Just ordered a new laptop. Thoughts on the build?

My Asus G50Vt-X5 finally died on me, so I just ordered a new laptop.

I know.. Laptop.. Gaming? Buuhh.. But I travel a lot.

Malibal Satori

17.3" 1920 x 1080 FHD LED Backlit GlassView Display
    Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM, 8MB L3 Cache, 2.30GHz
    (8GB) 8192MB, PC3-10660/1333MHz DDR3 - 2 SO-DIMM
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5
    750GB 7200rpm 2.5" SATA 300
    8X Multi DVD+/-R/RW RAM Dual-Layer Drive
    Internal 802.11A/B/G/N LAN and Bluetooth Card
    IC Diamond 7 Thermal Compound, CPU & GPU
    3 Year Ltd. Parts and Labor Warranty with 24/7 USA-Based Support
    Integrated 2.0 Megapixel Web Camera
    Integrated 9 in 1 Card Reader
    Integrated Fingerprint Reader
    MALIBAL Software & Drivers Disc
    PowerDVD & Bison Cam Software Package
    Standard Black Carrying Case
    Additional AC Adapter

They wanted an extra $500 to upgrade to the 485m, as well as another $500 to go up to the QM Extreme.. Not in my budget.

Has room to throw in two more memory sticks later on if needed, as well as one more HDD bay.. I might get an SSD eventually.

Oh a Sager/Clevo based lapptop, hadn't heard of that particular reseller before though. I have a different model, it's an NP7280 from xoticpc.com, pretty much same unit as Malibal's NINE X7200, only real difference is Malibal mods their name into it and changes the logo on the lid.

Mine only has the GTX 480M x 2 since the 485 wasn't available at the time.

That thing should play Crysis, albeit not neccesarily at good fps at highest settings.
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-01-11 at 10:34 PM.

Why bother posting after you already ordered? It will run fairly high settings.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Why bother posting after you already ordered? It will run fairly high settings.
    Just wondering what I can expect from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critcryin View Post
    Just wondering what I can expect from it.
    I don't think you could have multisampling and shadows both on highest setting and get good fps in 25 mans, but it should pretty much be full ultra 60+ FPS in most cases. 40+ in 25 man raids with heavy AoE.

Good that you're ordering and then asking about it :P Me spotted a showboater :P

Looks nice though... for a laptop

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    GTX 460 is a great card, would run WoW in any sitaution on ultra with smooth FPS. Great pick
    PM me with any questions/concerns you may have.

Deleted
    You travel a lot so you buy a 17" 4 kg brick? Ouch... Have fun carrying it around ^^

As to the components, this laptop is ridiculously powerful.

10+ Year Old Account
    i reckon 60 without shadows.
    Stockli = Me
    Bladefist = Home

Quite a nice Build you got there mate.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by bachok View Post
    You travel a lot so you buy a 17" 4 kg brick? Ouch... Have fun carrying it around ^^

As to the components, this laptop is ridiculously powerful.
    Trust me, that thing's not a brick, at least not compared to mine
    Mine's the equivalent of the NINE X7200 that Malibal makes, mine only has Dual GTX 480Ms, since the 485 wasn't out yet and weighs in at 5.5kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Gat View Post
    GTX 460 is a great card, would run WoW in any sitaution on ultra with smooth FPS. Great pick
    It's a laptop version of the 460, not nearly as powerful as the desktop one.

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Trust me, that thing's not a brick, at least not compared to mine
    Mine's the equivalent of the NINE X7200 that Malibal makes, mine only has Dual GTX 480Ms, since the 485 wasn't out yet and weighs in at 5.5kg.
    That is the only reason I did not get that one.. I was considering it until I looked closely at the dimensions and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Critcryin View Post
    That is the only reason I did not get that one.. I was considering it until I looked closely at the dimensions and weight.
    And Price Mine was 4 Grand. Also it only has a 30 minute battery life at idle, plus you cannot run anything intensive on battery either. Using the CPU and both gpus on battery would draw too much power and kill the battery.

EDIT: The laptop will actually reduce the power usage of all the components when you unplug it from AC, so if for example the PSU trips(It's 300W, but can go to like 350, but both GPUs are 100 each and the CPU can do 130 on a good day, so it can rarely happen.) it'll just scale everything down to protect the battery. Bad news is if you're in game it slows to total crap due to the minimal speeds.
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-01-12 at 04:54 PM.