Wich pet to use?

I have gotten alittle confused, is the Felhunter not my pet of choice anymore?

after being a affliction lock all of the sudden i read somewhere that i should be using a succubus witch kinda makes me feel like a complete noob again ..

I don't currently play affliction, but the EJ Afflic thread suggests that Succubus is in fact better. I'd recommend running your own simcraft to find out for sure though.

I think pre-cata it was assumed that at 85 with demon soul it would be a dps increase to go back to felpup, but apparently the sims are still showing succy being better at the moment. =/

Honestly as demo I can't bear to trade my felguard for the succubus, it just doesn't feel right at all.

Edit: you need to be using the Glyph of Lash of Pain, which is OP as hell for the succubus' damage output.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2011-01-07 at 05:16 PM.

not that i mind ... the succy is always a nice sight after having been stuck with a ugly ass felpuppy or a butch demon dude :P

Deleted
    due to the ability demon soul (wowhead.com/spell=77801) using the felhunter is optimal again. Increased periodic shadow damage by 20% for 20 sec on a 2 min CD is better than a 25% increase in lash of pain. haven't tested it but i think that's how things are. i'm waiting for someone to test it and prove me right/wrong!

15+ Year Old Account
    Tested, proved wrong. Demon Soul does not make up the difference.
    Affliction: Glyph of Lash of Pain, Corruption, and Haunt + Succubus > Glyph of Corruption, Haunt, BoA + Felhunter

Succubus even wins single target for Demonology, but the margin is so small that it's not worth it.

---------- Post added 2011-01-07 at 09:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Certin View Post
    not that i mind ... the succy is always a nice sight after having been stuck with a ugly ass felpuppy or a butch demon dude :P
    It's really hard to play with a succubus attack macro'd to your spells because the bitch won't shut up. Giggle giggle whip giggle now you're talking giggle giggle OMG STFU

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Succubus even wins single target for Demonology, but the margin is so small that it's not worth it.
    I disagree, the margin is small, but your pet is the most reliable source of damage. It doesn't matter how much you fuck up your rotation, as long as you're using the Succubus on single target fights, that's one variable you can be sure you're always going to get the most out of.

For fights with multiple targets, you should of course use the Felguard, potentially Glyphed if there are many adds as you'll likely get much more damage out of Legion Strike than Incinerate from Molten Core procs; for example Halfus with Whelps, my FGs Legion Strike did double the total damage of my Incinerates.

^hahaha. Gherkin, you're so right. And she never stays on the target for me. Her animation runs back and forth all sparatically. It's annoying. But yea, on topic. Gherkin is right. Succy is better than the felpup in every way for pve. In pvp use their utility when it's needed, not it's dmg, IMO.

I love the fel pup so it sucks having to use the succy right now but the dmg with the glyph is just too good to switch.

I am Warlock - Play Free Online Games

99.99% of my posts are done via iPhone. Expect typos as it likes to change my words and doesn't pick up on MMO lingo very well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I disagree, the margin is small, but your pet is the most reliable source of damage. It doesn't matter how much you fuck up your rotation, as long as you're using the Succubus on single target fights, that's one variable you can be sure you're always going to get the most out of.
    Well I'm a terrible warlock right now. Pet AI has me leaving my pet on passive, causing me to forget to tell it to attack. It dies all the time. I have petattack macro'd to shadow bolt but forget to swap it for the non-macro on multi target fights, causing her to run between two targets doing squat for damage. I forget to use demonsoul or spam the crap out of it when my pet is dead.
    /bitch moan complain rant

R.I.P. YARG

Well I'm a terrible warlock right now. Pet AI has me leaving my pet on passive, causing me to forget to tell it to attack. It dies all the time. I have petattack macro'd to shadow bolt but forget to swap it for the non-macro on multi target fights, causing her to run between two targets doing squat for damage. I forget to use demonsoul or spam the crap out of it when my pet is dead.
    Yeah... why pets on defensive think that your fear target is what they should be attacking is beyond me...

Deleted
    Tested, proved wrong. Demon Soul does not make up the difference.
    i am away from a pc with wow on it so thanks for the testing i couldn't do myself.

anyway, it's gonna be a bit sad that i won't use my felhunter anymore. i liked that little guy. we had some nice times together! although it is nicer to see a succubus running back and forth() than a felpup...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlapse View Post
    Yeah... why pets on defensive think that your fear target is what they should be attacking is beyond me...
    I'm with this. I'd love to have my imp on defensive and not attack fear targets. At least it doesn't have to run.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

It's really hard to play with a succubus attack macro'd to your spells because the bitch won't shut up. Giggle giggle whip giggle now you're talking giggle giggle OMG STFU
    I had the same problem with my imp to the point of threatening to punt him back to the nether, painfully, with a boot up his ass.

I asked in a new thread and found out that you can disable pet sounds in the Sound/Video settings tab of your interface control panel. For me, I had the meta choice that allowed pet sounds unchecked and I had to actually check that, uncheck enable pet sounds, then re-uncheck the meta choice to get my imp to stop whining about needing his space and this weird contract I don't remember signing. (If he signed a contract, he didn't read the fine print.)

One of he reasons I was dreading going back and trying aff because the succubus because of the macro'd attacks. Now that I know how to turn them off, all the more incentive.

---------- Post added 2011-01-07 at 07:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gualdhar View Post
    I'm with this. I'd love to have my imp on defensive and not attack fear targets. At least it doesn't have to run.
    I have an addon called ControlFreak that uses macros in a clickable frame for cc'ing. I haven't tried it but I'm sure that it's possible to put pets on passive in the macro using this then be able to put them back on defensive to attack the right mob.

I agree though, they shouldn't attack the feared target. Great way to break your own cc... >p

Might as well be honest eh! Hehe, but yea, we've all been there. To be honest I hate having my pet on passive for that reason - I am a forgetful idiot and I need stuff to slap me in the face to realise. That said, I have my pet on my mouse wheel and I got myself into the habit of scrolling up whenever I switch target.

lol, i have yet to find a good pet handling macro so my pets are usually on defencive with me stopping them manually when fearing, it kinda sucks and makes me very un pro :P

Deleted
    Can I suggest you don't use your spam spell as your pet macro. I have had far more success binding it to my Haunt key, since haunt is always cast on the priority target and is not spammed.

Or if you are destruction bind it to your immolate, again since this is not a spammed spell yet will always be on your priority target:

I found that as destruction if you bind it to something you spam (i.e. incinerate) then it actually prevents the imp from casting because you are commanding it to attack so rapidly.

Also this forum error that prevents me from posting "any kinds of links, images or videos until you post a few times" is preventing me from writing macros some people might find helpful. /rage.

"Can't we all just get along?"

---------- Post added 2011-01-10 at 02:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Morternobir View Post
    I found that as destruction if you bind it to something you spam (i.e. incinerate) then it actually prevents the imp from casting because you are commanding it to attack so rapidly.
    When macro'd incorrectly, your pet will indeed be prevented from casting.

However, when macro'd correctly to your "spam" abilities, you'll actually squeeze more DPS out of your pet because you'll effectively make your pet pre-cast, which accounts for latency.

Here's a working macro:
    #showtooltip SPELLNAME
    /petattack [target=pettarget,noexists] target
    /cast [@pettarget, exists] Firebolt
    /cast SPELLNAME

15+ Year Old Account
    Good idea on Haunt, I'll do that. For destruction, I tab spam Immolate due to the high DPCT.

---------- Post added 2011-01-10 at 01:23 PM ----------

Macro officially borrowed, thank you very much.

R.I.P. YARG