Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Why "Let them die" Isn't An Acceptable Answer

Post has de-railed: My initial point is just that telling someone to let a troublesome party member die isn't nearly as constructive as any other response you can give. Yes, a tank/heals occasionally need to let someone die to benefit the party. My point was NEVER that the job of tank/heals is to keep idiots alive no matter what. My point is that "let them die lulz" is an inane stance to take even in QQ threads when methods that have worked for you in the past are more than likely both more civil and will result in player development over time. The End.
    -------------------------
    OP
    Venting: This is for all those people who, in response to tanks/healers complaining about jerks/ignorance/poor players in LFD, just say "Just let them die lol." There's several reasons why this answer is SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE and here they are:

1: Vote Kick - as a healer, if you let someone die for their own mistakes, raging usually ensues and you get all sorts of abuse in chat and then more often than not you get vote kicked when you explain that you actually let him die for being stupid.

2. Lack of Cooperation - As a tank, if you try to let someone die to teach them a lesson, you need to have the healer cooperating with you. If you don't and he/she successfully heals through the intended punishment, you run the risk of being branded a "shitty tank" and getting raged at/kicked. If your healer isn't cooperating and runs OOM trying to save whoever you're attempting to kill, you run the risk of wiping. Again leaving you open to being branded a "shitty tank" and/or "N00B."

3. Desire for completion - If you're in LFD, chances are you're looking to run a dungeon, even if just for marks (Unless you're one of those people who inexplicably declines at the last second after waiting in queue). As such, "let him die" is counterproductive. Sure, you can harbor a personal vendetta against some anonymous mage who doesn't know what polymorph is or that black/red/green circles on the ground are bad but in the end, if you spend your time letting him keep aggro and dying and then reigning in whatever mob it was, it's time lost. Not to mention the additional cost of resurrecting the player and waiting for heals/whoever else to mana up and get back to business. It's a tangent and it's useless.

4. Impenetrably thick skulls/fruitlessness - Usually in LFD, the players that make you the angriest are the ones that refuse to learn. As such, there is no way they are going to take the experience of pulling a mob before the tank and getting slaughtered by it as being in any way their fault. Rather, they will lol at their "uber deeps" and talk trash about how the tank should L2p. So there is no point in letting them die. As a healer, letting them die for standing in fire or pulling ahead of the tank is equally fruitless as it robs you of a party member (no matter how bad) and teaches them nothing excep that "you suk lulz."

5. Because it won't teach them anything - the idea behind letting them die is that it'll teach them something. In reality, if they wanted to learn, they'd ask or listen to your well deserved criticism. Unfortunately, they don't or won't and it appears the old statement, "I know you think your $14.99 per month entitles you to play the way you want but the rest of the raid's $359.76 thinks you should know your role," has been completely forgotten.

So stop saying it. You are not being sagacious and it solves nobody's problems.

Also, "LOL get a guild" is equally dumb

--------------------
    Sidebar: I'm not saying that letting someone die doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy or somehow avenged for their wronging you (because it TOTALLY does), I'm just saying that as advice or as a response to someone expressing frustration over lack of understanding/player knowledge, it's incredibly unconstructive...
    Last edited by stuperdude; 2011-01-20 at 08:13 PM.
    Nothing to see here! Move along! Nothing to see here!

Quote Originally Posted by Koobs View Post
    And DPS means Don't Pull Shit!

But it makes me feel better when they die. The lesson may be lost on them, but I feel warm and fuzzy as I squat on their face.

Thanks to Shiri

Armory

Deleted
    'Let them die' won't solve anything

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my.. tell us how you REALLY feel!

Though as a tank I have never had that attitude with people (okay that's a lie). There are occasions where I let people die but the healer was from my guild and we were giggling on vent about it =)

10+ Year Old Account
    I let them die all the time.

"get a guild" does infact solve that problem. In a guild if they do something stupid...let them die. Guildies will listen or rage quit. If they listen good, if the rage quit its good to lost them before you raided with them.

15+ Year Old Account
    I always avoid fights in groups. Last thing you need is one guy who's pissed off but stays in the group..ninjas something and leaves after laughing at the group. Be nice, be respectful and have fun. It's a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenhorne View Post
    But it makes me feel better when they die.
    Pretty much.

But it makes me feel better when they die. The lesson may be lost on them, but I feel warm and fuzzy as I squat on their face.
    what you just said is what you just made me feel sir..... +1

Deleted
    Letting people die in an instance is stupid.

You are being stupid if you do that.

If you are being stupid in an instance, you deserve to die just as much as the person you left to die.

Do not let people die in instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomshine View Post
    'Let them die' won't solve anything
    CORRECT!, letting them die 4-5 times does though.

I do this all the time, providing it will not result in a wipe..and i never get moaned at..In fact quite the opposite, most times they apologise as it was their error..

so they are learning..

SO KEEP IT UP Y'ALL!

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the people I run with are catching on to the idea that fire is bad. Half the time it isn't even a matter of letting them die, it's simply that they will die if they stand in fire. I just res, buff up, and move on to the next pull.

Most people don't rage if you're respectful from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutelf View Post
    Letting people die in an instance is stupid.

You are being stupid if you do that.

If you are being stupid in an instance, you deserve to die just as much as the person you left to die.

Healing someone that stands in fire is stupid. It takes away focus and drains mana. Which is more stupid, letting them die or wiping?

If you stand in fire in instances, you stand in fire in raids.
    Last edited by Eisenhorne; 2011-01-07 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks to Shiri

Armory

That post was too wordy.

If you're an idiot and cant move out of basic things like enormous lazer beams or fire on the ground -- I let you die.

I let them die. After they die I tell them why I let them die. I then rez them. If they do it again, I tell them why I let them die a second time, and I let them run back. Third time, vote-kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutelf View Post
    Don't stand in the fire and we won't let you die...
    Don't hate the player, learn to play.

More than once on my tank I've sat there and watch a DPS get the shit destroyed out of them because they pulled with an attack. I see nothing wrong with it. If you get kicked as a tank or a healer, you can requeue and be back in an instance within 5 minutes, easy.

Also, who said anything about teaching them a lesson? I know most of these daffy scrubs will never learn, I don't care. They can just keep getting punished for their stupidity and it will make no difference to me. It's all equally amusing.

Props on a well written, informative thread that deals with an all too common problem in the Dungeon Finder tool. This should be required reading for anyone who uses the tool frequently.

Letting sumone die the first time they screw up just drags out the instance and pisses everyone off, if after you tell them what they did wrong they insist on continuing to do it, votekick and keep going. Long drawn out Jersey Shore drama shit A. Isnt funny B. Wastes time C. IS NOT FUCKING FUNNY
    Last edited by bleedthesky; 2011-01-07 at 05:19 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some people deserve to be help.....some dont deserve it at all.
    If you fishing for hours at the same place and you become confident that everything is fine and safe, its will mean one thing; You are wrong. Because i was actually sitting near of you for hours, cloaked in the shadow with a smile on my face and my daggers ready to strike. I did it many time before. I will do it again.....and again......

10+ Year Old Account
    I so vouch for this answer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I always tell the other members of the group before I do it, that way I wont get kicked.

New sig