'rohk. What people HAVE been doing is collecting troll fragments, while leveling on fossil/dwarf/night elf, and then once they hit 450, they use all their troll pieces. This is usually in the 400-600 range, but some people have been saying they've had upwards of 1300.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    Try reading properly - In the end you'll need to spend the same amount of time gathering fragments.

Say you level to 525 gathering 0 troll fragments, say it cost you 1000 fragments, say it then cost you 500 fragments to get ZR
    Say you level to 525 gathering 500 troll fragments, say you kept them and gathered 1000 alternate fragments to ding

either way it was the same amount of time invested

---------- Post added 2011-01-07 at 06:10 AM ----------

Try using that thing on top of your spine, that's right, your brain.
    Plz don't insult people when you clearly don't understand the topic.
    The same amount of time..Yes.
    The same chance for an epic.. No.

Yes in the end you will have gathered the same amount of troll parts, but having to spend them before the level at which you can obtain the epic desired means less to spend after 450 skill. Less used after 450 skill means less of a chance to get your pretty purples.

Now, I think my 13 year old could understand that so I'm hoping it was clear enough to stop this retarded arguement.

I'm sitting on 2700 fossil fragments, 700 vrykul and this cap is horrible. Was saving fossil fragments for future rares since I already have 19/25.

Deleted
    Tragic thread is tragic.
    Looks like you'll just need to, wait for it! Do more archaeology.

wow, really great

while farming the vial of the sands (which i NERVER saw) i got about 5000 night elf and fossil fragments. and now you tell me you destroy my last hope of getting something usefule for them by capping them on 200?

fantastic, now thats clearly the greatest waste of time i ever did

To me this whole post sounds like more lich kiddies whining "why is to so hard to get epics....waaaaaahh"

You people should be jumping for joy that you can even get a weapon like ZR without having to set foot in a raid.

it just sucks for people who already have all the rare of one races and were just saving the shards till they addeded new crap at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    To me this whole post sounds like more lich kiddies whining "why is to so hard to get epics....waaaaaahh"

You people should be jumping for joy that you can even get a weapon like ZR without having to set foot in a raid.
    This guy has it right. You're getting the opportunity to get epics from a secondary profession, with zero combat and minimal brainpower required, with no competition, and no reliance on any other players whatsoever, and people are crying? Build a bridge and get the fuck over it.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

I really hope they nerf it even more. and force you to solve it when you have 36/36 fragments.

its stupid that you can store fragments way over the number required for that item. could be a safe buffer of 10% or 15% to not make any fragments go to spoil.

i was surprised when i saw i could store em.

Stupid proffesion is what it is, still i do it for the achivements :P

This sucks for people that read a guide and planned to do archeology the "smart" way. I just leveled it solving whatever I had when I got the fragments at launch. This was when each find only gave 1 fragment (3 per site) instead of getting 3-6 (9-18 per site) or whatever it is now. I gave up on finding the rares I don't have because its just a ton of work for very little reward.

I'm sure bliz understands how bad these are to grind and made this change because they felt it was an exploit to save up to increase your chance at rares. Honestly I don't even see the reasoning behind skill requirements on rares.

This change might also have something to do with bliz saying they have more planned for archeology and some people having several thousand of one type or another saved up just from clearing the "trash" dig sites to make room for the ones they're trying to farm for rares.

Overall I think archeology was poorly thought out and all the changes we're seeing so soon after launch reflect that. It was a neat idea at the core but its too much RNG and grinding without rewards in most cases. They should haven taken a hint from PVE and had some rewards that weren't RNG dependant like JP/VP gear. Maybe BoA gear purchasable with keystones and vanity and flavor items RNG with the odd rare BoA sprinkled in.

Deleted
    Honestly. Why do you bother whining about the game when you're not even playing anymore?

thats like complaining about the weather but never having an intention of going out the door.

anyways, they do that so that you wont instantly get epics next time they add new rares for fossile arch, for example.
    its pretty simple if you think about it, and imo pretty fair too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    Try reading properly - In the end you'll need to spend the same amount of time gathering fragments.

Say you level to 525 gathering 0 troll fragments, say it cost you 1000 fragments, say it then cost you 500 fragments to get ZR
    Say you level to 525 gathering 500 troll fragments, say you kept them and gathered 1000 alternate fragments to ding

either way it was the same amount of time invested

---------- Post added 2011-01-07 at 06:10 AM ----------

Try using that thing on top of your spine, that's right, your brain.
    No. Purple artifacts only appear at 450, so if you want purple 2H sword from troll solves you d solve other race to 450 first, then open all hoarded troll fragments once you get to 450. Much higher chance that way.

I wish they'd make frags..useful. I'm sitting on 1950 Fossil frags... I really don't want them. Hopefully they'll make it so if you're capped off you won't get fossil dig sites! here's hopeing! /crosses fingers.

As to people saying stuff about it being too easy to get.. Have you even tried to get these epics? They're roughly an 40-80 hour grind each, on average. Milage may vary. I could make a pug group and down Raid trash and find epics easier then I got my ring. Hell I could probably form a guild today, get 9 other people who are capable of doing a boss or two, raid wipe a few nights in a row, get a boss down, and STILL do all of this faster then teh average person gets his Zin'rokh.

These epics are a SERIOUS grind. And a very frustrating one at that. I'm all for nerfing down fragments, as long as they make it so you can't get anymore of that fragments dig site after you hit the cap. This would make me oh-so-happy.
    Last edited by Yoshimiko; 2011-01-07 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumocolor View Post
    it just sucks for people who already have all the rare of one races and were just saving the shards till they addeded new crap at some point
    Eh, sure it sucks.. but if people didn't see it coming, that's their own fault for not realizing how pointless to even continue the skill if you could simply stock up for any new rare finds introduced. I would wager it would also hint towards the possibility that even more substantial and useful items that aren't idiotic click items that have insipid cool downs for a minor vanity effect will be added later on.

As it is, it's just yet another time wasting profession to give those who choose to do it, something to do besides fishing. I leveled it on one character and will never level it again, but I'll continue a vain search for the actual fun and/or useful items without flipping a gasket over having to solve a bunch of saved fragments because a reasonable change to the profession (that they should have had in place to begin with) is implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    I wish they'd make frags..useful. I'm sitting on 1950 Fossil frags... I really don't want them. Hopefully they'll make it so if you're capped off you won't get fossil dig sites! here's hopeing! /crosses fingers.
    Would love to see that change... but again it would void the purpose of making things rare in the first place. Despite how silly it is to discover my 80th cloak clasp with antlers that belonged to some guy or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post

I don't bother with this stupid excuse fo a prof, but I can fell for the people that do. It's bad enough to level in the first place, but a mage in my guild has farmed over a couple thousand dwarf parts and still hasn't gotten the staff.
    As far as "lich kiddies", that's just stupid...like it started with wotlk? I mean you did play BC yes? cause it was just as easy to get epics then, and it will be again in Cata after 1 maybe 2 content patchs. When the next raid comes out all current valor gear will be justice point gear so please, save us having to see more "whine about whine".

have you ever really tried archeology yet? Its the most RNG most grindy prof ever, hoarding is a way to somehow lessen that insane grind. Ofc people would be mad.

Quote Originally Posted by micho View Post
    cancelled your account over arch ... wow your in dire need of a life
    this op has mental problems, when people cancel their accounts because of the most boring secondary profession. wow

i have solved all rare and commen fossil artifact and is sitting on 763 fossil fragments. if they are gonna make a 200 fragment hard cap, they should atleast at some sort of incentive for me to use the fossils beyound that.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    have you ever really tried archeology yet? Its the most RNG most grindy prof ever, hoarding is a way to somehow lessen that insane grind. Ofc people would be mad.
    This! epics crafted from LW, BS, and so on are FAR easier to obtain even if your are leveling the prof not just buying them.