Deleted

Authenticator Question

I bought a Authenticator a little while back and i was just wondering can they run out of battery?
    As they obviously need power to show the number and communicate with blizzard in whatever way they do to let blizzard know what the code is.
    Thank you in advance

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    They use watch batteries, so they will last long after you stop playing the game. But in theory, yes they can run out since no battery lasts forever uncharged.

The battery in Authenticator's last about 3-5 years, so you shouldn't have to worry about it for quite some time unless you cause physical damage to it like throwing it at the screen when someone does something stupid or spilling your beer on it out of frustration for similar incidents.

Of course they need a battery, but its one of those lithium watch batteries I would guess. Those are pretty much a life time with how these things work sine it uses VERY little power. It will eventually die and I bet if yours died right now Blizz would make you buy another one, but its $6 so oh well.

The display Is LCD, that will last forever or untill you smack it on something, or step/sit on it hard enough to crack those crystals.

In the end it will die, but for the most part youll prolly stop playing WoW before that happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    My phone can die and that makes my mobile authenticator useless. Fortunately I play on a laptop and have a usb charger so it's never been a problem.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Deleted
    When the Authenticator dies, when you can't find it or it gets destroyed, then you can simple call Blizzard and get it removed from the account, I have done it once, removed the Authenticator after I lost it.

But to answer the question, yes - it WILL die, but that will take time.

Deleted
    I think you can un-screw the screw and replace the batteries

Disclaimer I take no-responsibly xD

Quote Originally Posted by Darkestlight View Post
    I think you can un-screw the screw and replace the batteries

Disclaimer I take no-responsibly xD
    No you cannot as removing the battery will reset the authenticator thus rendering it useless. It's one of the anti-tampering features that VASCO implemented on the little guys.

Also, I want to add that they don't "communicate with blizzard" at all. They just calculate the number based off a code and display it.