Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Thumbs up DC Universe - The end of WoW?

SOE - or can i say Sony company have been working hard enough for a new project that will launch at (January) 1/11/2011 Rumors has it - it might kill WoW or lose into the great Blue sky, what's that 'project'? Its called DC Universe - a game that YOU can be a legend at - it will be released in Playstation and PC.

Great things about this game is:

1- You could choose either to be a Villain (Team up with the joker, and other Villains have them as a mentor to give you quests etc.) or a Hero (Superman, batman, Wonderwoman)
    Its basically the "Horde and the Alliance" of the game.

2-- You can make your OWN SUPER HERO. Yes, your own, you can change his skin (Metal, Normal, Etc) - The way he moves (Flying, Superspeed= Makes you walk on walls, on roofs, on everything and its as fast as a light bulb. then you have Acrobats which makes you jump really high, hang on buildings etc.) - personality (Flirty, Serious, etc..)
    His SIZE (Giant, Normal, Tiny) Fat, skinny.

It is probably the best Customization for a game i have ever seen - you will never see someone look like you ever. infact, you can keep that look with you EVEN if you get gears - you have an option to keep your original badass look so people recognize you from your look."

Names: you could have SPACE in ur names, Like "Death Monster" or Something funny like "Haha Gotcha" you know.. "Creative names" which i suck at doing.

3- You have super powers to choose from, You can HEAL, DPS, Tank.
    Some of the super powers i will include is Fire, Ice, and nature.

Nature is the 'druid' of wow, you can have all three roles.

4- Cities look Real - think about Grand theft auto - you can see cars, accidents, gangs walking around, People going to jobs, and buildings that you can enter (Night clubs, Bank, Police station, etc.)

5- Raids and Dungeons
    Raids could take up to 8 super heroes or villains and dungeons - you can ACTUALLY notice how hard raids are - Monsters hit like truck; something that Hardcore gamers could look for.

6- PvP you could PVP in air - PVP above roofs - PVP on ground - Grab cars and throw at people - Trick people into stepping on something and then exploding - FREEZE people until they become an iceblock, and use that iceblock as weapons to throw at people.

7- Be a legend at DC Universe - be known. unlock new quests with better and better rewards.

8- Monthly added content to make the game bigger.

9- SOE hired the actual 'REAL voice actors' of the cartoons you see - and the comic book makers.

10 - You can have your OWN SECRET ID. Just like batman - his real name isn't batman. (Which is something new for people to recognize you more easily.)
    Youtube the game trailer - to check it out.

I am not an SOE developer, nor am I a DCUO fanboy nor am I a person trying to tell you that you should ditch WoW for DCUO just because someone posted on here saying, "Ooooh, ooooh... DITCH WoW and play DCUO because it's gonna be THE WoW Killer". I'm an avid MMO player like everyone else here and I'm just going to relay what I know about DCUO to you guys.

Will DCUO be the perennial "WoW Killer"? No one knows, not even I know but I will be trying the game out on the 11th.

DC Universe Online is an Action MMO and should not be lumped into the traditional Sword and Sorcery MMO market that's been highly predominant since UO came out back in 1997.

DCUO is not a CoX or CO clone. In fact, DCUO has been in the making since 2005. It's combat system is more twitch based, meaning that you can actually perform actions on the fly such as breaking out of stuns and roots; roll out of the way of incoming enemy fire whether you're playing as a on the hero or villain side; perform actual combo attacks with the mouse or with the PS3 controller. In fact, you can use a PS3 controller for your PC to play this game. The devs have in fact confirmed this at the NYC Comic-Con back in 2008 - 2009. You can also lock onto a target and keep it in your sights until it's down and then lock onto a new one and rinse/wash/repeat.

The physics for this game comes from the Unreal Engine which allows you to lift/smash/hurl objects or even heavier objects if you have either the Neo-Venom Boost or the Super Strength Iconic Power which grants you 100% Weaponization of that particular object you're using to beat mobs or other players with. You can also avoid incoming enemy fire by actually hiding behind a pillar. Basically, you don't get hit by a homing ranged attack of any sort if you around a corner or behind a pillar unless you move out of those spots.

The PvP is more free flowing than WoW's PvP (yes... I have PvP'd in WoW and I know how bad it is) because you can actually fight in the air, on top of or possibly on the sides of buildings or even on the ground. There is also Arena Combat where you can choose a 4 vs. 4 or 8 vs. 8 Arena to battle in such as Australia or STAR Labs.

There is also an endgame for Level 30 characters via the Challenge Modes, Hard Mode Alerts, Duos and Raiding and there are at least two sets of Tier armor for each Origin.

While leveling from 1 - 30, you will have the choice to enter an instance with other people or solo it if you so choose to. You also have the choice if you want to perform in any of the Movement Type Challenges for emblems if you beat the time it has for that particular challenge.

You can also perform AoE's and Pushbacks from a few abilities in your chosen tree's power set; absorb heat to regain health and damage that particular mob if it's on fire via a Fireball/Absorb Heat combo from the Fire Power set's Ignition Tree, etc.

There are six Power Sets to choose from (Fire and Ice are Tanks and DPS, Mental and Gadgets are the Controllers (CC's) and DPS while Sorcery and Nature (includes Shape Shifting) have the Healer role and also some DPS). You're also not limited to just those Power Sets since you can also choose from one set of Iconic Powers at Level 10 such as Heat Vision and again at Level 22 if you want more passive Innates. You can also switch roles anytime before you enter combat so if you switch to Tanking from your DPS before you fight, then you're in your Tanking role until you finish combat or get away from mobs due to low health.

You can also form Leagues (Hero Side) or Legions (Villain Side), aka guilds/clans/etc., if you so choose to or stay solo.

While the initial Character Creation has lots of choices, you will also be able to collect more looks via the gear you loot from mobs. There's also a chance you can collect an entire set of looks such as Contemporary Tech or even have a Harley Quinn looking helm on. You can also lock the features so you can keep your original look from Creation, customize it completely or just a few pieces as you go.

FAQ:

Q. Why should I trust Sony? I've been burned before and they ruined [whatever game - probably Star Wars].

A. Because every gaming company with a track record to speak of has some bad history. If you can't get over it I won't blame you, but you'll steadily restrict yourself to only those companies who've never done anything of consequence before with that attitude, and see how well you do with that.

Q.How will this Destroy WoW since it has a 100% different playstyle?
    A. It's something new - Something that people might like/hate -- it all depends on your opinion. DC universe offers much freedom for a player then what we see nowadays on WoW. It's not like these cloned copied games that try to defeat WoW but can't (Rift) (Starwars old republic) etc.

How is it new? read above.

Q. For how long have this game been in progress?
    A. Ever since 2005 - That's right, 6 years to make the game as refreshing and good as possible.

Q. Will we be seeing tons of endgame at level 30?
    A. Yes, You will be seeing so much endgame at level 30, From dungeons, to raids, to PVP And arena, to defeating Heroes, to defeating villains in quests, to dailies, to meet your favorite Superhero or Villain. To seeing monthly content added, and much more, the next legend is YOU!

Q. Will there be tier gears in raids?
    A. Yes, it depends if your hero or a villain, each get its own unique tier, which makes you stand out. and it also depends on your powers, if you choose ice, ur tier will look all icy. and mentor.

Q. when will this game be released?
    A. 11-1-2011

Q. What is DC universe online?
    A. DC Universe™ Online is the only next-generation massively multiplayer online action game that delivers unparalleled physics-powered combat set in the DC Universe™. This genre-defining game puts the power of theDC Super Heroes and villains into the palm of your hands…The next legend is YOU!

Q. What is "physics-based combat" and how does it distinguish DCUO from other MMO games?
    A. Unlike traditional massively multiplayer games, physics-based combat allows the player to engage in dynamic fighting scenarios with a variety of options available based on the powers of a player and opponent. For example, if I have ice-based powers, I can freeze an enemy in an ice block and hurl him at my opponent.

Q. Will raids be hard? what about healing and tanking? What do healers do to heal? what do tanks do to tank?
    A. Unlike wow, Healers will attack mobs to heal players, depending on your power, if you use mind power, you get through the persons soul, steal the health, and heal ur group, or if your nature, just like druids in WoW, you can shapeshift, and put dots on mobs to heal players. As for tanking, You will be having lots of health to stay alive, from having tank gear. But once you screw up your rotation, you'll have to wait for CDS to get back up, meanwhile. your dead. unless the healer in the group is pro enough to keep you alive.
    As for raids, it is hard, very hard, And very fun knowing Super heroes and villains lore. You'll meet Classic Villains in your raids, that are voice acted by the REAL creators.

You will have two options, either NORMAL Raids, or HEROIC Raids. Heroics are much harder.
    This option also shares with dungeons.

Q. how many levels will be in game and will it be easy and fast to get to it?
    A. Currently, 30 levels. will it be easy? No, You'll have to suffer. Suffer. SUffer. SUFfer SUFFER! to save your world or destroy it.

Q. What are PC Specs for running DCUO?
    A. MINIMUM SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS:
    Windows XP 32 bit
    P4 3.0 GHz or AMD equivalent
    NVIDIA 7800+ or ATI 1950+ Video Card
    1 GB of RAM
    30 GB of Free Hard Drive Space
    Broadband internet connection

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS:
    Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7
    3.0 GHZ CPU Dual Core Processor
    2 GB RAM
    NVIDIA 8800GTX+ or ATI 3800 series+ Video Card
    30 GB of Free Hard Drive Space
    Broadband internet connection

System requirements may change over time and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game.
    Last edited by freakyfreak; 2011-01-08 at 03:42 PM.

It would be nice to see some good from SOE. I can say however it is because of them that I play WoW. (First MMO was EQOA). I don't think it will be bigger than WoW however. Everyone hyped over Warhammer too. We shall see however.

It would be nice to see a viable competitor to WoW, but people always make bold statements about GameX being the next WoW killer and it hasn't happened yet. The develpors need to start small and let their game grow because its good, not because it was marketed to be the next big thing.

***EDIT - because I suck at words***
    Last edited by Fleshbeast92; 2011-01-07 at 06:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everytime an MMO get's released people think it's gonna be the wow killer.. I have yet to see something that is so mind blowing that it would make a substantial amount of wow subscribers switch games.

If you think standing around mashing skills to see who has the most RNG luck = fun, ya then sure it will beat WoW hurrhurr.
    Oh hi

People always talk about things being the wow killer. I say let us cross that bridge when and if we get to it. If something actually is a wow killer, I'd be excited. However I'm not jumping on board every game that claims they are the wow killer. I'll let other people play out the first few make or break months and then make a decision as to whether or not I spend money on testing it out.

not going to happen

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I think that DC Universe will take all 14 million (shut up, I will end you) subscribers from Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    PFF no, the biggest competition I see right now comes out in March. www.riftgame.com I will be buying this.

never. all hype and it'll come crashing down. the only mmo i see being successful is the star wars one. it won't touch wow but it'll do strong I bet.

10+ Year Old Account
    the only mmo that will beat wow is the next mmo bliz makes, but DC Universe looks really good, and will provide some competition.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Amazing. You have nothing to do now that people who aren't you have cleared Ulduar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    PS: Pandas are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixati0n View Post
    Everytime an MMO get's released people think it's gonna be the wow killer.. I have yet to see something that is so mind blowing that it would make a substantial amount of wow subscribers switch games.
    Nuff said.

Why do you have to say it's going to be a WoW killer... everyone says that about every damn game that comes out. Please stop saying that.

Deleted
    i will play it for sure, and i was on the beta. Awesome game, but wow killer....nah. too distinct, and even as a mmo, WoW is ages ahead.

Deleted
    The only thing that will end WoW is the game itself. That being said, DC does look like a fun game, don't really have time to try it out. I very much doubt it's going to be competitive with WoW playerbase. MMO's are extremely fragile in their early stages and are a big gamble in the longrun/endgame. WoW might have some things to learn from DC and vice versa, but from what I've seen from DC, WoW has way much more to offer and seems a lot easier to learn for the new MMO player.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2011-01-07 at 06:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks fun, but it's not even close to being a WoW killer.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashield28 View Post
    PFF no, the biggest competition I see right now comes out in March. www.riftgame.com I will be buying this.
    Watching Jesse Cox play (sure, and somewhat be a derp at it) the Rift beta made me /jizz a little. Rift looks so amazing, I'll be surprised if it doesn't take part of WoW's player base.

OT: DCU is a different twist on the mmo market, but I don't think it'll be a must play.

Deleted
    I rather play Rift

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specops View Post
    Watching Jesse Cox play (sure, and somewhat be a derp at it) the Rift beta made me /jizz a little. Rift looks so amazing, I'll be surprised if it doesn't take part of WoW's player base.

OT: DCU is a different twist on the mmo market, but I don't think it'll be a must play.
    then be prepared to be surprised, because this has been said about every "shiny" game that has came out, remember aion?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Amazing. You have nothing to do now that people who aren't you have cleared Ulduar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    PS: Pandas are awesome.

1/11/11 is january, not november