Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Boomkin dps a qq thread

Title pretty much says it all. Anyone else noticing that yet again boomkins are getting the shaft? i had a 6339GS at the end of LK and was doing about 15k+ dps. Now I get out dps'd by tanks and everyone else in heroics (equally geared peeps).

1.) cast time on wrath and starfire seem to be a joke now
    2.) Wild Mushroom = the biggest fail ever
    3.) AoE dps sucks and with Hurricane costing over 15k mana its not viable
    4.) I still cant use a mount when in Boomkin form
    5.) Mastery is the worst stat ever for us and yet almost all caster gear contains insane ammounts of it

These are just a few issues I feel I would like to see be addressed however it will never happen. Now lets hear the go roll feral flame posts.

Deleted
    On trash im doing crappy dps too, cant aoe because it costs too much and doesnt do any dmg at all. But on bosses im nearly allways on top dps or 2nd. I dont really have problems with playing boomkin at all.

i don't really agree, ive been a boomkin since vanilla days (well what was considered a boomkin) and atm, were not bad, but we've lost our "sweet its a crit chicken roll out the fun" aspect

-im sure haste will factor in the wrath and starfire
    -mushrooms are a joke but i doubt there meant for end game content.
    -AE dps isnt bad, dot everyone, typhoon, starfall, and just burst one target at a time. huriccane doesnt do nearly enough dmg to be considered better then dotting everyone
    -you cant mount as bear or kitty.... so why should boomkins be any different.
    -mastery isnt bad, its a little down atm cause were in the beginning rungs of gear, boomkins weren't faceroll in heroics in wrath before naxx... why would they be faceroll now...

having said that i do hope they change a few things being that were not so starved for haste or crit, since atm its hard to get a comfortable haste/crit/mastery zone for our dmg to be comparable to other casters

QQ rant over... just give it time. were only a month into cata.....
    TIRION: It is done
    RHONIN: I know it's done, I'm the d00d that did it
    TIRION: But without a lich king to chain it, the scourge will rampage across Azeroth, destroying all life, I am the only one who can bear this solemn burden.
    RHONIN: Because you did such a good job with the coliseum? I thought I fired your ass, Why are you even here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHvaN6MV2OA
    I want you to see how this boomkin is ahead on the meter for the whole fight - he NEVER loses his rank 1 spot. This is all players in a top 5 guild. Seems like boomkins CAN do quite competive DPS, if theyre played by a good player. Doubledot with nature swarm/insect swarm on the fights where it's aviable for more starsurge procs, and refresh dots upon moving.
    If youre talking about HC's, who gives a rats ass about that? The heroic dungeons havent been hard since week 1, and its really nothing to complain about. The reason Boomkin AOE costs so much mana, is because of the incredible burst AOE dps you can get - pop starfall, 3 mushroom explosions (placed correctly), typhoon and hurricane at the same time. Shitloads of mana, but you won't see a more potent AOE except for demo warlocks.

I agree with you on some points and i have found ways around them :

1) Stack haste. reforge everything to haste if possible. Try to buy your warlock's dark intent.
    2) Mushrooms as it is now is a pretty lol ability. Only useful on pull when you can set it up in advance. I have high hope for next patch though. They are increasing the damage by 15% and making the mushrooms instant cast. Only detonate them while in solar eclipse.
    3) Hurricane does suck, and it is expensive. But once you get enough SP (7.5k+), hurricane become pretty good while in solar eclipse. Mine tick for roughly 5-6k/0.75 sec and crit up to 9k. This become amazing on fights like magmaw where you can predict where adds will be. Drop mushrooms that crit for 15k a piece and hurricane. But ONLY while in solar.
    4) Deal with it :P
    5) Boo for mastery. But give it time and blizz will either change the stat mechanic, or it will scale better with a lot more of it. Reforge that shit into haste for the time being

Also, just a general tip that upped my DPS considerably, try multi dotting mobs around. Once i hit an eclipse phase, i stack my buffed dots on every mob that i can (solar = moonfire on every mob, IS only on current kill target, solar = both dots on everything). My dps went up by roughly 5k when i started doing this when possible

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think Boomkin dps is at an ok place atm. I agree on the AoE part though. Horrible, horrible, horrible. But I can live with that. Mushrooms seems to get some attention now with the fix on PTR, so I wouldn't worry to much about that one either. They'll fix it at some point.

On issue 4 and 5 I find myself agreeing completely with your statements. I can't see why we can't be in our beloved chicken-form while mounted. You can easily hop up, as an over sized chicken, on the camels in HoO. So why not on all the other mounts?
    Concerning mastery, I am really disappointed. I was looking forward to this stat a lot before cataclysm hit us. A stat that basically changes depending on your spec. Brilliant! Just too bad to see it so low on our priority list.

But well, you can't have everything. I adore playing my boomkin. It's fun and we don't have to offer sacrifices to the RNG gods anymore (at least not as much as before. Can't hurt to be in their favor though ^^ )

10+ Year Old Account
    We're honestly not bad off
    1. Yea, cast times are slow right now. That is just low haste at this point in raiding, no class has WoTLK cast times right now.
    2. Its easy to hate on wild mushroom when you don't try to use them right. To me they look like a slow on a ten second cd, Sounds perfect for Cho'Gall adds, Nef adds and Magmaw worms. While the damage isn't impressive on 3 GCDs, preplacing them for stuff like the Magmaw worms does yield a nice bit of burst.
    3. AoE is just a little more than "Hurricane & Skillfall lololololol", if you dot everything in sight (especially in Solar Eclipse) you're going to get pretty good AoE damage. Just gotta work at it
    4. There is a macro to get past that... don't exactly remember it off the top of my head but this is no reason to QQ
    5. IF you've actually researched your class you'd know that the difference between Crit and Mastery is so small that while Mastery is our worst secondary stat, its not that bad. And you can always reforge it as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maladorian View Post
    i don't really agree, ive been a boomkin since vanilla days (well what was considered a boomkin) and atm, were not bad, but we've lost our "sweet its a crit chicken roll out the fun" aspect

-AE dps isnt bad, dot everyone, typhoon, starfall, and just burst one target at a time. huriccane doesnt do nearly enough dmg to be considered better then dotting everyone
    -mastery isnt bad, its a little down atm cause were in the beginning rungs of gear, boomkins weren't faceroll in heroics in wrath before naxx... why would they be faceroll now...

having said that i do hope they change a few things being that were not so starved for haste or crit, since atm its hard to get a comfortable haste/crit/mastery zone for our dmg to be comparable to other casters

Pretty much my feelings exactly. Even with the proposed changes to mushrooms, I'm not sure if I'll be using them. Of course I'm going to try it out and see what happens but I don't recall if they even contribute to eclipse like SS does. It'd be easier to omgmoonfarespam than hotkey the shroom and place it while on the move. Haste and crit are definitely an issue right now, more haste than crit though. 1.7 (1.5 with talent for all of 15secs) secs for a wrath kills me every time i see the cast bar come up. Starfire as well. I'm really hoping that it's like you've said, we're in the starter rungs for gear and with time and gear it'll pan out alright.

Also, we shouldn't worry so much about trash DPS numbers. Worry more about the numbers you pull on bosses and the mobs that come alone with a million+ hp. When it comes to trash you should worry more about CC (not breaking it!), focusing on the mob the tank is and in general making the healer's life as easy as possible (the nicer you are to them, the more likely they are to consider you worth saving. Trust the former healer) To beat a dead horse, it's still early into Cata and Blizz is making changes left and right at any given moment.

@ OP: You aren't adapting. As I tell my 4 and 6 year old children on a regular basis: TRY harder . . . not CRY harder.
    Moonkin View Raid Encounter Videos can be found at: Moonkin PoV Vids and Arythorn Youtube Channel
    Calc's Moonkin Guide can be found at: The Moonkin Repository - Calculated Balance PvE Guide
    Calculatéd Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lated/advanced

I partially agree with the OP. Its a shame mastery isnt a good stat for Moonkins. Yet you shouldnt be to sad about not being able to do massive aoe on trash, trash isnt that important.

Mounting concerned. When you are a cat or bear, you can mount without any problems (you automaticly change to casterform). Moonkin is bugged, and gives an error when you try.

go into cat form or bear form and hit ur mount button. u will start casting and will mount. u cannot do this in boomkin. its BS.
    Mater accroding to EJ forums / guides says its a joke and worst stat
    its quite stupid that as a PURE CLASS CASTER thats right i said pure class cuz druids dont have an option for hybrid specs, that we have no real viable aoe other than starfall wich is very limited because of aggro issues

Quote Originally Posted by Condemner View Post
    Mounting concerned. When you are a cat or bear, you can mount without any problems (you automaticly change to casterform). Moonkin is bugged, and gives an error when you try.

i know about that bug/error/w.e but is is that hard to click an extra button (inb4 in tight situations) just keybind it or macro it... shaping outta forms doesnt trigger the GCD so you can unshapeshift and mount in one macro...

here copy paste it...

"/cast Moonkin Form
    /use (insert mount name here)"
    Last edited by maladorian; 2011-01-11 at 07:33 AM.
    TIRION: It is done
    RHONIN: I know it's done, I'm the d00d that did it
    TIRION: But without a lich king to chain it, the scourge will rampage across Azeroth, destroying all life, I am the only one who can bear this solemn burden.
    RHONIN: Because you did such a good job with the coliseum? I thought I fired your ass, Why are you even here?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    I want you to see how this boomkin is ahead on the meter for the whole fight - he NEVER loses his rank 1 spot. This is all players in a top 5 guild. Seems like boomkins CAN do quite competive DPS, if theyre played by a good player. Doubledot with nature swarm/insect swarm on the fights where it's aviable for more starsurge procs, and refresh dots upon moving.
    If youre talking about HC's, who gives a rats ass about that? The heroic dungeons havent been hard since week 1, and its really nothing to complain about. The reason Boomkin AOE costs so much mana, is because of the incredible burst AOE dps you can get - pop starfall, 3 mushroom explosions (placed correctly), typhoon and hurricane at the same time. Shitloads of mana, but you won't see a more potent AOE except for demo warlocks.
    What the hell is natures swarm eh?

and dk's are pumping out over 20k plus dps as aoe so dont tell me about burst aoe cuz yea. thats in a 5m

Overall, I've not felt comfortable playing my Boomkin since Cata hit, levelling in ICC gear and dying due to my crappy self heals and my slow casts wasn't fun at all.

But as soon as I hit 85, and started hitting instances and heroics it's been a lot better, yes for now avoid Mushrooms, they're pretty lame but hey? Out of the 10 classes how got an amazing spell that's useful everywhere after 80?

Yeah, mastery is a bit lame it possibly needs a redesign later on, or haste stacking will equate to mastery becoming more viable than crit eventually due to the amount of time we're in eclipse being more often or whatever...

The mounting thing definately is a huge problem... It's not fun at all, I find it hard to believe that my Worgen, shapeshifting all over the place cannot switch from Boomkin to getting down on all fours. It's a silly thing and I'd love it to be reverted to how it was.

AOE wise, I'm not a fan either so I avoid it, why waste 1/5 of my entire mana pool using Hurricane and stuff when I can strafe left and right spamming Moonfire for like 25 mana or whatever it is? Heck tab, strafe, spam moonfire get some nice instant Starsurges. Fact is, if we are bad at aoe I won't mind, in raids where there's aoe needed, let the other classes do it, let your raid leader know Moonkins suck for it, and stick on the boss, it's easier for you and you're potentially helping with that enrage timer or something. In places where Starfall is a problem, if you need it, glyph it, the overall bonuses you might gain from it may outweigh anotehr of your glyphs in that situation. Personally I'd lvoe to see my raids getting to the point where we're saying: @Ok guys, new boss soon re-glyph and stuff so you're the best you can be" It's the same as bringing buff food in my opinion now that the changes to the glyph system have been implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by ironstone View Post
    go into cat form or bear form and hit ur mount button. u will start casting and will mount. u cannot do this in boomkin. its BS.
    /cancelform
    /Use [mountname]
    There, that should do it. simple macro > your petty problem
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzardcashshop
    tree druids do about 50-60% overhealing. divide their HPS by half.
    Math!

Quote Originally Posted by Underfoot View Post
    There, that should do it. simple macro > your petty problem
    not to nitpick but that doesn't work. However, boomkin dps s fine. I am in top 3 dps in any fight. I will agree mushrooms are a shameful, badly executed idea.

What up moonkins, you have no right to complain about aoe after Wrath of the Starfall King.

um really? funny considering my mage with worse gear pulls 12k+ dps and its not an adaption problem i know how to play. its a lack of proper itemization stacked with changes that don't really make the class any better (like a sidegrade for gear only talents) as well i feel that after playing balance (started my druid june 14th 2005) / boomkin, i know how to play i simply dont agree with how they are forcing us to play.

I also dont like the eclipse now in its current form. I like the fact that if we were in an instance and i was on a solar eclipse but then the encounter required a Bloodlust well on blood lust i want my lunar so i would time it to allow solar to fall off and then proc a lunar. u cant do that anymore your just stuck and to me its a very limited playstyle.

Deleted
    Lol @ OP

Moonkins do great DPS. Atleast I do.

Snore
    Maybe you think you do, you should come check out my guildies. In 25m we got a 4 dk's pushing 45k+ dps. I dont see moonkins coming close to that.